Tndeer Logo

Page all of 7 12345>Last »
Topic Options
#3152019 - 02/04/13 08:29 PM WAl mart guns
striperhunter90
4 Point

Loc: mcminnville tn

who has had problems with wal mart guns? i have always heard they are 2nd hand guns is this true?

If fishing is interfering with your business, give up your business

#3152022 - 02/04/13 08:34 PM Re: WAl mart guns [Re: striperhunter90]
ratsnakeboogy
10 Point

Loc: Andersonville, TN

Nope, same guns as any other shops carry. Think about it, they are the largest seller of guns in the US, that would be a lot of second hand guns. Makes no sense, old wives tale.
#3152031 - 02/04/13 08:41 PM Re: WAl mart guns [Re: ratsnakeboogy]
striperhunter90
4 Point

Loc: mcminnville tn

i agree just wanted to hear others opinions

If fishing is interfering with your business, give up your business

#3152047 - 02/04/13 08:46 PM Re: WAl mart guns [Re: ratsnakeboogy]
-DRM-
6 Point

Loc: Spring Hill, TN

Originally Posted By: ratsnakeboogy
Nope, same guns as any other shops carry.

Maybe, maybe not. As the largest gun seller in the country, it would not be unusual for them to place an order for guns that are built the way they want them, for example - to get the price point where they want it.

#3152072 - 02/04/13 08:58 PM Re: WAl mart guns [Re: -DRM-]
Kimberman
10 Point

Loc: Knoxville

I will support local shops before I support Wal Mart.

#3152104 - 02/04/13 09:14 PM Re: WAl mart guns [Re: -DRM-]
ratsnakeboogy
10 Point

Originally Posted By: -DRM-
Nope, same guns as any other shops carry.

Maybe, maybe not. As the largest gun seller in the country, it would not be unusual for them to place an order for guns that are built the way they want them, for example - to get the price point where they want it.

Cosmetically I would agree, as far as Internal parts and wear items I really don't see that happening. To much of a liability. As far as the original poster's question of 2nd hand, that's complete hogwash.

#3152164 - 02/04/13 09:44 PM Re: WAl mart guns [Re: ratsnakeboogy]
KPH
10 Point

Loc: Hendersonville Tenn

They are the same as you would buy any where else.

#3152196 - 02/04/13 10:07 PM Re: WAl mart guns [Re: KPH]
infoman jr.
10 Point

Loc: Elizabethtown, KY

I can't speak for other companies, but for remington, here's how it works. If you call remington up and order thousands of guns, you can pretty much get them how you want them. They are no lesser quality than any other vendor. That's why you see guns at Walmart, Dick's, Gander, etc that are not on the remington website or catalog; they buy in bulk. That's why you don't see the model 700 ADL in the catalog.

#3152231 - 02/04/13 10:33 PM Re: WAl mart guns [Re: infoman jr.]
pressfit
10 Point

Loc: Giles Co. Tn

A guy that runs a tire shop told me that walmart was selling tires called "seconds".. you know.. not first quality.. I didnt really beleive him but to be sure.. I called goodyear and asked them.. they assured me that they were not selling seconds and kindly asked me who had told me.. I gave them the guys name and the name of his store.. would you beleive the next day the guy running the tire shop sent word to me through his son in law that walmart was NOT selling seconds...LOL

#3152353 - 02/05/13 05:34 AM Re: WAl mart guns [Re: pressfit]
BMan
16 Point

Loc: Middle TN

Originally Posted By: pressfit
A guy that runs a tire shop told me that walmart was selling tires called "seconds".. you know.. not first quality.. I didnt really beleive him but to be sure.. I called goodyear and asked them.. they assured me that they were not selling seconds and kindly asked me who had told me.. I gave them the guys name and the name of his store.. would you beleive the next day the guy running the tire shop sent word to me through his son in law that walmart was NOT selling seconds...LOL

The old "WalMart sells seconds" crap is ancient - and, as you've seen, wrong.

WalMart warrants every tire they sell. There's no way they're going to sell substandard tires, and expose themselves to high warranty claims and increased expense.

I've bought probably 10 or 12 full sets of tires from WalMart in the past 20 years; Goodyears, Bridgestones, Dunlops, and generic-labelled Coopers. NOT ONCE have I had a problem with any single tire, and their tire installers are just as good as any working at a name-brand tire shop.

#3152379 - 02/05/13 06:15 AM Re: WAl mart guns [Re: ratsnakeboogy]
BlountArrow
10 Point

Loc: SouthEast Tenn

Nope, same guns as any other shops carry....

Absolutely not true.

However, second hand is not the right term either. I probably can't convince you, and many will want to argue with me, but I was in the gun business from 1999 - 2005, and I can tell you with absolute certainty and confidence that the gun you buy in Wal-Mart is not the same gun you would buy at your local sporting goods store or other retailer. Now, if you're only talking about little Cricket 22s, Little Marlins or Savage 22s that are already inexpensive guns then that's a different story and those guns are most likely the same.

