Tndeer Logo

Page all of 5 12345>
Topic Options
#3154197 - 02/06/13 06:39 PM I have an angry child :( (long)
Bowdacious
Vicious Broomdriver
16 Point

Loc: over here

He stopped at a store to grab a beer after work. His license has a little nick in it so the clerk tells him she will have to get her manager to look at his ID. He says no need, here is another one and gives her his carry permit. She informs him that she can't just take that since the dl is nicked and has to get her manager. He asks for his ID so he can just leave and she told him that he had to wait right there while she gets the mgr. This is where it all went to hades.
He told her to keep the _____ beer and give him his ID. She again said he had to wait. His temper flared and he let her know that the ONLY way she would make him stay is to call the police. She said no again. He went off, demanded his license or HE would call the police.
Good grief. I can maybe see her questioning a nicked license but also a carry permit?
To make it worse, her mgr wasn't around.
I got him calmed somewhat and he will simply call the owner and not shop there again.
Did she go overboard? I think so and he obviously does.

Edited by Bowdacious (02/06/13 06:40 PM)

Beware the skillet -----O

#3154201 - 02/06/13 06:42 PM Re: I have an angry child :( (long) [Re: Bowdacious]
Bow Hunter
16 Point

Loc: Murfreesboro Tn.

Good for him and I would never stop there again.

#3154208 - 02/06/13 06:47 PM Re: I have an angry child :( (long) [Re: Bow Hunter]
birddog
12 Point

Loc: Seymour, TN

sounds like to me she was on a power trip. she had no right to keep his license.
#3154209 - 02/06/13 06:48 PM Re: I have an angry child :( (long) [Re: Bow Hunter]
A.Hall
Formerly "Spoon"
Non-Typical

Loc: Bartlett, TN

Should have kicked the clerk in the nads and took his DL back...what an idiot

#3154210 - 02/06/13 06:48 PM Re: I have an angry child :( (long) [Re: Bowdacious]
Kimber45 Moderator
Peace Maker
16 Point

Loc: Close to Jackson, TN

She panicked and obviously dd not know their specific SOP nor did she have the common sense to know she could not legally keep his license without permission. Sadly, too often clerks are way undertrained in regards to wha they can/cannot do, as are the store mgrs from time to time as well.. I'd have probably gone ballistic too..

This past Saturday night Matthew and I were at wallyworld.. I picked up a little Mich Ultra and at the auto checkout, the clerk, upon seeing my license asked Matthew is he was over 21...lol ... Matthew told him it was none of his business how old he was at which point we were told that wallyworld is now trained to Profile suspect adults who may be buying beer for someone underage. I laughed out loud... Told them that was quite assinine however, I have no doubt the clerk was probably telling the truth as he knew it..

#3154224 - 02/06/13 06:56 PM Re: I have an angry child :( (long) [Re: Kimber45]
Bowdacious
Vicious Broomdriver
16 Point

Oh my word! The last thing we need is a wallyworld employee doing profiles. Sheesh!

#3154243 - 02/06/13 07:04 PM Re: I have an angry child :( (long) [Re: ]
Inkstainz
14 Point

Loc: Memphis, Tennessee

Ya I could see a meltdown happening to that lady!
#3154245 - 02/06/13 07:05 PM Re: I have an angry child :( (long) [Re: Bowdacious]
moondawg
16 Point

Loc: Millington, TN

Originally Posted By: Bowdacious

I got him calmed somewhat and he will simply call the owner and not shop there again.

The manager is NEVER around. Have him call the mgr and vent.

#3154252 - 02/06/13 07:08 PM Re: I have an angry child :( (long) [Re: Bow Hunter]
PinchPoint
8 Point

Loc: Knoxville Tn

Originally Posted By: Bow Hunter
Good for him and I would never stop there again.
x2

Genesis 27:3

#3154260 - 02/06/13 07:13 PM Re: I have an angry child :( (long) [Re: moondawg]
Bowdacious
Vicious Broomdriver
16 Point

Originally Posted By: moondawg
 Originally Posted By: Bowdacious

The manager is NEVER around. Have him call the mgr and vent.

