Tndeer Logo

Page 2 of 2 <12
Topic Options
#3143963 - 01/29/13 01:52 PM Re: Garrett McNamara May Have Ridden A 100-Foot Wave [Re: Crosshairy]
Poser
Mud Dauber
16 Point

Loc: Tennessee

Originally Posted By: Crosshairy
How did he even get out into the surf to begin with and not die in the process? A submarine?!?

Sometimes, they use jet skies to tow them out. They wait for timing between the waves and gun it out there. Or, they come in from the side. In a surf like that, I'd expect it would have to be something like that. Its not like you can just turtle under a 100 foot wave.

Wild & crazy, can't be stopped. Only the strong will survive.

Keep your knife sharp and your skillet greasy.

http://www.GoCarnivore.com

#3144058 - 01/29/13 02:57 PM Re: Garrett McNamara May Have Ridden A 100-Foot Wave [Re: Poser]
thetoolman
8 Point

Loc: Charlotte, Tennessee

Originally Posted By: Poser
 Originally Posted By: Crosshairy
How did he even get out into the surf to begin with and not die in the process? A submarine?!?

Sometimes, they use jet skies to tow them out. They wait for timing between the waves and gun it out there. Or, they come in from the side. In a surf like that, I'd expect it would have to be something like that. Its not like you can just turtle under a 100 foot wave.

Just read one of the links, said he was towed out by a jetski. Had ridden 2 60 ft waves before that one.

"Vegetarian" old Indian word for Bad Hunter

http://www.completepctherapy.com

#3144120 - 01/29/13 03:40 PM Re: Garrett McNamara May Have Ridden A 100-Foot Wave [Re: Crosshairy]
ChippewaPartners
10 Point

Loc: Pamelot, my farm near Catoosa

When he walks out of the water and pulls off that wet suit he probably has to throw his gonads up over his shoulder to walk to his rig.......is it courage or lack therof of any fear?

#3144200 - 01/29/13 04:26 PM Re: Garrett McNamara May Have Ridden A 100-Foot Wave [Re: ChippewaPartners]
Poser
Mud Dauber
16 Point

Loc: Tennessee

Originally Posted By: ChippewaPartners
When he walks out of the water and pulls off that wet suit he probably has to throw his gonads up over his shoulder to walk to his rig.......is it courage or lack therof of any fear?

Its just getting good at something and increasing your comfort zone. There's definitely a deep sense of fulfillment in having control over an entirely chaotic situation. Can the slightest mistake kill you? Absolutely. Don't make mistakes, don't lose your head. This guy likely would have made an excellent field goal kicker. To perform well in failure-is-not-a-option scenarios, you have to have the desire to get out there and want to do it in the first place. In other words, a good field goal kick looks forward to the clutch kick. A poor field goal kicker dreads it.

Wild & crazy, can't be stopped. Only the strong will survive.

Keep your knife sharp and your skillet greasy.

http://www.GoCarnivore.com

#3144218 - 01/29/13 04:36 PM Re: Garrett McNamara May Have Ridden A 100-Foot Wave [Re: Poser]
sgtwebb1
14 Point

Loc: Ooltewah/Harrison TN, USA

mad Online
It's a good thing I wasn't raised anywhere near the west coast or south Pacific, where surfing big waves is possible.
I guarantee I would be dead or crippled.
Used to be a bit crazy, was convinced of my own invincibility....

That guy is awesome.

Visit my Blog:
Sons of LiberTea Blog

#3144299 - 01/29/13 05:40 PM Re: Garrett McNamara May Have Ridden A 100-Foot Wave [Re: sgtwebb1]
ChippewaPartners
10 Point

Loc: Pamelot, my farm near Catoosa

These big boys train and train and train so they are prepared. I surfed when I lived in southern California, (Kiffen Kountry) and know some guys who have traveled the world in search of the perfect wave.

They have a system with the sled driver so they can get rescued if they fall. The maximum hold down would be 20 seconds for one wave, and possibly 40 seconds for a two wave hold down. With training one can hold their breath that long fairly easily. A three wave hold down for 60 seconds gets dicely and black out is possible. Thirdly, they are wearing life preservers that float them to the surface. Shane Dorian has also developed an air bag that inflates to bring the surfer to the surface. The statistics of surfing demonstrate it is rather safe overall.

#3144313 - 01/29/13 05:49 PM Re: Garrett McNamara May Have Ridden A 100-Foot Wave [Re: ChippewaPartners]
dr
10 Point

Loc: USA

I watched a documentary on the famous surfer Laird Hamilton. He would get towed by jet ski onto some monstrous waves, and surf his way in. Awesome movie.

Page 2 of 2 <12

Moderator:  RUGER, Unicam, gtk, Tennessee Todd, Lakeland Charlie, Cuttin Caller, CBU93, stretch, TurkeyBurd, MAN, Bobby G, Kimber45, Crappie Luck 
Hop to:
Top Posters
RUGER
Deer Assassin
BSK
Crappie Luck
spitndrum
Newest Members
two1980, Darrenduhl, 2winsrus, jacmac, Smokeymtnbow
13101 Registered Users
Who's Online
107 registered (Lincoln Co Archer, DEER REPELLANT, RageBow, Jerriod74, 7mmMag, Dodge Man, 10 invisible) and 121 anonymous users online.
Forum Stats
13101 Members
42 Forums
88800 Topics
1038855 Posts

Max Online: 788 @ 11/11/13 08:06 PM
Moon Phase
CURRENT MOON
July
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5
6 7 8 9 10 11 12
13 14 15 16 17 18 19
20 21 22 23 24 25 26
27 28 29 30 31
Forum Donations
The TnDeer.Com Deer Talk Forum is for Tennessee Deer Hunters by Tennessee Deer Hunters. If you enjoy using our Talk Forum and would like to contribute to help in it's up-keep. Just submit your contribution by clicking on the DONATE button below and paying with PayPal or a major credit card. Any amount is much appreciated. Thanks for your support!

TN Burn Safe

Generated in 0.226 seconds in which 0.001 seconds were spent on a total of 15 queries. Zlib compression enabled.