Tndeer Logo

Page 4 of 12 « First<23456>Last »
Topic Options
#3143669 - 01/29/13 10:36 AM Re: Boy Scouts discussing end to ban on gay members [Re: Crappie Luck]
MUP
Non-Typical

Loc: Just North of Chatt-town

I'm sure you have a good grasp of what your troop is doing Roger, but it's the ones that don't, and may not be able to see beforehand that may do some damage imo. All in the name of being open minded and accepting. \:\(

Amateurs: Built the Ark

Professionals: Built the Titanic

#3143687 - 01/29/13 10:49 AM Re: Boy Scouts discussing end to ban on gay members [Re: Dodge Man]
MUP
Non-Typical

Loc: Just North of Chatt-town

Call the Boy Scout national council office at 972-580-2000 and urge them to stand firm on the current policy.

Amateurs: Built the Ark

Professionals: Built the Titanic

#3143736 - 01/29/13 11:20 AM Re: Boy Scouts discussing end to ban on gay members [Re: Crappie Luck]
TAFKAP
14 Point

Loc: Memphis

Originally Posted By: Crappie Luck

What are they thinking?

Perhaps this:

The Scouts exist to benefit all boys. They may realize that there are gay kids out there that need the same direction and opportunity as straight kids. Perhaps they're opening their availability to all kids, to extend the same privelages to develop a new generation of folks that appreciate the outdoors and will produce a sense of responsibility, community involvement, and general guidance many kids these days do not have.

Despite your personal objections to their personal lifestyle, gayness is not going away. These kids will grow up to be peers, bosses, employees, neighbors, customers, and bosses of our kids. Shunning the person and sheltering kids from others doesn't offer any long-term rewards and benefits. In reality, it's helping foster the antagonistic mentality that we are constantly and growingly bombarded by. So would you rather create an adversary, or help develop an impressionable kid into the responsible citizen you want your own child to become?

I don't condone the lifestyle by any stretch of the imagination, and I certainly sympathize and agree with the concern that someone will become a militant pusher of the gay agenda. But at the same time, gay Scout leaders are parents of straight kids, as are straight leaders parents of gay kids. They're just as likely to molest your kids as you would be to molest your daughter's friends.

#3143740 - 01/29/13 11:23 AM Re: Boy Scouts discussing end to ban on gay members [Re: MUP]
TAFKAP
14 Point

Besides....the point is that BSA is not forcing anyone to open up to gay members. But in the case of a gay kid that seeks the opportunities Scouting offers, they're allowing indiivdual Troops to decide if it works for them. So when you see a kid swishing down the trails at Philmont, stinky and tired like you, you can cross paths completely assured that your own Troop is just as straight as you are.

#3143799 - 01/29/13 12:07 PM Re: Boy Scouts discussing end to ban on gay members [Re: TAFKAP]
Crappie Luck Moderator
Non-Typical

Loc: Smith Co.

The BSA is also a Private, Christian organization that is responsible for the safety of it's members.

The whole Catholic church problem of pedophile, homosexuals molesting young boys went on for decades. It wasn't a Old man - girl problem. It was an old man - BOY problem.

BSA says "Where can I get me some of THAT?"

How is this different than now allowing straight, adolescent boys go camping with girl scouts?

#3143825 - 01/29/13 12:22 PM Re: Boy Scouts discussing end to ban on gay members [Re: Crappie Luck]
89cherokeelimited
6 Point

Loc: TN, Sumner, Hendersonville

When I was in Boy Scouts we never had to worry about a gay leader or anything.

I would be worried putting a son into a troop and leave them alone with the kids if they had a gay leader.
I have a gay step uncle. I wouldn't leave him in a room with my son for 1 min by themselves.
It would just be uneasy for me to leave young boys with a gay person.
Just my opinion.

#3143836 - 01/29/13 12:29 PM Re: Boy Scouts discussing end to ban on gay members [Re: Crappie Luck]
TAFKAP
14 Point

In the sense that liberals are turning "crime" problems into "gun problems", you are unfairly associating sexual abuse and pedophillia with homosexuality. Banning gays in the church, BSA, or any other organization has not curbed the cases of abuse.

Again, I'm not condoning the lifestyle by any means. But I'm willing to accept that they live among us, so learning how to live side-by-side is a more pragmatic approach in my eyes than pretending that prohibiting their proximity will do anything.

#3143837 - 01/29/13 12:30 PM Re: Boy Scouts discussing end to ban on gay members [Re: TAFKAP]
TAFKAP
14 Point

Pedophiles are also straight, and thtey molest kids anywhere they feel it's necessary.

#3143855 - 01/29/13 12:44 PM Re: Boy Scouts discussing end to ban on gay members [Re: TAFKAP]
89cherokeelimited
6 Point

Loc: TN, Sumner, Hendersonville

They are straight as well but atleast if they announce they are gay I have a heads up to keep my kids away from them.

They live among us but if I ever find out they are gay or pedophile my kids will stay far away from them.

#3143859 - 01/29/13 12:50 PM Re: Boy Scouts discussing end to ban on gay members [Re: TAFKAP]
Dbllunger
10 Point

Loc: Middle Tennessee

How do so many people make the incredibly large leap from Homosexuality to Pedophiles. This boggles my mind.

ig·no·rant
/ˈignərənt/Adjective
1.Lacking knowledge or awareness in general; uneducated or unsophisticated.
2.Lacking knowledge, information, or awareness about something in particular:

By definition, this is ignorant thinking. That is like saying all heterosexual males want to molest young girls. Simply not true.

The boy scouts need to worry more about identifying pedophiles in its organization and getting rid of those people than worrying about people that want to positively affect young lives and just happen to be gay.

And also, I am a devout practicing heterosexual. I don't support a gay lifestyle but am aware enough to realize that sexual orientation doesn't make you a good or bad person.

Page 4 of 12 « First<23456>Last »

Moderator:  RUGER, Unicam, gtk, Tennessee Todd, Lakeland Charlie, Cuttin Caller, CBU93, stretch, TurkeyBurd, MAN, Bobby G, Kimber45, Crappie Luck 
Hop to:
Top Posters
RUGER
Deer Assassin
BSK
Crappie Luck
spitndrum
Newest Members
TnDear, buckslayer85, crose84, Fisher 1959, AKeys
13384 Registered Users
Who's Online
10 registered (scope eye, wirenut, bgrooms, cdw338, backwoods7, wcsd462, 2 invisible) and 65 anonymous users online.
Forum Stats
13384 Members
42 Forums
95879 Topics
1122716 Posts

Max Online: 788 @ 11/11/13 08:06 PM
Moon Phase
CURRENT MOON
October
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Forum Donations
The TnDeer.Com Deer Talk Forum is for Tennessee Deer Hunters by Tennessee Deer Hunters. If you enjoy using our Talk Forum and would like to contribute to help in it's up-keep. Just submit your contribution by clicking on the DONATE button below and paying with PayPal or a major credit card. Any amount is much appreciated. Thanks for your support!

TN Burn Safe

Generated in 0.056 seconds in which 0.002 seconds were spent on a total of 15 queries. Zlib compression enabled.