Tndeer Logo

Page 5 of 7 « First<34567>
Topic Options
#3154886 - 02/07/13 10:44 AM Re: Strangest thing you ever caught while fishing?? [Re: Outdoor life]
Unicam Administrator
Grumpaw
16 Point

Loc: Dallas, GA. & Cookeville, TN

Originally Posted By: Outdoor life
 Originally Posted By: Unicam
Lets see, have caught a bat, a pelican, used to catch bullfrogs with small bass poppers and a 70's vintage F-250 with a camper on it with my flyrod....sure did destroy that rod and reel!

Hold it?! You caught a truck? I have to know, how.
Now if you're anything like me at fly fishing, many things behind and above me have been hooked haha.

I was flyfishing Pass Lake in Washington state a long long time ago and on a false cast I hooked the mirror of a 70's era Ford F-250 that was going down the highway. My line was coming off the reel so fast it was crazy. I started to grab the line and glad I didnt. When it hit the end of the backing on the reel it poped off, but so did the reel pop off the pole, destroying an old bamboo rod and good fly reel that my grandfather had given me.

John 15:13

#3154968 - 02/07/13 12:11 PM Re: Strangest thing you ever caught while fishing?? [Re: AllOutdoors]
stratos195
4 Point

Loc: lebanon tn

Caught a beaver in the tail, now that was a fight!!!
#3155352 - 02/07/13 05:58 PM Re: Strangest thing you ever caught while fishing?? [Re: Unicam]
Outdoor life
6 Point

Loc: Jackson Co. TN

Originally Posted By: Outdoor life
Lets see, have caught a bat, a pelican, used to catch bullfrogs with small bass poppers and a 70's vintage F-250 with a camper on it with my flyrod....sure did destroy that rod and reel!

Hold it?! You caught a truck? I have to know, how.
Now if you're anything like me at fly fishing, many things behind and above me have been hooked haha.

I was flyfishing Pass Lake in Washington state a long long time ago and on a false cast I hooked the mirror of a 70's era Ford F-250 that was going down the highway. My line was coming off the reel so fast it was crazy. I started to grab the line and glad I didnt. When it hit the end of the backing on the reel it poped off, but so did the reel pop off the pole, destroying an old bamboo rod and good fly reel that my grandfather had given me.

Oh that sucks! And you probably couldn't do that again if you tried, even though I hope no one would.

"I don't know the key to success, but the key to failure is trying to please everybody"

#3159652 - 02/11/13 10:56 AM Re: Strangest thing you ever caught while fishing?? [Re: Outdoor life]
gustaf
Button

Loc: Tenn

Caught the remains of a Coleman lantern several years ago. The glass was gone, tank full of mud and about rusted away, but I still have the brass parts off of it. A cheap spincast rod & reel; hooked it through one of the guides.
#3160481 - 02/11/13 10:19 PM Re: Strangest thing you ever caught while fishing?? [Re: pressfit]
B.D.
8 Point

Loc: Hendersonville TN

One time I was fishing alone at night for stripers, throwing big Cordell Redfins. I was catching quite a few fish - not any big ones, but there were schoolies busting bait all around, and the action was fast.

Anyway, at one point I landed a small striper that was probably about 20 inches long, and as I lifted him into the boat, he came unhooked and fell in the floorboard of my boat. I set down my rod and absentmindedly laid the Redfin in my boat seat, and then I grabbed the striper off the floor of my boat and tossed him back in the lake.

And that's where I messed up. I forgot the Redfin was sitting in my seat, and I sat back down on it. Two prongs of the treble hooks went right through the coveralls and jeans I was wearing and stuck me right in the butt. And at the same time, a few more prongs of the treble hooks went into the vinyl cover of my boat seat. So then the hooks were in my butt, and more hooks were in my seat, and the Redfin was holding the seat against my butt so that I could neither remove the seat from my butt nor get a hand into a place where I could remove the hooks from my backside.

I had to remove the seat from the pedestal, drive the boat back to the ramp with the pedestal seat sitting on top of the other seat (THANK GOD the lake was deserted and I didn't have to cross any boat wakes and drive the hooks further into my butt), then trailer my boat with the boat seat on my butt, and then drive back to my girlfriend's apartment with the pedestal seat sitting on top of my driver's seat in my car. At that point, with the assistance of my girlfriend, we decided my coveralls and jeans were less expensive than a replacement boat seat, so we cut the seat out of my pants, got the hooks out of my butt, and then carefully removed the other hooks from the boat seat with minimal damage.