He will be calling the owner. I can't imagine how I would have reacted. It all depends on how much stupid I have already dealt with that day. He does have the Irish temper. \:\)

#3154270 - 02/06/13 07:17 PM Re: I have an angry child :( (long) [Re: Bowdacious]
Diehard Hunter
CRAMP
12 Point

Loc: East Tennessee

I would have been on the phone with the police as soon as she refused to give the I'd back. I do not blame him for blowing a gasket. The fact the police did not show up proves he handled it better than I would have. He needs to have serious chat with whomever the top dog is for that operation

#3154302 - 02/06/13 07:34 PM Re: I have an angry child :( (long) [Re: PinchPoint]
7mm08
10 Point

Loc: In a river hopefully!

We white rednecks should sue Wally World for racial profiling! Last time I go in there and buy beer with my gut hanging out of my dale Earnhardt wife beater tshirt and my butt crack showing!

Edited by 7mm08 (02/06/13 07:35 PM)

#3154309 - 02/06/13 07:37 PM Re: I have an angry child :( (long) [Re: 7mm08]
Bowdacious
Vicious Broomdriver
16 Point

Originally Posted By: Diehard Hunter
I would have been on the phone with the police as soon as she refused to give the I'd back. I do not blame him for blowing a gasket. The fact the police did not show up proves he handled it better than I would have. He needs to have serious chat with whomever the top dog is for that operation

He will. His grandparents are friends with the owner.
 Originally Posted By: 7mm08
We white rednecks should sue Wally World for racial profiling! Last time I go in there and buy beer with my gut hanging out of my dale Earnhardt wife beater tshirt and my butt crack showing!

You tell 'em!

#3154337 - 02/06/13 07:55 PM Re: I have an angry child :( (long) [Re: 7mm08]
Kimber45 Moderator
Peace Maker
16 Point

Originally Posted By: 7mm08

\:D
Them some beaches done did pizz me off ;\)

#3154434 - 02/06/13 08:55 PM Re: I have an angry child :( (long) [Re: Kimber45]
Barrett
formerly bad_deer24
12 Point

Loc: Nolensville, TN

Back in the day when video stores were still around, I went to get a card so I could rent the stupid movies. They asked for two forms of ID so I handed the dumb girl my drivers license and carry permit. She said she couldnt accept the carry permit as a form of ID. I said "it's a freakin state issued ID!". She told me it didnt matter that she couldnt accept it. I was pissed and never went back. People are ignorant.

"Don't Be Where They Are, Be Where They're Gonna Be"

>------>

#3154511 - 02/06/13 10:19 PM Re: I have an angry child :( (long) [Re: PinchPoint]
gasman
8 Point

Loc: South of the Hatchie

Minimum Wage = Minimum IQ \:D

Hunt Hard. Pray Harder.

#3154577 - 02/07/13 04:40 AM Re: I have an angry child :( (long) [Re: Kimber45]
MUP
Non-Typical

Loc: Just North of Chatt-town

Originally Posted By: Kimber45
She panicked and obviously dd not know their specific SOP nor did she have the common sense to know she could not legally keep his license without permission. Sadly, too often clerks are way undertrained in regards to wha they can/cannot do, as are the store mgrs from time to time as well.. I'd have probably gone ballistic too..

This past Saturday night Matthew and I were at wallyworld.. I picked up a little Mich Ultra and at the auto checkout, the clerk, upon seeing my license asked Matthew is he was over 21...lol ... Matthew told him it was none of his business how old he was at which point we were told that wallyworld is now trained to Profile suspect adults who may be buying beer for someone underage. I laughed out loud... Told them that was quite assinine however, I have no doubt the clerk was probably telling the truth as he knew it..

