#3154876 - 02/07/13 10:36 AM Re: # of hunters in group [Re: cecil30-30]
LB FANATIC
6 Point

Loc: Middle TN

Originally Posted By: cecil30-30
 Originally Posted By: LB FANATIC
explain : jump shooting ?
I havent hunted with beagles in years..
Its where you shoot the rabbit as soon as it jumps up and not giving the dogs a chance to run it.I just have one beagle,and am hunting by myself 90% of the time,and I jump shoot them when ever I get the chance.Some people get down right angry over it.Their dogs their rules.

Thanks Cecil, agreed their dogs, their rules..although Ive never personally seen anyone get bent out of shape about that though.

#3155005 - 02/07/13 12:47 PM Re: # of hunters in group [Re: elkman]
elkman
4 Point

Loc: wayne county tn

There is a BIG difference between going hunting and jump shooting some rabbits for fun or for meat than shooting them in front of someone elses dogs.. The problem here lies with inviting someone to come to your place and ask them to bring their dogs, and then you shoot the rabbits without using the said dogs that someone went out of their way to bring for your enjoyment!!!!!! my .02

2 Thessalonians 3:10

10 For even when we were with you, we commanded you this: If anyone will not work, neither shall he eat

#3155116 - 02/07/13 02:43 PM Re: # of hunters in group [Re: elkman]
Mike Belt
TnDeer Old Timer
16 Point

Loc: Lakeland, Tn.

I've hunted with several hunters but I generally never liked hunting with over 3 or 4 people. It all depends on the terrain you're hunting. Now most people cut the cotton stalks right after they pick. Years ago most fields would stand in cotton stalk all winter. A rabbit in a big cotton field is apt to stay in that cotton field in front of the dogs. In my book then (or any like circumstance) is when you needed more hunters. Just as well thee are times that jump shooting is advisable. I don't know about you guys but whenever my dogs got on a rabbit you just about couldn't call them off. There are places that I didn't want a rabbit to get into. An example would be if I was hunting a ditchrow next to a huge cottonfield like mentioned above I'd just as soon kill the rabbit before he had a chance to get into the field and run forever and a day. Another instance might be if they jumped a rabbit next to a road or highway where there was any chance of them being hit by a car. I tried steering away from these areas but sometimes that was impossible.

#3155425 - 02/07/13 07:02 PM Re: # of hunters in group [Re: elkman]
Gut Bucket
4 Point

Loc: Williamson County

Most of the beaglers I hunt with want you to let the first rabbit or two run so the dogs get to have their fun and we get to enjoy the chase. But after a couple of good chases you shoot when you get an clear opportunity..if there are plenty of rabbits. If not many rabbits, they may want them to have a good chase on all of them...but never quick shoot the first couple.

Teddy Roosevelt

#3156007 - 02/08/13 09:52 AM Re: # of hunters in group [Re: Gut Bucket]
huntintn
8 Point

Loc: savannah,TN

Originally Posted By: Gut Bucket
Most of the beaglers I hunt with want you to let the first rabbit or two run so the dogs get to have their fun and we get to enjoy the chase. But after a couple of good chases you shoot when you get an clear opportunity..if there are plenty of rabbits. If not many rabbits, they may want them to have a good chase on all of them...but never quick shoot the first couple.
This is how I like it, My farm is wrapped up with rabbit so shooting some is no problem. I expect everyone huntig to wear orange usally let the dogs make atleast one circle on every jump but have killed several that dogs pushed out while running another.

#3156132 - 02/08/13 11:31 AM Re: # of hunters in group [Re: huntintn]
rukiddin?
8 Point

Loc: E. Tenn

I never liked hunting with strangers, still don't to this day. We usually had a core group of 4-6 that were all experienced rabbit hunters. Kids NEVER went unsupervised. We have had as many 12-15 but we were hunting HUGE cutovers with thick replanted pines. Tons of rabbits, but the cover was so thick most rabbits would get by anyways. Dogs would run all day and never stop and we might kill 10 rabbits. A lot of places, we would shoot just as many rabbits "slippin" as we would that were being ran by the dogs. You never knew until the dogs never came by.

Jumpshooting was never a big deal. As long as the dogs were safe, we never cared. But then again, we always hunted places with very good rabbit populations.

"I'm gone to carolina in my mind"

Page 2 of 2 <12

Moderator:  RUGER, Unicam, CBU93, stretch, Cuttin Caller, Bobby G, Kimber45, Kirk, Crappie Luck 
Hop to:
Top Posters
RUGER
Deer Assassin
BSK
Crappie Luck
spitndrum
Newest Members
Fish N Hunt, bowednlazy, ULTIMATE TARGETS, Philski, Original Booger
13295 Registered Users
Who's Online
98 registered (GFY, caretaker, leader, encore06, woodsman87, stik, 12 invisible) and 195 anonymous users online.
Forum Stats
13295 Members
42 Forums
85622 Topics
1034606 Posts

Max Online: 788 @ 11/11/13 08:06 PM
Moon Phase
CURRENT MOON
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5
6 7 8 9 10 11 12
13 14 15 16 17 18 19
20 21 22 23 24 25 26
27 28 29 30
Forum Donations
The TnDeer.Com Deer Talk Forum is for Tennessee Deer Hunters by Tennessee Deer Hunters. If you enjoy using our Talk Forum and would like to contribute to help in it's up-keep. Just submit your contribution by clicking on the DONATE button below and paying with PayPal or a major credit card. Any amount is much appreciated. Thanks for your support!

TN Burn Safe

Generated in 0.239 seconds in which 0.001 seconds were spent on a total of 15 queries. Zlib compression enabled.