Tndeer Logo

Page 4 of 5 <12345>
Topic Options
#3145911 - 01/30/13 04:23 PM Re: January Archery Season for 2013-2014 [Re: RUGER]
timberjack86
14 Point

Loc: Grundy county

happy Online
 Originally Posted By: RUGER
Doskil,
Because as soon as deer season opens it is then illegal to coyote hunt with anything other than what is legal for deer.
So you either have to use a bow, or a muzzleloader or rifle when they come in season, but you also have to abide by the blaze orange laws as well.

I love to deer hunt as much as anyone but I would be against extending deer season any farther into the year.

Open it Sept 1 like KY does.

For the sake of an argument the coyote hunters get to hunt year round.

#3145933 - 01/30/13 04:35 PM Re: January Archery Season for 2013-2014 [Re: RiverBuck10]
Wes Parrish
16 Point

Loc: Knoxville-Dover-Union City, TN

There will always be some "unhappy" with however the chips fall, with or without any changes. There is no perfect way, and no way to please all.

Just my opinion, regarding any season changes, high priority should be placed on overall herd health, followed by to what extent should a small minority of hunters be "catered to" at the expense of the largest majority of hunters. In this scenario, I'd define the largest majority of hunters as all the deer hunters who do not bowhunt, and also include all the small-game hunters who do not deer hunt.

With this perspective, I cannot see adding any additional hunting days that would only allow a small minority of deer hunters true additional opportunity, i.e any additional days should be archery/muzzleloader/gun, not "archery only". As stated previously, something of this nature could be done by opening the "archery only" season segment 7 days earlier, the "archery/muzzleloader" segment 7 days earlier, the "archery/muzzleloader/gun" segment 7 days earlier ---- while continuing to close "deer" season following the first weekend of January. Such a change would provide ALL deer hunters an additional 7 days of deer hunting opportunity.

Personally, I'd prefer no season segment changes at all, and am fine with how they are at present.

#3145958 - 01/30/13 04:51 PM Re: January Archery Season for 2013-2014 [Re: Wes Parrish]
Wes Parrish
16 Point

One other thing.

In the coming years, there are going to be increasing opportunities for "archery only" deer hunters because of many areas (growing municipalities and communities) out-lawing hunting with a firearm within their boundaries. Somewhat an example of this is the President's Island WMA, where all deer hunting is "archery only" due to its proximity to the City of Memphis. What I'm saying is that even though TWRA may declare it's "gun" season, local ordinance may declare "archery only".

Thus, in the coming years in many localities, gun deer hunters are going to be losing hunting opportunities as archery deer hunters gain them via local ordinances limiting the deer hunting to archery over public safety concerns. While I believe many of these safety concerns are over-stated and may be more about gun phobias than public safety, I fully expect to see some entire counties become "archery only" for deer hunting.

#3145987 - 01/30/13 05:16 PM Re: January Archery Season for 2013-2014 [Re: Wes Parrish]
Poser
Mud Dauber
16 Point

Loc: Tennessee

content Online
 Originally Posted By: Wes Parrish
One other thing.

In the coming years, there are going to be increasing opportunities for "archery only" deer hunters because of many areas (growing municipalities and communities) out-lawing hunting with a firearm within their boundaries. Somewhat an example of this is the President's Island WMA, where all deer hunting is "archery only" due to its proximity to the City of Memphis. What I'm saying is that even though TWRA may declare it's "gun" season, local ordinance may declare "archery only".

Thus, in the coming years in many localities, gun deer hunters are going to be losing hunting opportunities as archery deer hunters gain them via local ordinances limiting the deer hunting to archery over public safety concerns. While I believe many of these safety concerns are over-stated and may be more about gun phobias than public safety, I fully expect to see some entire counties become "archery only" for deer hunting.

Splitting hairs here and I understand what you are saying, but to be 100% correct:

TWRA did not deem President's Island to be archery because of its proximity to Memphis. Rather, the Port of Memphis, who own the property, did not want gunfire on their land. There is a private hunting club on PI who hunt with guns and TWRA does not restrict this.

Local municipals can ban the discharge of firearms within the city limits, however, state law trumps local ordinances and the state has no laws addressing hunting in proximity to homes, cities, etc. Therefore, state laws override any restrictions a city, neighborhood etc might place on hunting activities (including the discharge of firearms) unless a TWRA agents determines that you are doing something unsafe or against the law. This matter has been to the TN Supreme Court twice now and lost both times. You can legally hunt within the city limits where the discharge of firearms is banned. You may have to defend this action in court and pay for any legal service, but it is legal on the state level.

Wild & crazy, can't be stopped. Only the strong will survive.

Keep your knife sharp and your skillet greasy.

http://www.GoCarnivore.com

#3146025 - 01/30/13 05:50 PM Re: January Archery Season for 2013-2014 [Re: Poser]
Wes Parrish
16 Point

Originally Posted By: Poser
. . . . . . . going to be increasing opportunities for "archery only" deer hunters because of many areas (growing municipalities and communities) out-lawing hunting with a firearm within their boundaries. Somewhat an example of this is the President's Island WMA, where all deer hunting is "archery only" due to its proximity to the City of Memphis. . . . . . .

Splitting hairs here and I understand what you are saying, but to be 100% correct:

TWRA did not deem President's Island to be archery because of its proximity to Memphis. Rather, the Port of Memphis, who own the property, did not want gunfire on their land.

