Tndeer Logo

Page 3 of 7 <12345>Last »
Topic Options
#3152815 - 02/05/13 01:00 PM Re: WAl mart guns [Re: RUGER]
MUP
Non-Typical

Loc: Just North of Chatt-town

My experience with tires from wal-mart.

I purchased(several years ago btw) a couple of "Land Terrain" tires from Wal-Mart. These tires were the BFG A/T counter-part, but sold as a Wal-Mart exclusive. They were BFG's, but had the "Land Terrain" sticker instead of "All-Terrain". The difference was, one less side ply, and a different tread design, slightly less agressive. I experienced a blow-out after less than 18k from one of these, and the tread portion came completely off, intact, and went spinning down the 2 lane interstate I was attempting to merge onto. Luckily, the sidewalls flared out, saving my alum wheels. This was my experience trying to save a few bucks, but I won't skimp again let me tell ya. I did, however, take those tires back, and, w/o a road hazard warranty, demanded that they replace both of them...AFTER I researched and found that I was not the only one who had been left on the side of the road by the same thing happening to them. I printed out my paperwork, and talked to the biggest, meanest, looking dept manager I had ever seen, and after some heated discussion, I got them replaced, on a pro-ration! \:D

Amateurs: Built the Ark

Professionals: Built the Titanic

#3152901 - 02/05/13 02:17 PM Re: WAl mart guns [Re: MUP]
Hunter 257W
10 Point

Loc: Franklin County

Years ago Sears and Western Auto both used to sell guns that were basically a cheapened version of popular brand name guns with their own brand names and diffeent model numbers. The differences were cosmetic though rather than something that would lessen reliability. And since they were stamped with a different brand and model, nobody could claim deception.

But I can't believe and have never seen where a big name brand such as a Remington model 700 was sold in two different configurations both having the same Remington catalog number by two different stores. It would cost more to retool, develop new manufacturing processes, run two different production lines for the alternate parts, track the new configuration, etc. than the small amount it would save. Yes, there are special factory production runs made every year but they are usually advertised openly on the gun manufacturer's website and are available through a limited number of wholesalers. I just don't beleive there are guns sold by certain bargain stores with hidden cost cutting differences.

#3152932 - 02/05/13 02:53 PM Re: WAl mart guns [Re: Hunter 257W]
varminthunter123
6 Point

Loc: Somerville, TN

I worked for WalMart for many years and their guns are not the same guns that are in the regular gun stores. I know for a fact they are made with different grade metals than what other guns are. They appear to look the same, but unless you are able to test metal quality ya'll never know.

Truth is Stranger than Fiction \:\)

#3152941 - 02/05/13 02:58 PM Re: WAl mart guns [Re: varminthunter123]
infoman jr.
10 Point

Loc: Elizabethtown, KY

Originally Posted By: varminthunter123
I know for a fact

unless you are able to test metal quality ya'll never know.

Interesting...

#3152968 - 02/05/13 03:34 PM Re: WAl mart guns [Re: infoman jr.]
ratsnakeboogy
10 Point

Loc: Andersonville, TN

content Online
 Originally Posted By: infoman jr.
I know for a fact

unless you are able to test metal quality ya'll never know.

Interesting...

^^^^^^ Ding,Ding,Ding.

#3153020 - 02/05/13 04:28 PM Re: WAl mart guns [Re: ratsnakeboogy]
Hunter 257W
10 Point

I don't believe the recievers, barrels, triggers, etc. at WalMart are different with the gun being presented as the very same gun a local gunshop sells. You have to have certain qualities in the steels used for those parts that can't be shortcut in manufacturing such as the alloy you begin with or heat treat and just the basic machining time to fabricate the dimensions. Any differences in say a Remington 700 at WalMart and a local gun shop would be something obvious such as I mentioned above and would be indicated in the model number/packaging.

I have looked at the catalogs that WalMart orders guns from in the past when talking about what they could get with a salesman. They were just the standard manufacturers part numbers.

