Tndeer Logo

Page 1 of 1 1
Topic Options
#3144629 - 01/29/13 08:28 PM Are you gellin?
WMAn
8 Point

Loc: Williamson County

So, I started out with 35 chicken feet and 10 bald-head, skally-wags. You can read my original post here: Bwok Bwok Chicken, Chicken Bwok Bwok Chicken Heads. This was my second time making stock. Here are some notes on what I learned:

- Cleaning the chicken feet was an experience, and I did it wrong. I used boiling water when I should have used 150 to 170 degree water. It took me four to six hours to clean all 35 feet.
- I added the feet and heads to the pot, added enough cold water to cover, and put 2 tablespoons of vinegar per quart of water into the pot. I let them soak in the vinegar water for an hour. The acid in the vinegar helps draw the minerals out of the bones.
- I used a 32 quart pot and previous experience has taught me that my electric stove is ill equipped for such a large pot so I used my oven. I set the oven on 500 degrees to bring everything to a boil. Then set it on 200 degrees for twenty four hours.
- I let the stock cool overnight. The reason for using the feet is that they are full of gelatin, which is supposed to be super good for you. I thought that the gelatin would cause the stock to solidify somewhat once it cooled, but the next day it just looked like other stock I have prepared without feet.
- I didn't notice a difference until I froze it. Previous stock I made without feet would make a clear, slightly yellowish ice cube. This stock looks like frozen snow. I assume this is the gelatin from the feet.

I used the stock first in a biscuit dressing that I served at a weekend party. It received rave reviews. As the guests complimented my dish, I thought, "What the eyes don't see, the heart won't mind." ;\)

Now, for the other interesting part of this gelatin experiment. I made a venison stew Sunday. I used one Venison femur, which I cracked in half and roasted in the oven on 350 for 45 minutes. I used 6 cups of the chicken stock and enough water to cover my meat, which was a top shoulder roast. I put all of it in the oven on 250 for six hours.

I let it cool in the garage overnight, shredded the meat the next day, and added some cooked onions, carrots, and a can of diced tomatoes. Today, when I pulled it out of the fridge, it had the consistency of runny jell-o. Could this be the gelatin from the feet, the marrow from the femur, or something else?

#3145240 - 01/30/13 08:28 AM Re: Are you gellin? [Re: WMAn]
Poser
Mud Dauber
16 Point

Loc: Tennessee

content Online
I'd say that you had a really concentrated venison stock. I've made a few batches like that. The good thing is, if you don't like the consistency ir want to make a lighter sauce, you can cut it a bit when cooking.

Wild & crazy, can't be stopped. Only the strong will survive.

Keep your knife sharp and your skillet greasy.

http://www.GoCarnivore.com

#3145345 - 01/30/13 09:38 AM Re: Are you gellin? [Re: Poser]
WMAn
8 Point

Originally Posted By: Poser
I'd say that you had a really concentrated venison stock. I've made a few batches like that. The good thing is, if you don't like the consistency ir want to make a lighter sauce, you can cut it a bit when cooking.

When I heated it up, it returned to a water-like consistency so I'm not sure about the need to cut it. ??? Either way, it was really good.

#3145354 - 01/30/13 09:45 AM Re: Are you gellin? [Re: WMAn]
Poser
Mud Dauber
16 Point

content Online
 Originally Posted By: WMAn

When I heated it up, it returned to a water-like consistency so I'm not sure about the need to cut it. ??? Either way, it was really good.

Yeah, for what you are doing, its fine. -all that means is you did a good job at making stock as it should have a jelly like consistency when chilled. You might consider reusing some of that same stock for something else this week. You can cut it to make sauce, make gravy, soup etc.

#3145611 - 01/30/13 12:57 PM Re: Are you gellin? [Re: WMAn]
Crosshairy
10 Point

Loc: Bartlett, TN

content Online
 Originally Posted By: WMAn
It took me four to six hours to clean all 35 feet.

I can just imagine the conversation with my wife while this would have been going on.

Wife: WHAT ARE YOU DOING??? WHAT IS TAKING SO LONG??? I need to study and do laundry, the kids need a bath, and lunch isn't ready!

Me: Just pretend like I'm on a hunting trip and I won't be home for 4-6 hours.

Wife: What are you doing?

Me: Cleaning chicken feet!

Wife: Uhhh...

#3146477 - 01/30/13 11:54 PM Re: Are you gellin? [Re: Crosshairy]
Poser
Mud Dauber
16 Point

content Online
In China, chicken feet cost more per pound than Chicken breasts. (For the record, I personally feel that chicken breast may be the most overrated cut of meat on the market).

#3146546 - 01/31/13 06:15 AM Re: Are you gellin? [Re: Poser]
WMAn
8 Point

For the record, I personally feel that chicken breast may be the most overrated cut of meat on the market.

Agreed!

Another consequence of skillful marketing by the food industry and the "fat is bad for you" campaign.

Edited by WMAn (01/31/13 06:16 AM)

#3146853 - 01/31/13 11:49 AM Re: Are you gellin? [Re: Poser]
TAFKAP
14 Point

Loc: Memphis

In China, chicken feet cost more per pound than Chicken breasts. (For the record, I personally feel that chicken breast may be the most overrated cut of meat on the market).

Mrs. TAFKAP recently started buying air frozen chicken from Whole Paycheck.....'er, "Whole Foods"

It thaws faster, cooks faster, and tastes a WHOLE LOT better than the solution-injected crap at the grocery store. The best part is that they have de-boned thighs. They're awesome!

Page 1 of 1 1

Moderator:  Bobby G, RUGER, Unicam, gtk, CBU93, stretch, Kimber45, Kirk, Crappie Luck 
Hop to:
Top Posters
RUGER
Deer Assassin
BSK
Crappie Luck
spitndrum
Newest Members
bassassassin7, BBQ, Kornhunter, Afleming17, 260rem
13281 Registered Users
Who's Online
96 registered (Turd Farmer, caretaker, REN, DaveB, Poser, TNTomtaker01, 11 invisible) and 134 anonymous users online.
Forum Stats
13281 Members
42 Forums
85242 Topics
1030268 Posts

Max Online: 788 @ 11/11/13 08:06 PM
Moon Phase
CURRENT MOON
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5
6 7 8 9 10 11 12
13 14 15 16 17 18 19
20 21 22 23 24 25 26
27 28 29 30
Forum Donations
The TnDeer.Com Deer Talk Forum is for Tennessee Deer Hunters by Tennessee Deer Hunters. If you enjoy using our Talk Forum and would like to contribute to help in it's up-keep. Just submit your contribution by clicking on the DONATE button below and paying with PayPal or a major credit card. Any amount is much appreciated. Thanks for your support!

TN Burn Safe

Generated in 0.232 seconds in which 0.012 seconds were spent on a total of 14 queries. Zlib compression enabled.