Tndeer Logo

Page 6 of 7 « First<34567>
Topic Options
#3153369 - 02/05/13 09:41 PM Re: 1 Tip you could offer [Re: Spurhunter]
SEC
6 Point

Loc: TN

I would say my number one tip would be find a farm that is loaded with turkeys. Everything else will take care of itself. They are dumb.
#3153391 - 02/05/13 10:08 PM Re: 1 Tip you could offer [Re: Setterman]
knightrider
12 Point

Loc: tn

Originally Posted By: Setterman
 Originally Posted By: Mike Belt
If I had 1 question about turkey hunting it would be as follows:

What's the difference or what makes turkeys that are gobbling their heads off from the roost well into the morning one fine turkey hunting day be absolutely lockjawed the very next identical morning?

This is easy, they are turkeys and are bat **** crazy.
exactly,turkeys are turkeys and you have to learn how to be one!! if you boys want good tips and ideals how to kill more birds in more situations you need to listen to this man, he definately knows what he is doing!! ive killed my share and "think" im pretty good at it but ole setterman has anybody i know whooped when it comes to turkey hunting. there my man crush is over

#3153455 - 02/06/13 04:51 AM Re: 1 Tip you could offer [Re: Setterman]
Uncle Jesse
4 Point

Loc: Estill Springs

I have found over 20+ years and almost 200 dead longbeards, that a bird which gobbles on his own is far more likely to die than one that has to be shocked or beaten into sounding off.

I started 14 years ago and I only hunt Tennessee so I ain't killed anywhere near 200, but for birds still in the trees, my experience has been exactly the opposite. I'll always have a locator call for this reason.

A bird that free gobbles on his own after fly down is far easier to kill than a bird which has to be beaten into gobbling with locator calls. As many times the one that has to be helped has hens or is subordinate. While the free gobbler is generally alone and has gone to an area they feel comfortable to strut and seek out company.

This has been my experience with birds on the ground too.

#3153651 - 02/06/13 09:54 AM Re: 1 Tip you could offer [Re: knightrider]
String Music
8 Point

Loc: Knoxville

Originally Posted By: knightrider

What's the difference or what makes turkeys that are gobbling their heads off from the roost well into the morning one fine turkey hunting day be absolutely lockjawed the very next identical morning?

exactly,turkeys are turkeys and you have to learn how to be one!! if you boys want good tips and ideals how to kill more birds in more situations you need to listen to this man, he definately knows what he is doing!! ive killed my share and "think" im pretty good at it but ole setterman has anybody i know whooped when it comes to turkey hunting. there my man crush is over

I'll take on Setterman any day of the week! He does know a thing or two about turkey hunting, though...
"For I know the plans I have for you..." Jer. 29:11

Hunting Photography:

facebook.com/AMOutdoorPhotography

www.amcunninghamoutdoors.com

#3153654 - 02/06/13 09:56 AM Re: 1 Tip you could offer [Re: Setterman]
String Music
8 Point

Weather is a key factor as well.

Hunting Photography:

#3153985 - 02/06/13 03:05 PM Re: 1 Tip you could offer [Re: String Music]
Setterman
8 Point

Loc: Knoxville, TN

Originally Posted By: String Music

I'll take on Setterman any day of the week! He does know a thing or two about turkey hunting, though...

Bring it \:\) , get you off that private honey hole in White Oak and let you come play with me on the public land birds.

#3154077 - 02/06/13 04:55 PM Re: 1 Tip you could offer [Re: Mike Belt]
RutMutt
4 Point

Loc: SE TN

Someone once explained to me that it is kind of like watching a ballgame. If you cheer and scream for your team, you don't feel like talking the next day.

#3154106 - 02/06/13 05:20 PM Re: 1 Tip you could offer [Re: Setterman]
String Music
8 Point

Bring it \:\) , get you off that private honey hole in White Oak and let you come play with me on the public land birds.

I'm no stranger to public land- Royal Blue offers some great turkey hunting!

Hunting Photography:

#3154463 - 02/06/13 09:27 PM Re: 1 Tip you could offer [Re: String Music]
Setterman
8 Point

Loc: Knoxville, TN

I'm no stranger to public land- Royal Blue offers some great turkey hunting!

Trust me I know, and are you seriously going to take a thread designed to help folks into an oppty to talk trash to me? I am certainly game, but by all means start a new topic if you want to talk trash. Let this one serve it's purpose.

#3154506 - 02/06/13 10:13 PM Re: 1 Tip you could offer [Re: Setterman]
tnturkey30
4 Point

Loc: knoxville, tn

my best advice to give you is to take up fishing!!! these crazy things will drive you CRAZY!!!! you will see birds gobble their guts out all day one day and the next nothing !!! it has alot to do with weather and barometric pressure !! Heck a coyote could be within eyesight of the birds and shut up on the limb..they could still be talking and you would not have a clue... they make over 20 different vocalazations that we cant hear with our natural ear.. you never know....Setterman being a biologist can tell you all this though :-) !!if you wanna learn alot about turkeys watch a PBS series called My life as a Turkey....
Page 6 of 7 « First<34567>

Moderator:  RUGER, Bobby G, Unicam, Cuttin Caller, CBU93, stretch, TurkeyBurd, Kimber45, Mrs.Unicam, Crappie Luck, Grizzly Johnson 
Hop to:
Top Posters
RUGER
Deer Assassin
BSK
Crappie Luck
spitndrum
Newest Members
bootsinsand, bigun714, clh200, tlwilliams, Forvols
13179 Registered Users
Who's Online
123 registered (BULL MOOSE, mossyhorns300, Jmed, 53caddy, jmoreland, Pic IN the Casa, 15 invisible) and 150 anonymous users online.
Forum Stats
13179 Members
42 Forums
90860 Topics
1062178 Posts

Max Online: 788 @ 11/11/13 08:06 PM
Moon Phase
CURRENT MOON
August
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Forum Donations
The TnDeer.Com Deer Talk Forum is for Tennessee Deer Hunters by Tennessee Deer Hunters. If you enjoy using our Talk Forum and would like to contribute to help in it's up-keep. Just submit your contribution by clicking on the DONATE button below and paying with PayPal or a major credit card. Any amount is much appreciated. Thanks for your support!

TN Burn Safe

Generated in 0.059 seconds in which 0.002 seconds were spent on a total of 15 queries. Zlib compression enabled.