Tndeer Logo

Page 1 of 1 1
Topic Options
#3145614 - 01/30/13 12:58 PM The Price of Revolution
Nimrod777
Non-Typical

Loc: Spring Hill, TN

Remembered an old document I'd seen about what it cost the signers of the Declaration of Independence to do so. Turned out that there was a lot of incorrect or misleading info included to heighten the drama. Heck, there's plenty of sacrifice present in the historically accurate version. Here's a copy I've compiled that hopes to be that version.

THE PRICE THEY PAID
Have you ever wondered what happened to the 56 men who signed the Declaration of Independence?
Five signers were captured by the British during battles and held as prisoners of war.
Twelve had their homes ransacked and burned.
One lost his son in the Revolutionary Army, another had two sons captured and held on a prison ship.

They signed and they pledged their lives, their fortunes, and their sacred honor. What kind of men were they? Twenty-four were lawyers and jurists. Eleven were merchants, nine were farmers and large
plantation owners, men of means, well educated. But they signed the Declaration of Independence knowing full well that the penalty could be death if they were captured.

Richard Stockton of New Jersey was taken prisoner specifically because he had signed the Declaration, dragged from his bed by night by local Tories after having evacuated his family from New Jersey. He was imprisoned in New York City's infamous Provost Jail like a common criminal.

Carter Braxton of Virginia, a wealthy planter and trader, saw his ships swept from the seas by the British navy, a casualty of wartime appropriations. He sold his home and properties to pay his debts.

Thomas McKean was so hounded by the British because of his involvement with the militia that he was forced to move his family five times in three months, finally settling them in a small log home on the banks of the Susquehanna River. They were soon forced to move again due to incursions by the Indians.
Military forces looted the properties of Ellery, Clymer, Hall, Walton, Gwinnett, Heyward, Rutledge, and Middleton.

At the Battle of Yorktown, Thomas Nelson, Jr. noted that the British leaders had taken over the family home for their headquarters. The owner urged General George Washington to open fire upon his own house. The home stands to this day, with evidence of cannon fire on the Southeast side.

Francis Lewis had his home and properties destroyed. The enemy jailed his wife, imprisoning her for several months.

John Hart was driven from his home less than a month after his wife's death, and forced to remain in hiding for some time.

Lewis Morris saw his home taken as barracks for Continental soldiers, and his horses and livestock commandeered as military resources. Shortly afterwards his home was appropriated by the British.

Philip Livingston lost several properties to the British occupation, and sold off others to support the war effort. He died before recovering any of his losses.

Such were the stories and sacrifices of the American Revolution.
These were no wild-eyed, rabble-rousing ruffians. They were ordinary men of means and education. They had security, but they valued their liberty more. They signed a document having every reason to believe at the time that they might well be hanged for doing so.

Standing tall, straight and unwavering, they pledged: "For the support of this declaration, with a firm reliance on the protection of the Divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other, our lives, our fortunes and our sacred honor."

But many more, some famous, most not, risked and sacrificed much (including their lives) to support the revolution that would bring new freedom to all who would embrace it.

#3145630 - 01/30/13 01:08 PM Re: The Price of Revolution [Re: Nimrod777]
MUP
Non-Typical

Loc: Just North of Chatt-town

Awesome post Keith!

Amateurs: Built the Ark

Professionals: Built the Titanic

#3145644 - 01/30/13 01:14 PM Re: The Price of Revolution [Re: MUP]
preds1
12 Point

Loc: Sumner County

That right there should be mandatory in every school.
Great read.

#3145697 - 01/30/13 01:43 PM Re: The Price of Revolution [Re: preds1]
de novo
10 Point

Loc: Middle TN

Similar to what Paul Harvey used to read every 4th of July.

Opposing tyranny ain't easy!

“The further a society drifts from truth the more it will hate those who speak it.”

#3145756 - 01/30/13 02:17 PM Re: The Price of Revolution [Re: de novo]
Nimrod777
Non-Typical

Loc: Spring Hill, TN

I miss ol' Paul H!

#3145940 - 01/30/13 04:40 PM Re: The Price of Revolution [Re: Nimrod777]
WGK
WILD BILL
12 Point

Loc: loudon

Great post Nimrod I wish more people understood what it took to start this nation of ours.

#3145995 - 01/30/13 05:30 PM Re: The Price of Revolution [Re: WGK]
sgtwebb1
14 Point

Loc: Ooltewah/Harrison TN, USA

Originally Posted By: WGK
Great post Nimrod I wish more people understood what it took to start this nation of ours.

Also, they need to be reminded the price that has been paid over and over to keep it free, and what might be needed to keep it free from tyranny still.

Visit my Blog:
Sons of LiberTea Blog

#3146011 - 01/30/13 05:43 PM Re: The Price of Revolution [Re: sgtwebb1]
in the dog house!
14 Point

Loc: west tn

content Online
So what is it going to take the MEN of TODAY to do the same. This time we cant sail across the big pond to start a new. The libs are doing a great job of dividing us, he!! we on here cant even all get along. WHAT IS IT GOING TO TAKE TO GET OUR COUNTRY BACK ............ I want my kids and my future grand kids to have a good life. To have the chance to make a good life, to be happy, to not have to worry about what the Government is going to do to us next. To know that hard work does, and will pay off. WHAT WILL IT TAKE... its just a simple question.

Μολων λαβε

#3146031 - 01/30/13 05:55 PM Re: The Price of Revolution [Re: in the dog house!]
TeamMainStreet
8 Point

Loc: Union County,Tn

We must all hang together, or assuredly we shall all hang separately.-Benjamin Franklin

Dont tread on me

Page 1 of 1 1

Moderator:  RUGER, Unicam, gtk, Tennessee Todd, Lakeland Charlie, Cuttin Caller, CBU93, stretch, Outdoor Lady, TurkeyBurd, MAN, Bobby G, Kimber45, Crappie Luck, Kirk 
Hop to:
Top Posters
RUGER
Deer Assassin
BSK
Crappie Luck
spitndrum
Newest Members
Afleming17, 260rem, Hunter244, Woodsmaster, Tennessee Skeeter
13278 Registered Users
Who's Online
110 registered (leader, in the dog house!, paincave_2000, junebugwapiti, TAFKAP, VolHunter22, 13 invisible) and 173 anonymous users online.
Forum Stats
13278 Members
42 Forums
85104 Topics
1028411 Posts

Max Online: 788 @ 11/11/13 08:06 PM
Moon Phase
CURRENT MOON
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5
6 7 8 9 10 11 12
13 14 15 16 17 18 19
20 21 22 23 24 25 26
27 28 29 30
Forum Donations
The TnDeer.Com Deer Talk Forum is for Tennessee Deer Hunters by Tennessee Deer Hunters. If you enjoy using our Talk Forum and would like to contribute to help in it's up-keep. Just submit your contribution by clicking on the DONATE button below and paying with PayPal or a major credit card. Any amount is much appreciated. Thanks for your support!

TN Burn Safe

Generated in 0.217 seconds in which 0.001 seconds were spent on a total of 14 queries. Zlib compression enabled.