Tndeer Logo

Page 2 of 2 <12
Topic Options
#3143672 - 01/29/13 10:38 AM Re: Meetme.com- if you have teens [Re: in the dog house!]
Pic IN the Casa
TurdFarmer2.0
16 Point

Loc: TN

Originally Posted By: in the dog house!
This is a tough spot for me. My stepdaughter whom Ive raised since she was 5 and am more of a dad to her than her real dad. He has given her the I-4 and now the I-5. I dont like her having the phone or at least the fact that it has internet on it. So im between a rock and a hard place as to keeping her off the net. This type stuff really concerns me. Every time I contest, Im met with resistance and cant seem to get anything done about it. She LIVES on that phone and we really have no control over what she does on it. That being said she is a straight A student and a great kid, but its not her that Im worried about. What to do................

When my daughter brought this to our attention I could've blown up on her for going to the site but the wifey said we needed to address it from a danger standpoint and a "we're scared of what could happen" rather than just tell her "I told ya so".

It worked for us in a since that she dumped the site as well as facebook. We told her to re-evaluate all of her contacts and dump any that she thought were not positive friends. Suprisingly, she dumped several friends that I figured she'd keep.

We also told her that WE always have her password to her phone and that she can text/call from 3pm to 8pm. After that the phone goes on the charger, in OUR room. One thing we did find is that these guys would contact her from 10pm on (they knew what they were doing).

I think we scared her, which is good. My advice is to at least start some dialogue with your step daughter and put some restrictions that you both agree to, at least in the beginning.

#3143675 - 01/29/13 10:40 AM Re: Meetme.com- if you have teens [Re: MUP]
WGK
WILD BILL
12 Point

Loc: loudon

I am going to show this to a friend of mine who has a teen-age daughter. This is probably one of hundreds of sites just like it.

#3143695 - 01/29/13 10:52 AM Re: Meetme.com- if you have teens [Re: ]
EastTNHunter
10 Point

Loc: Rhea Co., TN

Originally Posted By: Buckykm1
 Originally Posted By: Pic IN the Casa
My daughter (14) joined this site on Jan 3 because a friend was on it. In 24 days she was approached by and talked to 16 guys. Almost every one of them, by the 4th post to her asked to see her naked. One was a friend of her cousin. Luckily she 'fessed up about how raunchy the site was before something stupid happened.

If you have a daughter CONTROL what social media she is on.

If you have a son make sure he is NOT a predator roaming these sites.

We live in an absolute evil world.

This kind of stuff just burns me up. If i had a boy that was doing that i promise he would not be able to sit down for a good while.

Problem is, many boys are encouraged to be this way by their daddies, whether verbally or by example. And I am talking about some that claim to be mature and responsible (see many posts on this site).

#3143705 - 01/29/13 10:58 AM Re: Meetme.com- if you have teens [Re: WGK]
Nimrod777
Non-Typical

Loc: Spring Hill, TN

Continue to fight the tide, folks. Your family's welfare is at stake, and that includes family yet to be born. What your children experience will be what they take into their relationships and marriages.

Our home computer was located in the living room, screen facing the sofa. That was the only computer available to our kids at home. In the kids' rooms was no cable, no TV, no VCR, no computer, no internet. Our kids did not have data plans. They did not even have the password to our family computer until after they went to college.

Yet they survived, and pretty dang well, I might add. But the struggle doesn't end for them. It just gets passed into their court. My son called me one day to tell me that he had started visiting sites he knew he shouldn't, and had turned his Kindle over to a friend for a time so that he couldn't continue.

Talk about proud of my boy! He's 23.

