Topic Options
#3141598 - 01/27/13 06:53 PM Re: Is there such a thing as... [Re: TAFKAP]
Vermin93
12 Point

Loc: Dallas, TX & Signal Mtn, TN

shocked Online
 Originally Posted By: TAFKAP
 Originally Posted By: Bad_Deer24
Tightening your scope rings TOO much? I'm giving my rifle a good cleaning and tightening everything up. Can I get the screws too tight?

Yes....I'd imagine that the worst you will do is strip out the rings. I can't imagine generating enough compression to compromise the scope tube itself.

You'd be surprised. Depending on the scope manufacturer and scope model, it is definitely possible to damage the tube from excess tightening.

Two Common Scope-Mounting Mistakes

#3141751 - 01/27/13 08:35 PM Re: Is there such a thing as... [Re: Vermin93]
BlackBelt
10 Point

Loc: SouthWest TN

Most steel rings require 15-18 lbs of torque by mfgrs spec.
I use a 5-150lb torque wrench from Harbor Freight that was $10 w/coupon...normally $39.99.
But i have put literally hundreds of scope rings on scopes without a torque wrench. I just did them by feel. A drop of blue loc-tite on each screw will prevent them from loosening up.

#3141785 - 01/27/13 09:05 PM Re: Is there such a thing as... [Re: BlackBelt]
Bowdacious
Skillet
16 Point

Loc: over here

I don't suppose I'll worry too much about it. Arthritis makes sure I can't hand tighten very good anymore. \:\)

There is a difference between being proud and being conceited

Beware the skillet ---O

#3141910 - 01/27/13 10:50 PM Re: Is there such a thing as... [Re: Bowdacious]
Squiggs
4 Point

Loc: Bartlett, TN

From the DNZ website;

"Then snug all screws, make sure the bolt will still slide. After you snug the screws you can start tightening them up. An easy way to do this if you do not have a torque wrench will be - Insert the short end of the L allen wrench into the head of the screw. With one thumb push down on the L allen wrench into the top of the screw head, keep pushing down with your thumb and with your other thumb turn the end of the wrench and tighten until it starts to flex or bend. When it starts to flex or bend, hold in place for 3 to 5 seconds. Do the same for all base screws. Then go back to each screw and do it again, like tightening lugs on a car wheel. This will lock the screws in place and it will not come loose. This will give you about 20 to 25 inch pounds of torque."

#3142007 - 01/28/13 06:02 AM Re: Is there such a thing as... [Re: TAFKAP]
BlountArrow
10 Point

Loc: SouthEast Tenn

Yes....I'd imagine that the worst you will do is strip out the rings. I can't imagine generating enough compression to compromise the scope tube itself.

More often than not you're right, but believe it or not I have seen many scopes with indentions in the aluminum tube from where the rings were probably not exactly straight whether it be from machining or the person that put them on and they were over tightened. I've seen screw heads break off before they strip out in most cases (equally bad of course if not worse). I worked in a gun shop for 7+ years through high school and college.

#3142016 - 01/28/13 06:13 AM Re: Is there such a thing as... [Re: BlountArrow]
stik
"Popcorn"
18 Point

Loc: lenoir city,tn

Originally Posted By: BlountArrow

More often than not you're right, but believe it or not I have seen many scopes with indentions in the aluminum tube from where the rings were probably not exactly straight whether it be from machining or the person that put them on and they were over tightened. I've seen screw heads break off before they strip out in most cases (equally bad of course if not worse). I worked in a gun shop for 7+ years through high school and college.

i have seen scopes damaged by overtightened rings.

nothing makes a fish bigger than almost being caught

#3143390 - 01/29/13 06:48 AM Re: Is there such a thing as... [Re: stik]
square
TnDeer Old Timer
4 Point

Loc: Collierville

Different brands of mounts use different sizes of screws so the recommended torque varies from brand to brand. You can strip or break screws and damage the tube on a variable scope if you tighten too much. Ever wonder why it is harder to adjust the power on some variable power scopes?
Page 2 of 2 <12

Moderator:  RUGER, Unicam, gtk, Tennessee Todd, Lakeland Charlie, Cuttin Caller, CBU93, stretch, TurkeyBurd, MAN, Bobby G, Kimber45, Crappie Luck 
Hop to:
Top Posters
RUGER
Deer Assassin
BSK
Crappie Luck
spitndrum
Newest Members
Mik475, AaronB, Bad Wolf, jw3783, Jesse91
13278 Registered Users
Who's Online
140 registered (Team Passintime, leebowhunts, slagtown_dfa, shelbydeer, bigtex, mfisher, 17 invisible) and 166 anonymous users online.
Forum Stats
13278 Members
42 Forums
93189 Topics
1088442 Posts

Max Online: 788 @ 11/11/13 08:06 PM
Moon Phase
CURRENT MOON
September
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Forum Donations
The TnDeer.Com Deer Talk Forum is for Tennessee Deer Hunters by Tennessee Deer Hunters. If you enjoy using our Talk Forum and would like to contribute to help in it's up-keep. Just submit your contribution by clicking on the DONATE button below and paying with PayPal or a major credit card. Any amount is much appreciated. Thanks for your support!

TN Burn Safe

Generated in 0.113 seconds in which 0.001 seconds were spent on a total of 15 queries. Zlib compression enabled.