Tndeer Logo

Page 2 of 4 <1234>
Topic Options
#3156274 - 02/08/13 01:23 PM Re: Unmanned helos resupplying Marines [Re: Dodge Man]
BamaProud
12 Point

Loc: Shelby County, TN

Originally Posted By: Dodge Man
 Originally Posted By: BamaProud

I wonder how long it will be before the freight/shipping airlines(UPS/Fed Ex) begin using unmanned aircraft. After all, the vast majority of accidents are caused by the pilot. ...and they could save a lot of money in salaries.

Technically the plane is unmanned but is still being flown by a pilot back at the base correct? There not flying there self.

I am not 100% sure but it doesn't sound like it in the article:

Quote:

While it supports a pilot, K-MAX can fly by itself day or night and at higher altitudes with a larger payload than any other rotary wing unmanned craft, according to Lockheed Martin.

Cool technology nevertheless.

#3156281 - 02/08/13 01:27 PM Re: Unmanned helos resupplying Marines [Re: BamaProud]
Dodge Man
12 Point

Loc: Dyersburg, TN

Originally Posted By: Dodge Man

I wonder how long it will be before the freight/shipping airlines(UPS/Fed Ex) begin using unmanned aircraft. After all, the vast majority of accidents are caused by the pilot. ...and they could save a lot of money in salaries.

Technically the plane is unmanned but is still being flown by a pilot back at the base correct? There not flying there self.

I am not 100% sure but it doesn't sound like it in the article:

Quote:

While it supports a pilot, K-MAX can fly by itself day or night and at higher altitudes with a larger payload than any other rotary wing unmanned craft, according to Lockheed Martin.

Cool technology nevertheless.

http://www.lockheedmartin.com/us/products/kmax.html

I tried looking it up, I really can't tell for sure. It says they can be flow remotely but it dose sound like they can fly them self if the need be. Im not sure how that works and I guess its so new that they really want explain how it works to us.

http://www.talkinfowl.com/

#3156285 - 02/08/13 01:30 PM Re: Unmanned helos resupplying Marines [Re: Dodge Man]
BamaProud
12 Point

Thanks for the link. Very cool.

#3156286 - 02/08/13 01:31 PM Re: Unmanned helos resupplying Marines [Re: Dodge Man]
trealtree
16 Point

Loc: Middle Tennessee

Where I work at we make ______ for _________ and it is pretty neat. That's about all I can say about that. \:\)

#3156298 - 02/08/13 01:44 PM Re: Unmanned helos resupplying Marines [Re: BamaProud]
Wildcat
Non-Typical

Loc: Western Ky.

Originally Posted By: Wildcat
It would make them MORE liable.

...I don't see how it would make them any MORE or LESS liable.

they would be 100% liable for any crashes period.

Uh no. In any airplane crash they look at every single part of it to find out what caused that crash. Was it the plane, pilot error, software, hardware, bomb, highjack, act of God etc??

So who's responsible and how much are they liable for?? Was it the airline, plane manufacture, software manufacture, etc?

By taking the human pilot out all the others become much more liable.

#3156304 - 02/08/13 01:53 PM Re: Unmanned helos resupplying Marines [Re: trealtree]
44fanatic
12 Point

Loc: Clarksville, Montgomery Cnty

Dodgeman beat me to the Lockheed site. Yall need to check the video.

As far as crashing and liability...I would want a manned aircraft flying overhead. There have been several instances where a pilot has been able to choose where they were going crash and was able to reduce the amount of damage or injury.

#3156305 - 02/08/13 01:54 PM Re: Unmanned helos resupplying Marines [Re: Wildcat]
BamaProud
12 Point

As I understand it Commercial Pilots are immune/protected from civil liability unless gross negligence can be proven(drunk or asleep or something) A simple mistake will not put them at risk for criminal or civil prosecution. It falls back on the company they work for.

...and in fact most of the time (well over half of the time) the pilot IS responsible for the accident. I think shipping companies might look at this as a way to cut cost(salaries of pilots) and reduce aircraft accidents.
http://planecrashinfo.com/cause.htm

#3156309 - 02/08/13 01:55 PM Re: Unmanned helos resupplying Marines [Re: 44fanatic]
BamaProud
12 Point

Originally Posted By: 44fanatic
There have been several instances where a pilot has been able to choose where they were going crash and was able to reduce the amount of damage or injury.

That is a good point.

...and those videos are cool as heck!

#3156317 - 02/08/13 02:08 PM Re: Unmanned helos resupplying Marines [Re: ferg]
TAFKAP
14 Point

Loc: Memphis

Originally Posted By: ferg
Sure was a 'stink' when drone 'pilots' got to wear the same 'wings' as real pilots on their uniforms - all kinds of heck being raised about that -

ferg....

Wings are earned after the completion of flight training.....dully earned, regardless of the equipment flown. I bet some ego-driven fighter pilots might object to the whirly-bird drivers wearing "wings" as well. ;\)

#3156332 - 02/08/13 02:23 PM Re: Unmanned helos resupplying Marines [Re: Wildcat]
Wes Parrish
16 Point

Loc: Knoxville-Dover-Union City, TN

Originally Posted By: Wildcat
By taking the human pilot out all the others become much more liable.

I agree.
Also think there is more potential for something bad to go wrong when there is no human physically on board who could manually prevent a crash and/or direct the crash away from any particular location where people are concentrated (i.e. school, hotel, etc.).

Page 2 of 4 <1234>

Moderator:  RUGER, Unicam, gtk, Tennessee Todd, Lakeland Charlie, Cuttin Caller, CBU93, stretch, Outdoor Lady, TurkeyBurd, MAN, Bobby G, Kimber45, Crappie Luck, Kirk 
Hop to:
Top Posters
RUGER
Deer Assassin
BSK
Crappie Luck
spitndrum
Newest Members
Amy pesterfield, Blood seeker, fghijk604245, top_of_the_foodchain, infantryleadtheway
13288 Registered Users
Who's Online
101 registered (Southpaw, bassassassin7, downwind, penndog, FISH, SPickle, 11 invisible) and 130 anonymous users online.
Forum Stats
13288 Members
42 Forums
85364 Topics
1031473 Posts

Max Online: 788 @ 11/11/13 08:06 PM
Moon Phase
CURRENT MOON
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5
6 7 8 9 10 11 12
13 14 15 16 17 18 19
20 21 22 23 24 25 26
27 28 29 30
Forum Donations
The TnDeer.Com Deer Talk Forum is for Tennessee Deer Hunters by Tennessee Deer Hunters. If you enjoy using our Talk Forum and would like to contribute to help in it's up-keep. Just submit your contribution by clicking on the DONATE button below and paying with PayPal or a major credit card. Any amount is much appreciated. Thanks for your support!

TN Burn Safe

Generated in 0.202 seconds in which 0.002 seconds were spent on a total of 15 queries. Zlib compression enabled.