Tndeer Logo

Page 1 of 2 12>
Topic Options
#3142311 - 01/28/13 10:57 AM Modern Bowhunting
Poser
Mud Dauber
16 Point

Loc: Tennessee

http://www.bowhunting.com/blog/2013/1/28/todays-bowhunter-have-we-lost-our-way/?page=1

Wild & crazy, can't be stopped. Only the strong will survive.

Keep your knife sharp and your skillet greasy.

http://www.GoCarnivore.com

#3142445 - 01/28/13 12:51 PM Re: Modern Bowhunting [Re: Poser]
Football Hunter
Non-Typical

Loc: Wilson Co/Perry Co

I guess,"back in the day",any deer with a bow was a "trophy".Maybe to some today,but where I hunt,its pretty easy for me to kill several does,and if I chose,small bucks every year with a bow.Its cool,and I like hunting with a bow,but "any deer" killed with a bow is not really a trophy to me anymore.

Happens too often,easy enough to do,people who hunt around fewer deer may differ.

You wont know,if you dont go!

#3142523 - 01/28/13 01:53 PM Re: Modern Bowhunting [Re: Football Hunter]
BowGuy84
10 Point

Loc: Nashville, TN and Louisville, ...

I clebrate and enjoy every deer I kill, but they aren't the same.

I kill several does on public ground each year. This year I killed deer my first 4 sits in a stand. Passed over 25 deer with a bow. Trophy bucks (3.5 and large antlered-PY Gross) are a different ball game entirely.

#3142745 - 01/28/13 04:46 PM Re: Modern Bowhunting [Re: BowGuy84]
mathews338
10 Point

Loc: jackson co.

i have fun shooting any deer with a bow and i always kill a couple does. most guys i know around here could tag out on does and small bucks the first few weeks of bow season. only mature bucks get me real excited with a bow or gun.
#3142914 - 01/28/13 06:59 PM Re: Modern Bowhunting [Re: mathews338]
birddog
12 Point

Loc: Seymour, TN

I love to kill deer with a bow. to me its just plain fun. I killed 5 this year. but i did not shoot any bucks. i was waiting on one i would be happy with.
#3143322 - 01/29/13 05:00 AM Re: Modern Bowhunting [Re: birddog]
10 Point

Loc: Tennessee

Totally agree with everyone on this.
I did not used to agree, but now things are different FOR ME.

But this statement holds true for most bowhunters I know.
If you are hunting high pressured, human wary deer, ANY deer taken at close range, is a "trophy".

I have hunted deer and turkey in places that were so plentiful and so relaxed I almost felt like I was shooting someones pet. It did not feel like much of a "trophy" to me because I felt I had not "earned" it. All these places had one commonality, they were on private land managed for deer and had low hunter pressure.

I still think any deer at any given time that I kill with a bow might be a trophy, depending on the circumstances of the kill.
But every deer I kill is still very exciting and when it stops being fun, I will do something else.

Every season I usually have a list of needy families who want venison. Also Tn. HFTH wants deer meat. So, I feel like hey, I like killing deer with a bow, I don't mind sharing my blessings.

So last Halloween, I was sitting in a stand with 4 tags in my pocket. One was a buck tag. I could see my truck.
The parade started about 9 AM and just kept coming. 18 deer sightings later I had made 26, 31, 32, and 30 yard shots on 3 does and a 107 inch 8 point.
I was hunting Public high pressured ground.

I was back at the cabin about dark. It was a long day.

I still think that for most "new" hunters, any deer taken by bow is a trophy. Simply because I still remember the nerves involved and self control needed to make the shot. Certainly a challenge.`

And I also believe that any deer taken at close range that has learned to avoid humans (usually public land deer mature much earlier in this respect because of human encounters) wether a 2.5 year old or a 5.5 + year old, is still a trophy.
SCAPAS.stay calm and pick a spot.

#3143581 - 01/29/13 09:29 AM Re: Modern Bowhunting [Re: 102]
catman529
spiderboy
16 Point

Loc: Franklin TN

I just started bow hunting recently and to me every deer with a bow is a trophy. I shoot a compound but not the newest or most advanced. I enjoy killing does very much, to me it's deer hunting and not just big buck hunting. I usually pass younger bucks but that is preference and its not to beat my chest or anything. I just like to try and get an older buck if I can. And when the bucks aren't showing ill gladly shoot that momma doe that ventures too close to my stand. It's a thrill hearing the arrow hit home and watching the deer go in a death run. Last one I killed with a bow went down in plain sight which was awesome. Hopefully I won't get caught up in the modern bow hunting craze that the article talks about. I like to enjoy being in the woods shooting stuff with arrows...

