Tndeer Logo

Page all of 8 12345>Last »
Topic Options
#3141645 - 01/27/13 07:24 PM Hunting Shows
PinchPoint
8 Point

Loc: Knoxville Tn

I cannot stand when im watching a show where somebody makes a bad shot, sometimes awful. Whether it be a gut shot or right in the hind quarters... Then they look at the camera and say " I hit him just a LIL farther back than I wanted" Its plain as day you made a bad shot, Just own up to it!
Sorry had to rant about this

Genesis 27:3

#3141676 - 01/27/13 07:48 PM Re: Hunting Shows [Re: PinchPoint]
RUGER Administrator
Bambi Killa
Non-Typical

Loc: TN

My favorite is when they hit it high in the spine and they give the fist pump and say YES!!! That xyz broadhead dropped him in his TRACKS !! \:D

#3141688 - 01/27/13 07:56 PM Re: Hunting Shows [Re: RUGER]
PinchPoint
8 Point

Originally Posted By: RUGER
My favorite is when they hit it high in the spine and they give the fist pump and say YES!!! That xyz broadhead dropped him in his TRACKS !! \:D

LOL Yep! And these guys are "Professionals" \:D

#3141938 - 01/27/13 11:34 PM Re: Hunting Shows [Re: PinchPoint]
freebird
Button

Loc: tn

I've got mixed feelings about hunting shows.Lots of trying to sell stuff you never need and the general silliness of some of the host.
#3141945 - 01/27/13 11:50 PM Re: Hunting Shows [Re: freebird]
catman529
spiderboy
16 Point

Loc: Franklin TN

I saw one where he shot a deer at 105 YARDS and the arrow hit the hind quarters and the buck didn't run far... must have been an artery shot... dang lucky and he should not have taken that shot ever.

#3141948 - 01/28/13 12:03 AM Re: Hunting Shows [Re: catman529]
PinchPoint
8 Point

Originally Posted By: catman529
I saw one where he shot a deer at 105 YARDS and the arrow hit the hind quarters and the buck didn't run far... must have been an artery shot... dang lucky and he should not have taken that shot ever.
Think ive seen that one too! Big cut corn field?

#3142034 - 01/28/13 06:34 AM Re: Hunting Shows [Re: PinchPoint]
pick-a-spot
Spike

Loc: Tennessee

Jaw dropped and just shook my head at one where the "hunters" sat in their ground blind 50yds from the feeder watching deer with numbered ear tags.

#3142040 - 01/28/13 06:42 AM Re: Hunting Shows [Re: pick-a-spot]
Coach
16 Point

Loc: Pall Mall, TN and Dexter, MI

Hahaha....shootin' 'em in the butt and saying they shot back a little further than they wanted to!!! I really only watch one and I tvo that so I can cut the commercials...

Dean Business Supply, Llc

http://www.adam4d.com

#3142210 - 01/28/13 09:37 AM Re: Hunting Shows [Re: Coach]
Poser
Mud Dauber
16 Point

content Online
I'd like to see a hunting show spoof that is show dedicated to making fun of other hunting shows. If you have seen the show Portlandia, you'll follow my line of thinking here. -would be hilarious.

Wild & crazy, can't be stopped. Only the strong will survive.

Keep your knife sharp and your skillet greasy.

http://www.GoCarnivore.com

#3142234 - 01/28/13 09:57 AM Re: Hunting Shows [Re: PinchPoint]
Mudbone
10 Point

Loc: Williamson cty. Tn

content Online
 Originally Posted By: Heli-Hunter
yep that's the one. I had watched it with Catman.

#3142242 - 01/28/13 10:02 AM Re: Hunting Shows [Re: Mudbone]
catman529
spiderboy
16 Point

Originally Posted By: Mudbone
big cut field in Kansas, the rest of the show was cool because the deer were routing hard and chasing does all over the place.

A spoof show would be great

#3142290 - 01/28/13 10:41 AM Re: Hunting Shows [Re: RUGER]
benellivol
4 Point

Originally Posted By: RUGER

What's wrong with shooting them in the spine?

#3142384 - 01/28/13 12:06 PM Re: Hunting Shows [Re: benellivol]
DaveB
10 Point

Loc: Shelby County

Spine shots with a Bow frequently do not kill the animal. The animal is paralyzed and requires a kill shot. Srictly an opinion, but in both instances not the ideal way to kill an animal. A gun shot to the spine normally causes sufficient bleeding by the time you get to the animal it has bled out and died.
#3142436 - 01/28/13 12:42 PM Re: Hunting Shows [Re: DaveB]
Football Hunter
Non-Typical

Loc: Wilson Co/Perry Co

The shows are what they are,I know that when I decide to watch one.No big deal.