So let me qualify this statement, again I have been out of the gun world since 2005, so maybe things have changed since then (I HIGHLY HIGHLY DOUBT IT). I can tell you with absolute certainty that when you compare firearms like your Remington 700s, other Remington bolt models, Ruger M77s, etc, Various shotguns above the $200 price point the gun you buy at Wal-Mart IS NOT THE SAME as the gun you would pick up at an independednt shop or other retailer. How do they do it? There are various ways and you will most likely not get anyone at Wal-Mart to talk about it nor will you get a gun mfg to admit to it. One of the ways is parts substitutions...maybe a part that performs no integral function or no safety function is plastic instead of steel or pot metal instead of steel. In some cases, Wal-Mart agrees to take lower quality wood. The finishing on certain parts is skimped on, etc. If you don't want to believe it that is fine. It doesn't mean the gun is a piece of crap, doesn't mean anything like that, but just don't let yourself think they are the same.

The gun margins and mark-ups are ridiculously low. Don't think that Wal-Mart, just because of sheer buying power - which there's is HUGE no doubt, that they can buy in bulk to the point that price point gets to where it is without sacrificing certain modifications to the gun. It's not an old wives tale. It was fact from 1999 - 2005 and while I can't speak for today's practices by Wal-Mart I would bet it is still fact because I still see a lot of their prices on firearms trumping other big name, big box retailers. Wal-Mart is a giant, and they have a lot of buying power, and they have a lot of GENERATIONAL contracts that are still enforced today that Sam Walton himself authored.

Edited by BlountArrow (02/05/13 07:28 AM)
Edit Reason: spelling...

#3152425 - 02/05/13 07:16 AM Re: WAl mart guns [Re: BlountArrow]
-DRM-
6 Point

BlountArrow nailed it. Wal*Mart has enough buying power that they can order things they way they want them, to get the price point where they want it.

For example, this tire is produced by Goodyear FOR Wal*Mart, and ONLY for Wal*Mart:

To think Wal*Mart can't call up a supplier and tell them what they want it a little naive.

#3152592 - 02/05/13 09:38 AM Re: WAl mart guns [Re: -DRM-]
ratsnakeboogy
10 Point

Well think what you want, and in some cases you might be somewhat correct.

I can tell you I have 2 1187 premiers, one bought from walmart 10 years ago and one from a well known gun shop in Middle Tennessee and I break them down COMPLETELY every year to clean. The only difference between the two is about 94 dollars.

It may be so on some guns, as I don't have everything they sell. I can say that if there was a malfunction that caused a safety issue and someone got hurt or killed it would be a huge liability for Wal-Mart. So if they are doing what you say they are, somebody in Wal-Mart ordering is a complete moron.

#3152611 - 02/05/13 09:53 AM Re: WAl mart guns [Re: ratsnakeboogy]
BlountArrow
10 Point

Well think what you want, and in some cases you might be somewhat correct.

I don't think I know...again up until 2005.

...I break them down COMPLETELY every year to clean. The only difference between the two is about 94 dollars.

In many cases the differences may not be something you can notice or would notice. Are you a metallurgist by the way? I'm not going to argue about it. I'm not even sure why I'm replying because I know the facts and I know that a large population will refuse to believe it because they think their gun is somehow less of a gun because they got it at Wal-Mart and that's not what I said at all.

...I can say that if there was a malfunction that caused a safety issue and someone got hurt or killed it would be a huge liability for Wal-Mart. So if they are doing what you say they are, somebody in Wal-Mart ordering is a complete moron.

Did I say they were altering integral parts or parts that performed a safety function? No, I did not. In fact, I said the exact opposite; parts of integral function or a safety function were NOT compromised. Again, this is my knowledge of the industry up until 2005.

You can think what you want but my knowledge on this subject, unlike others, is not an opinion.

#3152637 - 02/05/13 10:11 AM Re: WAl mart guns [Re: BlountArrow]
ratsnakeboogy
10 Point

Like I said, and no offense intended.

Not trying to get your underwear wadded up, but mine Premiers are the same down to every last spring, disconector, etc.

Does what you are saying happen? Maybe, probably, not sure.

I find it a bit hard to believe Remington would go to EXPENSE of outsourcing, retooling, etc to make a few springs, latches, disconectors, that already cost them very little to save a few pennies, but that's just me. We can agree to disagree, no biggie.

#3152658 - 02/05/13 10:38 AM Re: WAl mart guns [Re: ratsnakeboogy]
-DRM-
6 Point

I find it a bit hard to believe Remington would go to EXPENSE of outsourcing, retooling, etc to make a few springs, latches, disconectors, that already cost them very little to save a few pennies, but that's just me. We can agree to disagree, no biggie.

Goodyear will make Wal*Mart an entirely custom TIRE with a tread pattern than is 100% unique to Wal*Mart (as I pointed out), why do you have a hard time believing a gun manufacturer won't alter their manufacturing process or vary parts?

There is no disagree here - it HAPPENS. Some of you just can't bring yourselves to accept it, lol.

#3152660 - 02/05/13 10:40 AM Re: WAl mart guns [Re: ratsnakeboogy]
BlountArrow
10 Point

...no offense intended...Not trying to get your underwear wadded up...We can agree to disagree, no biggie.

First, no offense taken; I've yet to be offended by anyone's opinion on TNDeer. Second, I'm not wearing any so not possible. Third, indeed - agree to disagree. Lastly, your logic concerning the manufacturing process sounds intelligent when written but those are not accurate statements because it is not a true representation of this sort of manufacturing process.

In the words of Forest Gump, "That's all I have to say about that."

#3152700 - 02/05/13 11:16 AM Re: WAl mart guns [Re: BlountArrow]
infoman jr.
10 Point

Originally Posted By: BlountArrow

Absolutely not true.