Yep, you're kinda shady alright Scott! \:D

Amateurs: Built the Ark

Professionals: Built the Titanic

#3154603 - 02/07/13 05:32 AM Re: I have an angry child :( (long) [Re: MUP]
BlackBelt
10 Point

Loc: SouthWest TN

Heres the way I see situations like that-- We cant control what other people say or do, but we CAN control our reaction to what they say or do.
Dont let someone else have control of your emotions. Dont allow them to manipulate you into being angry.

#3154627 - 02/07/13 06:22 AM Re: I have an angry child :( (long) [Re: BlackBelt]
Kimber45 Moderator
Peace Maker
16 Point

Originally Posted By: BlackBelt
Heres the way I see situations like that-- We cant control what other people say or do, but we CAN control our reaction to what they say or do.
Dont let someone else have control of your emotions. Dont allow them to manipulate you into being angry.

Very good point....and one that I've had to work on for EVER.

#3154642 - 02/07/13 06:44 AM Re: I have an angry child :( (long) [Re: Kimber45]
REM7
10 Point

Loc: GRUNDY COUNTY

Dealing with idiots is not an ART that I have mastered yet, but I try
#3154700 - 02/07/13 07:59 AM Re: I have an angry child :( (long) [Re: REM7]
Nimrod777
Non-Typical

Loc: Spring Hill, TN

I realize that having a divergent view on this will make me a bad person, but I gotta give a few kudos to the lady who was probably faced with dealing outside her realm of experience, and even in the face of an angry patron, was trying to do what she understood to be right. Flip the story and make her your sister, wife, mom, gramma, and some dude with a "suspicious" ID gets panicky when she suggests checking with the manager, and suddenly she's courageous.

Personally, I blame the red hair. ;\)

#3154738 - 02/07/13 08:31 AM Re: I have an angry child :( (long) [Re: Nimrod777]
jb3
10 Point

Loc: Burns, TN

Got to go with Nim on this one. DL with a flaw probably puts up a warning signal. Then a customer that loses his cool. Plus, with markets losing their beer license because they sold alcohol to underage customers. The clerk may not have handled it well, but it's not the end of the world.
#3154801 - 02/07/13 09:31 AM Re: I have an angry child :( (long) [Re: jb3]
Kimber45 Moderator
Peace Maker
16 Point

So she was making a citizens arrest for a home-made DL \:D

#3154816 - 02/07/13 09:40 AM Re: I have an angry child :( (long) [Re: BlackBelt]
BamaProud
12 Point

Loc: Shelby County, TN

content Online

I tend to agree.

Should have just simply called the police right when they refused to return the license.

#3154831 - 02/07/13 09:50 AM Re: I have an angry child :( (long) [Re: BamaProud]
Bowdacious
Vicious Broomdriver
16 Point

He didnt lose his temper until she tried to detain him even after being given another valid, state issued ID. I would have gone off if someone thought they would make me stand there while she called for a manager to come to the store. A clerk has no authority to do anything but refuse the sale or call the police if they think an ID is fake.

#3154833 - 02/07/13 09:53 AM Re: I have an angry child :( (long) [Re: Bowdacious]
BlackBelt
10 Point

Loc: SouthWest TN

And that may have been a good time for him to call the police and let them explain it to her.
#3154835 - 02/07/13 09:54 AM Re: I have an angry child :( (long) [Re: BlackBelt]
Bowdacious
Vicious Broomdriver
16 Point

And that may have been a good time for him to call the police and let them explain it to her.

That's how he got his IDs back. He told her that she could call, give him his license and permit or he would call them.

#3155087 - 02/07/13 02:14 PM Re: I have an angry child :( (long) [Re: Kimber45]
JeepKuntry
16 Point

Loc: Clinton, TN

She had no right to keep his license. I have a temper so I probably would have been pretty upset. He definitely needs to write the store owner, explain what happened, and that person should be written up.