#3153022 - 02/05/13 04:30 PM Re: WAl mart guns [Re: Hunter 257W]
Hunter 257W
10 Point

What I find most incredible with this discussion is the implication that somebody has found a salesperson at a WalMart gun counter recently that actually knows what a gun is!!?! \:\)
#3153027 - 02/05/13 04:35 PM Re: WAl mart guns [Re: Hunter 257W]
KPH
10 Point

Loc: Hendersonville Tenn

Originally Posted By: Hunter 257W
What I find most incredible with this discussion is the implication that somebody has found a salesperson at a WalMart gun counter recently that actually knows what a gun is!!?! \:\)

Now that is true

#3153042 - 02/05/13 04:56 PM Re: WAl mart guns [Re: KPH]
BigD_625
10 Point

Loc: Maury County, TN

Originally Posted By: KPH
 Originally Posted By: Hunter 257W

Now that is true

I can't find them at all. \:\)

#3153085 - 02/05/13 05:34 PM Re: WAl mart guns [Re: BlountArrow]
mathews338
10 Point

Loc: jackson co.

Originally Posted By: BlountArrow
 Originally Posted By: ratsnakeboogy
Nope, same guns as any other shops carry....

Absolutely not true.

However, second hand is not the right term either. I probably can't convince you, and many will want to argue with me, but I was in the gun business from 1999 - 2005, and I can tell you with absolute certainty and confidence that the gun you buy in Wal-Mart is not the same gun you would buy at your local sporting goods store or other retailer. Now, if you're only talking about little Cricket 22s, Little Marlins or Savage 22s that are already inexpensive guns then that's a different story and those guns are most likely the same.

So let me qualify this statement, again I have been out of the gun world since 2005, so maybe things have changed since then (I HIGHLY HIGHLY DOUBT IT). I can tell you with absolute certainty that when you compare firearms like your Remington 700s, other Remington bolt models, Ruger M77s, etc, Various shotguns above the $200 price point the gun you buy at Wal-Mart IS NOT THE SAME as the gun you would pick up at an independednt shop or other retailer. How do they do it? There are various ways and you will most likely not get anyone at Wal-Mart to talk about it nor will you get a gun mfg to admit to it. One of the ways is parts substitutions...maybe a part that performs no integral function or no safety function is plastic instead of steel or pot metal instead of steel. In some cases, Wal-Mart agrees to take lower quality wood. The finishing on certain parts is skimped on, etc. If you don't want to believe it that is fine. It doesn't mean the gun is a piece of crap, doesn't mean anything like that, but just don't let yourself think they are the same.

The gun margins and mark-ups are ridiculously low. Don't think that Wal-Mart, just because of sheer buying power - which there's is HUGE no doubt, that they can buy in bulk to the point that price point gets to where it is without sacrificing certain modifications to the gun. It's not an old wives tale. It was fact from 1999 - 2005 and while I can't speak for today's practices by Wal-Mart I would bet it is still fact because I still see a lot of their prices on firearms trumping other big name, big box retailers. Wal-Mart is a giant, and they have a lot of buying power, and they have a lot of GENERATIONAL contracts that are still enforced today that Sam Walton himself authored.

i agree 100%. walmart guns are built cheaper. nothing wrong with them but they are not the same quality as others.

buddy of mine bought a TC Omega with black stock from walmart, another guy i know got the same gun from local outdoor shop and paid around $100 more and side by side you could tell that the walmart gun was not of the same qaulity. it did shoot just as good, it only looked and felt cheaper.

Page 3 of 7 <12345>Last »

Moderator:  RUGER, gtk, Bobby G, Unicam, CBU93, stretch, TurkeyBurd, Kimber45, Mrs.Unicam, Crappie Luck 
Hop to:
Top Posters
RUGER
Deer Assassin
BSK
Crappie Luck
spitndrum
Newest Members
TieCampBuckSlayer, ChuckNorris, Breesor1, Hunter111, THEdonkey0515
13083 Registered Users
Who's Online
57 registered (griz01, THEdonkey0515, Model70Man, SEC, garnermtn, wayne, 8 invisible) and 122 anonymous users online.
Forum Stats
13079 Members
42 Forums
88162 Topics
1032797 Posts

Max Online: 788 @ 11/11/13 08:06 PM
Moon Phase
CURRENT MOON
July
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5
6 7 8 9 10 11 12
13 14 15 16 17 18 19
20 21 22 23 24 25 26
27 28 29 30 31
Forum Donations
The TnDeer.Com Deer Talk Forum is for Tennessee Deer Hunters by Tennessee Deer Hunters. If you enjoy using our Talk Forum and would like to contribute to help in it's up-keep. Just submit your contribution by clicking on the DONATE button below and paying with PayPal or a major credit card. Any amount is much appreciated. Thanks for your support!

TN Burn Safe

Generated in 0.248 seconds in which 0.001 seconds were spent on a total of 15 queries. Zlib compression enabled.