Tndeer Logo

Page 2 of 3 <123>
Topic Options
#3143182 - 01/28/13 09:58 PM Re: Coon hunters [Re: SilverFox]
TeamMainStreet
8 Point

Loc: Union County,Tn

Turn him into a straight possum dog. Plenty of possums and will usually tree pretty quick. I thought about doing that.

Tri-Tronics will work. You will either turn him into straight up coonhound or he won't be fit to feed. It's 50/50

Dont tread on me

#3143201 - 01/28/13 10:14 PM Re: Coon hunters [Re: TeamMainStreet]
gasman
8 Point

Loc: South of the Hatchie

May be just time to move on. Heck I've hunted her 20 times treed 3 coons 12 possum and 4 slick trees. Dang she trees hard tho. At least I get to hear a good chase tho.

Hunt Hard. Pray Harder.

#3143209 - 01/28/13 10:17 PM Re: Coon hunters [Re: gasman]
SilverFox
12 Point

Loc: Kodak TN

How old is the dog?

#3143223 - 01/28/13 10:25 PM Re: Coon hunters [Re: SilverFox]
gasman
8 Point

Loc: South of the Hatchie

She's 4 maybe 5...

Hunt Hard. Pray Harder.

#3143228 - 01/28/13 10:35 PM Re: Coon hunters [Re: gasman]
SharpEyeGirl
8 Point

Loc: West Tennessee

Originally Posted By: gasman
She's 4 maybe 5...

If she does tree coons a shock collar is what you need. When she gets on a possum give her a pop with the collar. If she don't get the picture shock her til she cant move with that collar then grab her and give her a kick in the rear and tell her to get on somewhere. If she don't learn after a couple of times ain't no hope.

I have heard other things like put a possum and the dog in a barrel and roll them down a hill lol

With a deer let the dog out when you know or have seen deer and the second that dog opens up lay um down with that shock collar.

'PR' Elmore's Pumped Up Cricket

If you ain't never come down with this disease, you ain't ever
climbed up in a tree!

#3143229 - 01/28/13 10:39 PM Re: Coon hunters [Re: gasman]
gator-n-buck
WAFL
18 Point

Loc: Knox, TN / Palatka, FL

Originally Posted By: gasman
She's 4 maybe 5...

Time to cut bait and move on...... I would give the same advice if this dog was 2.....

#3143234 - 01/28/13 10:47 PM Re: Coon hunters [Re: gator-n-buck]
SilverFox
12 Point

I'm totally against SEG's way of training a dog. Shock collars are not made to be used that way. No wonder PETA and other groups dislike the hunter so much.

The only way you should ever hit a dog that hard with a shock collar is if they are in danger like running towards a road or attacking someone. It doesn't take much to make a dog understand. Collars are used to enforce training, not train. They have to know what they are getting the shock for. You will totally mess up a dog using the collar wrong. Send it too many times in my 35 years of coon hunting.

#3143247 - 01/28/13 10:59 PM Re: Coon hunters [Re: SilverFox]
SilverFox
12 Point

At 4 - 5 its going to be a tough road. If you have somewhere you can put out feeders and get her on some hot tracks it's possible to break her. Of course you have to get her excited and pet her up good after shooting the coons out to her. Using the shock collar ethically is the key if you try to break her off possums.

Possums usually tree fast... Within a few minutes if your dog has any speed. Hunting dogs where the coon numbers are low can cause a dog that would not normally tree a possum to do it. If they hunt 30 minutes and don't hit a track they will pick up a possum, cat or deer if they are not hard broke. Good luck, youre gonna need it at that age. I've seen it done at 2-3 but it's not an easy task. If your dog will come when called, try hunting her close instead of letting her hunt wide... Making several cast.

#3143261 - 01/28/13 11:25 PM Re: Coon hunters [Re: SilverFox]
gator-n-buck
WAFL
18 Point

Loc: Knox, TN / Palatka, FL

Originally Posted By: SilverFox
I'm totally against SEG's way of training a dog. Shock collars are not made to be used that way. No wonder PETA and other groups dislike the hunter so much.

The only way you should ever hit a dog that hard with a shock collar is if they are in danger like running towards a road or attacking someone. It doesn't take much to make a dog understand. Collars are used to enforce training, not train. They have to know what they are getting the shock for. You will totally mess up a dog using the collar wrong. Send it too many times in my 35 years of coon hunting.

X2

#3143280 - 01/28/13 11:43 PM Re: Coon hunters [Re: SilverFox]
SharpEyeGirl
8 Point

Loc: West Tennessee

Originally Posted By: SilverFox

Don't take much to make them understand? Your dog understand english or something lol? If you have corrected the dog and they know better than to run trash and they still keep running, they don't make that high stimulation for nothing. All I'm saying is if my dog gets after a deer and acts stupidly stubborn I'm gunna pop her good with it if I have already corrected her for it and she knows better. But each to his own. Never shocked a dog like that but I figure that's just one way to get it in a stubborn dogs head.

But ill just shut up from now on don't want the PETA people after me!

'PR' Elmore's Pumped Up Cricket

If you ain't never come down with this disease, you ain't ever
climbed up in a tree!

Page 2 of 3 <123>

Moderator:  RUGER, Unicam, gtk, Tennessee Todd, Lakeland Charlie, Cuttin Caller, CBU93, stretch, TurkeyBurd, MAN, Bobby G, Kimber45, Crappie Luck 
Hop to:
Top Posters
RUGER
Deer Assassin
BSK
Crappie Luck
spitndrum
Newest Members
Litemup80, five by five, Doe1961, OfficerBuck, rapalabuck
13311 Registered Users
Who's Online
75 registered (waynesworld, gobblegrunt, Bassman1971, archer19, Phil1979, Bow Hunter, 9 invisible) and 116 anonymous users online.
Forum Stats
13311 Members
42 Forums
94111 Topics
1099567 Posts

Max Online: 788 @ 11/11/13 08:06 PM
Moon Phase
CURRENT MOON
October
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Forum Donations
The TnDeer.Com Deer Talk Forum is for Tennessee Deer Hunters by Tennessee Deer Hunters. If you enjoy using our Talk Forum and would like to contribute to help in it's up-keep. Just submit your contribution by clicking on the DONATE button below and paying with PayPal or a major credit card. Any amount is much appreciated. Thanks for your support!

TN Burn Safe

Generated in 0.136 seconds in which 0.001 seconds were spent on a total of 15 queries. Zlib compression enabled.