#3155095 - 02/07/13 02:19 PM Re: I have an angry child :( (long) [Re: JeepKuntry]
Hangnail
12 Point

Loc: Murfreesboro, TN

Make your own beer. Problem solved...
#3155128 - 02/07/13 02:53 PM Re: I have an angry child :( (long) [Re: PinchPoint]
Food Plot 101
8 Point

Loc: Goodlettsville,TN USA

I don't let my license leave my hands. It stays in my wallet while you check it. if I have to remove it from my wallet it still stays in my hand. Never had a problem.
#3155173 - 02/07/13 03:31 PM Re: I have an angry child :( (long) [Re: Food Plot 101]
Kingston
8 Point

Loc: Blue Ridge Mtns

Originally Posted By: Food Plot 101
I don't let my license leave my hands. It stays in my wallet while you check it. if I have to remove it from my wallet it still stays in my hand. Never had a problem.

This^^^^^^^

#3155782 - 02/08/13 05:07 AM Re: I have an angry child :( (long) [Re: jb3]
BMan
16 Point

Loc: Middle TN

Originally Posted By: jb3
Got to go with Nim on this one. DL with a flaw probably puts up a warning signal. Then a customer that loses his cool. Plus, with markets losing their beer license because they sold alcohol to underage customers. The clerk may not have handled it well, but it's not the end of the world.

Then her only action should have been, "Sorry, sir, I can't sell to you."

#3155836 - 02/08/13 07:04 AM Re: I have an angry child :( (long) [Re: PinchPoint]
Vermin93
12 Point

Loc: Dallas, TX & Signal Mtn, TN

shocked Online
A "little nick" should not make it difficult to tell a legitimate TN license from a fake TN license. Clerk was out of line. On the other hand, if I got really angry at every incompetent clerk that I encountered in my life the stress would probably take a few years off my life. Dealing with idiots is just a regular part of life.

#3156053 - 02/08/13 10:17 AM Re: I have an angry child :( (long) [Re: Vermin93]
TRIGGER
Michael Waddell stunt double
10 Point

Loc: Cunningham TN

Tried to take something back at Walmart last year. Same thing dl was cracked she told me she could not accept it so I handed her my carry permit and then she said they were not allowed to accept carry permits as ID. WHAT? I asked her if she realized I had to be finger printed and have a background check to get the carry permit. She said " sorry sir we can not accept that" I just walked out.
#3156102 - 02/08/13 11:07 AM Re: I have an angry child :( (long) [Re: TRIGGER]
swami
4 Point

Loc: Tenn.

I help train cashiers, if they sale to a adult without proper I.D.,or I.D. that been altered, they lose their job. If they sale to a legal adult, and that adult gives it to a minor that is with them or outside the store, they lose their job.Bottom line, when in doubt call manager or refuse service and apoligize to customer.Their job is on the line. Might be minimum wages but at least they are working for a living.Different store have diff. polocies, but follow it to a T. Because purchases are filmed at most stores. One wrong sale could cost the store it's license(alcohol/tobacco) and the cashier will lose their job.
She should of gave D.L. back.

#3156141 - 02/08/13 11:36 AM Re: I have an angry child :( (long) [Re: swami]
TAFKAP
14 Point

Loc: Memphis

Originally Posted By: swami
I help train cashiers, if they sale to a adult without proper I.D.,or I.D. that been altered, they lose their job. If they sale to a legal adult, and that adult gives it to a minor that is with them or outside the store, they lose their job.Bottom line, when in doubt call manager or refuse service and apoligize to customer.Their job is on the line. Might be minimum wages but at least they are working for a living.Different store have diff. polocies, but follow it to a T. Because purchases are filmed at most stores. One wrong sale could cost the store it's license(alcohol/tobacco) and the cashier will lose their job.

Still, there is no right to impound someone's ID.

On a side-note, please forgive me for laughing, but your user name is Swami, and you're posting as an expert in ID-ing customers at a convenience store. \:D \:D \:D

#3156150 - 02/08/13 11:46 AM Re: I have an angry child :( (long) [Re: TAFKAP]
feisty red head
Mature Red Doe
12 Point

Loc: Cumberland Plateau

that "clerk" had no authority to say whether it was a fake id. all she should have done was say no sale. I don't blame for being angry if someone kept my id I would be

#3156158 - 02/08/13 11:53 AM Re: I have an angry child :( (long) [Re: TAFKAP]
Unicam Administrator
Grumpaw
16 Point

Loc: Dallas, GA. & Cookeville, TN

Originally Posted By: TAFKAP

Still, there is no right to impound someone's ID.

