Page 5 of 8 « First<34567>Last »
Topic Options
#3157319 - 02/09/13 12:23 PM Re: eating in memphis [Re: Andy S.]
Poser
Mud Dauber
16 Point

Loc: Tennessee

Originally Posted By: Andy S.
Poser/TAFKAP - have you eaten at Central BBQ downtown? Reason I ask is I have twice, and was not impressed either time. The first time was at 4PM so I chalked it up as I visited at non-peak hours, thus maybe the cause for the so-so food. Then just two weeks ago I hit it again at lunch with a good friend and it was less desirable than the first visit. The BBQ was dry and the buns were not fresh, but not totally stale either, sort of dry if you will. The greens were ok. I am not sure if this is just another example of "Andy luck" or what, but I've made up my mind that if I want Central BBQ, I'm heading to Central Avenue. Just thought I'd share this with you two and get your opinion.

hmm. I have only eaten at the Midtown location. I've never heard anything bad about the Summer location, so I assumed that they were all ran the same.

Wild & crazy, can't be stopped. Only the strong will survive.

Keep your knife sharp and your skillet greasy.

http://www.GoCarnivore.com

#3157984 - 02/09/13 09:46 PM Re: eating in memphis [Re: huntinkev]
TAFKAP
14 Point

Loc: Memphis

Originally Posted By: huntinkev
I'm not real sure but the address said presidents island channel drive. Is that near THE Presidents island

I assume you're referring to the TWRA quota area, right? Yes, that is the general vicinity. Keep your eyes peeled on either side of the causeway for turkeys. You may or may not see some deer while you're out there.

Unfortunately, you're not really just 5-minutes close to many places to eat. There's a Creole place on Florida street, not far from the causeway, that's pretty good. It's a little pricey for what you get, but real friendly folks in there. It's called Deja Vu

#3157985 - 02/09/13 09:48 PM Re: eating in memphis [Re: Andy S.]
TAFKAP
14 Point

Poser/TAFKAP - have you eaten at Central BBQ downtown? Reason I ask is I have twice, and was not impressed either time. The first time was at 4PM so I chalked it up as I visited at non-peak hours, thus maybe the cause for the so-so food. Then just two weeks ago I hit it again at lunch with a good friend and it was less desirable than the first visit. The BBQ was dry and the buns were not fresh, but not totally stale either, sort of dry if you will. The greens were ok. I am not sure if this is just another example of "Andy luck" or what, but I've made up my mind that if I want Central BBQ, I'm heading to Central Avenue. Just thought I'd share this with you two and get your opinion.

Yes, since I work in Frayser, it's a lot closer to me than the original. I've been no less than 5 times since they've opened, and it's always met my expectations. They have been good about not getting my sides right, but when I tell them what I ordered, they just bring it to me. I always order the pork plate, rather than a sandwich, and the pork has yet to disappoint. Usually, I'm taking customers there, so we order ribs. Always great.

#3157991 - 02/09/13 09:51 PM Re: eating in memphis [Re: Andy S.]
bowhunterfanatic
8 Point

Loc: McNairy County

content Online

That's strange. I've eaten it 3 or 4 times probably and I haven't noticed a difference. That could be because I almost always eat nachos though. The banana pudding is definitely as good!

#3158312 - 02/10/13 08:39 AM Re: eating in memphis [Re: bowhunterfanatic]
Andy S.
TnDeer Old Timer
14 Point

Loc: Atoka, TN

Originally Posted By: bowhunterfanatic
That could be because I almost always eat nachos though.
Funny you mention this. The last time I went at lunch, my buddy got the nachos and he said they were fabulous. I instantly reached over and grabbed a chip with his meat on it and I swear I thought he ordered it from another restaurant. I even made the remark that it seems as if the meat on my sandwich (pretty dry) and the meat on his nachos (moist and tasty) were from two different sources. He laughed at me and we carried on. I really like the location and atmosphere at the downtown location, so I will most likely go back and either order the nachos or the ribs, and maybe the banana pudding.

If I had saved all the money I spent on hunting, I'd spend it on hunting.

#3159035 - 02/10/13 07:07 PM Re: eating in memphis [Re: Andy S.]
TAFKAP
14 Point

You might've gotten the bitter end of a shoulder, while he got the first pull off a fresh one ;\)

#3160192 - 02/11/13 07:40 PM Re: eating in memphis [Re: TAFKAP]
huntinkev
8 Point

Loc: East Tenn

Day 1: Central BBQ. The ribs were some of the best restaurant ribs I've gotten. Tenderness was dead on. They had a bite to them that was good not overwhelming.
I got some on my forehead and my tongue beat me to death to get to it. Banana pudding was wonderful.
The staff was super nice. I was by myself and one of the ladies working came and chatted with me for awhile. The pitmaster took me back in kitchen and showed me all about the smoker.

I give it a 9.6 out of 10. A definite must stop

#3160229 - 02/11/13 08:07 PM Re: eating in memphis [Re: huntinkev]
Poser
Mud Dauber
16 Point

Day 1: Central BBQ.

I give it a 9.6 out of 10. A definite must stop

Glad it worked out for you. What's next? Gus' Fried Chicken?

#3160358 - 02/11/13 09:07 PM Re: eating in memphis [Re: Poser]
huntinkev
8 Point

Loc: East Tenn

Originally Posted By: Poser

I was kind of thinking that have not quiet decided yet but I did have that thought. I passed it on my way to central.

#3160361 - 02/11/13 09:09 PM Re: eating in memphis [Re: huntinkev]
Poser
Mud Dauber
16 Point

Originally Posted By: Poser

I was kind of thinking that have not quiet decided yet but I did have that thought. I passed it on my way to central.

Dark meat. And don't forget the fried pickles and a 40 oz of beer \:\)

Page 5 of 8 « First<34567>Last »

Moderator:  RUGER, Unicam, gtk, Tennessee Todd, Lakeland Charlie, Cuttin Caller, CBU93, stretch, TurkeyBurd, MAN, Bobby G, Kimber45, Crappie Luck 
Hop to:
Top Posters
RUGER
Deer Assassin
BSK
Crappie Luck
spitndrum
Newest Members
AdamMcK, purrpplee, tnduckhunter, draw2drop, Oh Deer
13113 Registered Users
Who's Online
120 registered (david k., Southpaw, fullstream, sgtwebb1, z7x, caretaker, 15 invisible) and 130 anonymous users online.
Forum Stats
13113 Members
42 Forums
89420 Topics
1045806 Posts

Max Online: 788 @ 11/11/13 08:06 PM
Moon Phase
CURRENT MOON
August
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Forum Donations
The TnDeer.Com Deer Talk Forum is for Tennessee Deer Hunters by Tennessee Deer Hunters. If you enjoy using our Talk Forum and would like to contribute to help in it's up-keep. Just submit your contribution by clicking on the DONATE button below and paying with PayPal or a major credit card. Any amount is much appreciated. Thanks for your support!

TN Burn Safe

Generated in 0.213 seconds in which 0.001 seconds were spent on a total of 14 queries. Zlib compression enabled.