Page 2 of 2 <12
Topic Options
#3139830 - 01/25/13 10:57 PM Re: New to turkey hunting [Re: buckhunter42]
Spurhunter
8 Point

Loc: T County, TN

Originally Posted By: buckhunter42
let son shoot also so they know what to expect when trigger is pulled on a bird

I disagree. No reason to expose them to all that recoil and risk flinching on a bird. Let him practice with the gun and some light loads. He'll be comfortable with the gun but won't be scared to shoot it.

#3141217 - 01/27/13 11:39 AM Re: New to turkey hunting [Re: Spurhunter]
Poor redneck
8 Point

Loc: Nashville, TN

Comfortable boots to start.

#3141729 - 01/27/13 08:23 PM Re: New to turkey hunting [Re: Poor redneck]
J-WO
4 Point

Loc: Tennessee

Alot of good suggestions. I'd say grab a cheap box call,a good 12 gauge with some turkey loads,and whatever camo you've got. Just be aware that a turkeys eyesight is incredibly good.
#3141885 - 01/27/13 10:21 PM Re: New to turkey hunting [Re: J-WO]
Mike Belt
TnDeer Old Timer
16 Point

Loc: Lakeland, Tn.

Camo up all the way and hit the woods. A turkey's not a real smart bird but they're very observant. You may get away with sounds but not movement. In fact I usually intentionally make noise like those of a bird flying off the roost or feeding birds scratching through the leaves. Make an unwarranted movement with a bird coming in though and it's likely the game is over. Also remember they can see that movement something like 270 degrees around them without ever moving their head.

Learn to call. A box or slate call will make almost any call you want and they're easy to operate. A mouth call(diaphram) is a little harder to master but sometimes essential to your success simply because you can operate it hands free involving no movement. Some of the worst sounding calling I've ever heard came from live birds.

Basically you want to be in the area of a roosting bird to hear him gobbling off the roost. Sometimes they'll repeat their movements and calling 2 or 3 days in a row but just as likely not to. The object is to:
1) Get him to fly down to you while you sound like a hot little hen
2) Get between him and where he's headed if he doesn't fly down to you
3) Get to where he's headed before he does, or
4) Catch him where he wants to be and work him into the gun
Sometimes you can anticipate where the birds are headed. For instance, typically after an early morning rain they like to head to open fields or pastures to dry out while hunting for food.

Decoys aren't necessary and a hassle to run and gun with but they can be fun to use...and beneficial

All in all it's sort of like a cross between playing chess and poker. Move and counter move, think several moves ahead, and know when to hold them or fold them (call or don't call). It's a ball when the birds are talking and cooperating. It's a test when they aren't.

#3142402 - 01/28/13 12:23 PM Re: New to turkey hunting [Re: Mike Belt]
PalsPal
8 Point

Loc: TN

Originally Posted By: Mike Belt

All in all it's sort of like a cross between playing chess and poker. Move and counter move, think several moves ahead, and know when to hold them or fold them (call or don't call). It's a ball when the birds are talking and cooperating. It's a test when they aren't.

That is it in a nutshell!

Rarely are two hunts the same!

#3153754 - 02/06/13 11:30 AM Re: New to turkey hunting [Re: skillet]
mjackson
Button

Loc: tn

We live in the chattanooga area. We have been fishing the last few years and now they want to try hunting to see if they like it. I know one of them will, but the other one has little patience at times, so we will see.
#3154802 - 02/07/13 09:31 AM Re: New to turkey hunting [Re: mjackson]
PalsPal
8 Point

Loc: TN

Originally Posted By: mjackson
We live in the chattanooga area. We have been fishing the last few years and now they want to try hunting to see if they like it. I know one of them will, but the other one has little patience at times, so we will see.

Like Gravey said, a blind is almost a must if you plan to take both of them. If you have an open field that you are confident turkeys are using (preseason scouting will help here), put the blind up along with a cheap hen and jake decoy at about 20 yards. Just some simple yelps on a box or slate every 15 mins or so, and I like your chances.

The blind will help with the restless son. Take some things to keep him occupied. Once he loses interest, don't force him to stay. You might leave him at home next time and take the other one if that happens, though.

Good luck. I predict exciting times ahead for you.

Page 2 of 2 <12

Moderator:  RUGER, Bobby G, Unicam, Cuttin Caller, CBU93, stretch, TurkeyBurd, Kimber45, Mrs.Unicam, Crappie Luck, Grizzly Johnson 
Hop to:
Top Posters
RUGER
Deer Assassin
BSK
Crappie Luck
spitndrum
Newest Members
zatoan, DanParchman3, saddleman1, Jculber301, Mik475
13282 Registered Users
Who's Online
106 registered (redheadshooter, 7mm08, Ranchy, Mossy Oak, Rockhound, ruger7mag, 9 invisible) and 155 anonymous users online.
Forum Stats
13282 Members
42 Forums
93431 Topics
1090833 Posts

Max Online: 788 @ 11/11/13 08:06 PM
Moon Phase
CURRENT MOON
September
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Forum Donations
The TnDeer.Com Deer Talk Forum is for Tennessee Deer Hunters by Tennessee Deer Hunters. If you enjoy using our Talk Forum and would like to contribute to help in it's up-keep. Just submit your contribution by clicking on the DONATE button below and paying with PayPal or a major credit card. Any amount is much appreciated. Thanks for your support!

TN Burn Safe

Generated in 0.112 seconds in which 0.001 seconds were spent on a total of 15 queries. Zlib compression enabled.