However, second hand is not the right term either. I probably can't convince you, and many will want to argue with me, but I was in the gun business from 1999 - 2005, and I can tell you with absolute certainty and confidence that the gun you buy in Wal-Mart is not the same gun you would buy at your local sporting goods store or other retailer. Now, if you're only talking about little Cricket 22s, Little Marlins or Savage 22s that are already inexpensive guns then that's a different story and those guns are most likely the same.

So let me qualify this statement, again I have been out of the gun world since 2005, so maybe things have changed since then (I HIGHLY HIGHLY DOUBT IT). I can tell you with absolute certainty that when you compare firearms like your Remington 700s, other Remington bolt models, Ruger M77s, etc, Various shotguns above the $200 price point the gun you buy at Wal-Mart IS NOT THE SAME as the gun you would pick up at an independednt shop or other retailer. How do they do it? There are various ways and you will most likely not get anyone at Wal-Mart to talk about it nor will you get a gun mfg to admit to it. One of the ways is parts substitutions...maybe a part that performs no integral function or no safety function is plastic instead of steel or pot metal instead of steel. In some cases, Wal-Mart agrees to take lower quality wood. The finishing on certain parts is skimped on, etc. If you don't want to believe it that is fine. It doesn't mean the gun is a piece of crap, doesn't mean anything like that, but just don't let yourself think they are the same.

The gun margins and mark-ups are ridiculously low. Don't think that Wal-Mart, just because of sheer buying power - which there's is HUGE no doubt, that they can buy in bulk to the point that price point gets to where it is without sacrificing certain modifications to the gun. It's not an old wives tale. It was fact from 1999 - 2005 and while I can't speak for today's practices by Wal-Mart I would bet it is still fact because I still see a lot of their prices on firearms trumping other big name, big box retailers. Wal-Mart is a giant, and they have a lot of buying power, and they have a lot of GENERATIONAL contracts that are still enforced today that Sam Walton himself authored.

What exactly was your role in the gun industry? See my earlier post.

#3152734 - 02/05/13 11:35 AM Re: WAl mart guns [Re: -DRM-]
ratsnakeboogy
10 Point

Goodyear will make Wal*Mart an entirely custom TIRE with a tread pattern than is 100% unique to Wal*Mart (as I pointed out), why do you have a hard time believing a gun manufacturer won't alter their manufacturing process or vary parts?

There is no disagree here - it HAPPENS. Some of you just can't bring yourselves to accept it, lol.

I can entirely see the tire thing, retooling or outsourcing to save $3.39 on a $700 shotgun not so much.

But hey, we could probably be better served using this energy to "stick it to the man"!

#3152803 - 02/05/13 12:45 PM Re: WAl mart guns [Re: ratsnakeboogy]
RUGER Administrator
Mouse Killa
Non-Typical

Loc: TN

\:D

#3152815 - 02/05/13 01:00 PM Re: WAl mart guns [Re: RUGER]
MUP
Non-Typical

Loc: Just North of Chatt-town

My experience with tires from wal-mart.

I purchased(several years ago btw) a couple of "Land Terrain" tires from Wal-Mart. These tires were the BFG A/T counter-part, but sold as a Wal-Mart exclusive. They were BFG's, but had the "Land Terrain" sticker instead of "All-Terrain". The difference was, one less side ply, and a different tread design, slightly less agressive. I experienced a blow-out after less than 18k from one of these, and the tread portion came completely off, intact, and went spinning down the 2 lane interstate I was attempting to merge onto. Luckily, the sidewalls flared out, saving my alum wheels. This was my experience trying to save a few bucks, but I won't skimp again let me tell ya. I did, however, take those tires back, and, w/o a road hazard warranty, demanded that they replace both of them...AFTER I researched and found that I was not the only one who had been left on the side of the road by the same thing happening to them. I printed out my paperwork, and talked to the biggest, meanest, looking dept manager I had ever seen, and after some heated discussion, I got them replaced, on a pro-ration! \:D

Amateurs: Built the Ark

Professionals: Built the Titanic

#3152901 - 02/05/13 02:17 PM Re: WAl mart guns [Re: MUP]
Hunter 257W
10 Point

Loc: Franklin County

Years ago Sears and Western Auto both used to sell guns that were basically a cheapened version of popular brand name guns with their own brand names and diffeent model numbers. The differences were cosmetic though rather than something that would lessen reliability. And since they were stamped with a different brand and model, nobody could claim deception.

But I can't believe and have never seen where a big name brand such as a Remington model 700 was sold in two different configurations both having the same Remington catalog number by two different stores. It would cost more to retool, develop new manufacturing processes, run two different production lines for the alternate parts, track the new configuration, etc. than the small amount it would save. Yes, there are special factory production runs made every year but they are usually advertised openly on the gun manufacturer's website and are available through a limited number of wholesalers. I just don't beleive there are guns sold by certain bargain stores with hidden cost cutting differences.

#3152932 - 02/05/13 02:53 PM Re: WAl mart guns [Re: Hunter 257W]
varminthunter123
6 Point

Loc: Somerville, TN

I worked for WalMart for many years and their guns are not the same guns that are in the regular gun stores. I know for a fact they are made with different grade metals than what other guns are. They appear to look the same, but unless you are able to test metal quality ya'll never know.

Truth is Stranger than Fiction \:\)

#3152941 - 02/05/13 02:58 PM Re: WAl mart guns [Re: varminthunter123]
infoman jr.
10 Point

Originally Posted By: varminthunter123
I know for a fact

unless you are able to test metal quality ya'll never know.