#3143775 - 01/29/13 11:51 AM Re: Meetme.com- if you have teens [Re: in the dog house!]
89cherokeelimited
6 Point

Loc: TN, Sumner, Hendersonville

This is a tough spot for me. My stepdaughter whom Ive raised since she was 5 and am more of a dad to her than her real dad. He has given her the I-4 and now the I-5. I dont like her having the phone or at least the fact that it has internet on it. So im between a rock and a hard place as to keeping her off the net. This type stuff really concerns me. Every time I contest, Im met with resistance and cant seem to get anything done about it. She LIVES on that phone and we really have no control over what she does on it. That being said she is a straight A student and a great kid, but its not her that Im worried about. What to do................

Is she on y'alls phone plan or the other guy?
If she is on y'alls and he got her the phone you can call and get certain things blocked on the internet on the phone

#3143812 - 01/29/13 12:15 PM Re: Meetme.com- if you have teens [Re: 89cherokeelimited]
in the dog house!
16 Point

Loc: west tn

No she is on his plan. If she was on ours it would already be a done deal! Thats why Im stuck tween a rock and a hard place.

Μολων λαβε

#3144067 - 01/29/13 03:02 PM Re: Meetme.com- if you have teens [Re: in the dog house!]
JeepKuntry
16 Point

Loc: Clinton, TN

Never heard of the website. Not condoning the behavior, but I remember being a horny young toad. But we didn't have the internet till I was a senior and I didn't venture off to those sites on the family computer. My daughter is almost 2, I'm scared to think of the world my daughter will grow up in.

#3144087 - 01/29/13 03:16 PM Re: Meetme.com- if you have teens [Re: JeepKuntry]
DaveB
10 Point

Loc: Shelby County

Guess I better do some checking.....pretty sure things are squared away based on some previous events where web sites have been visited by accident, kids come right to me or Mom to tell us what happened.

Still, you have to keep a sharp eye out for this junk and as previously mentioned, try not to go Vesuvius if you find something. Education and true concern can go much further than yelling and screaming, although I can do that, too. Just hope I can follow my own advice.

#3144118 - 01/29/13 03:38 PM Re: Meetme.com- if you have teens [Re: in the dog house!]
-DRM-
6 Point

Loc: Spring Hill, TN

Require that the child provide the parents with a list of every site they are on, the username, and the password.

No list, no access... simple as that.

#3144119 - 01/29/13 03:38 PM Re: Meetme.com- if you have teens [Re: DaveB]
Brisco Darlin
10 Point

Loc: East Tn.

Dave i'm with you on that. Luckily my daughter's still come to me and admit when they've done something wrong. Open communication can go along way. My 14 year old even came to me and told me she opened something that she didn't mean to.

Page 2 of 2 <12

Moderator:  RUGER, Unicam, gtk, Tennessee Todd, Lakeland Charlie, Cuttin Caller, CBU93, stretch, TurkeyBurd, MAN, Bobby G, Kimber45, Crappie Luck 
Hop to:
Top Posters
RUGER
Deer Assassin
BSK
Crappie Luck
spitndrum
Newest Members
kiplrrp, MudIslandMemphis, bcole0305, Browningbelgium7, cw308
13555 Registered Users
Who's Online
94 registered (Bigmonts, shelbydeer, TNTomtaker01, BigRod, gtk, TeamMainStreet, 10 invisible) and 173 anonymous users online.
Forum Stats
13555 Members
42 Forums
99434 Topics
1169699 Posts

Max Online: 788 @ 11/11/13 08:06 PM
Moon Phase
CURRENT MOON
November
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
2 3 4 5 6 7 8
9 10 11 12 13 14 15
16 17 18 19 20 21 22
23 24 25 26 27 28 29
Forum Donations
The TnDeer.Com Deer Talk Forum is for Tennessee Deer Hunters by Tennessee Deer Hunters. If you enjoy using our Talk Forum and would like to contribute to help in it's up-keep. Just submit your contribution by clicking on the DONATE button below and paying with PayPal or a major credit card. Any amount is much appreciated. Thanks for your support!

TN Burn Safe

Generated in 0.046 seconds in which 0.001 seconds were spent on a total of 15 queries. Zlib compression enabled.