Tndeer Logo

Page 2 of 4 <1234>
Topic Options
#3154638 - 02/07/13 06:38 AM Re: Wills. [Re: eweisner]
waynesworld
8 Point

Loc: Mboro, Tennessee

I have had to deal with wills a lot lately as this is a lot of great info put out so far. Wildcat is correct that if you have a large estate you must have a very careful strong will. But just to say go to a lawyer is not the best advice. The law is a lot like medicine everyone learns basic law in school and then specialize when they get out. Estate planning starts way before you die and should be done with a estate focused attorney. If you do not have a large estate a home made will is fine you can get some examples from your state and use those. The key is to preplan and not have very much go through your estate. The big error is life insurance. I can not emphasise this enough Have the people on your life insurance that you want the money to go to. Do not put your life insurance in the estate. If you have a house that is paid off you can look at a trust of some kind. If you have kids having where you want them to go is very important and who is responsible for the money to support them. That is why you should have a large amount of TERM life ins when you are young with kids and can get rid of it when you get older DO NOT GET FULL LIFE.
#3154645 - 02/07/13 06:47 AM Re: Wills. [Re: Dbllunger]
Coach
16 Point

Loc: Pall Mall, TN and Dexter, MI

A living trust will work too

Dean Business Supply, Llc

http://www.adam4d.com

#3154648 - 02/07/13 06:51 AM Re: Wills. [Re: bowriter]
Hawk
TnDeer Old Timer
12 Point

Loc: west tenn.

I assume you mean a living will by giving a power of attorney to cease life support/pull the plug when quaity of life no longer exists.
In most case unless there is a living will there will be need for a will since most of the estate will be used up paying medical bills.

I think the correct usage is codicil rather than addendum.

Originally Posted By: bowriter
I hope everyone has a will. I can't imagine not having one and more than likely creating problems for your family. They are not just for those of us in the fourth quarter, either.

Yesterday, I had mine updated with a simple addendum. Many of the special bequests I made no longer were valid as the people I had laft things to were dead. So, in a one page document, I updated everything making it much simpler. I worte it myself and just has it notarized and attached to my will.

if you donot have a will, no matter your age, I encourage you to do so. It is cheap, I wrote my own, and simplifies things a great deal. This is especially true if you have property and real estate. I also suggest getting a power of attorney.

#3154651 - 02/07/13 06:55 AM Re: Wills. [Re: Coach]
waynesworld
8 Point

Loc: Mboro, Tennessee

Yes there are a lot of different trust to use for different situations. If you are married and want your wife to live in the house as long as she wants and then the house goes to a child that is all able to be done with a trust. The money spent before will be saved in the long run 10 times over for large estates. My dad had over a million dollar estate. Because of poor advice/choices he made in estate planning 600k went to a bank and probably 50k went to attorneys. The bank was for a business that should never have gotten the money but he put ins in his estate.
#3154656 - 02/07/13 07:01 AM Re: Wills. [Re: waynesworld]
GRAMPS
14 Point

Loc: Mount Carmel, TN

Very good info here. My Dad died without a will and he owned a business. This caused me a lot of headaches to take care of the problems. But even then, I did not bother to get a will for myself. I waited until the day before my heart surgery to do a will--pretty stupid for me, but now it is done.

#3154742 - 02/07/13 08:34 AM Re: Wills. [Re: GRAMPS]
Mossy Oak
8 Point

Loc: Montgomery Co.

I see people without a will all too often. If you have to, just handwrite your own. You don't even need any witnesses at the time of signing. Write it out, sign it and tuck it away.

Granted, that is not the way I would handle my own estate, but it is better than nothing.

Team Release and Catch Bowfishing

http://www.dirtnapgear.com/

#3154744 - 02/07/13 08:37 AM Re: Wills. [Re: GRAMPS]
jb3
10 Point

Loc: Burns, TN

content Online
Very important to people with kids. Who would raise your children if you and your spouse simultaneously passed away? Also, if you have life insurance and you both pass, you need to be sure you have the right person handling that for the benefit of you children. Most people think that only one parent will pass and the other will be able to take control.
#3154783 - 02/07/13 09:12 AM Re: Wills. [Re: ]
Brisco Darlin
10 Point

Loc: East Tn.

had one ever since i've been married. it's been updated about 3 times.

#3154789 - 02/07/13 09:16 AM Re: Wills. [Re: Brisco Darlin]
Kevin
8 Point

Loc: Jackson, TN

Im only 24, but i guess i need to get one and decide how im going to divie up my student loans if i were to get hit by a bus today.

Someone let me know if you want em! \:D

A bad day fishing is better than a good day of work.

Roll Tide

#3154790 - 02/07/13 09:16 AM Re: Wills. [Re: Wildcat]
RUGER Administrator
Bambi Killa
Non-Typical

Loc: TN

Originally Posted By: Wildcat
Once they all see it's 100% legal and there is no way to contest it your family will NOT GO TO WAR WITH EACH OTHER over it and the family will stay together like YOU WANTED IN THE FIRST PLACE.

That is a very nice thought, but in most cases (all I have seen personally) it don't happen.
\:\(

Page 2 of 4 <1234>

Moderator:  RUGER, Unicam, gtk, Tennessee Todd, Lakeland Charlie, Cuttin Caller, CBU93, stretch, TurkeyBurd, MAN, Bobby G, Kimber45, Crappie Luck 
Hop to:
Top Posters
RUGER
Deer Assassin
BSK
Crappie Luck
spitndrum
Newest Members
OfficerBuck, rapalabuck, medic2fpc, MachDR, pop
13308 Registered Users
Who's Online
117 registered (TNOutdoorCo, Bucket, mossyoakmantn, rocket04, Whitehead6044, myboomisdoom, 12 invisible) and 189 anonymous users online.
Forum Stats
13308 Members
42 Forums
93976 Topics
1097824 Posts

Max Online: 788 @ 11/11/13 08:06 PM
Moon Phase
CURRENT MOON
September
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Forum Donations
The TnDeer.Com Deer Talk Forum is for Tennessee Deer Hunters by Tennessee Deer Hunters. If you enjoy using our Talk Forum and would like to contribute to help in it's up-keep. Just submit your contribution by clicking on the DONATE button below and paying with PayPal or a major credit card. Any amount is much appreciated. Thanks for your support!

TN Burn Safe

Generated in 0.392 seconds in which 0.012 seconds were spent on a total of 15 queries. Zlib compression enabled.