Tndeer Logo

Page 5 of 7 « First<34567>
Topic Options
#3152679 - 02/05/13 11:00 AM Re: 1 Tip you could offer [Re: woodsman87]
Hawk
TnDeer Old Timer
12 Point

Loc: west tenn.

When you feel the need to take one more step to get to that perfect spot or tree take five steps backwards.

#3152879 - 02/05/13 01:59 PM Re: 1 Tip you could offer [Re: timberjack86]
TLRanger
8 Point

Loc: Nashville

content Online
Never ever use a call without being set up and ready for the shot.

#3153065 - 02/05/13 05:17 PM Re: 1 Tip you could offer [Re: Setterman]
Benelli 4 Life
4 Point

Loc: Bledsoe Co. TN

Originally Posted By: Setterman
I have hunted all over west TN, and the rest of the SE, and rarely, maybe once a season have a morning where the birds are quiet on the limb unless the weather is total crap.

I have an entirely different style of hunting than 90% of the turkey hunters, and it is one that is based much more on patience than on the immediacy of making one gobble right now.

I have found over 20+ years and almost 200 dead longbeards, that a bird which gobbles on his own is far more likely to die than one that has to be shocked or beaten into sounding off.

I spend a lot of my mornings sitting in an area where I know birds should be close, and just listening. Not blind calling, and not using locator calls. It is absolutely stunning the numbers of birds that free gobble sporadically which most hunters never hear because they are constantly on the move, rustling in their vest for a call, or calling. I know because for a long time I was no different than most turkey hunters and used the same locating tactics that most still use.

A bird that free gobbles on his own after fly down is far easier to kill than a bird which has to be beaten into gobbling with locator calls. As many times the one that has to be helped has hens or is subordinate. While the free gobbler is generally alone and has gone to an area they feel comfortable to strut and seek out company.

If I get wild and do decide to try and strike a bird I use turkey calls. If you wisely use the terrain, know how the birds you hunt use the property, and don't over do it, than getting picked off is unlikely.

To each their own when it comes to how you enjoy your time in the woods. I'm just passing along what works for me each season, and has worked exceptionally well in bagging a bunch of longbeards over the years.

I agree 100%. I hunt the same way and have killed a bunch of longbeards by huntin this way.

#3153101 - 02/05/13 05:45 PM Re: 1 Tip you could offer [Re: Setterman]
Spurhunter
8 Point

Loc: T County, TN

Originally Posted By: Setterman
I have hunted all over west TN, and the rest of the SE, and rarely, maybe once a season have a morning where the birds are quiet on the limb unless the weather is total crap.

I have an entirely different style of hunting than 90% of the turkey hunters, and it is one that is based much more on patience than on the immediacy of making one gobble right now.

I have found over 20+ years and almost 200 dead longbeards, that a bird which gobbles on his own is far more likely to die than one that has to be shocked or beaten into sounding off.

I spend a lot of my mornings sitting in an area where I know birds should be close, and just listening. Not blind calling, and not using locator calls. It is absolutely stunning the numbers of birds that free gobble sporadically which most hunters never hear because they are constantly on the move, rustling in their vest for a call, or calling. I know because for a long time I was no different than most turkey hunters and used the same locating tactics that most still use.

A bird that free gobbles on his own after fly down is far easier to kill than a bird which has to be beaten into gobbling with locator calls. As many times the one that has to be helped has hens or is subordinate. While the free gobbler is generally alone and has gone to an area they feel comfortable to strut and seek out company.

If I get wild and do decide to try and strike a bird I use turkey calls. If you wisely use the terrain, know how the birds you hunt use the property, and don't over do it, than getting picked off is unlikely.

To each their own when it comes to how you enjoy your time in the woods. I'm just passing along what works for me each season, and has worked exceptionally well in bagging a bunch of longbeards over the years.

The proof is in the pudding, and you've definitely killed more than your share. I just don't understand what makes a bird that gobbles at an owl or a crow easier to kill than one that gobbles at an owl or crow call.

Also, my son is with me most of the time, and lives to turkey hunt. I think getting set up early is even more important when you have a kid with you. Not to mention, it's a lot harder to move on a bird after daylight with a kid in tow.

#3153126 - 02/05/13 06:06 PM Re: 1 Tip you could offer [Re: Spurhunter]
RutMutt
4 Point

Loc: SE TN

Never give up. You ever get a bird that just gets under your skin? That just makes me strive harder to kill him.

#3153294 - 02/05/13 08:25 PM Re: 1 Tip you could offer [Re: RutMutt]
TurkeyBurd Moderator
Woodpile Boys
10 Point

Loc: Chapel Hill

Ole Setterman is getting fired up and its not even March yet.

Love it!!

#3153330 - 02/05/13 08:59 PM Re: 1 Tip you could offer [Re: TurkeyBurd]
Mike Belt
TnDeer Old Timer
16 Point

Loc: Lakeland, Tn.

If I had 1 question about turkey hunting it would be as follows:

What's the difference or what makes turkeys that are gobbling their heads off from the roost well into the morning one fine turkey hunting day be absolutely lockjawed the very next identical morning?

#3153338 - 02/05/13 09:12 PM Re: 1 Tip you could offer [Re: TurkeyBurd]
Setterman
8 Point

Loc: Knoxville, TN

Originally Posted By: TurkeyBurd
Ole Setterman is getting fired up and its not even March yet.

Love it!!

I'm not even close to being fired up yet, you know better than that.

#3153339 - 02/05/13 09:12 PM Re: 1 Tip you could offer [Re: Mike Belt]
Setterman
8 Point

Loc: Knoxville, TN

Originally Posted By: Mike Belt

What's the difference or what makes turkeys that are gobbling their heads off from the roost well into the morning one fine turkey hunting day be absolutely lockjawed the very next identical morning?

This is easy, they are turkeys and are bat **** crazy.

#3153348 - 02/05/13 09:16 PM Re: 1 Tip you could offer [Re: Mike Belt]
Spurhunter
8 Point

Loc: T County, TN

Originally Posted By: Mike Belt

I wish I knew. It happens to me a lot. But the turkeys always gobble for some folks. Weird.

Page 5 of 7 « First<34567>

Moderator:  RUGER, Bobby G, Unicam, Cuttin Caller, CBU93, stretch, TurkeyBurd, Kimber45, Mrs.Unicam, Crappie Luck, Grizzly Johnson 
Hop to:
Top Posters
RUGER
Deer Assassin
BSK
Crappie Luck
spitndrum
Newest Members
mikescooterhester, PinkCamo, shaneb, Mr.Squirrel, Tadtad2!
13172 Registered Users
Who's Online
115 registered (leader, HUNTTNKY, BlountArrow, Sako, ronnycl, TNRazorback, 10 invisible) and 138 anonymous users online.
Forum Stats
13172 Members
42 Forums
90787 Topics
1060303 Posts

Max Online: 788 @ 11/11/13 08:06 PM
Moon Phase
CURRENT MOON
August
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Forum Donations
The TnDeer.Com Deer Talk Forum is for Tennessee Deer Hunters by Tennessee Deer Hunters. If you enjoy using our Talk Forum and would like to contribute to help in it's up-keep. Just submit your contribution by clicking on the DONATE button below and paying with PayPal or a major credit card. Any amount is much appreciated. Thanks for your support!

TN Burn Safe

Generated in 0.241 seconds in which 0.001 seconds were spent on a total of 15 queries. Zlib compression enabled.