Interesting...

#3152968 - 02/05/13 03:34 PM Re: WAl mart guns [Re: infoman jr.]
ratsnakeboogy
10 Point

Originally Posted By: infoman jr.
I know for a fact

unless you are able to test metal quality ya'll never know.

Interesting...

^^^^^^ Ding,Ding,Ding.

#3153020 - 02/05/13 04:28 PM Re: WAl mart guns [Re: ratsnakeboogy]
Hunter 257W
10 Point

I don't believe the recievers, barrels, triggers, etc. at WalMart are different with the gun being presented as the very same gun a local gunshop sells. You have to have certain qualities in the steels used for those parts that can't be shortcut in manufacturing such as the alloy you begin with or heat treat and just the basic machining time to fabricate the dimensions. Any differences in say a Remington 700 at WalMart and a local gun shop would be something obvious such as I mentioned above and would be indicated in the model number/packaging.

I have looked at the catalogs that WalMart orders guns from in the past when talking about what they could get with a salesman. They were just the standard manufacturers part numbers.

#3153022 - 02/05/13 04:30 PM Re: WAl mart guns [Re: Hunter 257W]
Hunter 257W
10 Point

What I find most incredible with this discussion is the implication that somebody has found a salesperson at a WalMart gun counter recently that actually knows what a gun is!!?! \:\)
#3153027 - 02/05/13 04:35 PM Re: WAl mart guns [Re: Hunter 257W]
KPH
10 Point

Loc: Hendersonville Tenn

Originally Posted By: Hunter 257W
What I find most incredible with this discussion is the implication that somebody has found a salesperson at a WalMart gun counter recently that actually knows what a gun is!!?! \:\)

Now that is true

#3153042 - 02/05/13 04:56 PM Re: WAl mart guns [Re: KPH]
BigD_625
10 Point

Loc: Maury County, TN

Originally Posted By: KPH

Now that is true

I can't find them at all. \:\)

#3153085 - 02/05/13 05:34 PM Re: WAl mart guns [Re: BlountArrow]
mathews338
12 Point

Loc: jackson co.

Absolutely not true.

i agree 100%. walmart guns are built cheaper. nothing wrong with them but they are not the same quality as others.

buddy of mine bought a TC Omega with black stock from walmart, another guy i know got the same gun from local outdoor shop and paid around $100 more and side by side you could tell that the walmart gun was not of the same qaulity. it did shoot just as good, it only looked and felt cheaper.

#3153185 - 02/05/13 06:53 PM Re: WAl mart guns [Re: mathews338]
Encore Eye Candy
10 Point

Loc: 2 Chron. 7:14: Refs signature

When I worked for Corp Store the items we sold you could not buy the same thing from wal mart, target or wherever and it may be the same today. Go to wal mart and write down the model of a TV and then go to Electronic Express or Best Buy and see if you can find the same model. However, you will find simular models but usually not the same.

So if you can find the same product for less we will match, would never work where I worked.

#3153192 - 02/05/13 06:58 PM Re: WAl mart guns [Re: Encore Eye Candy]
Carlos Viagra
16 Point

Loc: Cumberland Plateau

I bought their tires for years and had 2 blow outs- both with WM tires. Never again! Their tires are seconds for sure 100%.

#3153370 - 02/05/13 09:42 PM Re: WAl mart guns [Re: BigD_625]
TNRifleman
8 Point

Loc: Collierville

Originally Posted By: BigD_625

Now that is true

I can't believe you guys have actually found a Wal Mart with a gun counter anymore. I would not buy one from Wal Mart on the basis that they have taken the gun counters out of many of their stores. Maybe this was a strategic business decison based on sales data and ROI but I would more likely believe that it is a slow process of dropping the sales of guns nationwide.

#3153375 - 02/05/13 09:47 PM Re: WAl mart guns [Re: TNRifleman]
pressfit
10 Point

Loc: Giles Co. Tn

Originally Posted By: TNRifleman

Now that is true

I can't believe you guys have actually found a Wal Mart with a gun counter anymore. I would not buy one from Wal Mart on the basis that they have taken the gun counters out of many of their stores. Maybe this was a strategic business decison based on sales data and ROI but I would more likely believe that it is a slow process of dropping the sales of guns nationwide.

how long has it been since you went to a wal mart.. i dont think I have been in one that didnt have a gun counter in the past 2-3 years..

Edited by pressfit (02/05/13 09:48 PM)

#3153382 - 02/05/13 09:58 PM Re: WAl mart guns [Re: pressfit]
BigD_625
10 Point

Originally Posted By: pressfit
 Originally Posted By: TNRifleman

Now that is true

how long has it been since you went to a wal mart.. i dont think I have been in one that didnt have a gun counter in the past 2-3 years..

From what I've seen, most of the ones that took out their gun counter did bring them back. I know there are some in Davidson County that still don't have them.

#3153390 - 02/05/13 10:07 PM Re: WAl mart guns [Re: BigD_625]
TNRifleman
8 Point

Loc: Collierville

There are probably 5 or 6 Wal Marts in Shelby county I think 2 may have gun counters. The one closest to me had one until a couple of years ago when they redid the sporting goods section.
#3153420 - 02/05/13 11:02 PM Re: WAl mart guns [Re: TNRifleman]
Kimberman
10 Point

Loc: Knoxville

The 2 closest WalMarts to me in Knoxville do not have gun counters.