You wont know,if you dont go!

#3142440 - 01/28/13 12:46 PM Re: Hunting Shows [Re: Football Hunter]
woodsman87
8 Point

Loc: south TN

I do not like spine shots because the animal suffers and bawls until it is put out of its misery. Backstraps are also IMO the best meat.

And by the way, I hate hunting shows all together.

#3142509 - 01/28/13 01:40 PM Re: Hunting Shows [Re: Poser]
Jugfish
4 Point

Loc: Corbin, KY

Originally Posted By: Poser
I'd like to see a hunting show spoof that is show dedicated to making fun of other hunting shows. If you have seen the show Portlandia, you'll follow my line of thinking here. -would be hilarious.

Look up "Outdoors with TK and Mike".

#3142510 - 01/28/13 01:40 PM Re: Hunting Shows [Re: Jugfish]
Jugfish
4 Point

Loc: Corbin, KY

Most hunting shows embarass me. Jim Shockey is the real deal though.
#3142538 - 01/28/13 02:00 PM Re: Hunting Shows [Re: Jugfish]
Poser
Mud Dauber
16 Point

content Online
 Originally Posted By: Jugfish

Not funny enough. I'm talking a whole other level of comic relief.

#3142575 - 01/28/13 02:34 PM Re: Hunting Shows [Re: catman529]
PinchPoint
8 Point

Originally Posted By: Mudbone
big cut field in Kansas, the rest of the show was cool because the deer were routing hard and chasing does all over the place. Yep!

A spoof show would be great

#3142588 - 01/28/13 02:46 PM Re: Hunting Shows [Re: Poser]
Coach
16 Point

Not funny enough. I'm talking a whole other level of comic relief.

I thought that was what we had now?

#3142629 - 01/28/13 03:18 PM Re: Hunting Shows [Re: PinchPoint]
dh1984
10 Point

Loc: union county tennessee

content Online
I cannot stand when im watching a show where somebody makes a bad shot, sometimes awful. Whether it be a gut shot or right in the hind quarters... Then they look at the camera and say " I hit him just a LIL farther back than I wanted" Its plain as day you made a bad shot, Just own up to it!

I seen that more and more on hunting shows. and that's the reason i hardly ever watch them any more.

#3142664 - 01/28/13 03:43 PM Re: Hunting Shows [Re: dh1984]
WRbowhunter
8 Point

Loc: collierville,tn

i agree. Why not say "man I lucked up as I hit a bad shot on that one" just say what it is and move on.

#3142759 - 01/28/13 04:50 PM Re: Hunting Shows [Re: WRbowhunter]
mathews338
12 Point

Loc: jackson co.

there are only a few shows that tell it like it is. i have seen a few that the guy really acts mad at hisself for making a bad hit and you can tell they feel bad about it and these are the shows i watch. i stay away from the rest.
#3142788 - 01/28/13 05:15 PM Re: Hunting Shows [Re: mathews338]
PinchPoint
8 Point

Originally Posted By: mathews338
there are only a few shows that tell it like it is. i have seen a few that the guy really acts mad at hisself for making a bad hit and you can tell they feel bad about it and these are the shows i watch. i stay away from the rest.
I just know the few times its happened to me I was absolutely sick to my stomach. definitely not givin people high-fives and all fired up.

#3142813 - 01/28/13 05:40 PM Re: Hunting Shows [Re: PinchPoint]
CAW
6 Point

Loc: Huntsville, AL

content Online
I've done a good bit of filming, mainly for personal use, youtube, etc., and I'll tell you this - it aint as easy as it looks, especially if you are trying to film yourself. As a matter of fact, it's very, very difficult.

As far as bad shots go, sometimes those are obvious and the guy on TV would be better suited to just admitting that he made a bad shot. Other times, you can see the hit on TV much better than the hunter did when he made the actual shot (trust me, it's true). And unlike hollywood, they only get one take on a kill shot, whatever happens, happens. Sometimes things just go wrong, but it is what it is.

And the commercials and "selling stuff"? Well, they do have to pay the bills. Call up the Outdoor Channel and ask what a 30 minute time slot costs. How about $5K-$10K a week? Then, you have production costs, editing, expenses, etc. After everything is said and done, it can go well over $500K for a 26 week season. And keep in mind, that a lot of these shows and the overall competition between shows and within the hunting industry is what brings a lot of new ideas and products to market.

