#3143388 - 01/29/13 06:44 AM Re: Question? Guns at work. [Re: MUP]
worriedman
6 Point

Loc: Bells

Originally Posted By: MUP
/Quote/ Actually TCA Code 39-11-611 spells it out:

39-11-611. Self-defense.

(a) As used in this section, unless the context otherwise requires:

(1) "Business" means a commercial enterprise or establishment owned by a person as all or part of the person's livelihood or is under the owner's control or who is an employee or agent of the owner with responsibility for protecting persons and property and shall include the interior and exterior premises of the business;

/end quote//

Did not know this.

Yeah, a "business" can arm anyone they designate as "responsible" for security, no need for a permit to carry for them to do so, pick your poison if you are a "business" owner. Some "citizens" are more equal than others.

Life Member NRA, TFA, Tennesseans for Liberty

#3144007 - 01/29/13 02:22 PM Re: Question? Guns at work. [Re: worriedman]
BigAl
16 Point

Loc: Fayette County, TN US

I was under the impression the parking lot bill did not pass because it included schools in the provision and some of the reps didn't agree with that part of the provision. I was thinking they were going to remove the school portion, which would give the bill a better chance of passage. Of course, this was before the Sandy Hook slayings, so it could change either way now, depending on the stance you take on the subject.

IMO, prohibiting me from keeping a gun in my car basically extends that to the point where I leave the house for work. Since a car is considered my property, I believe an employer should be allowed to ban that right as long as its locked away and I have a legal right to have the firearm.

#3144019 - 01/29/13 02:29 PM Re: Question? Guns at work. [Re: BigAl]
89cherokeelimited
6 Point

Loc: TN, Sumner, Hendersonville

Even with my works rules i've decided my gun will stay in my glove compartment. It stays locked and in a secure parking garage.

#3145285 - 01/30/13 09:00 AM Re: Question? Guns at work. [Re: 89cherokeelimited]
-DRM-
6 Point

Loc: Spring Hill, TN

Here is a good start:

House Bill 108, sponsored by state Representative Sheila Butt (R-64), provides that a public or private employer cannot require an applicant for employment or an employee to disclose information about the ownership or storage of a firearm in the applicant or employee's vehicle.

#3145307 - 01/30/13 09:11 AM Re: Question? Guns at work. [Re: -DRM-]
Redfred16
8 Point

Loc: Hartland, WI

Originally Posted By: -DRM-
 Originally Posted By: Redfred16
See I disagree that the final step in private property is the land, the actual car is the final stage of private property and since a employer has no rights on your property, they can't say what can or cannot be in or on your property.

I guess this is a chicken or the egg scenerio.

Then I can come park my car in your front yard and you can't stop me?

See the inconsistency in your position?

Not really since my lawn isn't a parking lot. But if I were to invite you onto my property and tell you to park there, whatever you have in that car(that's legal to own) is your business not mine. It becomes my business when it comes out and I have to determine if it's a threat or not.

"Recon Ready"
Airborne and Air Assault Blood Wings Worn Here

#3152439 - 02/05/13 07:39 AM Re: Question? Guns at work. [Re: Redfred16]
-DRM-
6 Point

So if this is really about freedom - why do the parking lot bills only allow Permit holders to leave a gun in their car? If this is only for permit holders - then this isn't about rights, it is about permit holders wanting to get THEIR way, everyone else is left out.

Yet another reason I won't support this nonsense.

#3152441 - 02/05/13 07:40 AM Re: Question? Guns at work. [Re: Redfred16]
-DRM-
6 Point

Originally Posted By: Redfred16
[quote=-DRM-]
Not really since my lawn isn't a parking lot. But if I were to invite you onto my property and tell you to park there, whatever you have in that car(that's legal to own) is your business not mine. It becomes my business when it comes out and I have to determine if it's a threat or not.

That may be where you draw the line (in vs. out of the car), but that is an arbitrary line set there because YOU want to be able to carry on someone else's property.

#3156022 - 02/08/13 10:00 AM Re: Question? Guns at work. [Re: -DRM-]
-DRM-
6 Point

So nobody else has a problem with this "right" to bear arms on someone else's property only being for carry permit holders, and not for any other citizen?

Or is this like I said - case of permit holders getting what they want, everyone else can fend for themselves?

#3156119 - 02/08/13 11:22 AM Re: Question? Guns at work. [Re: -DRM-]
BamaProud
12 Point

Loc: Shelby County, TN

content Online
 Originally Posted By: -DRM-
So nobody else has a problem with this "right" to bear arms on someone else's property only being for carry permit holders, and not for any other citizen?

Or is this like I said - case of permit holders getting what they want, everyone else can fend for themselves?

Does the parking lot bill(s) ONLY allow permit holders to possess a firearm in their vehicle, or can non permit holders heading to the firing range or hunting camp after work(legal transportation of a firearm) have their guns in the parking lot as well?

...If its worded ONLY favoring permit holders I think it is flawed.

#3156125 - 02/08/13 11:28 AM Re: Question? Guns at work. [Re: BamaProud]
BamaProud
12 Point

Loc: Shelby County, TN

content Online
I have read all of this and its been a good discussion.

Sounds to me like -DMR- equates property rights with rights given by our Constitution.

I don't think that is the case at all. Constitutional RIGHTS take precedence over a persons or businesses "rights" -more accurately called preferences, desires or wants- all the time.

Page 8 of 9 « First<56789>

Moderator:  RUGER, Unicam, gtk, Tennessee Todd, Lakeland Charlie, Cuttin Caller, CBU93, stretch, Outdoor Lady, TurkeyBurd, MAN, Bobby G, Kimber45, Crappie Luck, Kirk 
Hop to:
Top Posters
RUGER
Deer Assassin
BSK
Crappie Luck
spitndrum
Newest Members
PEhunter, Amy pesterfield, Blood seeker, fghijk604245, top_of_the_foodchain
13289 Registered Users
Who's Online
75 registered (darn2ten, DaveB, Jon, Snake, chimneyman, Harvester, 11 invisible) and 166 anonymous users online.
Forum Stats
13289 Members
42 Forums
85382 Topics
1031710 Posts

Max Online: 788 @ 11/11/13 08:06 PM
Moon Phase
CURRENT MOON
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5
6 7 8 9 10 11 12
13 14 15 16 17 18 19
20 21 22 23 24 25 26
27 28 29 30
Forum Donations
The TnDeer.Com Deer Talk Forum is for Tennessee Deer Hunters by Tennessee Deer Hunters. If you enjoy using our Talk Forum and would like to contribute to help in it's up-keep. Just submit your contribution by clicking on the DONATE button below and paying with PayPal or a major credit card. Any amount is much appreciated. Thanks for your support!

TN Burn Safe

Generated in 0.241 seconds in which 0.005 seconds were spent on a total of 15 queries. Zlib compression enabled.