Tndeer Logo

Page 1 of 2 12>
Topic Options
#3143996 - 01/29/13 02:15 PM Boo! Yep she is kinda different!!
Big J
16 Point

Loc: Joelton

The experiment in the works.

When Boo was born in 1994 , we decided to raise her different. We decided we would raise her to be self sufficient. We did not want her on teams or learning team work type skills. we wanted her to be responsible for her. Her decisions on what she would do and the consequences would be solely on her. The reason we put her in Archery. I person, 1 responsible party! Everyone doe not get a trophy type environment.
Well now she is in college and I notice that she makes very wise decisions. She tells me stories of some of these kids and how everyone is drunk or doing drugs and how she puts her ear buds in and just stays away from them all.
She is not ashamed to tell anyone she is waiting for marriage and refuses to follow the trend of the average kid these days. She rarely says a curse word and works her butt off. She still comes home and shoots 100 arrows a night no matter how tired she is and is really committed to being the best she can be.
No boyfriends, she dumped her 1st and only one over 2 years ago. It lasted 4 months.
I am very interested in seeing how this one turns out. I think I may take my other two youngest in that same direction.

I took Devin my second child thru the public school system and the team thing while teaching the same values. I am afraid I made a mistake on that one as he is having major issues and we are at our wits end with him.

New shall see! I guess we will look back on it all in years to come and know what we did right and wrong. Parenting is sure an adventure!!

#3144003 - 01/29/13 02:20 PM Re: Boo! Yep she is kinda different!! [Re: Big J]
J.W.308
8 Point

Loc: Beaver ,Tn USA

Well done with Boo . Good luck with the boys
#3144026 - 01/29/13 02:34 PM Re: Boo! Yep she is kinda different!! [Re: J.W.308]
JeepKuntry
16 Point

Loc: Clinton, TN

IMO you can teach them right and wrong, but the ultimate decision goes back to the individual. Being to strict often backfires. Carleigh is almost two now. She will be raised in church, disciplined, taught right from wrong, and she will follow our rules while she lives under our roof. That's basically what my parents did and it worked. Alot of parents today aren't involved in the kids lives and that can have a negative affect on things.

#3144039 - 01/29/13 02:42 PM Re: Boo! Yep she is kinda different!! [Re: JeepKuntry]
Hangnail
14 Point

Loc: Murfreesboro, TN

There isn't just one good way to raise a child. Kids are as different as adults. What works for one may not work for another. Some just have to learn the hard way. I'm glad mine aren't kids anymore. I'm tired.
#3144145 - 01/29/13 03:57 PM Re: Boo! Yep she is kinda different!! [Re: Hangnail]
TNhunter
TnDeer Old Timer
10 Point

Loc: Murfreesboro, TN, Rutherford

You have done good. She has a lot in common with my oldest. She would rather come home and hang out than to be around the craziness that is so common in today's college life. She loves spending time at church functions and just went on a mission trip to Haiti on her Christmas break.

Edited by TNhunter (01/29/13 03:58 PM)

"If there is unrest, the government will seize all the registered guns."

"You need guns and ammo first then everything else."

#3144153 - 01/29/13 04:00 PM Re: Boo! Yep she is kinda different!! [Re: TNhunter]
Big J
16 Point

Loc: Joelton

Yes each child is different. Just think We may have done right by this one!

#3144201 - 01/29/13 04:26 PM Re: Boo! Yep she is kinda different!! [Re: Big J]
Crow Terminator
TnDeer Old Timer
14 Point

Loc: McMinn County

Is she still getting called on to do speaking engagements? I remember the threads a while back about her standing up and taking a stand for God.

Are ya'll heading to the ASA Florida Pro/Am??

#3144225 - 01/29/13 04:41 PM Re: Boo! Yep she is kinda different!! [Re: Crow Terminator]
Nimrod777
Non-Typical

Loc: Spring Hill, TN

BigJ, I don't know how much her success as a person was dependent upon homeschooling and avoidance of team sports. My son was public schooled all the way through, and played league soccer all the way up through college. He spent his teen years on mission trips and Christian conferences while trying to influence his buddies towards Christ. His college summers were spent in ministry internships and that 2-month mission internship he did in Chile. And the only time he "moved back home" was when he knew my wife and I were going to be without a ministry position/job, and he passed job offers in order to be home to help us, financially if necessary, but at a minimum with packing and painting.

Not to diminish at all the role of your raising her, I suspect that Boo is who she is in part because of those choices you made for her, but in large part simply because she is who she is. But man, keep up the good work, for it's that parenting that starts em out right, and teaches them the way they should go.

As for the ones who get bull-headed and stupid from time to time, my wife and I maintain that the worst thing about raising kids is that they get to make their own choices! I think that's where the prayer comes in! ;\)

#3144276 - 01/29/13 05:17 PM Re: Boo! Yep she is kinda different!! [Re: Nimrod777]
Paul Burns
TnDeer Old Timer
8 Point

Loc: Westport--- Carroll County Tn

interesting thoughts ---- I know I have changed my views on things as the years have gone by. As Nimrod said each child is different and they are who they are..some grow and some don't.

#3144348 - 01/29/13 06:13 PM Re: Boo! Yep she is kinda different!! [Re: Paul Burns]
eightpointer
14 Point

Loc: Birchwood, TN

I'll sure agree each is different. Our sweet little 13 year old girl can sure test us. Man..I could beat the living crap out of her and she would not back down. Very trying to say the least. Hoping prayers help.
Page 1 of 2 12>

Moderator:  RUGER, Unicam, gtk, Tennessee Todd, Lakeland Charlie, Cuttin Caller, CBU93, stretch, TurkeyBurd, MAN, Bobby G, Kimber45, Crappie Luck 
Hop to:
Top Posters
RUGER
Deer Assassin
BSK
Crappie Luck
spitndrum
Newest Members
yarddawg54, schiesser, bigdoc, Bggamehunter, willy2763
13605 Registered Users
Who's Online
4 registered (waltny, RAFI, RiverBuck10, 1 invisible) and 83 anonymous users online.
Forum Stats
13605 Members
43 Forums
100233 Topics
1180120 Posts

Max Online: 788 @ 11/11/13 08:06 PM
Moon Phase
CURRENT MOON
December
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30 31
Forum Donations
The TnDeer.Com Deer Talk Forum is for Tennessee Deer Hunters by Tennessee Deer Hunters. If you enjoy using our Talk Forum and would like to contribute to help in it's up-keep. Just submit your contribution by clicking on the DONATE button below and paying with PayPal or a major credit card. Any amount is much appreciated. Thanks for your support!

TN Burn Safe

Generated in 0.01 seconds in which 0.001 seconds were spent on a total of 15 queries. Zlib compression enabled.