The hunting industry is tough. Some guys make it look easy, some have unlimited resources and others are just getting by and having some fun. I'd cut em a little slack and if you don't like something in particular, shoot em an email or post on their Facebook page. And of course, you can always just turn the channel.

#3142834 - 01/28/13 05:56 PM Re: Hunting Shows [Re: CAW]
PinchPoint
8 Point

Originally Posted By: CAW
I've done a good bit of filming, mainly for personal use, youtube, etc., and I'll tell you this - it aint as easy as it looks, especially if you are trying to film yourself. As a matter of fact, it's very, very difficult.

As far as bad shots go, sometimes those are obvious and the guy on TV would be better suited to just admitting that he made a bad shot. Other times, you can see the hit on TV much better than the hunter did when he made the actual shot (trust me, it's true). And unlike hollywood, they only get one take on a kill shot, whatever happens, happens. Sometimes things just go wrong, but it is what it is.

And the commercials and "selling stuff"? Well, they do have to pay the bills. Call up the Outdoor Channel and ask what a 30 minute time slot costs. How about $5K-$10K a week? Then, you have production costs, editing, expenses, etc. After everything is said and done, it can go well over $500K for a 26 week season. And keep in mind, that a lot of these shows and the overall competition between shows and within the hunting industry is what brings a lot of new ideas and products to market.

The hunting industry is tough. Some guys make it look easy, some have unlimited resources and others are just getting by and having some fun. I'd cut em a little slack and if you don't like something in particular, shoot em an email or post on their Facebook page. And of course, you can always just turn the channel.
I film too, and I never once said it was easy... I simply said if its obvious that you made a bad shot, you should own up to it, not lie about it to make yourself look good.

#3142853 - 01/28/13 06:17 PM Re: Hunting Shows [Re: PinchPoint]
bowriter
Non-Typical

Loc: Lebanon,TN USA

I have been in front of the camera and I have been behind the camera. I have been involcved in the production and editing and marketing.

There is no excuse for some of the things I have seen and heard. You know when you made a bad shot. If you don't, you have no business in the business. A spine shot is just that. Why call it anything else. In 99% of the cases, it is a pure accident. Why not admit it?

Most outdoor television today is just plain deplorable and disgusting. I fully understand the costs and the need for commercials. I have no objection to that. In some cases, that is the best of the show.

Constipation has ruined many a good day. Not as many as stupidity, though.

#3142856 - 01/28/13 06:20 PM Re: Hunting Shows [Re: bowriter]
PinchPoint
8 Point

Originally Posted By: bowriter
I have been in front of the camera and I have been behind the camera. I have been involcved in the production and editing and marketing.

There is no excuse for some of the things I have seen and heard. You know when you made a bad shot. If you don't, you have no business in the business. A spine shot is just that. Why call it anything else. In 99% of the cases, it is a pure accident. Why not admit it?

Most outdoor television today is just plain deplorable and disgusting. I fully understand the costs and the need for commercials. I have no objection to that. In some cases, that is the best of the show.
Agreed!

Edited by Heli-Hunter (01/28/13 06:20 PM)

#3142909 - 01/28/13 06:53 PM Re: Hunting Shows [Re: CAW]
Coach
16 Point

Originally Posted By: CAW

It's possible that the cost of these shows is actually their own worst enemy. Despite the difficulty involved and the cost...I'd rather watch a hunting or fishing show on PBS than any of the commercialized shows nowadays. It seems to me all of the outdoor channel type shows spend more time trying to out do the others that they have lost their own identity...surely, they didn't start off hunting to end up being so shallow and fake...

Michigan Out of Doors, Buck LaVasseur from the Upper Peninsula,etc...all free, all PBS and all good..Mort Neff brought character and poise, Howard Shelly and so many more brought new products in a folksy hunting type manner...I may just be an old fart who enjoys this but the integrity of the shows was intact...Even Fred Trost pulled no punches...It was quaint, it was deer campish, it was tradition...