#3153577 - 02/06/13 08:38 AM Re: WAl mart guns [Re: Hunter 257W]
stik
"Popcorn"
18 Point

Loc: lenoir city,tn

come to lenoir city wm and see merrie. she knows guns.

nothing makes a fish bigger than almost being caught

#3156898 - 02/08/13 09:58 PM Re: WAl mart guns [Re: -DRM-]
Savage Knight
4 Point

Loc: Tn

BlountArrow nailed it. Wal*Mart has enough buying power that they can order things they way they want them, to get the price point where they want it.

For example, this tire is produced by Goodyear FOR Wal*Mart, and ONLY for Wal*Mart:

Got a set of these on my grand cherokee and LOVE EM! as for the land terrains the other guy was talkin about I had them on a bronco and you slide in the front yard! they sucked! come to think about it that may have helped with the 2 barrel rolls it took... as for guns ive got an older savage110 243 from wally world bought in 99' I believe, that will hold its own against anything else in the safe! if its a good price, its what you want and it goes boom when you pull the trigger then just shoot the dammed thing!

To think Wal*Mart can't call up a supplier and tell them what they want it a little naive.

#3157222 - 02/09/13 10:06 AM Re: WAl mart guns [Re: Hunter 257W]
tasaman
8 Point

Loc: Woodlawn, TN

I don't believe the recievers, barrels, triggers, etc. at WalMart are different with the gun being presented as the very same gun a local gunshop sells. You have to have certain qualities in the steels used for those parts that can't be shortcut in manufacturing such as the alloy you begin with or heat treat and just the basic machining time to fabricate the dimensions. Any differences in say a Remington 700 at WalMart and a local gun shop would be something obvious such as I mentioned above and would be indicated in the model number/packaging.

True that the receiver, trigger and barrel are probably the very same as you will get on a gun shop gun but it's the "details" that get cut. Simple things like coatings and bluing. We have a 870 youth gun that rusts if you remove it from a humidity controlled room. The finish on the stock wore off in the first season of hunting. It has never been abused. Always wiped down and lubricated properly. So either Remingtons finishes suck or Wally went and cut some corners with this thing.
I have looked at the catalogs that WalMart orders guns from in the past when talking about what they could get with a salesman. They were just the standard manufacturers part numbers.

#3157364 - 02/09/13 01:37 PM Re: WAl mart guns [Re: tasaman]
GRAMPS
14 Point

Loc: Mount Carmel, TN

Winchester did used to make shotguns for Sears. These had stocks made from cheap wood. However, the shotguns were stamped with the name J.C. Higgens and not Winchester. My cousin had one that was copied after the Winchester 1200 pump shotgun which I owned. Other than the cheap stock, the shotguns were the same.

Also my wife bought me a T/C Blace Diamond muzzleloader from Wal-Mart for my birthday a few years ago. Two of my friends have the exact same muzzleloader from a gun shop. The only difference in the muzzleloaders is that mine cost about $100 less than theirs.

#3157969 - 02/09/13 09:36 PM Re: WAl mart guns [Re: GRAMPS]
348Winchester
6 Point

Loc: Coon Creek

New Remingtons are of such poor quality that there is no way they could cheapen them any further even for Evil-Mart.
#3158755 - 02/10/13 03:02 PM Re: WAl mart guns [Re: Hunter 257W]
W.Seay
14 Point

Loc: Collierville,TN.

Yep!

#3158961 - 02/10/13 05:37 PM Re: WAl mart guns [Re: ratsnakeboogy]
Boone 58
16 Point

Loc: Food Plot

Nope, same guns as any other shops carry. Think about it, they are the largest seller of guns in the US, that would be a lot of second hand guns. Makes no sense, old wives tale.

X~2.......idiots start this stuff.

#3158974 - 02/10/13 05:45 PM Re: WAl mart guns [Re: Boone 58]
Hardwoodmaterials
6 Point

Loc: Hohenwald,Tn

If it's a special run made for Wal-Mart or any where else for that matter it will have a different model number or letters on it. Otherwise it is the exact same gun as you buy any where else. The gun shops and owners have always spread rumors about Wal-Mart guns being inferior to what they sell. They can't compete with Wal-Marts prices so they will tell the uninformed people anything to try to scare them away from Wal-Marts guns.
#3159336 - 02/11/13 12:33 AM Re: WAl mart guns [Re: 348Winchester]
TITANSFAN2104
8 Point

Loc: watertown ,TN

Originally Posted By: 348Winchester
New Remingtons are of such poor quality that there is no way they could cheapen them any further even for Evil-Mart.
haven't bought any bolt guns lately but if I do they will more than likely be a savage or drowning from here on out or maybe a cooper ;\)

#3159361 - 02/11/13 05:27 AM Re: WAl mart guns [Re: Boone 58]
BlountArrow
10 Point

Originally Posted By: Boone 58

So, I said I wasn't going to argue about this and I hope I don't get suckered in, but I have to say I do find it comical to read OPINIONS like this from people who obviously have NO first hand knowledge. Believe what you want. Those of us that know the FACTS won't try to change your mind.

#3159421 - 02/11/13 07:29 AM Re: WAl mart guns [Re: BlountArrow]
ratsnakeboogy
10 Point

So, I said I wasn't going to argue about this and I hope I don't get suckered in, but I have to say I do find it comical to read OPINIONS like this from people who obviously have NO first hand knowledge. Believe what you want. Those of us that know the FACTS won't try to change your mind.

