Tndeer Logo

Page all of 3 123>
Topic Options
#3147767 - 02/01/13 05:54 AM Fish of a thousand casts
RUGER Administrator
Mouse Killa
Non-Typical

Loc: TN

My buddy Newsome and I were trout fishing at Martin the other day and I said if they were all like this trout should be the one called this.

I couldn't remember which fish I heard called this one time so we checked it on the new snazzy smart phone and came up with muskie.

I kept thinking and finally it hit me, I heard bonefish called that.

So which deserves it more?

\:D

#3147785 - 02/01/13 06:14 AM Re: Fish of a thousand casts [Re: RUGER]
shorefisherman
6 Point

Loc: West SSiiide Putnam Co.

id say muskies, but in a certain season and conditions you can cut it to 5,000 casts \:D

#3148046 - 02/01/13 09:50 AM Re: Fish of a thousand casts [Re: shorefisherman]
striperhunter90
4 Point

Loc: mcminnville tn

down here in mcminnville musky is a fish of a 500 cast

If fishing is interfering with your business, give up your business

#3148125 - 02/01/13 10:55 AM Re: Fish of a thousand casts [Re: striperhunter90]
catman529
spiderboy
16 Point

Loc: Franklin TN

confused Online
buffalo are fish of 2,000 casts, try catching one of those

#3149017 - 02/02/13 09:22 AM Re: Fish of a thousand casts [Re: striperhunter90]
rsimms
10 Point

Loc: Chattanooga, TN

Yea, that phrase was intended for muskies (Or "A fish of ten thousand casts). But as striperhunter90 said, in Collins River (with the right guide) it doesn't take that many.

http://www.ScenicCityFishing.com

#3149043 - 02/02/13 09:49 AM Re: Fish of a thousand casts [Re: rsimms]
striperhunter90
4 Point

rsimms thats my fishing buddy dwayne! we fish together all the time

Edited by striperhunter90 (02/02/13 09:49 AM)

#3149513 - 02/02/13 07:37 PM Re: Fish of a thousand casts [Re: striperhunter90]
moondawg
16 Point

Loc: Millington, TN

I've caught trout on the first cast before.

#3149555 - 02/02/13 08:08 PM Re: Fish of a thousand casts [Re: moondawg]
gil1
12 Point

Loc: Nashville, TN

Muskies, but buffalo are pretty indifferent to baits, too.

Dr. Saxton Pope

#3149677 - 02/02/13 10:00 PM Re: Fish of a thousand casts [Re: gil1]
Outdoor life
6 Point

Loc: Jackson Co. TN

Going by the old saying, it would be muskie...but many fish could be called that pending on where you live I guess. Like I've only caught 1 mooneye, 1 longnose gar,and 1 muskie in my life....never caught a sturgeon or paddlefish though.
Once I even caught a mudpuppy salamander haha

"I don't know the key to success, but the key to failure is trying to please everybody"

#3149731 - 02/02/13 11:35 PM Re: Fish of a thousand casts [Re: Outdoor life]
catman529
spiderboy
16 Point

Loc: Franklin TN

confused Online
 Originally Posted By: Outdoor life
Going by the old saying, it would be muskie...but many fish could be called that pending on where you live I guess. Like I've only caught 1 mooneye, 1 longnose gar,and 1 muskie in my life....never caught a sturgeon or paddlefish though.
gar can be tough to hook but I have caught quite a few. I would love to catch a muskie some day. Try catching a buffalo sometime though. 99% of the time they won't bite, I have even bounced a fly off their nose with no response. But sometimes one will just eat it. For all that effort they don't fight too hard either. Just something to catch to say you did... now a muskie I would love to feel the wrath of one of those on the end of my line.

#3149739 - 02/02/13 11:58 PM Re: Fish of a thousand casts [Re: catman529]
Outdoor life
6 Point

Originally Posted By: catman529
gar can be tough to hook but I have caught quite a few. I would love to catch a muskie some day. Try catching a buffalo sometime though. 99% of the time they won't bite, I have even bounced a fly off their nose with no response. But sometimes one will just eat it. For all that effort they don't fight too hard either. Just something to catch to say you did... now a muskie I would love to feel the wrath of one of those on the end of my line.

I think I've only caught one buffalo as well, but the few times I see those and the redhorses near the surface of the water, they pay no attention to anything I throw at them. I thought I had one, reeled it in, turned out to be a Northern Hogsucker. To be fair, I don't fish for them. Them, carp, and the other usual bottom feeders I catch as by catch when I'm either jigging for sauger or fishing for catfish.
As for the muskie, one was on my "to catch list" every since I learned they swam in our waters. Hooked up with a friend that runs a guide service (for all I know he may be a member of tndeer) and we went out in his kayak, with spinning tackle, and hooked one...it leaped like a bass, pulled the kayak, and I was so happy to finally put my hands on one...I may post a pic of it tomorrow.

