Tndeer Logo

Page 1 of 1 1
Topic Options
#3142478 - 01/28/13 01:15 PM Shot the Encore Smokeless Conversion............
TN Larry
10 Point

Loc: Baxter, Tennessee

I bought Howa's Encore smokeless conversion and put it on my Pro Hunter frame. I paired it with a 3x9x40 Redfield Revolution Scope.

I finally got around to getting the scope mounted on it and have took the opportunity to shoot it the last two weekends. Man, I love not having to clean the thing. \:\)

I shot last weekend at 50 yards to get my scope in the ballpark. I shot 200 gr XTP, light blue harvester, and 56 gr H4198. I basically had it lined up after about 4 shots.

This weekend, I was ready to tinker a little and back out to 100 yds. I got it shooting good but a little high with the XTPs and 60 grains of H4198. It kicks like a mule with the 60 grains.

I then shot a group with the SST and Barnes 195 with 60 grains to see what I wanted to shoot for hunting purposes. It is 4" high at 100 with the SST and 2" high at 100 with the Barnes. Both group very well even though I didn't measure either one of them (they are both less than an inch). I now have to decide which bullet that I want to hunt with before making a minor scope adjustment down because it will shoot either one.

I think that I will stick with the 60 grains. This shouldn't be pushing it too much, and it shoots good with that amount. I also don't know if my shoulder or nose could stand a bigger dose. Even though this scope has a long eye relief, I came very close to having "scope eye" as the scope barely kissed my nose on one shot. I don't have a chrono but from looking at charts, I am assuming that I should be pushing close to 2600 fps.

I am glad that I took the smokeless route so far. The funny part is that it looks like a "toy" with the 24" barrel. That is until you shoot it.

Any opinions either way on the SST vs the Barnes??? I have read good on both, and it seems to me to just pick one and go with it.

#3142484 - 01/28/13 01:18 PM Re: Shot the Encore Smokeless Conversion............ [Re: TN Larry]
TN Larry
10 Point

I posted basically the same post on Doug's to see if they have any opinions on SST vs the Barnes as well.

#3142626 - 01/28/13 03:16 PM Re: Shot the Encore Smokeless Conversion............ [Re: TN Larry]
Rubberduck270
10 Point

Loc: Lawrence Co.

Originally Posted By: TN Larry
I posted basically the same post on Doug's to see if they have any opinions on SST vs the Barnes as well.

Just for giggles I'll post my EXACT same reply on here too. \:D

If you think a 24" looks like a toy, try a H&R Handi Rifle with a 22" barrel. Makes you wanna say "Awww, How Cute"

I killed 2 deer with 200 gr. SST's last year, both were high shoulder shots and both were pass throughs (one at 135 yrds and the other at 22 yrds). For the price difference, I'll stick with the SST's. However, if I were hunting deer that had considerable size to them (not middle TN deer) I think I'd go with the Barnes to make sure the bullet hung together.

I do plan on knurling a few of the SSTs in the off season and try to tighten the groups up as much as possible. Just something to pass the time till November gets here again...

#3142723 - 01/28/13 04:31 PM Re: Shot the Encore Smokeless Conversion............ [Re: Rubberduck270]
TN Larry
10 Point

Originally Posted By: Rubberduck270
[quote=TN Larry]I posted basically the same post on Doug's to see if they have any opinions on SST vs the Barnes as well.

If you think a 24" looks like a toy, try a H&R Handi Rifle with a 22" barrel. Makes you wanna say "Awww, How Cute"

quote]

That is true. \:\)

How does yours kick with the 62 grains of powder? I don't know what the weight difference is between yours and mine but yours does have a shorter barrel. I am not afraid of it, but it sure has a kick to it. It kicks much harder than it did with the Pro Hunter .50 cal barrel and 150 grains of black powder.

I used your load as a benchmark to jump from 56 to 60. I thought that your barrel was 26" so decided to stop at 60. Now, it makes me want to tinker a little more to 61 or 62 grains. I am happy at 60 grains though.

I may see if I can shoot it at 150 yards with both bullets to see what they do in terms of drop and grouping. 150 is about the absolute max that I would ever shoot at one in my hunting situations.

#3143181 - 01/28/13 09:57 PM Re: Shot the Encore Smokeless Conversion............ [Re: TN Larry]
Rubberduck270
10 Point

Loc: Lawrence Co.

My barrel is 24" since its a stainless version. The thumbhole stock also helps but she still isnt a joy to shoot lol.

If 150 is as far as you'll ever shoot Id stick with 60 grains. My max shot is around 225 so I needed all the velocity I could get.

Ive got a pretty humorous video on my phone of a co-worker shooting mine for the first time. I told him it packed a punch but he didnt belive me. Now he does :). Im helping him build one off a H&R 45-70 with a 22" barrel. Its tiny and hes already talking about staying around 58-60 grs.

#3148033 - 02/01/13 09:42 AM Re: Shot the Encore Smokeless Conversion............ [Re: Rubberduck270]
TN Larry
10 Point

Originally Posted By: Rubberduck270
My barrel is 24" since its a stainless version. The thumbhole stock also helps but she still isnt a joy to shoot lol.

If 150 is as far as you'll ever shoot Id stick with 60 grains. My max shot is around 225 so I needed all the velocity I could get.

Ive got a pretty humorous video on my phone of a co-worker shooting mine for the first time. I told him it packed a punch but he didnt belive me. Now he does :). Im helping him build one off a H&R 45-70 with a 22" barrel. Its tiny and hes already talking about staying around 58-60 grs.

I will probably stick with the 60 grains. I am still undecided on the bullet but leaning towards the Barnes at least for now. I want to do a little more shooting before I decide. I have a little while to decide but know after shooting the past two weekends that I am good to go either way. I knew it would shoot based on Howa's results but didn't want to wait til the last minute.

I can believe the video about your buddy shooting. Mine doesn't really hurt my shoulder but has a horrible "jump". If you don't watch it, it will jump out of your hands or let the scope come back and get you.

Overall, I am super impressed right now and really like that I was able to stick with the Encore frame.

Page 1 of 1 1

Moderator:  RUGER, Tennessee Todd, Bobby G, Unicam, CBU93, stretch, Kimber45, Mrs.Unicam, Crappie Luck, gtk 
Hop to:
Top Posters
RUGER
Deer Assassin
BSK
Crappie Luck
spitndrum
Newest Members
yarddawg54, schiesser, bigdoc, Bggamehunter, willy2763
13605 Registered Users
Who's Online
5 registered (ropintime, RAFI, Sgoodman, EJ1, TX300mag) and 72 anonymous users online.
Forum Stats
13605 Members
43 Forums
100233 Topics
1180122 Posts

Max Online: 788 @ 11/11/13 08:06 PM
Moon Phase
CURRENT MOON
December
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30 31
Forum Donations
The TnDeer.Com Deer Talk Forum is for Tennessee Deer Hunters by Tennessee Deer Hunters. If you enjoy using our Talk Forum and would like to contribute to help in it's up-keep. Just submit your contribution by clicking on the DONATE button below and paying with PayPal or a major credit card. Any amount is much appreciated. Thanks for your support!

TN Burn Safe

Generated in 0.006 seconds in which 0.001 seconds were spent on a total of 14 queries. Zlib compression enabled.