Tndeer Logo

Page 2 of 3 <123>
Topic Options
#3143857 - 01/29/13 12:49 PM Re: Help me looking for used truck [Re: X-Tennessean]
Reemus Buckshot
8 Point

Loc: Germantown, TN

Any other tips on what to check on a vehicle before buying used?

I would also like to hear anybody's tactics to talking a price down with salesman...

#3143880 - 01/29/13 01:10 PM Re: Help me looking for used truck [Re: Reemus Buckshot]
shelbydeer
8 Point

Loc: memphis

content Online
I hate dealing with any car salesman. If you are buying a used car from a private party the condition of the interior can tell you a lot about how it's been driven. I have owned several z71 in my past and current and had no issues with any of them and all had over 200k miles Good luck
#3143995 - 01/29/13 02:14 PM Re: Help me looking for used truck [Re: shelbydeer]
Crosshairy
10 Point

Loc: Bartlett, TN

Is the transmission the only thing wrong with your vehicle? Not to shoot holes in your logic, but it seems like you are basically saying you are willing to lose thousands of dollars in trading in a vehicle and paying taxes/registration/mark-up on a second one just to avoid the lesser cost of replacing the transmission on your current one. If I were in your shoes, I would save all that money and patch your existing problem and move on. Just selling to Car Max, for example, means they are probably taking at least $2k in profits out of your pocket (if they can sell your vehicle on-site because it's new enough, it might be better, but if it doesn't meet their standards, it's usually sold/auctioned to another lot). If it has tons of problems, I understand that you gotta do what you gotta do. I've just been in your exact shoes before and hate to see someone get in a bunch of debt while they are trying to start a family. Even if you have to put $3k on the credit card to pay for the transmission, that's still a lot smaller note than a vehicle upgrade.

As far as car buying, i would use Autotrader.com as a good way of doing a widespread price check on several models. There are some fairly good search options that you can use to narrow selection.

A thorough vehicle inspection and driving test will tell you a lot. As Shelbydeer points out, the "little" things like scratches/dents/stains/smells/pet hair/smoke give you an indication of how well the rest of the vehicle was maintained. Be sure to get under the vehicle and check for oil leaks (bring a flash light!), and look at the oil dipstick to see whether the existing oil is clean or not (easy check for how diligent they are with maintenance).

Check for maintenance records that indicate whether things were performed on time. For a given year/make/model vehicle you might do an internet search for "recommended maintenance" and find out what sorts of things should have already been done on that vehicle at its mileage, then check with the owner for records.

I would spent the 5 or 6 bucks per month on a Consumerreports.org internet subscription and look at the reliability ratings for different kinds of vehicles. Look past the overall scores at the individual categories, and make sure that the expensive stuff (drive train, engine, transmission, electrical) are not points of concerns for that particular vehicle year. It will indicate when a "redesign" year was, and often times the reliability will be different for models made after that.

Of course, you must also realize that many times you will pay $5-10,000 more for a vehicle that is highly rated for reliability, just to save $2-3k in repair costs over a 5-10 year ownership span. Case in point - I drive a cheap Chevy Cavalier with mediocre reliability ratings in Consumer Reports. But since the vehice costs so little compared to some of its peers on the market at the time, I've probably saved myself $5-10k over the life of the vehicle so far.

Get a hard number down that you aren't going to go above on buying the vehicle. Factor in the taxes and tags for all of your out of pocket expenses so that you don't over-inflate your ability to buy. Then DON'T LET THEM TALK YOU OVER YOUR LIMIT! Be willing to walk away from a deal. Getting pre-approved for a loan (if you are financing) from your bank isn't a bad idea just to have a bargaining chip when they try to sell you a crappy financing deal.

If you want a decent deal from a used car lot, CityAuto on Covington Pike is a pretty good place. They push a lot of volume. The prices CAN be beat, but I don't hear about any rip-offs coming from them either. They have a warranty program on some vehicles that helps boost buyer confidence. They do a pretty good job of cataloging their inventory, and they get lots of new vehicles in all the time. Check their website to see what they have.

#3144033 - 01/29/13 02:37 PM Re: Help me looking for used truck [Re: Crosshairy]
JeepKuntry
16 Point

Loc: Clinton, TN

They don't call them an Exploder for nothing. If I were looking used to pull a camper, I'd go full size. You can find decent prices on the Tundra's that aren't true crew cabs. But Tundra's get horrible gas mileage. My 07 Silverado was the biggest POS I've ever owned, never again will own a Chevy.

