Page 4 of 7 « First<23456>Last »
Topic Options
#3151756 - 02/04/13 06:23 PM Re: 1 Tip you could offer [Re: Roost 1]
mathews338
12 Point

Loc: jackson co.

Originally Posted By: Roost 1
 Originally Posted By: woodsman87
Don't cackle, cutt, or call too much while they are still in the tree.

I never call to a bird in the tree.....I always wait till he hits the ground.
I agree. Years ago I would get in as close as I could to the roost and start calling and every time the birds would fly all the way across the hollow and when they hit the ground they wouldn't make a sound. I started to stay back a little and not call until they hit the ground and I started killing more birds.
Tom turkey knows where the hens went to roost and if you are in close calling he knows something ain't right.

#3152002 - 02/04/13 08:16 PM Re: 1 Tip you could offer [Re: String Music]
Setterman
8 Point

Loc: Knoxville, TN

Don't use locator calls and if you have them leave em at home so you aren't tempted to use them
#3152109 - 02/04/13 09:17 PM Re: 1 Tip you could offer [Re: Setterman]
Spurhunter
8 Point

Loc: T County, TN

Originally Posted By: Setterman
Don't be afraid to get close to a bird before setting up. Use the terrain and foliage to set up as close as possible to a gobbling bird. Also do not call to said bird until you are close and set up in the best possible location to kill the bird.

Don't use locator calls and if you have them leave em at home so you aren't tempted to use them

This may be the oddest thing I've ever heard. If the birds don't gobble on there own (and some days they don't), how in the helll are you going to know where he's at if you don't use a locator call? Even if you hate locator calls, what would be the harm if some fool blew owl calls or crow calls all day? I am very curious how you hunt. You set up close to birds on the roost, but if he doesn't gobble on his own to give up his position you just go home? Keep in mind we all can't take off all of turkey season. We all can't hunt ranches with turkeys behind every tree and guys following their movements 7 days a week. Some of us hunt 2 hours from home and don't have the option of roosting a bird the night before. Your posts make no sense to me. "Set up close, but don't dare call to him on the limb, or use a locator call." Maybe you hunt places so full of turkeys they gobble every morning on their own. I can assure you here in West TN, there are days when they don't say a word unless you make them.

#3152129 - 02/04/13 09:26 PM Re: 1 Tip you could offer [Re: Setterman]
Layne
4 Point

Loc: Eads TN

I tend to disagree here, I have a lot of success using a owl hoot at daybreak to locate turkeys. I prefer not to yelp to a turkey until I have set up, but turkeys will shock gobble to a owl hoot readily where I hunt.
If you yelp they will try and pin point the location and you can get busted moving in, whereas I believe if you hoot they are not concerned with the location.
Now I rarely use a crow call because I rarely get a response when I do and I only normally us the owl hoot at daybreak.

Just my opinion and experience.

#3152140 - 02/04/13 09:32 PM Re: 1 Tip you could offer [Re: Layne]
Spurhunter
8 Point

Loc: T County, TN

Originally Posted By: Layne

I tend to disagree here, I have a lot of success using a owl hoot at daybreak to locate turkeys. I prefer not to yelp to a turkey until I have set up, but turkeys will shock gobble to a owl hoot readily where I hunt.
If you yelp they will try and pin point the location and you can get busted moving in, whereas I believe if you hoot they are not concerned with the location.
Now I rarely use a crow call because I rarely get a response when I do and I only normally us the owl hoot at daybreak.

Just my opinion and experience.

My experience as well. I almost never get a response to a crow call later in the day, but if they don't gobble on their own and I am racing daylight to get set up close, an owl call works wonders.

#3152371 - 02/05/13 06:01 AM Re: 1 Tip you could offer [Re: Spurhunter]
Setterman
8 Point

Loc: Knoxville, TN

I have hunted all over west TN, and the rest of the SE, and rarely, maybe once a season have a morning where the birds are quiet on the limb unless the weather is total crap.

I have an entirely different style of hunting than 90% of the turkey hunters, and it is one that is based much more on patience than on the immediacy of making one gobble right now.

I have found over 20+ years and almost 200 dead longbeards, that a bird which gobbles on his own is far more likely to die than one that has to be shocked or beaten into sounding off.

I spend a lot of my mornings sitting in an area where I know birds should be close, and just listening. Not blind calling, and not using locator calls. It is absolutely stunning the numbers of birds that free gobble sporadically which most hunters never hear because they are constantly on the move, rustling in their vest for a call, or calling. I know because for a long time I was no different than most turkey hunters and used the same locating tactics that most still use.

A bird that free gobbles on his own after fly down is far easier to kill than a bird which has to be beaten into gobbling with locator calls. As many times the one that has to be helped has hens or is subordinate. While the free gobbler is generally alone and has gone to an area they feel comfortable to strut and seek out company.

If I get wild and do decide to try and strike a bird I use turkey calls. If you wisely use the terrain, know how the birds you hunt use the property, and don't over do it, than getting picked off is unlikely.

To each their own when it comes to how you enjoy your time in the woods. I'm just passing along what works for me each season, and has worked exceptionally well in bagging a bunch of longbeards over the years.

#3152467 - 02/05/13 08:14 AM Re: 1 Tip you could offer [Re: Setterman]
nate17
8 Point

Loc: Missouri

I have hunted all over west TN, and the rest of the SE, and rarely, maybe once a season have a morning where the birds are quiet on the limb unless the weather is total crap.

