Tndeer Logo

Page 3 of 8 <12345>Last »
Topic Options
#3142629 - 01/28/13 03:18 PM Re: Hunting Shows [Re: PinchPoint]
dh1984
10 Point

Loc: union county tennessee

Originally Posted By: Heli-Hunter
I cannot stand when im watching a show where somebody makes a bad shot, sometimes awful. Whether it be a gut shot or right in the hind quarters... Then they look at the camera and say " I hit him just a LIL farther back than I wanted" Its plain as day you made a bad shot, Just own up to it!
Sorry had to rant about this

I seen that more and more on hunting shows. and that's the reason i hardly ever watch them any more.

#3142664 - 01/28/13 03:43 PM Re: Hunting Shows [Re: dh1984]
WRbowhunter
8 Point

Loc: collierville,tn

i agree. Why not say "man I lucked up as I hit a bad shot on that one" just say what it is and move on.

#3142759 - 01/28/13 04:50 PM Re: Hunting Shows [Re: WRbowhunter]
mathews338
12 Point

Loc: jackson co.

there are only a few shows that tell it like it is. i have seen a few that the guy really acts mad at hisself for making a bad hit and you can tell they feel bad about it and these are the shows i watch. i stay away from the rest.
#3142788 - 01/28/13 05:15 PM Re: Hunting Shows [Re: mathews338]
PinchPoint
8 Point

Loc: Knoxville Tn

Originally Posted By: mathews338
there are only a few shows that tell it like it is. i have seen a few that the guy really acts mad at hisself for making a bad hit and you can tell they feel bad about it and these are the shows i watch. i stay away from the rest.
I just know the few times its happened to me I was absolutely sick to my stomach. definitely not givin people high-fives and all fired up.

Genesis 27:3

#3142813 - 01/28/13 05:40 PM Re: Hunting Shows [Re: PinchPoint]
CAW
6 Point

Loc: Huntsville, AL

I've done a good bit of filming, mainly for personal use, youtube, etc., and I'll tell you this - it aint as easy as it looks, especially if you are trying to film yourself. As a matter of fact, it's very, very difficult.

As far as bad shots go, sometimes those are obvious and the guy on TV would be better suited to just admitting that he made a bad shot. Other times, you can see the hit on TV much better than the hunter did when he made the actual shot (trust me, it's true). And unlike hollywood, they only get one take on a kill shot, whatever happens, happens. Sometimes things just go wrong, but it is what it is.

And the commercials and "selling stuff"? Well, they do have to pay the bills. Call up the Outdoor Channel and ask what a 30 minute time slot costs. How about $5K-$10K a week? Then, you have production costs, editing, expenses, etc. After everything is said and done, it can go well over $500K for a 26 week season. And keep in mind, that a lot of these shows and the overall competition between shows and within the hunting industry is what brings a lot of new ideas and products to market.

The hunting industry is tough. Some guys make it look easy, some have unlimited resources and others are just getting by and having some fun. I'd cut em a little slack and if you don't like something in particular, shoot em an email or post on their Facebook page. And of course, you can always just turn the channel.

#3142834 - 01/28/13 05:56 PM Re: Hunting Shows [Re: CAW]
PinchPoint
8 Point

Originally Posted By: CAW
I've done a good bit of filming, mainly for personal use, youtube, etc., and I'll tell you this - it aint as easy as it looks, especially if you are trying to film yourself. As a matter of fact, it's very, very difficult.

As far as bad shots go, sometimes those are obvious and the guy on TV would be better suited to just admitting that he made a bad shot. Other times, you can see the hit on TV much better than the hunter did when he made the actual shot (trust me, it's true). And unlike hollywood, they only get one take on a kill shot, whatever happens, happens. Sometimes things just go wrong, but it is what it is.

And the commercials and "selling stuff"? Well, they do have to pay the bills. Call up the Outdoor Channel and ask what a 30 minute time slot costs. How about $5K-$10K a week? Then, you have production costs, editing, expenses, etc. After everything is said and done, it can go well over $500K for a 26 week season. And keep in mind, that a lot of these shows and the overall competition between shows and within the hunting industry is what brings a lot of new ideas and products to market.

