Tndeer Logo

Page 1 of 2 12>
Topic Options
#3150905 - 02/03/13 11:42 PM where to put Trophy Rock, and can't find the bucks
catman529
spiderboy
16 Point

Loc: Franklin TN

well I got 2 TRs from the 'vous. One to save for later and one to use now.

I will most likely find a rock or stump to put on the ground and put the TR on top of that, because the river bottom area will get swampy in places after a heavy rain, and it dissolved a brand new deer cane salt block. I know it's ok for it to seep into the ground, but when the whole area is a swamp the salt can dilute...

Anyway back on topic, I have not been able to get trail cam pics of a buck since the end of deer season. Occasional does, and coons every single night. Lately it just got to only coon pics, and a few pics of a yote. I finally moved the camera off the corn pile, and put it on some random deer trail. I haven't checked it yet. With a spider web of deer trails, many of which are used by mainly does, I can't decide where to put the TR. Scouting involves a lot of crashing through tall briars. Lots of good bedding cover and dense briar patches, as well as clearcut-type dense sapling growth, a few privet bushes, red cedars, etc.

I figure the dense cow trail type trails and spider webs are mainly used by does, as I have observed during evening hunts during deer season. Is there a good way to tell where the bucks are hanging out based on trails and beds? Doe beds seem to be in clusters. Do bucks usually bed alone? If I find a big, single bed inside a "pocket" of dead briars and bushes, is that more likely a buck?

Dang sorry for rambling. If you were to put a TR in the dense habitat I have described, what types of deer sign would you look for to get good deer pics? Will the bucks find the TR and use it pretty much anywhere in the thicket, or do I need to find where the bucks are hanging out? too many deer trails and bedding areas to decide where to put the TR. Also would use it as a spot to bow hunt during bow season. There are rubs basically everywhere throughout the whole thicket, but rubs happen mainly when the bucks are cruising, right? I can't find where the bucks have been since deer season. Help me out if my post makes any sense... where would you look to put a TR and a trail camera to get a good idea of your deer herd? Thanks

#3151017 - 02/04/13 07:31 AM Re: where to put Trophy Rock, and can't find the bucks [Re: catman529]
Hollar Hunter
8 Point

Loc: TN

I would place it the furthest back you can get from people. Find a couple or 3 good trails intersecting and cut you out a small clearing if you can't find one. Make sure it's on higher ground if its swampy at all the rock will just dissolve. The deer are not really drawn to the TR this time of year that much but in just a couple months they'll be all over it. As far as where are the bucks at now, you might have ran them out of there if you've been back in there nearly every week since sept. They need to not feel so pressured to stay. Doing this now is just basically preparing for next season. You should find your "spot" now clear it out a bit so you can have a good camera setup come July when their showing some good bone again and you'll already have them coming all summer. As long as you stay out I bet you'll get some great buck pics this summer.

Edited by Hollar Hunter (02/04/13 07:36 AM)

Spend your time where you get the most return on it...

#3151020 - 02/04/13 07:39 AM Re: where to put Trophy Rock, and can't find the bucks [Re: catman529]
diamond hunter
6 Point

Loc: Goodlettsville Tennessee USA

Id put the rock at an easy access point for you to replace it without distubing the area that much.Put it at the end of a trail where you can hunt well and see far.Find your ideal stand site and put the trophy rock at an easy place to replace it and not mess up your spot.

#3151056 - 02/04/13 08:11 AM Re: where to put Trophy Rock, and can't find the bucks [Re: diamond hunter]
Mr.Bro
10 Point

Loc: Hendersonville Tn.

If your reasoning for putting out a TR is to get pics of your deer.Then i would look for the best place to put my camera.Easy access so you dont disturb your hunting ground.Where you dont have to walk close to your rock.Then throw out the rock.Keep in mind the vegetation close to your cam.You dont want 800 pics of a moving branch.
I dont believe i would put one in the real thick areas of where i hunt.You may just run em out.
If your going to hunt over it make sure your not to close.Hard to kill that buck when 4-5 does to close to you.I usually hunt about 150 yards from my rocks.