On a side-note, please forgive me for laughing, but your user name is Swami, and you're posting as an expert in ID-ing customers at a convenience store. \:D \:D \:D

He said she did wrong. Think the proper way to handle it was to hand ID back, ask customer to wait one sec as the manager had to approve sale for a damaged ID and not accepting the state issued Handgun Carry Permit was also wrong, its a valid, state issued ID. Then the buyer can choose to wait for manager or leave and go elsewhere. I like many have said would have called the police the third time she refused to give me back my ID. I have had places refuse my Federal ID as a form of identifiacation.

John 15:13

#3156398 - 02/08/13 03:18 PM Re: I have an angry child :( (long) [Re: Unicam]
swami
4 Point

Loc: Tenn.

I chose swami because I like Johnny Carson, the true king of late night. I am no expert in anything.
#3156480 - 02/08/13 04:20 PM Re: I have an angry child :( (long) [Re: swami]
TAFKAP
14 Point

Loc: Memphis

I chose swami because I like Johnny Carson, the true king of late night. I am no expert in anything.

I'm just busting your balls....mainly the Indian reference in a thread about convenience stores, not the "know it all" type.

#3156515 - 02/08/13 04:56 PM Re: I have an angry child :( (long) [Re: TAFKAP]
Bowdacious
Vicious Broomdriver
16 Point

I understand wanting a manager to check but not trying to make him wait til a manager was called to the store. My carry permit is every bit as valid as my license. I used it when I went to vote. Her best course of action would have been to apologize for not being able to make the sale. As for low wages=low IQ, I disagree. The clerks at my local store are pretty dang bright. \:\)

#3156703 - 02/08/13 07:34 PM Re: I have an angry child :( (long) [Re: swami]
Deer Assassin
dammit
Non-Typical

Loc: Kingston Springs

i almost got arrested 1x over buying a beer 2

i was told my carry permit was no good to but beer

i explained to them it is a state issued photo id

she said no i have to see DL granted i had my dl but at this point no way id would show it

i told her to take the 24 oz of busch and shove it

Spending money I dont have

on things I dont need

to impress people I dont know

Page all of 5 12345>

Moderator:  RUGER, Unicam, gtk, Tennessee Todd, Lakeland Charlie, Cuttin Caller, CBU93, stretch, TurkeyBurd, MAN, Bobby G, Kimber45, Crappie Luck 
Hop to:
Top Posters
RUGER
Deer Assassin
BSK
Crappie Luck
spitndrum
Newest Members
piglet84, Bowfire985, TieCampBuckSlayer, ChuckNorris, Breesor1
13085 Registered Users
Who's Online
29 registered (TNRifleman, PcDeer, Vermin93, TNRazorback, Tn_Va_Hunter, AllOutdoors, 2 invisible) and 80 anonymous users online.
Forum Stats
13085 Members
42 Forums
88243 Topics
1033829 Posts

Max Online: 788 @ 11/11/13 08:06 PM
Moon Phase
CURRENT MOON
July
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5
6 7 8 9 10 11 12
13 14 15 16 17 18 19
20 21 22 23 24 25 26
27 28 29 30 31
Forum Donations
The TnDeer.Com Deer Talk Forum is for Tennessee Deer Hunters by Tennessee Deer Hunters. If you enjoy using our Talk Forum and would like to contribute to help in it's up-keep. Just submit your contribution by clicking on the DONATE button below and paying with PayPal or a major credit card. Any amount is much appreciated. Thanks for your support!

TN Burn Safe

Generated in 0.221 seconds in which 0.003 seconds were spent on a total of 14 queries. Zlib compression enabled.