Tndeer Logo

Page 2 of 3 <123>
Topic Options
#3149548 - 02/02/13 08:01 PM Re: The Individal Bird That Stands Out In Memory [Re: catman529]
timberjack86
14 Point

Loc: Grundy county

The first one I killed. I hunted him hard every morning and watched him get with his hens on a flat above me. I decided I would get to that flat around noon one day to try to call him there. Hey he gets lucky there every morning \:D I set up and started calling and he starts gobbling up the mountain. Another tom gobbles once above me but a lot closer. I hear what I think is a deer running off the mountain. Its the old bird coming after me and the other gobbler. I see the other bird take off running for his life and here comes the old bird right to me. I shot him at 10 yards.

#3149965 - 02/03/13 11:02 AM Re: The Individal Bird That Stands Out In Memory [Re: timberjack86]
Mike Belt
TnDeer Old Timer
16 Point

Loc: Lakeland, Tn.

Another story comes to mind. I was at LBL one morning and had worked my way up a ridge. I was working birds as I was headed up the ridge but they had locked up in a strutting zone and wouldn't come any closer. They were on an oak flat that had a finger dropping off into a hollow that ran all the way back to the road. I got to one ridge away from the birds and they were gobbling like crazy but still wouldn't budge. I snuck down the side of my ridge and then up the side of the ridge they were on. When I got up top I belly crawled up to a log between me and them. I could see the tops of their fans just on the other side of the log as they strutted and gobbled non-stop. Time to make my move. I eased up over the log for a shot and just about the time I was squeezing the trigger BOOM! Someone had heard the birds I was working and had silently come up the hollow from the road. My bird was flopping down the side of the ridge and the others had flown the coop. I had done all the work and kept the birds busy allowing someone else to sneak in on them. That's the first and only time I've ever had someone shoot a bird out from under me. On public land I guess it happens.

#3149993 - 02/03/13 11:33 AM Re: The Individal Bird That Stands Out In Memory [Re: Mike Belt]
TeamMainStreet
10 Point

Loc: Union County,Tn

Too many to recall. One of the more memorable hunts from the last few years was when my buddy took one's head off at about 5 yds. Just too many memorable hunts to recall.

Dont tread on me

#3150103 - 02/03/13 02:00 PM Re: The Individal Bird That Stands Out In Memory [Re: TeamMainStreet]
nate17
8 Point

Loc: Missouri

One of my more memorable hunts occured at LBL.

I had put in my due diligence listening to multiple birds gobble on a ridge top atleast 3 different mornings before my hunt.

First morning of my hunt I made sure to be on my ridge about an hour before daylight, I planned to sit tight and just wait till a curious gobbler made his way down. As it began to turn daylight I heard turkeys gobbling everywhere... exept the ridge I was on. I heard 7 or 8 total birds from where I was at, but I just couldnt believe there were none after me putting my homework in and hearing them there multiple times.

I decided to move up the ridge about a hundred yards. I had made my way about 60 yards and a bird hammered on my ridge less than a hundred yards away. I sat down and called real sparingly not to spook the bird, only real quiet clucks and purrs and some leaf scratching. Not 10 minutes had gone by and more gobbles were converging on my ridge about 80 yards from my location. I dont know how many total it ended up being, but it was at least 5 gobblers total I could make out.

I knew the odds were in my favor of one breaking away from the group so I let out a few sweet yelps to let em know one more time I was there and hunkered down for the long haul. These birds eventually got so riled up they started getting attention from other hunters. The birds were gobbling every 15 seconds or so for better than an hour, as well as, fighting and spurring each other. During this time period I had a hunter show up in each hollow below each side of the ridge. One may have been the worst caller ive ever heard.. He would yelp 15-20 times consecutively, wait a minute and do it all over again. The birds shut up and he left. When they fired back up I could tell the other hunter was moving up the ridge due to his calling location changing, so I knew I had to get aggressive before he messed this up for me.

I started with some real aggressive cuts and yelps and after a few minutes i started to hear that familiar boom boom boom spit... 2 birds where easing in at 30 yds. Front one had about 12 inch beard but couldnt get a shot on him and took the second bird as they moved in at 15 yds. 10.75 inch beard, 1 2/8" spurs.