I have an entirely different style of hunting than 90% of the turkey hunters, and it is one that is based much more on patience than on the immediacy of making one gobble right now.

I have found over 20+ years and almost 200 dead longbeards, that a bird which gobbles on his own is far more likely to die than one that has to be shocked or beaten into sounding off.

I spend a lot of my mornings sitting in an area where I know birds should be close, and just listening. Not blind calling, and not using locator calls. It is absolutely stunning the numbers of birds that free gobble sporadically which most hunters never hear because they are constantly on the move, rustling in their vest for a call, or calling. I know because for a long time I was no different than most turkey hunters and used the same locating tactics that most still use.

A bird that free gobbles on his own after fly down is far easier to kill than a bird which has to be beaten into gobbling with locator calls. As many times the one that has to be helped has hens or is subordinate. While the free gobbler is generally alone and has gone to an area they feel comfortable to strut and seek out company.

If I get wild and do decide to try and strike a bird I use turkey calls. If you wisely use the terrain, know how the birds you hunt use the property, and don't over do it, than getting picked off is unlikely.

To each their own when it comes to how you enjoy your time in the woods. I'm just passing along what works for me each season, and has worked exceptionally well in bagging a bunch of longbeards over the years.

pretty dang solid advice right here

#3152472 - 02/05/13 08:17 AM Re: 1 Tip you could offer [Re: Setterman]
Roost 1
10 Point

Loc: KY

content Online
People could learn a lot about how to kill turkeys by listening to ol Setterman.... Most hunters call way too much and too often just because it strokes their own ego. I understand we, as hunters, like to make them gobble, but lots of times that is not best especially on highly pressured birds. The more he gobbles the more likely he will gobble up a hen or another hunter... Less is usually best in my book. Every year I hear hunters blowing locator calls at birds that are already gobbling on their own..They may gobble at it but don't be surprised when either fly down the other way or shut up when they hit the ground. Remember every time he stops to gobble and strut it is gonna take that much longer to kill him and the longer it takes the more likely for something to go wrong.

Z7extreme
Savage 10ML 2
Remington 700P

#3152589 - 02/05/13 09:34 AM Re: 1 Tip you could offer [Re: Roost 1]
woodsman87
8 Point

Loc: south TN

Originally Posted By: Roost 1
People could learn a lot about how to kill turkeys by listening to ol Setterman.... Most hunters call way too much and too often just because it strokes their own ego. I understand we, as hunters, like to make them gobble, but lots of times that is not best especially on highly pressured birds. The more he gobbles the more likely he will gobble up a hen or another hunter... Less is usually best in my book. Every year I hear hunters blowing locator calls at birds that are already gobbling on their own..They may gobble at it but don't be surprised when either fly down the other way or shut up when they hit the ground. Remember every time he stops to gobble and strut it is gonna take that much longer to kill him and the longer it takes the more likely for something to go wrong.

I agree with this. I like to make them gobble too, but if you already know where he is there is no need to keep making him gobble just to hear him. That causes way too many problems. Turkeys get call shy quick, and if you continously call, no matter what call or animal you are trying to mimic if you spook him he becomes a lot smarter.
I have seen turkeys the last week or so of the season strutting in a field, and when I called, it literally sprinted in the oppisite direction.
Being able to call good and do the fancy cackles, fly down caclks, cutts, or whatever is so overated.

#3152594 - 02/05/13 09:40 AM Re: 1 Tip you could offer [Re: woodsman87]
woodsman87
8 Point

Loc: south TN

It is amazing to me how much more successful I became when I finally got it through my hard skull to quit cackling and cutting. And to especially not call hard while he is in the tree, mainly the last two-three weeks of the season. Soft mating yelps, clucks, and purrs when you get close to an ole gobbler is what works.
Although I am versatile with my calls, I feel like any slate/glass is the best because I feel like these are the less used by other hunters.

Page 4 of 7 « First<23456>Last »

Moderator:  RUGER, Bobby G, Unicam, Cuttin Caller, CBU93, stretch, TurkeyBurd, Kimber45, Mrs.Unicam, Crappie Luck, Grizzly Johnson 
Hop to:
Top Posters
RUGER
Deer Assassin
BSK
Crappie Luck
spitndrum
Newest Members
Prowler, dungonehunting, uofmrebel, sll, 1shot 1kill
13219 Registered Users
Who's Online
108 registered (in the dog house!, TNRifleman, Drop 4/5, FOX FIRE, Nealmeally, Roost 1, 12 invisible) and 130 anonymous users online.
Forum Stats
13219 Members
42 Forums
91871 Topics
1073621 Posts

Max Online: 788 @ 11/11/13 08:06 PM
Moon Phase
CURRENT MOON
September
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Forum Donations
The TnDeer.Com Deer Talk Forum is for Tennessee Deer Hunters by Tennessee Deer Hunters. If you enjoy using our Talk Forum and would like to contribute to help in it's up-keep. Just submit your contribution by clicking on the DONATE button below and paying with PayPal or a major credit card. Any amount is much appreciated. Thanks for your support!

TN Burn Safe

Generated in 0.087 seconds in which 0.001 seconds were spent on a total of 15 queries. Zlib compression enabled.