Tndeer Logo

Page 8 of 10 « First<678910>
Topic Options
#3145859 - 01/30/13 03:41 PM Re: CRAZY DISCOVERY today... [Re: catman529]
Ashland Ford
Spike

Loc: Franklin, Tennessee

I was thinking it could be the water, as you said, I always look for ducks. Have not seen any in a while there. Something is up though. I don't think they died by natural causes.
#3146190 - 01/30/13 07:51 PM Re: CRAZY DISCOVERY today... [Re: Ashland Ford]
catman529
spiderboy
16 Point

Loc: Franklin TN

Originally Posted By: Ashland Ford
I was thinking it could be the water, as you said, I always look for ducks. Have not seen any in a while there. Something is up though. I don't think they died by natural causes.

the water was full of big tadpoles. If there is poison in the water then it would have to affect deer but not frogs. If there is any substance that could do that. I doubt the ponds are poisoned.

#3146318 - 01/30/13 09:08 PM Re: CRAZY DISCOVERY today... [Re: Tar12]
Boone 58
16 Point

Loc: Food Plot

Originally Posted By: Tar12
That picture has EHD written all over it. It is all to common of a sight here in West Central Indiana in recent years. EHD is transmitted from the midge fly. Areas with high deer densities get hit the hardest.Typically the worst outbreaks occur after flooding as the Midge fly lays it larvae in the mud flats that the receding waters leave behind. This will also occur in severe drought conditions as the water evaporates and leaves mud flats behind.What have your weather conditions been in recent weeks? While scouting this past summer my son and I found a total of 12 dead deer at various ponds on this particular farm. Several weeks back I watched a show that Micheal Wadell was hosting and it was about the massive EHD kill on the Milk River in Montanna.It was very sad to say the least. They found deer after after deer lying dead upon the banks and in the water. While filming a buck came to the river and waded in and started swimming in circles until he became to exhausted to carry on and drowned. The worst about this disease is that there is nothing they can do about it.

But isnt it late in the season to be dying from EHD....i thought that was over in sept and or oct......have not heard of them dying that late in the season from it????

#3148037 - 02/01/13 09:45 AM Re: CRAZY DISCOVERY today... [Re: catman529]
horn collector
Button

Loc: TN

Any word on the investigation?
#3148064 - 02/01/13 10:03 AM Re: CRAZY DISCOVERY today... [Re: catman529]
WestTn Huntin'man
16 Point

Loc: Benton Co.

Originally Posted By: catman529

the water was full of big tadpoles. If there is poison in the water then it would have to affect deer but not frogs. If there is any substance that could do that. I doubt the ponds are poisoned.

Frogs are one of the 1st species to show signs from polluted water.
Be careful poking around there you don't fall in yourself Catman. Seems drowning is the most likely cause. Someone should notify county officials of the danger.
Proverbs 3:27 Whenever you possibly can, do good to those who need it

#3148112 - 02/01/13 10:42 AM Re: CRAZY DISCOVERY today... [Re: WestTn Huntin'man]
catman529
spiderboy
16 Point

Originally Posted By: WestTn Huntin'man

Frogs are one of the 1st species to show signs from polluted water.
Be careful poking around there you don't fall in yourself Catman. Seems drowning is the most likely cause. Someone should notify county officials of the danger.
I will definitely be careful in case the pond liner is the cause... if it's safe, then I may have me a new frog gigging spot for the summer \:D

#3148145 - 02/01/13 11:11 AM Re: CRAZY DISCOVERY today... [Re: catman529]
Winchester
Non-Typical

Loc: TN

Im betting some type poison somewhere as well, may not be the pond water, may just be where they ended up dieing!
#3148154 - 02/01/13 11:22 AM Re: CRAZY DISCOVERY today... [Re: Winchester]
catman529
spiderboy
16 Point

Originally Posted By: Winchester
Im betting some type poison somewhere as well, may not be the pond water, may just be where they ended up dieing!
I was thinking that too. Maybe some kind of poison that caused them to seek water

#3148216 - 02/01/13 12:24 PM Re: CRAZY DISCOVERY today... [Re: Barrett]
catman529
spiderboy
16 Point

Hey y'all I got an update -

I am just leaving the ponds now. I found 2 of the other deer mentioned, one out of the water was just a skeleton (may have been dragged out)

But, I think I found the cause... I took a sapling and poked around in the water. A few feet from shore, the bottom drops off very steeply. The ponds are lined in the black rubber. I think they are too steep for the deer to escape. I was standing in 6 inches of water with boots because the recent storms raised the water a bit. Within arms reach with the stick I could feel the bottom drop at a very steep angle down to 2 or 3 ft deep within 2 or 3 ft horizontally. I don't know how deep the ponds are but it wouldn't matter if the deer could never climb back out.

#3148227 - 02/01/13 12:38 PM Re: CRAZY DISCOVERY today... [Re: catman529]
Coach
16 Point

Loc: Pall Mall, TN and Dexter, MI

Hey y'all I got an update -

I am just leaving the ponds now. I found 2 of the other deer mentioned, one out of the water was just a skeleton (may have been dragged out)

But, I think I found the cause... I took a sapling and poked around in the water. A few feet from shore, the bottom drops off very steeply. The ponds are lined in the black rubber. I think they are too steep for the deer to escape. I was standing in 6 inches of water with boots because the recent storms raised the water a bit. Within arms reach with the stick I could feel the bottom drop at a very steep angle down to 2 or 3 ft deep within 2 or 3 ft horizontally. I don't know how deep the ponds are but it wouldn't matter if the deer could never climb back out.

I didn't read all of the posts but your next stop maybe should be TWRA so they can get that taken care of...dang kid may get in that or something

Dean Business Supply, Llc

http://www.adam4d.com

Page 8 of 10 « First<678910>

Moderator:  RUGER, Unicam, gtk, Tennessee Todd, Lakeland Charlie, Cuttin Caller, CBU93, stretch, TurkeyBurd, MAN, Bobby G, Kimber45, Crappie Luck 
Hop to:
Top Posters
RUGER
Deer Assassin
BSK
Crappie Luck
spitndrum
Newest Members
tnduckhunter, draw2drop, Oh Deer, Deer slayer85, Deadeye14
13111 Registered Users
Who's Online
5 registered (Poleaxe, beachguy, In_my_sights, usanglure, m_allison71) and 61 anonymous users online.
Forum Stats
13111 Members
42 Forums
89229 Topics
1043542 Posts

Max Online: 788 @ 11/11/13 08:06 PM
Moon Phase
CURRENT MOON
July
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5
6 7 8 9 10 11 12
13 14 15 16 17 18 19
20 21 22 23 24 25 26
27 28 29 30 31
Forum Donations
The TnDeer.Com Deer Talk Forum is for Tennessee Deer Hunters by Tennessee Deer Hunters. If you enjoy using our Talk Forum and would like to contribute to help in it's up-keep. Just submit your contribution by clicking on the DONATE button below and paying with PayPal or a major credit card. Any amount is much appreciated. Thanks for your support!

TN Burn Safe

Generated in 0.23 seconds in which 0.001 seconds were spent on a total of 15 queries. Zlib compression enabled.