The hunting industry is tough. Some guys make it look easy, some have unlimited resources and others are just getting by and having some fun. I'd cut em a little slack and if you don't like something in particular, shoot em an email or post on their Facebook page. And of course, you can always just turn the channel.
I film too, and I never once said it was easy... I simply said if its obvious that you made a bad shot, you should own up to it, not lie about it to make yourself look good.

#3142853 - 01/28/13 06:17 PM Re: Hunting Shows [Re: PinchPoint]
bowriter
Non-Typical

Loc: Lebanon,TN USA

I have been in front of the camera and I have been behind the camera. I have been involcved in the production and editing and marketing.

There is no excuse for some of the things I have seen and heard. You know when you made a bad shot. If you don't, you have no business in the business. A spine shot is just that. Why call it anything else. In 99% of the cases, it is a pure accident. Why not admit it?

Most outdoor television today is just plain deplorable and disgusting. I fully understand the costs and the need for commercials. I have no objection to that. In some cases, that is the best of the show.

Constipation has ruined many a good day. Not as many as stupidity, though.

#3142856 - 01/28/13 06:20 PM Re: Hunting Shows [Re: bowriter]
PinchPoint
8 Point

Originally Posted By: bowriter
I have been in front of the camera and I have been behind the camera. I have been involcved in the production and editing and marketing.

There is no excuse for some of the things I have seen and heard. You know when you made a bad shot. If you don't, you have no business in the business. A spine shot is just that. Why call it anything else. In 99% of the cases, it is a pure accident. Why not admit it?

Most outdoor television today is just plain deplorable and disgusting. I fully understand the costs and the need for commercials. I have no objection to that. In some cases, that is the best of the show.
Agreed!

Edited by Heli-Hunter (01/28/13 06:20 PM)

#3142909 - 01/28/13 06:53 PM Re: Hunting Shows [Re: CAW]
Coach
16 Point

Loc: Pall Mall, TN and Dexter, MI

Originally Posted By: CAW

It's possible that the cost of these shows is actually their own worst enemy. Despite the difficulty involved and the cost...I'd rather watch a hunting or fishing show on PBS than any of the commercialized shows nowadays. It seems to me all of the outdoor channel type shows spend more time trying to out do the others that they have lost their own identity...surely, they didn't start off hunting to end up being so shallow and fake...

Michigan Out of Doors, Buck LaVasseur from the Upper Peninsula,etc...all free, all PBS and all good..Mort Neff brought character and poise, Howard Shelly and so many more brought new products in a folksy hunting type manner...I may just be an old fart who enjoys this but the integrity of the shows was intact...Even Fred Trost pulled no punches...It was quaint, it was deer campish, it was tradition...

Edited by Coach (01/28/13 07:03 PM)

Dean Business Supply, Llc

http://www.adam4d.com

#3143080 - 01/28/13 08:45 PM Re: Hunting Shows [Re: Coach]
morgancountry
4 Point

Loc: wartburg, tn

The only one I watch religiously and record is Meat Eater. Steve Rinella is the real deal, his book was pretty good too.
Page 3 of 8 <12345>Last »

Moderator:  RUGER, Tennessee Todd, Unicam, Cuttin Caller, CBU93, stretch, Bobby G, TurkeyBurd, Kimber45, Mrs.Unicam, Crappie Luck 
Hop to:
Top Posters
RUGER
Deer Assassin
BSK
Crappie Luck
spitndrum
Newest Members
bootsinsand, bigun714, clh200, tlwilliams, Forvols
13179 Registered Users
Who's Online
107 registered (fatboy, Country1, grolfesst, taximan, volunteer1, Deer Assassin, 14 invisible) and 119 anonymous users online.
Forum Stats
13179 Members
42 Forums
90980 Topics
1063188 Posts

Max Online: 788 @ 11/11/13 08:06 PM
Moon Phase
CURRENT MOON
August
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Forum Donations
The TnDeer.Com Deer Talk Forum is for Tennessee Deer Hunters by Tennessee Deer Hunters. If you enjoy using our Talk Forum and would like to contribute to help in it's up-keep. Just submit your contribution by clicking on the DONATE button below and paying with PayPal or a major credit card. Any amount is much appreciated. Thanks for your support!

TN Burn Safe

Generated in 0.063 seconds in which 0.001 seconds were spent on a total of 15 queries. Zlib compression enabled.