Local municipals can ban the discharge of firearms within the city limits, however, state law trumps local ordinances and the state has no laws addressing hunting in proximity to homes, cities, etc. . . . . . You can legally hunt within the city limits where the discharge of firearms is banned. You may have to defend this action in court and pay for any legal service, but it is legal on the state level.

Yes, you are correct, and what you point out is why I said "somewhat" an example of this is President's Island. \:\)
I'd further speculate the primary reason the property owners don't want gunfire is still due to the proximity to downtown Memphis, and we can expect a growing number of property owners to only allow hunting with archery equipment on their property. As I understand it, TWRA would be fine with allowing shotguns/muzzleloader on PI similarly to how they do on the Oak Ridge WMA. But in both cases, the property owners are further restricting the weapon choices (note much of Oak Ridge WMA is also archery-only).

Regarding "you may have to defend this action in court", I'd say it's more like you generally "will" should you be caught firing your deer rifle within the city limits of the larger TN cities.

Since a municipality has an ordinance against firing a firearm within it's limits, you would be in violation of that, and up to you to prove you're hunting to their satisfaction? Otherwise, couldn't most anyone escape serious weapons' charges simply by claiming to be hunting?

#3146105 - 01/30/13 06:46 PM Re: January Archery Season for 2013-2014 [Re: Wes Parrish]
W.Seay
14 Point

Loc: Collierville,TN.

There will always be some "unhappy" with however the chips fall, with or without any changes. There is no perfect way, and no way to please all.

Just my opinion, regarding any season changes, high priority should be placed on overall herd health, followed by to what extent should a small minority of hunters be "catered to" at the expense of the largest majority of hunters. In this scenario, I'd define the largest majority of hunters as all the deer hunters who do not bowhunt, and also include all the small-game hunters who do not deer hunt.

With this perspective, I cannot see adding any additional hunting days that would only allow a small minority of deer hunters true additional opportunity, i.e any additional days should be archery/muzzleloader/gun, not "archery only". As stated previously, something of this nature could be done by opening the "archery only" season segment 7 days earlier, the "archery/muzzleloader" segment 7 days earlier, the "archery/muzzleloader/gun" segment 7 days earlier ---- while continuing to close "deer" season following the first weekend of January. Such a change would provide ALL deer hunters an additional 7 days of deer hunting opportunity.

Personally, I'd prefer no season segment changes at all, and am fine with how they are at present.

X2

#3146106 - 01/30/13 06:46 PM Re: January Archery Season for 2013-2014 [Re: timberjack86]
RUGER Administrator
Bambi Killa
Non-Typical

Loc: TN

Originally Posted By: timberjack86
Doskil,
Because as soon as deer season opens it is then illegal to coyote hunt with anything other than what is legal for deer.
So you either have to use a bow, or a muzzleloader or rifle when they come in season, but you also have to abide by the blaze orange laws as well.

I love to deer hunt as much as anyone but I would be against extending deer season any farther into the year.

Yeah try calling one up in July and if you can, please tell me how.

#3146107 - 01/30/13 06:47 PM Re: January Archery Season for 2013-2014 [Re: W.Seay]
W.Seay
14 Point

Loc: Collierville,TN.

Why not have a "rifle only" so we can have the woods "all to ourselves" like the archery hunters already get \:\)

#3146131 - 01/30/13 07:04 PM Re: January Archery Season for 2013-2014 [Re: RUGER]
timberjack86
14 Point

Loc: Grundy county

happy Online
 Originally Posted By: timberjack86
Doskil,

Yeah try calling one up in July and if you can, please tell me how.
I never done much predator calling but I did watch a show were they were calling and killing a few in the summer months. Like I said I know little about predator hunting.But I do appreciate the guys that do it. I was just pulling your chain.

#3146537 - 01/31/13 05:59 AM Re: January Archery Season for 2013-2014 [Re: Doskil]
MUP
Non-Typical

Loc: Just North of Chatt-town

Originally Posted By: Doskil
Some folks can only hunt weekends

AND...some folks don't live in Unit L. Unit A, 3 bucks total, 4 does during archery, 4 during ML, and that's it, no does during rifle, unless it's quota or doe days, and some counties(mine included) don't have the doe days.

Amateurs: Built the Ark

Professionals: Built the Titanic

Page 4 of 5 <12345>

Moderator:  RUGER, Tennessee Todd, Unicam, Cuttin Caller, CBU93, stretch, Bobby G, TurkeyBurd, Kimber45, Mrs.Unicam, Crappie Luck 
Hop to:
Top Posters
RUGER
Deer Assassin
BSK
Crappie Luck
spitndrum
Newest Members
UTRok16, ljhhunt3, perchjerkin, camohunter3, mtd
13273 Registered Users
Who's Online
184 registered (fourwheeler431, Birdiekiller, timberjack86, Arch-N, bowhunter163, 51 pointer, 14 invisible) and 215 anonymous users online.
Forum Stats
13273 Members
42 Forums
93053 Topics
1087334 Posts

Max Online: 788 @ 11/11/13 08:06 PM
Moon Phase
CURRENT MOON
September
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Forum Donations
The TnDeer.Com Deer Talk Forum is for Tennessee Deer Hunters by Tennessee Deer Hunters. If you enjoy using our Talk Forum and would like to contribute to help in it's up-keep. Just submit your contribution by clicking on the DONATE button below and paying with PayPal or a major credit card. Any amount is much appreciated. Thanks for your support!

TN Burn Safe

Generated in 0.114 seconds in which 0.001 seconds were spent on a total of 15 queries. Zlib compression enabled.