So I guess the strangest thing I've caught while fishing is my own butt, though at least I did learn a valuable lesson about looking where I sit.

bd

#3160488 - 02/11/13 10:25 PM Re: Strangest thing you ever caught while fishing?? [Re: B.D.]
ZachMarkus
6 Point

Loc: Lawrence county, TN

2 alligators one time when I was in Florida and about a 30 or 40 lb beaver on Wilson lake lol
#3160516 - 02/11/13 11:08 PM Re: Strangest thing you ever caught while fishing?? [Re: B.D.]
catman529
spiderboy
16 Point

Loc: Franklin TN

Originally Posted By: B.D.
One time I was fishing alone at night for stripers, throwing big Cordell Redfins. I was catching quite a few fish - not any big ones, but there were schoolies busting bait all around, and the action was fast.

Anyway, at one point I landed a small striper that was probably about 20 inches long, and as I lifted him into the boat, he came unhooked and fell in the floorboard of my boat. I set down my rod and absentmindedly laid the Redfin in my boat seat, and then I grabbed the striper off the floor of my boat and tossed him back in the lake.

And that's where I messed up. I forgot the Redfin was sitting in my seat, and I sat back down on it. Two prongs of the treble hooks went right through the coveralls and jeans I was wearing and stuck me right in the butt. And at the same time, a few more prongs of the treble hooks went into the vinyl cover of my boat seat. So then the hooks were in my butt, and more hooks were in my seat, and the Redfin was holding the seat against my butt so that I could neither remove the seat from my butt nor get a hand into a place where I could remove the hooks from my backside.

I had to remove the seat from the pedestal, drive the boat back to the ramp with the pedestal seat sitting on top of the other seat (THANK GOD the lake was deserted and I didn't have to cross any boat wakes and drive the hooks further into my butt), then trailer my boat with the boat seat on my butt, and then drive back to my girlfriend's apartment with the pedestal seat sitting on top of my driver's seat in my car. At that point, with the assistance of my girlfriend, we decided my coveralls and jeans were less expensive than a replacement boat seat, so we cut the seat out of my pants, got the hooks out of my butt, and then carefully removed the other hooks from the boat seat with minimal damage.

So I guess the strangest thing I've caught while fishing is my own butt, though at least I did learn a valuable lesson about looking where I sit.

bd
\:D \:D oh man that is a good one. the thought of going and trailering the boat and driving home all the while hooked to a boat seat is hilarious.

...since last deer season

#3160531 - 02/11/13 11:15 PM Re: Strangest thing you ever caught while fishing?? [Re: catman529]
deerhunter10
10 Point

Loc: maury county tn

cotton mouth! lets just say he wasn't to pleased! haha

#3160536 - 02/11/13 11:22 PM Re: Strangest thing you ever caught while fishing?? [Re: B.D.]
Outdoor life
6 Point

Loc: Jackson Co. TN

Originally Posted By: B.D.

bd

I'm sorry but I'm laughing while reading this. I'm sure after the "honey, I need a little help" question to her, you got an interesting look haha

"I don't know the key to success, but the key to failure is trying to please everybody"

#3160623 - 02/12/13 06:26 AM Re: Strangest thing you ever caught while fishing?? [Re: Outdoor life]
.243win
Spike

Loc: Farragut, TN

Crescent wrench at Ft Loundon
Page 5 of 7 « First<34567>

Moderator:  RUGER, Unicam, CBU93, stretch, Bobby G, Cuttin Caller, Kimber45, Mrs.Unicam, Crappie Luck 
Hop to:
Top Posters
RUGER
Deer Assassin
BSK
Crappie Luck
spitndrum
Newest Members
Mik475, AaronB, Bad Wolf, jw3783, Jesse91
13278 Registered Users
Who's Online
6 registered (buckaroo, muddy-waders, Puddleduck, KubotaM4900, LIL JOKER, 1 invisible) and 60 anonymous users online.
Forum Stats
13278 Members
42 Forums
93274 Topics
1089112 Posts

Max Online: 788 @ 11/11/13 08:06 PM
Moon Phase
CURRENT MOON
September
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Forum Donations
The TnDeer.Com Deer Talk Forum is for Tennessee Deer Hunters by Tennessee Deer Hunters. If you enjoy using our Talk Forum and would like to contribute to help in it's up-keep. Just submit your contribution by clicking on the DONATE button below and paying with PayPal or a major credit card. Any amount is much appreciated. Thanks for your support!

TN Burn Safe

Generated in 0.106 seconds in which 0.001 seconds were spent on a total of 15 queries. Zlib compression enabled.