Tndeer Logo

Page 2 of 3 <123>
Topic Options
#3142152 - 01/28/13 09:00 AM Re: Wyoming Antelope and Mule Deer [Re: Poser]
trealtree
16 Point

Loc: Middle Tennessee

Originally Posted By: Poser
when the antelope season opens on Oct 1, id that any weapon?

Depends on where you hunt, each unit sometimes has a different opening date.

#3142169 - 01/28/13 09:12 AM Re: Wyoming Antelope and Mule Deer [Re: trealtree]
Poser
Mud Dauber
16 Point

Loc: Tennessee

Originally Posted By: trealtree

Ok, but is the Antelope season, once it is open, any weapon? I looked at the WY regs and I did not see any weapon restrictions listed.

Wild & crazy, can't be stopped. Only the strong will survive.

Keep your knife sharp and your skillet greasy.

http://www.GoCarnivore.com

#3142193 - 01/28/13 09:23 AM Re: Wyoming Antelope and Mule Deer [Re: Poser]
nate17
8 Point

Loc: Missouri

Ive been to wyoming twice now.

Get ready to see a lot of deer, and dont pound the first 130" muley that walks by because he will look big if youve never seen one in person.

We always bow hunted. I would recommend carrying an extra lock on or 2 to save you from having to move and tweak stand locations more often than necessary.

We mostly hunted alfalfa bottoms and the deer sometimes will bed literally right off the field. So most evening stands will be close to to food source and most morning stands will probably have to be back off the field a ways to avoid tipping all your deer off.

Hard to pack so much information on here, but those are just a few quick hitters that came to mind for me.

#3142376 - 01/28/13 11:54 AM Re: Wyoming Antelope and Mule Deer [Re: Poser]
trealtree
16 Point

Loc: Middle Tennessee

Ok, but is the Antelope season, once it is open, any weapon? I looked at the WY regs and I did not see any weapon restrictions listed.

yes it's any legal weapon when open.

#3142393 - 01/28/13 12:18 PM Re: Wyoming Antelope and Mule Deer [Re: trealtree]
Poser
Mud Dauber
16 Point

yes it's any legal weapon when open.

Cool. This is 100% on my radar. I did some climbing in the Wind River range back in the summer of 2002. I have been really itching to return ever since and a Antelope hunt sounds very enticing.

#3142518 - 01/28/13 01:47 PM Re: Wyoming Antelope and Mule Deer [Re: Poser]
bowriter
Non-Typical

Loc: Lebanon,TN USA

I always advise getting in shape bvut for lopes and mulies, it may not be bad at all. The best hunting for goats is on relatively flat land. Mulies can vary. If it is a combination hunt, I suspect it will not be bad at all.

Where are you going and what time of year?

The advice on not shooting the first one you see may or may not be good. It would depend on what you see. If you are blind hunting for lopes, the first one you see may well be the one to shoot. If it is a guided hunt, just listen to your guide.

Much of WY is flat as a pancake. If you are bowhunting, a range finder is almost a must. This is pretty typical antelope country.

Constipation has ruined many a good day. Not as many as stupidity, though.

#3142528 - 01/28/13 01:55 PM Re: Wyoming Antelope and Mule Deer [Re: Poser]
Poser
Mud Dauber
16 Point

If I were looking to do this as backcountry and a DIY as possible, you think it would be feasible to arrange for pack horses just to pack me out? In other words, I'm intending to do, say, a 5 day hunt, could I arrange for pack animals to meet me at X on a certain day? If so, what do you expect that service would cost? ~$600-800?

#3142599 - 01/28/13 02:54 PM Re: Wyoming Antelope and Mule Deer [Re: Poser]
bowriter
Non-Typical

Loc: Lebanon,TN USA

If I were looking to do this as backcountry and a DIY as possible, you think it would be feasible to arrange for pack horses just to pack me out? In other words, I'm intending to do, say, a 5 day hunt, could I arrange for pack animals to meet me at X on a certain day? If so, what do you expect that service would cost? ~$600-800?

Here is how you get all the information you need. Call Jake Clark at 307/754-4820. Tell him I sent you. He can answer every question you have about the whole hunt.

Constipation has ruined many a good day. Not as many as stupidity, though.

#3142973 - 01/28/13 07:35 PM Re: Wyoming Antelope and Mule Deer [Re: Poser]
BAMA BOW MERKER
6 Point

Loc: Dyer County, TN

We are staying at a friends place in Atlantic City. We applied for areas 91,90, and 65. We will be gun hunting but il will also bring my bow in case the opportunity will be available. I appreciate all the help guys. I joined the gym last week so this is just one more motivation factor. I'll be running down speedgoats in no time!

#3143082 - 01/28/13 08:47 PM Re: Wyoming Antelope and Mule Deer [Re: BAMA BOW MERKER]
chip
6 Point

Loc: spring hill

1 Rangefinder is a must
2 Good set of binoculars the best you can afford 10x42 is a good size with a bino harness . I used mine all day every day I even forgot I had them on half the time .
3 A good spotting scope is a must to judge animals at long distance .
4 A good backpack or a pack frame . It's the only way to get an animal out of most places . Dragging a 300 lb muley is out of the question .
5 A small tarp or thick plastic to cut , cape and quater your animal on to keep it clean .
6 A bipod for your rifle and lots of practice at longer ranges .
7 Bring a good camera and video camera lots of beautiful country .
8 Buy doe antelope tags the meat is excellent . Skin , quarter and put on ice asap and don't let the hair get on the meat .
9 Be patient behind your binoculars and spotting scope they can hide better than you think . We shot an antelpope at 500 yds and between us and him was a small little ditch . At the shot atleast ten muledeer jumped up and took off we had no clue they were there .

Page 2 of 3 <123>

Moderator:  RUGER, Unicam, gtk, Tennessee Todd, Lakeland Charlie, Cuttin Caller, CBU93, stretch, TurkeyBurd, MAN, Bobby G, Kimber45, Crappie Luck 
Hop to:
Top Posters
RUGER
Deer Assassin
BSK
Crappie Luck
spitndrum
Newest Members
LHanks24, Tkicm, Jingaling, colthutch, Pony Boy
13560 Registered Users
Who's Online
159 registered (Vermin93, TNReb, varmint1111, whackmaster, CATCHDAWG, Ranchy, 14 invisible) and 281 anonymous users online.
Forum Stats
13560 Members
43 Forums
99523 Topics
1170798 Posts

Max Online: 788 @ 11/11/13 08:06 PM
Moon Phase
CURRENT MOON
November
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
2 3 4 5 6 7 8
9 10 11 12 13 14 15
16 17 18 19 20 21 22
23 24 25 26 27 28 29
Forum Donations
The TnDeer.Com Deer Talk Forum is for Tennessee Deer Hunters by Tennessee Deer Hunters. If you enjoy using our Talk Forum and would like to contribute to help in it's up-keep. Just submit your contribution by clicking on the DONATE button below and paying with PayPal or a major credit card. Any amount is much appreciated. Thanks for your support!

TN Burn Safe

Generated in 0.044 seconds in which 0.001 seconds were spent on a total of 15 queries. Zlib compression enabled.