#3143587 - 01/29/13 09:34 AM Re: Modern Bowhunting [Re: mathews338]
catman529
spiderboy
16 Point

Loc: Franklin TN

Originally Posted By: mathews338
i have fun shooting any deer with a bow and i always kill a couple does. most guys i know around here could tag out on does and small bucks the first few weeks of bow season. only mature bucks get me real excited with a bow or gun.
 Originally Posted By: mathews338
mature does get me excited too. The oldest looking doe I saw this past season was the wariest deer I saw in the woods and she had a big deep brisket and just looked like an old deer. She was a lot more alert and spooky than the horny 5.5 year old buck that I shot with my bow. He was too busy following does and getting pissed off at the young buck nearby. I guess that's what hormones do to the deer lol.

#3143668 - 01/29/13 10:36 AM Re: Modern Bowhunting [Re: catman529]
WRbowhunter
8 Point

Loc: collierville,tn

Sometimes I get a little tired of hearing about the "good ol days".We have more deer now then ever. Its certainly a lot easier to pass on deer when there are more around. It's also a lot easier with food plots and game cameras to let us know what deer are in the area and even pattern them without doing much tree time. If that is what makes it fun for you then why not. Also if you want to buy a new bow every year because that's what you enjoy then who cares. The writer whines because he did not kill a monster after a week long trophy hunt. Poor Baby. Sorry just tired of people patting themselfs on the back because they have now seen the Light.

Sometimes killing deer is easy. climb in a tree. shoot a deer and climb down. But other times. well the other times its called hunting.

#3143916 - 01/29/13 01:28 PM Re: Modern Bowhunting [Re: catman529]
Redfred16
8 Point

Loc: Hartland, WI

Originally Posted By: catman529
I just started bow hunting recently and to me every deer with a bow is a trophy. I shoot a compound but not the newest or most advanced. I enjoy killing does very much, to me it's deer hunting and not just big buck hunting. I usually pass younger bucks but that is preference and its not to beat my chest or anything. I just like to try and get an older buck if I can. And when the bucks aren't showing ill gladly shoot that momma doe that ventures too close to my stand. It's a thrill hearing the arrow hit home and watching the deer go in a death run. Last one I killed with a bow went down in plain sight which was awesome. Hopefully I won't get caught up in the modern bow hunting craze that the article talks about. I like to enjoy being in the woods shooting stuff with arrows...

I'm kind of in the the same boat. I tried bow hunting a few times as a kid, old 55lb Bear recurve kicked my butt a few times, I think my wrist is forver internally bruised from the string slapping me. But just started deer hunting again 4 years ago and bow hunting 2 years ago.

I find any deer exciting, when they are in range even more so and watch out if its a buck, my heart starts racing no matter how old.

I've only killed a a handful with my bow and regardless of sex or age it's the best "rush" ever, far more than any I felt with a gun. Someday I do hope to kill a real monster of a buck, but till then I'll be happy as long as I'm seeing deer and eating venison I killed.

"Recon Ready"
Airborne and Air Assault Blood Wings Worn Here

Page 1 of 2 12>

Moderator:  RUGER, Tennessee Todd, Unicam, Cuttin Caller, CBU93, stretch, Bobby G, Outdoor Lady, TurkeyBurd, Kimber45, Kirk, Crappie Luck 
Hop to:
Top Posters
RUGER
Deer Assassin
BSK
Crappie Luck
spitndrum
Newest Members
Amy pesterfield, Blood seeker, fghijk604245, top_of_the_foodchain, infantryleadtheway
13288 Registered Users
Who's Online
11 registered (sgtwebb1, 416wbymag, FLTENNHUNTER1, leader, garry, BuckDropper, 1 invisible) and 86 anonymous users online.
Forum Stats
13288 Members
42 Forums
85366 Topics
1031524 Posts

Max Online: 788 @ 11/11/13 08:06 PM
Moon Phase
CURRENT MOON
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5
6 7 8 9 10 11 12
13 14 15 16 17 18 19
20 21 22 23 24 25 26
27 28 29 30
Forum Donations
The TnDeer.Com Deer Talk Forum is for Tennessee Deer Hunters by Tennessee Deer Hunters. If you enjoy using our Talk Forum and would like to contribute to help in it's up-keep. Just submit your contribution by clicking on the DONATE button below and paying with PayPal or a major credit card. Any amount is much appreciated. Thanks for your support!

TN Burn Safe

Generated in 0.228 seconds in which 0.001 seconds were spent on a total of 15 queries. Zlib compression enabled.