#3150107 - 02/03/13 02:04 PM Re: The Individal Bird That Stands Out In Memory [Re: Mike Belt]
Layne
4 Point

Loc: Eads TN

[quote=That's the first and only time I've ever had someone shoot a bird out from under me. On public land I guess it happens. [/quote]

Had it happen to me just last spring on private land. Heard a couple birds gobble late morning and had to decide if I was going after them or not. I had just broke my ribs and bruised my hip and new it was going to be a long hard hike to where they were.

Had to try it and finally made it even though my ribs were killing me, sat down and began to work the birds. Half hour later birds are just around the field island I was hunting at no more that 40 yards when "BOOM" I hear a shot. It takes me a minute or two to get to my feet as I'm groaning from the ribs, look into the field and a guy is standing with his boot on a bird looking up the hill at the road. When he see me he grabs the bird and runs across the property line into the woods. It was a long hike back to the truck after that.

#3150211 - 02/03/13 04:01 PM Re: The Individal Bird That Stands Out In Memory [Re: Layne]
timberjack86
14 Point

Loc: Grundy county

I got another...
I was hunting a bird on a hard hunted wma. I had struck up a conversation with him and its seemed the deal was almost done. He was coming and coming hard. Suddenly a truck pulls up and two guys get out and do some of the best goose yelps I have ever heard. Long story short the bird decided he had somewhere else he would rather be.
The following weekend I arrived before dawn cloes to were he was gobbling from. I never made a peep until well after flydown. I made a series of yelps and he gobbled about 80 yards away. The next time he gobbled I could see his head shake. He was ontop of me within 2 minutes. I made the shot on that awesome three year old that had seen it all. I sure felt like a turkey hunter that day.

#3150218 - 02/03/13 04:09 PM Re: The Individal Bird That Stands Out In Memory [Re: timberjack86]
Mike Belt
TnDeer Old Timer
16 Point

Loc: Lakeland, Tn.

My frst turkey hunt and kill was at LBL. I set up not far off the N/S Trail and had birds gobbling. I bet I had a dozen different birds gobbling 360 degrees around me. A couple would work in close and then drop back while a couple more from different directions would come in. This in and out and back and forth went on for an hour with me sitting there grinning like a possum. Finally one of them got a little too close and the rest is history. I was hooked after that.

#3150552 - 02/03/13 08:02 PM Re: The Individal Bird That Stands Out In Memory [Re: Mike Belt]
guthooked
4 Point

Loc: Gibbs

First bird I killed on my own: set up under the whole flock on accident. Sun came up and there were 60 birds within 100 yards. They all flow into the corner of the field in front of me. 15 strutters at least. There was no way to shoot and only hit one bird. I never touched the call; I was afraid to move. The flock started to leave and I watched them go thinking I would have no clean shot. Once the field emptied I was about to move when a bird stepped into my line of sight at 8 yards. He died quick. 24 lbs. 10.25 beard. Fastest kill I've ever had.

#3151370 - 02/04/13 12:55 PM Re: The Individal Bird That Stands Out In Memory [Re: Boll Weevil]
woodsman87
8 Point

Loc: south TN

thats so awesome.

Sometimes it just happens like that.

#3152137 - 02/04/13 09:30 PM Re: The Individal Bird That Stands Out In Memory [Re: woodsman87]
Layne
4 Point

Loc: Eads TN

yeah, those are cool hunts, especially when you have that many birds around you.
Page 2 of 3 <123>

Moderator:  RUGER, Bobby G, Unicam, Cuttin Caller, CBU93, stretch, TurkeyBurd, Kimber45, Mrs.Unicam, Crappie Luck, Grizzly Johnson, gtk 
Hop to:
Top Posters
RUGER
Deer Assassin
BSK
Crappie Luck
spitndrum
Newest Members
yarddawg54, schiesser, bigdoc, Bggamehunter, willy2763
13605 Registered Users
Who's Online
2 registered (JoshDosMil, MObowman) and 48 anonymous users online.
Forum Stats
13605 Members
43 Forums
100233 Topics
1180120 Posts

Max Online: 788 @ 11/11/13 08:06 PM
Moon Phase
CURRENT MOON
December
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30 31
Forum Donations
The TnDeer.Com Deer Talk Forum is for Tennessee Deer Hunters by Tennessee Deer Hunters. If you enjoy using our Talk Forum and would like to contribute to help in it's up-keep. Just submit your contribution by clicking on the DONATE button below and paying with PayPal or a major credit card. Any amount is much appreciated. Thanks for your support!

TN Burn Safe

Generated in 0.008 seconds in which 0.001 seconds were spent on a total of 15 queries. Zlib compression enabled.