Topic Options
#3150648 - 02/03/13 08:44 PM Re: Any Preppers? [Re: dr]
Chaneylake
Brownsville Mafia
16 Point

Loc: on the wings of a snow white d...

Originally Posted By: dr
 Originally Posted By: in the dog house!
Just remember, if the SHTF you can't carry much food with you, and more than likely you will have to leave your home. How much food can you carry around the block..... much less miles....

I live on a farm in the country, raise my own beef, grow my own vegetables, and have a stocked fish pond. There's thousands of acres of hunting land across the road. I plan on having at least a years supply of food. I'll make my stand here. But, as a last resort, I could load my 4wd truck, and 16 ft. stock trailer full of supplies, and hit the road.

yep and just one well positioned rifle will wipe you out with one shot

Living somewhere between this world and the other, Legends of the Fall

#3151438 - 02/04/13 02:11 PM Re: Any Preppers? [Re: Chaneylake]
JeepKuntry
16 Point

Loc: Clinton, TN

Each prepper has a different outlook. Me personally, I don't believe in stockpiling food as much. My goal is a couple months supply, couple weeks mre's packed if we must leave. I absolutely believe in hoarding ammo. My goal is 2000 rounds 22lr, 500 rounds for both rifles, and 1500 rounds for my shotgun. My handgun 1000 rounds. I'm actually looking to sell my Mustang to up my gun/ammo situation. I honestly see an economic collapse happening, further complicated by a direct attack. I think China is waiting on us to fall and then there coming to invade.

#3151443 - 02/04/13 02:16 PM Re: Any Preppers? [Re: Pic IN the Casa]
pass-thru
10 Point

Loc: va beach

Originally Posted By: Pic IN the Casa
'Prepper' is a word that the media has altered to mean someone that is a crazy, anti-government, gun toting, selfish person.

If you don't take their borg downloads and succumb to their ways they put a label on you.

I never heard that from the media. But I've been reading on a prepper website on and off for about 5 years.....and I reached that conclusion all on my own. Some crazy crazy paranoid mofos. Pretty funny story about a deal I did on there selling some stuff. Guy tried to "hide" his identity, that didn't work out too well for him...lol.

#3151451 - 02/04/13 02:20 PM Re: Any Preppers? [Re: pass-thru]
cecil30-30
16 Point

Loc: Morgan Co

Why would anyone brag about being a prepper on the internet or on tv?? STUPID if you ask me,seems like your just asking for trouble when and if the SHTF...

Ban Liberals!!! Save America!!!!

#3151471 - 02/04/13 02:35 PM Re: Any Preppers? [Re: FLTENNHUNTER1]
farmin68
16 Point

Loc: In a tree clinging to my guns ...

Originally Posted By: FLTENNHUNTER1
Rule number 1:

Never become a refugee.

I thought Rule #1 was cardio...

#3151499 - 02/04/13 03:02 PM Re: Any Preppers? [Re: beachguy]
Crosshairy
10 Point

Loc: Bartlett, TN

The biggest weakness in a disaster scenario of any kind (assuming you aren't at ground zero and already blown up or whatever) seems to be proximity to other people.

It doesn't matter how well prepared you are, if you live in a congested urban or suburban area with lots of other ill-prepared people, then you will be unable to protect yourself indefinitely.

Those that live in remote areas don't have to worry about 400 people roaming the streets in gangs for food or valuables. Their chances of survival are already higher by default.

My 1st goal in the event of a severe earthquake or something would be to gather up the essentials that can quickly be loaded up, and then get out of town. That's because I realize that I am at my most vulnerable when I'm boxed within a big mess around Memphis.

The most ideal plan would involve a situation like DR.

If I were in his shoes, I'd pull a like-minded family or two in the house with me that were similarly prepared. The extra help would go a long way towards guaranteeing security, and that situation would be infinitely better than what some of us would find ourselves in.

I don't think that foreign invasion poses a big threat - our country is too large, has too much infrastructure, and has advanced communications to mobilize forces (military and civilian). Plus we have a giant ocean that folks have to cross to get here with any significant numbers. Who knows what would happened decades from now, but in the short term, my main concern is natural disasters and witnessing a short term collapse of civilization pushed by those who can't fend for themselves.

