Tndeer Logo

Page 1 of 2 12>
Topic Options
#3143844 - 01/29/13 12:37 PM HomeSite Homeowners Insurance anyone?
DaveB
10 Point

Loc: Shelby County

Just wondering if any members have any experience with this insurance company.

A hot water pipe UNDER the slab broke and they won't pay for repairs because there is no damage inside the house. The water drained down through the backfill to the lowest corner of the lot and exited through the foundation blocks, directly above the foundation, a very tiny piece of mortar was loosened. Already carried it pretty far up the ladder, going to go higher (and get a new insurtance company).

I opted to re-route pipes rather than knock holes in my floor and the guy did a great job, PM me if you need a Christian pumber who doesn't think your floors are paved with gold.

My advice to all-read that policy very carefully. There are more places for the insurance comapny to wiggle through than a seine net. BTW, this was my first claim ever; 18 years worth of good customer apparently doesn't mean much.

#3143966 - 01/29/13 01:56 PM Re: HomeSite Homeowners Insurance anyone? [Re: DaveB]
Hangnail
12 Point

Loc: Murfreesboro, TN

Why are you hammering the insurance company? Having good customer service has nothing to do with paying for something that wasn't covered. I understand your situation, but it's your fault you didn't know what was covered in your policy, not the insurance company's.
#3144023 - 01/29/13 02:32 PM Re: HomeSite Homeowners Insurance anyone? [Re: Hangnail]
89cherokeelimited
6 Point

Loc: TN, Sumner, Hendersonville

I like Travelers Home Owners insurance.

#3144040 - 01/29/13 02:43 PM Re: HomeSite Homeowners Insurance anyone? [Re: 89cherokeelimited]
TAFKAP
14 Point

Loc: Memphis

I think you'd be hard pressed to find ANY homeowners policy that covers structural foundation issues.

#3144041 - 01/29/13 02:43 PM Re: HomeSite Homeowners Insurance anyone? [Re: 89cherokeelimited]
JeepKuntry
16 Point

Loc: Clinton, TN

I represent about 10 companies that write homeowners insurance. Not one would cover the loss you listed above. What are you wanting them to repair? I'm not trying to be agrumentative but this sounds like a maintenance/foundation or possibly install issue, not a claim. Homeowners insurance is protect your from catastrophic loss.

Edited by JeepKuntry (01/29/13 02:44 PM)

#3144054 - 01/29/13 02:55 PM Re: HomeSite Homeowners Insurance anyone? [Re: Hangnail]
DaveB
10 Point

Yep Hangnail, I am hammering them and am gonna continue. You got your perspective, I got mine. You may be right, the letter of the contract is there for me to read, I can tell you it is open for intrepretation because it specifically is pointed at water from an external source, like a buried gutter downpipe or sprinkler that causes damage, that is not covered. I say this isn't from an outside source. They disagree.

If I didn't have tile down, maybe we could see a wet spot on the slab-you could certainly FEEL the warmth coming through the tile in a 10-foot square area. I was told this was a home owner maintenance issue, figure that out.

So, If I pull up my tile and have a wet spot, does that constitute damage? You think maybe the warmth alone would be enough? Its as if the foundation and underside of the slab are not a part of the house.

So yeah. I'm going to use snail mail and skip the adjustors, who are paid to be honest evaluators of a claim, and go to the people who's income is dependent upon people using them as an insuror.

#3144080 - 01/29/13 03:09 PM Re: HomeSite Homeowners Insurance anyone? [Re: JeepKuntry]
TAFKAP
14 Point

Loc: Memphis

Originally Posted By: JeepKuntry
...Homeowners insurance is protect your from catastrophic loss.

So long as that catastrophic loss doesn't include foundation issues \:D

#3144086 - 01/29/13 03:15 PM Re: HomeSite Homeowners Insurance anyone? [Re: TAFKAP]
JeepKuntry
16 Point

Loc: Clinton, TN

Correct. Structural issues aren't covered. I'm talking things like fire, etc. It doesn't cover earthquake or flood. Those are seperate policies. Ask a couple questions to your agent if your uncertain about something.

DaveB, you can ask to speak to the adjustors supervisor. Besides that your pretty much SOL. Anybody up top will refer this back down to somebody that specializes in claims. There not worried if one customers disagrees on the interpretation. Many people get frustrated when something isn't covered, this won't be the first time there told off, etc. It's sad, but sometimes this is just a sucky part about being a homeowner.

Edited by JeepKuntry (01/29/13 03:17 PM)

#3144122 - 01/29/13 03:41 PM Re: HomeSite Homeowners Insurance anyone? [Re: JeepKuntry]
Hangnail
12 Point

Loc: Murfreesboro, TN

I'm not trying to ruffle your feathers, but if it isn't in your policy, they aren't going to pay for it. Ask the plumber that you used if he's ever done a slab encased residential pipe repair that was paid for by a homeowner's policy. If he has, ask for an address or phone number and talk to the folks. It may help or it may not. When you change insurance companies, I'm sure there are quite a few here that live around the Memphis area that have slab foundations and would like to know if there is a company that will cover foundation plumbing.

As an aside, my neighbor had a pipe burst under his house in the crawl space a couple of winters ago. There was no damage inside the house. It wasn't covered either.

#3144212 - 01/29/13 04:32 PM Re: HomeSite Homeowners Insurance anyone? [Re: Hangnail]
DaveB
10 Point

Look guys, I understand clearly what you are all saying; not in the contract, not covered. My take on the contract is it is not excluded, except by their intrepretation of external versus internal. I promise I will update this thread with the final results. Thanks for all your input and sorry if I got angry there.
Page 1 of 2 12>

Moderator:  RUGER, Unicam, gtk, Tennessee Todd, Lakeland Charlie, Cuttin Caller, CBU93, stretch, TurkeyBurd, MAN, Bobby G, Kimber45, Crappie Luck 
Hop to:
Top Posters
RUGER
Deer Assassin
BSK
Crappie Luck
spitndrum
Newest Members
zatoan, DanParchman3, saddleman1, Jculber301, Mik475
13282 Registered Users
Who's Online
90 registered (ruthunter, callemquacktn, Mudbone, TIGGREM2, downthebrown, woodchuckc, 8 invisible) and 164 anonymous users online.
Forum Stats
13282 Members
42 Forums
93370 Topics
1090293 Posts

Max Online: 788 @ 11/11/13 08:06 PM
Moon Phase
CURRENT MOON
September
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Forum Donations
The TnDeer.Com Deer Talk Forum is for Tennessee Deer Hunters by Tennessee Deer Hunters. If you enjoy using our Talk Forum and would like to contribute to help in it's up-keep. Just submit your contribution by clicking on the DONATE button below and paying with PayPal or a major credit card. Any amount is much appreciated. Thanks for your support!

TN Burn Safe

Generated in 0.178 seconds in which 0.002 seconds were spent on a total of 15 queries. Zlib compression enabled.