#3144941 - 01/29/13 11:21 PM Re: Help me looking for used truck [Re: JeepKuntry]
Reemus Buckshot
8 Point

Here's my biggest dilemma...we really can't afford another car note. I have saved about $1000. The explorer started kicking real hard into reverse and shifting gears hard and hesitating when shifting around 50k. I just drove it after having it inspected and the tranny fluid changed. Other than shifting gears hard, I have replaced a cracked radiator and tire sensors.

I am worried about replacing the tranny with a rebuilt one and it not entirely resolving my problem and the vehicle just turning into a money put. Anyone had good experience with getting a tranny replaced with a used one?

#3144945 - 01/29/13 11:23 PM Re: Help me looking for used truck [Re: Reemus Buckshot]
Reemus Buckshot
8 Point

BTW, I don't mean to keep bugging y'all by begging for advice. There are some knowledgeable, helpful people here...that's all. I appreciate all of the input
#3144992 - 01/30/13 12:26 AM Re: Help me looking for used truck [Re: Reemus Buckshot]
Hangnail
12 Point

Loc: Murfreesboro, TN

Having been in your shoes many years ago, sell that freakin' boat and get your current bucket o' bolts fixed, not repaired. Babies, especially the first one, are dang expensive. By the time your child is old enough for ALL of you to enjoy the lake, those car notes saved will buy you a nice, new boat. Trust me, Murphy doesn't just ride along on your shoulder. He likes to jump up and down when you need it the least.
#3145146 - 01/30/13 06:45 AM Re: Help me looking for used truck [Re: Hangnail]
Viper (tp)
14 Point

Loc: greenfield, tenn.

THere ain't no way in HAY-DEES I'm going to spend 17k on something that has 100k miles on it, weather it a hummer or space shuttle.

I'm like others on here budget don't allow it, but mainly I just cant make myself understand that kinda money for something with 100k miles. JMO

#3146356 - 01/30/13 09:28 PM Re: Help me looking for used truck [Re: Viper (tp)]
2shot
Spike

Loc: Smyrna, TN.

How much is a new factory trans with a factory warranty?? That way if a problem occurs ANY dealer can deal with it. I'm not a fan of rebuild trans. Hell I work on GM products and have had BAD ones right out of the reman box, but the factory won't leave ya walkin!
#3146411 - 01/30/13 10:00 PM Re: Help me looking for used truck [Re: 2shot]
deerhunter10
10 Point

Loc: maury county tn

idk how much but I know quite a few people that have a titan and I have never herd of any of them having trouble with the trans. I haul a trailer every day during mowing season no problems and ive hauled quite a bit of weight with it. no problems. but I don't reckon that's a bad idea to have one never know when it could fail.

Page 2 of 3 <123>

Moderator:  RUGER, Unicam, gtk, Tennessee Todd, Lakeland Charlie, Cuttin Caller, CBU93, stretch, TurkeyBurd, MAN, Bobby G, Kimber45, Crappie Luck 
Hop to:
Top Posters
RUGER
Deer Assassin
BSK
Crappie Luck
spitndrum
Newest Members
Deadeye14, woodie, Montana10point, sandman064, MossyOak30
13107 Registered Users
Who's Online
66 registered (Vermin93, TnKen, Backstrapcrazy, old guy, muddyhunter, Team Passintime, 10 invisible) and 114 anonymous users online.
Forum Stats
13107 Members
42 Forums
88979 Topics
1040897 Posts

Max Online: 788 @ 11/11/13 08:06 PM
Moon Phase
CURRENT MOON
July
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5
6 7 8 9 10 11 12
13 14 15 16 17 18 19
20 21 22 23 24 25 26
27 28 29 30 31
Forum Donations
The TnDeer.Com Deer Talk Forum is for Tennessee Deer Hunters by Tennessee Deer Hunters. If you enjoy using our Talk Forum and would like to contribute to help in it's up-keep. Just submit your contribution by clicking on the DONATE button below and paying with PayPal or a major credit card. Any amount is much appreciated. Thanks for your support!

TN Burn Safe

Generated in 0.219 seconds in which 0.001 seconds were spent on a total of 15 queries. Zlib compression enabled.