EVERYTHING you, I and everybody else on this thread have posted is OPINION until someone posts a VERIFIED link that makes it FACT. If you have such links please post them. Just because you believe your OPINION is FACT, does not make it so. My OPINION on this matter is just OPINION, but it's a FACT that I would love to see VERIFIED citations on your opinion.

#3159432 - 02/11/13 07:46 AM Re: WAl mart guns [Re: ratsnakeboogy]
BlountArrow
10 Point

Okay, so I'm getting suckered back into this. Again, I know the facts because I was involved in that industry. If I can find you an internet link to prove what I encountered first hand I will share that. And, again, because I believe in relaying facts when someone asks this sort of question, not just spouting off my opinion, I will again tell you that what I have said here was fact from 1999 - 2005, whether it still exists today is beyond me.

To your post below, I have to ask how the [censored] would you know that? You answered the OP's question very "matter of factly" wouldn't you say? At least, I offered some reason as to why I know the facts surrounding the OP's question.

Nope, same guns as any other shops carry...Makes no sense, old wives tale.

Edited by BlountArrow (02/11/13 07:54 AM)

#3159439 - 02/11/13 07:54 AM Re: WAl mart guns [Re: BlountArrow]
ratsnakeboogy
10 Point

Okay, so I'm getting suckered back into this. Again, I know the facts because I was involved in that industry. If I can find you an internet link to prove what I encountered first hand I will share that. And, again, because I believe in relaying facts when someone asks this sort of question, not just spouting off my opinion, I will again tell you that what I have said here was fact from 1999 - 2005, whether it still exists today is beyond me.

To your post below, I have to ask how the [censored] would you know that? You answered the OP's question very "matter of factly" wouldn't you say? At least, I offered some reason as to why I know the facts surrounding the OP's question.

Once again, I stated my post was my OPINION, you stated yours was FACT. SHOW ME.

You have a gentleman that has posted on this thread twice that is employed by Remington, I figure that's first-hand experience. If you worked for Wal-Mart procurement and ordering in Arkansas, let us know. If you were on the line when these "alternate parts" were installed, let us know?

Saying your opinion is fact because you worked in the "industry", is no more substantial or believable than me saying I'm a fighter pilot because I build model planes.

I'm wrong everyday about something and I'm open to being disproven, please post verifiable links.

#3159461 - 02/11/13 08:13 AM Re: WAl mart guns [Re: ratsnakeboogy]
BlountArrow
10 Point

Nothing about your original post seemed questionable, you were very matter of fact about your answer. I'm perfectly fine with you not believing me, but for others... sorry, I'm not going to divulge personal information into my previous business dealings because I appreciate some anonymity. But, the whole game is nothing new, it's not completely restricted to firearms either, and again it is not the case for every firearm on the shelf.

#3159470 - 02/11/13 08:26 AM Re: WAl mart guns [Re: BlountArrow]
ratsnakeboogy
10 Point

Nothing about your original post seemed questionable, you were very matter of fact about your answer. I'm perfectly fine with you not believing me, but for others... sorry, I'm not going to divulge personal information into my previous business dealings because I appreciate some anonymity. But, the whole game is nothing new, it's not completely restricted to firearms either, and again it is not the case for every firearm on the shelf.

Look, I'm sure you a great guy and I'm sure you mean well.

BUT, your opinion without evidence is just like mine; OPINION.

Anonymity? Is Wal-mart going to send drones to your house for posting a citation? Is it a conspiracy that you are in on? ;\)

Opinions are like (you know the rest), EVERYBODY has one.

I don't usually get into this crap, but this burns me up. If you are going to talk smack OWN IT!

#3159479 - 02/11/13 08:30 AM Re: WAl mart guns [Re: ratsnakeboogy]
BlountArrow
10 Point

I'm talking smack now?

#3159531 - 02/11/13 09:10 AM Re: WAl mart guns [Re: BlountArrow]
ratsnakeboogy
10 Point

Maybe smack was the wrong terminology, I apologize.

You are talking opinion.

#3159533 - 02/11/13 09:12 AM Re: WAl mart guns [Re: ratsnakeboogy]
BlountArrow
10 Point

Congratulations.

#3159536 - 02/11/13 09:13 AM Re: WAl mart guns [Re: BlountArrow]
rdl65
8 Point

Loc: Washington County

Does anyone know how to tell a Walmart gun from JoBob's Gunstore guns? I would hate to buy one of the cheaper quality versions.

#3159541 - 02/11/13 09:20 AM Re: WAl mart guns [Re: BlountArrow]
ratsnakeboogy
10 Point

Congratulations.

I am not a bad guy, I've been on here for a long time. It's nothing personal, but you can't come on here perpetuating an Urban Myth(my opinion) and say it is fact without backing it up. You say you know for a fact and when someone asks for proof you go all clandestine, double secret probation, espionage on me.

Like I said, I am wrong about something everyday and will gladly say my opinion is unfounded if you can provide some irrefutable proof.

You can't just say "because I said so", that's Liberal debate rules and I don't follow them.

#3159545 - 02/11/13 09:26 AM Re: WAl mart guns [Re: ratsnakeboogy]
BlountArrow
10 Point

Congratulations again. Liberal talk huh? Were you at the 2nd Amendment rally in Blount County Saturday? I was.

Really though, there is nothing I can say or do to convince you. You know that. If I can't provide an internet link, ?like that is the gospel?, then I'm a liar apparently. So, you win.