#3151530 - 02/04/13 03:37 PM Re: Any Preppers? [Re: Crosshairy]
kknights27
4 Point

Loc: Knoxville,TN

So, everyone that is stockpiling ammo, and food out the azz, plans on staying put. Because , U cant transport 1/4 the ammo some of u guys are saying you have or are obtainig. If you head out in a vehicle, if even possible, youd be a floating duck, easy ambush! So there could only be safe travel by night. I agree with those that are planning to join up with people, and basically make a post somewhere in the country. Remember the show on discovery maybe? I cant even remember the name of it, but they put a group of people that didnt know each other in a city that was devistated, and they had to survive, and they had looters and everything come at them. It was interesting. The only chance they had was to make a shelter, and gaurd it by shifts, gather and hunt at best oppertunities.

"Greatness is acheived in steps, small building blocks, little by little"........Ray Lewis

"Dyin aint much of a livin, boy!"...... Josey Wales!!

#3151566 - 02/04/13 04:14 PM Re: Any Preppers? [Re: Crosshairy]
Redfred16
8 Point

Loc: Hartland, WI

The idea of a lone prepper is just insane and I'm not tlaking about having suppiles to take care of yourself and family for a few days or a week. I'm talking TEOTWAWKI, to think a lone single family can self survive is insane.

If you truly believe that you need to be prepared for TEOTWAWKI, then you should have a small to moderate sized group of like minded people. The simple task of security is a 24/7/365 job, then add in farming/gardening, food preperation, cleaning chores, possible livestock. You need quite a few people to live together to accomplish all the tasks needed.

"Recon Ready"
Airborne and Air Assault Blood Wings Worn Here

#3151606 - 02/04/13 04:43 PM Re: Any Preppers? [Re: farmin68]
Dbllunger
12 Point

Loc: Middle Tennessee

Originally Posted By: farmin68
 Originally Posted By: FLTENNHUNTER1
Rule number 1:

Never become a refugee.

I thought Rule #1 was cardio...

I thought rule #1 was: Never talk about Fight Club

#3153030 - 02/05/13 04:37 PM Re: Any Preppers? [Re: Chaneylake]
dr
10 Point

Loc: USA

Originally Posted By: Chaneylake
 Originally Posted By: dr
 Originally Posted By: in the dog house!
Just remember, if the SHTF you can't carry much food with you, and more than likely you will have to leave your home. How much food can you carry around the block..... much less miles....

I live on a farm in the country, raise my own beef, grow my own vegetables, and have a stocked fish pond. There's thousands of acres of hunting land across the road. I plan on having at least a years supply of food. I'll make my stand here. But, as a last resort, I could load my 4wd truck, and 16 ft. stock trailer full of supplies, and hit the road.

yep and just one well positioned rifle will wipe you out with one shot

Not sure what you're point is??? If it does happen you have 2 choices, Fight to protect your family, or run out waving the white flag of surrender. I know what I would do.

Page 4 of 6 « First<23456>

Moderator:  RUGER, Unicam, gtk, Tennessee Todd, Lakeland Charlie, Cuttin Caller, CBU93, stretch, TurkeyBurd, MAN, Bobby G, Kimber45, Crappie Luck 
Hop to:
Top Posters
RUGER
Deer Assassin
BSK
Crappie Luck
spitndrum
Newest Members
Kyle Coulahan, Mathews_Killer, jrbookingtn, pb10point, TEXAS
13535 Registered Users
Who's Online
16 registered (Bowdacious, Tn Joe, ROUGH COUNTRY HUNTER, MoonBuzzard, bbuck14, Dale3) and 63 anonymous users online.
Forum Stats
13535 Members
42 Forums
99161 Topics
1166136 Posts

Max Online: 788 @ 11/11/13 08:06 PM
Moon Phase
CURRENT MOON
November
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
2 3 4 5 6 7 8
9 10 11 12 13 14 15
16 17 18 19 20 21 22
23 24 25 26 27 28 29
Forum Donations
The TnDeer.Com Deer Talk Forum is for Tennessee Deer Hunters by Tennessee Deer Hunters. If you enjoy using our Talk Forum and would like to contribute to help in it's up-keep. Just submit your contribution by clicking on the DONATE button below and paying with PayPal or a major credit card. Any amount is much appreciated. Thanks for your support!

TN Burn Safe

Generated in 0.044 seconds in which 0.001 seconds were spent on a total of 15 queries. Zlib compression enabled.