Tndeer Logo

Page 2 of 7 <12345>Last »
Topic Options
#3152379 - 02/05/13 06:15 AM Re: WAl mart guns [Re: ratsnakeboogy]
BlountArrow
8 Point

Loc: SouthEast Tenn

Originally Posted By: ratsnakeboogy
Nope, same guns as any other shops carry....

Absolutely not true.

However, second hand is not the right term either. I probably can't convince you, and many will want to argue with me, but I was in the gun business from 1999 - 2005, and I can tell you with absolute certainty and confidence that the gun you buy in Wal-Mart is not the same gun you would buy at your local sporting goods store or other retailer. Now, if you're only talking about little Cricket 22s, Little Marlins or Savage 22s that are already inexpensive guns then that's a different story and those guns are most likely the same.

So let me qualify this statement, again I have been out of the gun world since 2005, so maybe things have changed since then (I HIGHLY HIGHLY DOUBT IT). I can tell you with absolute certainty that when you compare firearms like your Remington 700s, other Remington bolt models, Ruger M77s, etc, Various shotguns above the $200 price point the gun you buy at Wal-Mart IS NOT THE SAME as the gun you would pick up at an independednt shop or other retailer. How do they do it? There are various ways and you will most likely not get anyone at Wal-Mart to talk about it nor will you get a gun mfg to admit to it. One of the ways is parts substitutions...maybe a part that performs no integral function or no safety function is plastic instead of steel or pot metal instead of steel. In some cases, Wal-Mart agrees to take lower quality wood. The finishing on certain parts is skimped on, etc. If you don't want to believe it that is fine. It doesn't mean the gun is a piece of crap, doesn't mean anything like that, but just don't let yourself think they are the same.

The gun margins and mark-ups are ridiculously low. Don't think that Wal-Mart, just because of sheer buying power - which there's is HUGE no doubt, that they can buy in bulk to the point that price point gets to where it is without sacrificing certain modifications to the gun. It's not an old wives tale. It was fact from 1999 - 2005 and while I can't speak for today's practices by Wal-Mart I would bet it is still fact because I still see a lot of their prices on firearms trumping other big name, big box retailers. Wal-Mart is a giant, and they have a lot of buying power, and they have a lot of GENERATIONAL contracts that are still enforced today that Sam Walton himself authored.

Edited by BlountArrow (02/05/13 07:28 AM)
Edit Reason: spelling...

#3152425 - 02/05/13 07:16 AM Re: WAl mart guns [Re: BlountArrow]
-DRM-
6 Point

Loc: Spring Hill, TN

BlountArrow nailed it. Wal*Mart has enough buying power that they can order things they way they want them, to get the price point where they want it.

For example, this tire is produced by Goodyear FOR Wal*Mart, and ONLY for Wal*Mart:

To think Wal*Mart can't call up a supplier and tell them what they want it a little naive.

#3152592 - 02/05/13 09:38 AM Re: WAl mart guns [Re: -DRM-]
ratsnakeboogy
10 Point

Loc: Andersonville, TN

Well think what you want, and in some cases you might be somewhat correct.

I can tell you I have 2 1187 premiers, one bought from walmart 10 years ago and one from a well known gun shop in Middle Tennessee and I break them down COMPLETELY every year to clean. The only difference between the two is about 94 dollars.

It may be so on some guns, as I don't have everything they sell. I can say that if there was a malfunction that caused a safety issue and someone got hurt or killed it would be a huge liability for Wal-Mart. So if they are doing what you say they are, somebody in Wal-Mart ordering is a complete moron.

#3152611 - 02/05/13 09:53 AM Re: WAl mart guns [Re: ratsnakeboogy]
BlountArrow
8 Point

Well think what you want, and in some cases you might be somewhat correct.

I don't think I know...again up until 2005.

...I break them down COMPLETELY every year to clean. The only difference between the two is about 94 dollars.

In many cases the differences may not be something you can notice or would notice. Are you a metallurgist by the way? I'm not going to argue about it. I'm not even sure why I'm replying because I know the facts and I know that a large population will refuse to believe it because they think their gun is somehow less of a gun because they got it at Wal-Mart and that's not what I said at all.

...I can say that if there was a malfunction that caused a safety issue and someone got hurt or killed it would be a huge liability for Wal-Mart. So if they are doing what you say they are, somebody in Wal-Mart ordering is a complete moron.

Did I say they were altering integral parts or parts that performed a safety function? No, I did not. In fact, I said the exact opposite; parts of integral function or a safety function were NOT compromised. Again, this is my knowledge of the industry up until 2005.

You can think what you want but my knowledge on this subject, unlike others, is not an opinion.

#3152637 - 02/05/13 10:11 AM Re: WAl mart guns [Re: BlountArrow]
ratsnakeboogy
10 Point

Like I said, and no offense intended.

Not trying to get your underwear wadded up, but mine Premiers are the same down to every last spring, disconector, etc.

Does what you are saying happen? Maybe, probably, not sure.

I find it a bit hard to believe Remington would go to EXPENSE of outsourcing, retooling, etc to make a few springs, latches, disconectors, that already cost them very little to save a few pennies, but that's just me. We can agree to disagree, no biggie.

#3152658 - 02/05/13 10:38 AM Re: WAl mart guns [Re: ratsnakeboogy]
-DRM-
6 Point

Loc: Spring Hill, TN

I find it a bit hard to believe Remington would go to EXPENSE of outsourcing, retooling, etc to make a few springs, latches, disconectors, that already cost them very little to save a few pennies, but that's just me. We can agree to disagree, no biggie.