Edited by BlountArrow (02/11/13 09:31 AM)

#3159595 - 02/11/13 10:03 AM Re: WAl mart guns [Re: BlountArrow]
ratsnakeboogy
10 Point

Congratulations again. Liberal talk huh? Were you at the 2nd Amendment rally in Blount County Saturday? I was.

Really though, there is nothing I can say or do to convince you. You know that. If I can't provide an internet link, ?like that is the gospel?, then I'm a liar apparently. So, you win.

Putting words in my mouth again, I said Liberal Rules. It doesn't have to be internet, I can use books to check citations as well. But don't come on here spewing crap about other people's opinions and stating you "KNOW THE FACTS" and not be able to prove your position. You effectively called out everyone on this thread that did not agree with your position uninformed, naive, and stupid. When you do that, your going to be met with resistance. Your right I win and for the record I did not call you a liar, I just aked for sources. The moment you declared you knew the facts, the burdeon of proof was on you.

For the record, trying to redirect the stated argument by introducing a 2nd ammendment rally two counties away is somewhat of a reach. Believe what you want, but don't tell me I don't know what I'm talking about without having the sources to prove it.

#3159598 - 02/11/13 10:07 AM Re: WAl mart guns [Re: ratsnakeboogy]
BlountArrow
10 Point

I think most folks know the truth; if I recall, the majority of the posters on this thread sided with my side of the argument.

I didn't find anything on firearms specifically to make you feel better, but when you read this do you at least think it is possible? Seriously, it is a world you don't understand.

http://www.businessweek.com/innovate/Nus...f_wal-mart.html

#3159600 - 02/11/13 10:10 AM Re: WAl mart guns [Re: BlountArrow]
BlountArrow
10 Point

Or what about this? Does this prove anyting in your eyes? Aah, maybe, but not really. However, it will show you why you won't hear about this - it's kept hushed.

http://www.fastcompany.com/47593/wal-mart-you-dont-know

From the website:
"But you won't hear evenhanded stories like that from Wal-Mart, or from its current suppliers. Despite being a publicly traded company, Wal-Mart is intensely private. It declined to talk in detail about its relationships with its suppliers for this story. More strikingly, dozens of companies contacted declined to talk about even the basics of their business with Wal-Mart.
Here, for example, is an executive at Dial: "We are one of Wal-Mart's biggest suppliers, and they are our biggest customer by far. We have a great relationship. That's all I can say. Are we done now?" Goaded a bit, the executive responds with an almost hysterical edge: "Are you meshuga? Why in the world would we talk about Wal-Mart? Ask me about anything else, we'll talk. But not Wal-Mart."
No one wants to end up in what is known among Wal-Mart vendors as the "penalty box"--punished, or even excluded from the store shelves, for saying something that makes Wal-Mart unhappy. (The penalty box is normally reserved for vendors who don't meet performance benchmarks, not for those who talk to the press.)
"You won't hear anything negative from most people," says Paul Kelly, founder of Silvermine Consulting Group, a company that helps businesses work more effectively with retailers. "It would be committing suicide. If Wal-Mart takes something the wrong way, it's like Saddam Hussein. You just don't want to piss them off."
As a result, this story was reported in an unusual way: by speaking with dozens of people who have spent years selling to Wal-Mart, or consulting to companies that sell to Wal-Mart, but who no longer work for companies that do business with Wal-Mart. Unless otherwise noted, the companies involved in the events they described refused even to confirm or deny the basics of the events."

#3159658 - 02/11/13 11:01 AM Re: WAl mart guns [Re: BlountArrow]
ratsnakeboogy
10 Point

I think most folks know the truth; if I recall, the majority of the posters on this thread sided with my side of the argument.

I didn't find anything on firearms specifically to make you feel better, but when you read this do you at least think it is possible? Seriously, it is a world you don't understand.

http://www.businessweek.com/innovate/Nus...f_wal-mart.html

It's not a popularity contest, and you're right that link has nothing to do with firearms. If you know for a fact, it should be easy to prove, if some distributor's uncle's brothers's cousin told you, B.S..

I understand manufacturing very well. The cost of keeping up with different part manufacturers, part #s, lot #s, bin #s, wharehouse space, can-ban inventory would be so cost prohibitive for a firearms company that they would just discount the OEM part to the price point of these mythical substandard parts to avoid losing even further money. My opinion is it would make no logical sense on a firearms manufacturing line.

I CAN see cheaper stock options and finishes on certain runs, but internals, I just don't see it (my opinion).

A Remington 700 is a pretty simple firearm: barrel, lug, receiver, trigger group, bolt and bolt internals.

Simple way of proving me wrong, just tell us how you "know for a fact". Simple, easy, and anonymity is not an issue, we use handles on here. If not, I still have the opinion it would cost a company like Remington more to introduce a new part # etc., than it would to just discount the OEM part for Wal-Mart orders.

#3159696 - 02/11/13 11:40 AM Re: WAl mart guns [Re: ratsnakeboogy]
mathews338
12 Point

Loc: jackson co.

EVERYTHING you, I and everybody else on this thread have posted is OPINION until someone posts a VERIFIED link that makes it FACT. If you have such links please post them. Just because you believe your OPINION is FACT, does not make it so. My OPINION on this matter is just OPINION, but it's a FACT that I would love to see VERIFIED citations on your opinion.
do you also think that the John Deere mowers at Lowes are actually John Deere?