"I don't know the key to success, but the key to failure is trying to please everybody"

#3149850 - 02/03/13 08:13 AM Re: Fish of a thousand casts [Re: striperhunter90]
rsimms
10 Point

Loc: Chattanooga, TN

Originally Posted By: striperhunter90

Dwayne has asked me to come back over... I just haven't made the time.
http://www.ScenicCityFishing.com

#3149892 - 02/03/13 09:15 AM Re: Fish of a thousand casts [Re: rsimms]
BackwoodsBoy
Spike

Loc: WV

Paddlefish (Spoonbill)...

Land planted with pines is better than land planted with houses

#3149921 - 02/03/13 10:02 AM Re: Fish of a thousand casts [Re: Outdoor life]
striperhunter90
4 Point

I think I've only caught one buffalo as well, but the few times I see those and the redhorses near the surface of the water, they pay no attention to anything I throw at them. I thought I had one, reeled it in, turned out to be a Northern Hogsucker. To be fair, I don't fish for them. Them, carp, and the other usual bottom feeders I catch as by catch when I'm either jigging for sauger or fishing for catfish.
As for the muskie, one was on my "to catch list" every since I learned they swam in our waters. Hooked up with a friend that runs a guide service (for all I know he may be a member of tndeer) and we went out in his kayak, with spinning tackle, and hooked one...it leaped like a bass, pulled the kayak, and I was so happy to finally put my hands on one...I may post a pic of it tomorrow.

Was it by chance cory allen or jase bouldin?

#3149923 - 02/03/13 10:03 AM Re: Fish of a thousand casts [Re: rsimms]
striperhunter90
4 Point

Originally Posted By: rsimms

Dwayne has asked me to come back over... I just haven't made the time.

Dwayne is an awesome guy actually just got off the phone with him he is wanting to fish in the morning. wish i could but work wont allow it

#3150170 - 02/03/13 03:21 PM Re: Fish of a thousand casts [Re: striperhunter90]
Outdoor life
6 Point

It was Cory Allen

#3150351 - 02/03/13 05:49 PM Re: Fish of a thousand casts [Re: Outdoor life]
mike243
16 Point

Loc: east tn

Heck that aint nuthin,I live close to the lake of a 1000 casts lol,norris

#3150839 - 02/03/13 10:23 PM Re: Fish of a thousand casts [Re: Outdoor life]
striperhunter90
4 Point

It was Cory Allen

fished with him alot

#3151174 - 02/04/13 10:02 AM Re: Fish of a thousand casts [Re: striperhunter90]
BuckWild
TnDeer Old Timer
12 Point

Loc: Memphis or Birdsong Creek

When I lived in Washington and the Steelhead trout would start their runs up the rivers it would be on. Back in the early 80's the Washington Game and Fish reported that it took on average 88 hours of fishing to catch a Steelhead. Improvements in the limits and removing the Indians netting seasons have improved it over the years. I remember fishing in the rain for days on end and never catching a fish...

#3151335 - 02/04/13 12:20 PM Re: Fish of a thousand casts [Re: catman529]
bone_cave
4 Point

Loc: NE Warren CO.

Caught several on the Collins. Me and father n law had 5 total on one float
#3151362 - 02/04/13 12:41 PM Re: Fish of a thousand casts [Re: catman529]
bone_cave
4 Point

Loc: NE Warren CO.

I've got a couple pics if some one could post for me? We kayak on the Collins all the time and its pretty intense when you hang it to one them muskies, with ultralight rod. 8 lbs test w/ steel leader. Have also caught several good smallmouth in there.
Page all of 3 123>

Moderator:  RUGER, Unicam, CBU93, stretch, Bobby G, Cuttin Caller, Kimber45, Kirk, Crappie Luck 
Hop to:
Top Posters
RUGER
Deer Assassin
BSK
Crappie Luck
spitndrum
Newest Members
fghijk604245, top_of_the_foodchain, infantryleadtheway, ftwstn, Wild hog 44
13286 Registered Users
Who's Online
119 registered (REN, varmint1111, shopson, backwoods7, backroads, Andy S., 12 invisible) and 173 anonymous users online.
Forum Stats
13286 Members
42 Forums
85271 Topics
1030588 Posts

Max Online: 788 @ 11/11/13 08:06 PM
Moon Phase
CURRENT MOON
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5
6 7 8 9 10 11 12
13 14 15 16 17 18 19
20 21 22 23 24 25 26
27 28 29 30
Forum Donations
The TnDeer.Com Deer Talk Forum is for Tennessee Deer Hunters by Tennessee Deer Hunters. If you enjoy using our Talk Forum and would like to contribute to help in it's up-keep. Just submit your contribution by clicking on the DONATE button below and paying with PayPal or a major credit card. Any amount is much appreciated. Thanks for your support!

TN Burn Safe

Generated in 0.238 seconds in which 0.001 seconds were spent on a total of 14 queries. Zlib compression enabled.