Goodyear will make Wal*Mart an entirely custom TIRE with a tread pattern than is 100% unique to Wal*Mart (as I pointed out), why do you have a hard time believing a gun manufacturer won't alter their manufacturing process or vary parts?

There is no disagree here - it HAPPENS. Some of you just can't bring yourselves to accept it, lol.

#3152660 - 02/05/13 10:40 AM Re: WAl mart guns [Re: ratsnakeboogy]
BlountArrow
8 Point

...no offense intended...Not trying to get your underwear wadded up...We can agree to disagree, no biggie.

First, no offense taken; I've yet to be offended by anyone's opinion on TNDeer. Second, I'm not wearing any so not possible. Third, indeed - agree to disagree. Lastly, your logic concerning the manufacturing process sounds intelligent when written but those are not accurate statements because it is not a true representation of this sort of manufacturing process.

In the words of Forest Gump, "That's all I have to say about that."

#3152700 - 02/05/13 11:16 AM Re: WAl mart guns [Re: BlountArrow]
infoman jr.
10 Point

Loc: Elizabethtown, KY

content Online
 Originally Posted By: BlountArrow
Nope, same guns as any other shops carry....

Absolutely not true.

However, second hand is not the right term either. I probably can't convince you, and many will want to argue with me, but I was in the gun business from 1999 - 2005, and I can tell you with absolute certainty and confidence that the gun you buy in Wal-Mart is not the same gun you would buy at your local sporting goods store or other retailer. Now, if you're only talking about little Cricket 22s, Little Marlins or Savage 22s that are already inexpensive guns then that's a different story and those guns are most likely the same.

So let me qualify this statement, again I have been out of the gun world since 2005, so maybe things have changed since then (I HIGHLY HIGHLY DOUBT IT). I can tell you with absolute certainty that when you compare firearms like your Remington 700s, other Remington bolt models, Ruger M77s, etc, Various shotguns above the $200 price point the gun you buy at Wal-Mart IS NOT THE SAME as the gun you would pick up at an independednt shop or other retailer. How do they do it? There are various ways and you will most likely not get anyone at Wal-Mart to talk about it nor will you get a gun mfg to admit to it. One of the ways is parts substitutions...maybe a part that performs no integral function or no safety function is plastic instead of steel or pot metal instead of steel. In some cases, Wal-Mart agrees to take lower quality wood. The finishing on certain parts is skimped on, etc. If you don't want to believe it that is fine. It doesn't mean the gun is a piece of crap, doesn't mean anything like that, but just don't let yourself think they are the same.

The gun margins and mark-ups are ridiculously low. Don't think that Wal-Mart, just because of sheer buying power - which there's is HUGE no doubt, that they can buy in bulk to the point that price point gets to where it is without sacrificing certain modifications to the gun. It's not an old wives tale. It was fact from 1999 - 2005 and while I can't speak for today's practices by Wal-Mart I would bet it is still fact because I still see a lot of their prices on firearms trumping other big name, big box retailers. Wal-Mart is a giant, and they have a lot of buying power, and they have a lot of GENERATIONAL contracts that are still enforced today that Sam Walton himself authored.

What exactly was your role in the gun industry? See my earlier post.

#3152734 - 02/05/13 11:35 AM Re: WAl mart guns [Re: -DRM-]
ratsnakeboogy
10 Point

Originally Posted By: -DRM-

Goodyear will make Wal*Mart an entirely custom TIRE with a tread pattern than is 100% unique to Wal*Mart (as I pointed out), why do you have a hard time believing a gun manufacturer won't alter their manufacturing process or vary parts?

There is no disagree here - it HAPPENS. Some of you just can't bring yourselves to accept it, lol.

I can entirely see the tire thing, retooling or outsourcing to save $3.39 on a $700 shotgun not so much.

But hey, we could probably be better served using this energy to "stick it to the man"!

#3152803 - 02/05/13 12:45 PM Re: WAl mart guns [Re: ratsnakeboogy]
RUGER Administrator
Mouse Killa
Non-Typical

Loc: TN

\:D

Page 2 of 7 <12345>Last »

Moderator:  RUGER, gtk, Bobby G, Unicam, CBU93, stretch, TurkeyBurd, Kimber45, Mrs.Unicam, Crappie Luck 
Hop to:
Top Posters
RUGER
Deer Assassin
BSK
Crappie Luck
spitndrum
Newest Members
purrpplee, tnduckhunter, draw2drop, Oh Deer, Deer slayer85
13112 Registered Users
Who's Online
117 registered (bull, Jaye, HuntNShoot, HDUKE1986, BamaProud, edtcase, 12 invisible) and 109 anonymous users online.
Forum Stats
13112 Members
42 Forums
89377 Topics
1045372 Posts

Max Online: 788 @ 11/11/13 08:06 PM
Moon Phase
CURRENT MOON
August
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Forum Donations
The TnDeer.Com Deer Talk Forum is for Tennessee Deer Hunters by Tennessee Deer Hunters. If you enjoy using our Talk Forum and would like to contribute to help in it's up-keep. Just submit your contribution by clicking on the DONATE button below and paying with PayPal or a major credit card. Any amount is much appreciated. Thanks for your support!

TN Burn Safe

Generated in 0.234 seconds in which 0.003 seconds were spent on a total of 15 queries. Zlib compression enabled.