Tndeer Logo

Page 1 of 2 12>
Topic Options
#3152183 - 02/04/13 09:59 PM Calling to birds in the tree?
Layne
4 Point

Loc: Eads TN

Another post got me interested in how many call to birds in the tree and how many wait until they are on the ground?

I personally like to give a few soft yelps while he is in the tree once I have setup, just to let the bird know a hen is sitting beside me waiting for him. Usually that's all the calling I do while he is in the tree, unless I'm just in the mood to hear birds gobble and fly the other way.

I've killed several birds this way but then I've also seen many fly the other way... fact is we are still competing against any real hens in the area and I usually lose that contest.

#3152233 - 02/04/13 10:34 PM Re: Calling to birds in the tree? [Re: Layne]
Grizzly Johnson Moderator
Turkey Forum Police
16 Point

Loc: Tennessee

Originally Posted By: Layne
I personally like to give a few soft yelps while he is in the tree once I have setup, just to let the bird know a hen is sitting beside me waiting for him. Usually that's all the calling I do while he is in the tree, unless I'm just in the mood to hear birds gobble and fly the other way.

I've killed several birds this way but then I've also seen many fly the other way... fact is we are still competing against any real hens in the area and I usually lose that contest.

If I get to where I "know" there is a turkey before daylight, as it gets daylight, I usually give him a little limb music to take his temp.... I typically throw 2-3 fly-down series of wingbeats, spacing them out a minute or two apart.... works better in low light so he can't actually see the hens flying down... just hears them.

If it is good light and depending on the foliage level, I will just try to close the distance as quick & quiet as possible... then set up.... followed by some yelps and scratching to simulate a hen is walking towards him.... but I'm playing hard to get.

It is hard to play against real hens.... but that's where you have to learn to call the hens.... dragging the tom along too.

#3152267 - 02/04/13 10:57 PM Re: Calling to birds in the tree? [Re: Grizzly Johnson]
deerhunter10
10 Point

Loc: maury county tn

yes but just enough to know im there.. and I found the best way to get a long beard away from hens or to get the hens to come to you, is to copy the hens it seems to piss them off. and have killed some and seen a lot of bird kill off roost and from hens coming to you.

#3152303 - 02/05/13 12:02 AM Re: Calling to birds in the tree? [Re: deerhunter10]
catman529
spiderboy
16 Point

Loc: Franklin TN

confused Online
the one time I pissed a hen off, was when I killed my first turkey. just a couple clucks and purrs and this one hen broke away from the group and came to 5 yards looking for a fight... 2 jakes followed, 1 of them died. Another time I was calling 1 hen, 2 jakes and 2 toms off private land onto public land. the hen came in first, looked around for me, then went to feeding.. the jakes came in next, looking around, then the toms came in, full strut, I hesitated and lost my chance at a tom, and ended up killing one of the jakes.

but not to hijack your thread. I don't know if calling them on the limb helps or not. I don't have enough experience yet. But I might call a couple times just to hear him gobble...

#3152318 - 02/05/13 01:46 AM Re: Calling to birds in the tree? [Re: catman529]
Southern Sportsman
6 Point

Loc: West TN

Yes, but very softly, usually with a wingbone -- not really sure why i just think a wingbone sounds softer and ive had good luck with it. Sometimes ill do a louder cadence and a flydown cackle before he flys down as well but that, like everything else, depends on the setup.
#3152574 - 02/05/13 09:20 AM Re: Calling to birds in the tree? [Re: Southern Sportsman]
woodsman87
8 Point

Loc: south TN

Just maybe once series of yelps. Most gobblers wherever I hunt are pressured and will sit in tree all day if you keep calling loudly to them.

If I think he is by himself I will wait until he flies down then start calling. Try to see which way he goes then get in front. If there are several turkeys or hens with him I may call in tree some to see if I can call up hens.
Hens compete for mating too, and they usually bring "thier" gobblers the other way.

#3152693 - 02/05/13 11:14 AM Re: Calling to birds in the tree? [Re: woodsman87]
Mike Belt
TnDeer Old Timer
16 Point

Loc: Lakeland, Tn.

More often than not I'll at least let a bird talking from the roost know I'm just a little ways from his location then wait until he's on the ground before deciding what to do next.

#3153000 - 02/05/13 04:10 PM Re: Calling to birds in the tree? [Re: Mike Belt]
muddyboots
12 Point

Loc: savannah, tn., usa

Depends. I try to stay sparse until i hear him get down but if the hens are talking too i get louder and longer than them and it has worked alot. They pitch out and come right to it early in the season.

#3153349 - 02/05/13 09:17 PM Re: Calling to birds in the tree? [Re: muddyboots]
Setterman
8 Point

Loc: Knoxville, TN

mad Online
Have I ever mentioned I despise dealing with roosted birds?

The past few years I have gotten to where I am more likely to get close to a roosted bird, and not make a peep. All I am doing is listening for hens, how many longbeards there are, whether there are jakes, etc etc. I am gathering intel on what I am dealing with in other words.

I generally wait for them to fly down, that way I know where they are likely headed, and based on the intel I then know how to deal with them once their feet are on the ground.

In my younger days I battled it out a million times with roosted birds and finally figured out that 90% of the birds I was killing, I killed an hour after fly down, and were generally birds I did not set up on while they were still on the limb.

So take it for what it's worth, but for me I lay back and stay patient until I have the facts and have an idea of what his plan may or may not be.

Edited by Setterman (02/05/13 09:17 PM)

#3153666 - 02/06/13 10:05 AM Re: Calling to birds in the tree? [Re: Setterman]
Roost 1
10 Point

Loc: KY

50/50 chance they will fly down in your direction....
One day if they hunt long enough a lot of these guys will realize ol Setterman and roost 1 knew a thing or two about turkey hunting.....

Z7extreme
Savage 10ML 2
Remington 700P

Page 1 of 2 12>

Moderator:  RUGER, Bobby G, Unicam, Cuttin Caller, CBU93, stretch, TurkeyBurd, Kimber45, Kirk, Crappie Luck, Grizzly Johnson 
Hop to:
Top Posters
RUGER
Deer Assassin
BSK
Crappie Luck
spitndrum
Newest Members
PEhunter, Amy pesterfield, Blood seeker, fghijk604245, top_of_the_foodchain
13289 Registered Users
Who's Online
96 registered (JWW4, leader, PapPaw, Mr.Bro, Hollar Hunter, bowhunterfanatic, 11 invisible) and 152 anonymous users online.
Forum Stats
13289 Members
42 Forums
85412 Topics
1032012 Posts

Max Online: 788 @ 11/11/13 08:06 PM
Moon Phase
CURRENT MOON
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5
6 7 8 9 10 11 12
13 14 15 16 17 18 19
20 21 22 23 24 25 26
27 28 29 30
Forum Donations
The TnDeer.Com Deer Talk Forum is for Tennessee Deer Hunters by Tennessee Deer Hunters. If you enjoy using our Talk Forum and would like to contribute to help in it's up-keep. Just submit your contribution by clicking on the DONATE button below and paying with PayPal or a major credit card. Any amount is much appreciated. Thanks for your support!

TN Burn Safe

Generated in 0.259 seconds in which 0.01 seconds were spent on a total of 15 queries. Zlib compression enabled.