#3151070 - 02/04/13 08:23 AM Re: where to put Trophy Rock, and can't find the bucks [Re: Mr.Bro]
BSK
Jerkasourous of the non-typical kind
Non-Typical

Loc: Nashville, TN

catman529,

I don't know if this is helpful, but I use Trophy Rocks exclusively as camera locations. I put them along the most heavily used trials leading to main feeding areas (whether they are natural food sources or planted food plots/agriculture). I want the Rock about 50 yards from the food source and under a canopy.

"There is no reasoning someone out of a position he has not reasoned himself into." --Clive James

#3151074 - 02/04/13 08:26 AM Re: where to put Trophy Rock, and can't find the bucks [Re: BSK]
BSK
Non-Typical

And by the way, it's not out of the question that your area is just naturally a low buck use area in winter. Doe use of an area is usually fairly consistent throughout the year, but bucks can display amazingly different land-usage during the different seasons of the year. In essence, some areas may be virtually devoid of bucks at one time of year but absolutely loaded with bucks at another time of year.

"There is no reasoning someone out of a position he has not reasoned himself into." --Clive James

#3151097 - 02/04/13 08:58 AM Re: where to put Trophy Rock, and can't find the bucks [Re: BSK]
ImThere
10 Point

Loc: Lewisburg, Tn

Do most of you put out tr's now or wait til june or july? Most of the guys around here seem to put them out later

#3151147 - 02/04/13 09:41 AM Re: where to put Trophy Rock, and can't find the bucks [Re: ImThere]
BSK
Non-Typical

Originally Posted By: ImThere
Do most of you put out tr's now or wait til june or july? Most of the guys around here seem to put them out later

Because my local deer only use salt licks heavily from April through September, I wait to put mine out until March. I don't want the winter rains washing them away too early.

#3151167 - 02/04/13 09:56 AM Re: where to put Trophy Rock, and can't find the bucks [Re: ImThere]
Hollar Hunter
8 Point

I leave them out year round but I don't freshen or replace my TR till usually march just because in my experience the cold and moisture dissolve the rock extremely fast. I know that's what you want as the deer eat the dirt but to fast and it just washes away. I generally dig or find a hole to put the rock in or an old stump they can dig out to try an contain the TR

Edited by Hollar Hunter (02/04/13 10:03 AM)

Spend your time where you get the most return on it...

#3151389 - 02/04/13 01:21 PM Re: where to put Trophy Rock, and can't find the bucks [Re: Hollar Hunter]
Winchester
Non-Typical

Food and cover in close relation is key this time of year!
Page 1 of 2 12>

Moderator:  RUGER, Tennessee Todd, Unicam, Cuttin Caller, CBU93, stretch, Bobby G, TurkeyBurd, Kimber45, Mrs.Unicam, Crappie Luck, gtk 
Hop to:
Top Posters
RUGER
Deer Assassin
BSK
Crappie Luck
spitndrum
Newest Members
yarddawg54, schiesser, bigdoc, Bggamehunter, willy2763
13605 Registered Users
Who's Online
7 registered (jmlost, FATE, slagtown_dfa, SX3Mike, REN, Doc Stone) and 90 anonymous users online.
Forum Stats
13605 Members
43 Forums
100233 Topics
1180122 Posts

Max Online: 788 @ 11/11/13 08:06 PM
Moon Phase
CURRENT MOON
December
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30 31
Forum Donations
The TnDeer.Com Deer Talk Forum is for Tennessee Deer Hunters by Tennessee Deer Hunters. If you enjoy using our Talk Forum and would like to contribute to help in it's up-keep. Just submit your contribution by clicking on the DONATE button below and paying with PayPal or a major credit card. Any amount is much appreciated. Thanks for your support!

TN Burn Safe

Generated in 0.005 seconds in which 0.001 seconds were spent on a total of 14 queries. Zlib compression enabled.