#3159718 - 02/11/13 11:56 AM Re: WAl mart guns [Re: mathews338]
BigD_625
10 Point

I know I saw above that you two agreed to disagree. Facts are not facts without proof. If you are not willing to provide proof for your own reasons, you would benefit by going back to your original decision to let it go.

If someone thinks WalMart guns are inferior, let them buy them from someone else. If not, let them save money by purchasing from Walmart and taking advantage of the same manufacturer warranty.

Infoman Jr. helps build military grade weapons for Remington, and he said the retail store gets what they want if they order enough. I would say that if you buy the 700 Anniversary edition from Walmart right now for $777, it's probably the same as the one on a gun store shelf. If you buy the $400 ADL, you might not see it on the shelf at a gun store.

There is no one right answer. There's too many unknowns to produce a valid argument.

My suggestion is that anyone who wants to continue this debate, see if your argument conforms to the following:

A good argument will have, at the very least:
病 thesis that declares the writer's position on the problem at hand;
病n acknowledgment of the opposition that nods to, or quibbles with other points of view;
病 set of clearly defined premises that illustrate the argument's line of reasoning;
鋲vidence that validates the argument's premises;
病 conclusion that convinces the reader that the argument has been soundly and persuasively made.

If not, go back to agree to disagree and move on to something more important.

If you have any other questions about arguments, check this out.

http://www.dartmouth.edu/~writing/materials/student/ac_paper/logic.shtml

#3159745 - 02/11/13 12:20 PM Re: WAl mart guns [Re: mathews338]
ratsnakeboogy
10 Point

[/quote]do you also think that the John Deere mowers at Lowes are actually John Deere? [/quote]

No, I don't. They are re-badged mowers made in an entirely different factory.

That's an apples and oranges debate, and not what is at issue here.

#3159747 - 02/11/13 12:23 PM Re: WAl mart guns [Re: BigD_625]
ratsnakeboogy
10 Point

I know I saw above that you two agreed to disagree. Facts are not facts without proof. If you are not willing to provide proof for your own reasons, you would benefit by going back to your original decision to let it go.

If someone thinks WalMart guns are inferior, let them buy them from someone else. If not, let them save money by purchasing from Walmart and taking advantage of the same manufacturer warranty.

Infoman Jr. helps build military grade weapons for Remington, and he said the retail store gets what they want if they order enough. I would say that if you buy the 700 Anniversary edition from Walmart right now for $777, it's probably the same as the one on a gun store shelf. If you buy the $400 ADL, you might not see it on the shelf at a gun store.

There is no one right answer. There's too many unknowns to produce a valid argument.

My suggestion is that anyone who wants to continue this debate, see if your argument conforms to the following:

病 thesis that declares the writer's position on the problem at hand;
病n acknowledgment of the opposition that nods to, or quibbles with other points of view;
病 set of clearly defined premises that illustrate the argument's line of reasoning;
鋲vidence that validates the argument's premises;
病 conclusion that convinces the reader that the argument has been soundly and persuasively made.

Fine, I'll let it be.

Dartmouth is to high-brow for me anyway.

P.S. - I heard Wal-mart ammo is not the same as regular gunshop ammo(they only give you half the powder), so you guys stop buying it all up so maybe I can get some of it.

#3159871 - 02/11/13 02:06 PM Re: WAl mart guns [Re: ratsnakeboogy]
BigD_625
10 Point

•a thesis that declares the writer's position on the problem at hand;
•an acknowledgment of the opposition that nods to, or quibbles with other points of view;
•a set of clearly defined premises that illustrate the argument's line of reasoning;
•evidence that validates the argument's premises;
•a conclusion that convinces the reader that the argument has been soundly and persuasively made.

Fine, I'll let it be.

Dartmouth is to high-brow for me anyway.

P.S. - I heard Wal-mart ammo is not the same as regular gunshop ammo(they only give you half the powder), so you guys stop buying it all up so maybe I can get some of it.

I would be careful of walmart ammo. I've heard 2 stories already of .270 rounds in a 7mm magnum box. One was on here, and the other was local.

As far as I know, wal-mart is not supposed to take returns on ammo.

By the way RSB, you were up front that you were stating an opinion, so I think you're in line with Dartmouth.

Page all of 7 12345>Last »

Moderator:  RUGER, gtk, Bobby G, Unicam, CBU93, stretch, TurkeyBurd, Kimber45, Mrs.Unicam, Crappie Luck 
Hop to:
Top Posters
RUGER
Deer Assassin
BSK
Crappie Luck
spitndrum
Newest Members
TboneD, sbhockey, ZachA, DocT, Raegan
13202 Registered Users
Who's Online
101 registered (Tborg, killerford, Takeum, turkeyhuntr4, Unicam, bigcntry, 14 invisible) and 140 anonymous users online.
Forum Stats
13202 Members
42 Forums
91396 Topics
1068446 Posts

Max Online: 788 @ 11/11/13 08:06 PM
Moon Phase
CURRENT MOON
August
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Forum Donations
The TnDeer.Com Deer Talk Forum is for Tennessee Deer Hunters by Tennessee Deer Hunters. If you enjoy using our Talk Forum and would like to contribute to help in it's up-keep. Just submit your contribution by clicking on the DONATE button below and paying with PayPal or a major credit card. Any amount is much appreciated. Thanks for your support!

TN Burn Safe

Generated in 0.048 seconds in which 0.001 seconds were spent on a total of 14 queries. Zlib compression enabled.