Edited by Coach (01/28/13 07:03 PM)

#3143080 - 01/28/13 08:45 PM Re: Hunting Shows [Re: Coach]
morgancountry
4 Point

Loc: wartburg, tn

The only one I watch religiously and record is Meat Eater. Steve Rinella is the real deal, his book was pretty good too.
#3143101 - 01/28/13 08:55 PM Re: Hunting Shows [Re: morgancountry]
MRUTVOL
6 Point

Loc: Goodlettsville,Tennessee,USA

I rarely watch them anymore. It drives me crazy having to turn up my volume to hear what they are saying because they continue to whisper after the kill. The darn thing is dead start talking and celebrating cause that deer aint going nowhere.
#3143408 - 01/29/13 07:11 AM Re: Hunting Shows [Re: PinchPoint]
MUP
Non-Typical

Loc: Just North of Chatt-town

Or even worse, they make that same bad shot and say "I just smoked him!" \:\/

Amateurs: Built the Ark

Professionals: Built the Titanic

#3143532 - 01/29/13 08:49 AM Re: Hunting Shows [Re: MUP]
woodsman87
8 Point

Loc: south TN

Originally Posted By: MUP

I know. I hate it when you see them bow hunting and the arrow goes write through the gut and they start giving fives and celebrating.
I never celebrate until I find the deer or if im gun hunting I see it drop.

#3143696 - 01/29/13 10:52 AM Re: Hunting Shows [Re: woodsman87]
PinchPoint
8 Point

Originally Posted By: woodsman87
 Originally Posted By: MUP

I know. I hate it when you see them bow hunting and the arrow goes write through the gut and they start giving fives and celebrating.
I never celebrate until I find the deer or if im gun hunting I see it drop.
EXACTLY!

#3143709 - 01/29/13 11:00 AM Re: Hunting Shows [Re: PinchPoint]
Lawrence
8 Point

Loc: MT. Juliet Tennessee

watched one last night for about 5 minutes
the guy was turkey hunting and was in search of his 450 something kill. He is a big time call maker and his ego was way out there.

BOOM

#3146929 - 01/31/13 01:15 PM Re: Hunting Shows [Re: Lawrence]
RKenney
10 Point

Loc: Maury Co.

Big industry with a lot of different pay checks going out with the other related companies. It's called "free enterprize", if you don't like the shows, then don't watch them. Evidently, many people across the country like them or they would have already been taken off the air.
#3148049 - 02/01/13 09:52 AM Re: Hunting Shows [Re: Poser]
BSK
Jerkasourous of the non-typical kind
Non-Typical

Loc: Nashville, TN

THAT would be a hoot! But just like the hilarious spoof movie "Spinaltap" hit WAY too close to home and was not well received in the Heavy Metal community, I thonk a spoof hunting show would not be popular with the trophy hunting crowd.

"There is no reasoning someone out of a position he has not reasoned himself into." --Clive James

#3148053 - 02/01/13 09:55 AM Re: Hunting Shows [Re: Jugfish]
BSK
Non-Typical

Most hunting shows embarass me.

I too am embarrassed for the hunting community when I see most hunting shows. In my opinion, they paint deer hunters in a very poor light. I would hate to think non-hunters are watching these shows and thinking that is what deer hunting is all about.

"There is no reasoning someone out of a position he has not reasoned himself into." --Clive James

#3148836 - 02/01/13 11:34 PM Re: Hunting Shows [Re: MRUTVOL]
Poser
Mud Dauber
16 Point

content Online
 Originally Posted By: MRUTVOL
I rarely watch them anymore. It drives me crazy having to turn up my volume to hear what they are saying because they continue to whisper after the kill. The darn thing is dead start talking and celebrating cause that deer aint going nowhere.

Not defending them but there is actually a technical reason why they do that. The audio levels are set for whispering. If they started talking in a loud voice, it would distort.

#3148890 - 02/02/13 06:50 AM Re: Hunting Shows [Re: morgancountry]
10 Point

Many of these shows are, quite frankly, embarrassing. I DO choose to turn them off rather than sit and watch. They prostitute hunting in many ways. Not all, but many.

And not only hunting shows, but the media in general.

Jim Cary starred in a movie called Truman where a man is raised in a world completely fake. His world is in reality, a TV show aired daily and viewed Globally. It is a number one TV show in this movie.

Everyone around him is an actor. He has no clue. Even the weather is controlled by the shows producer.

In a related fashion, the show makes me wonder how influenced we all really are by the "boob tube".
Seriously, how much do we really need to know about the garbage of this world?

The hunting industry is the same.

I saw a chilling interview with Jon Stewart vs Al Gore on Comedy Central where Al Gore said we live in a Democracy that no longer operates freely. It is controlled by big lobbyists and needs free commerce to drive (fuel) our system. In other words he said money needs to be spent by consumers to keep our system operating. And by operating he means that this will allow the wealthiest rich control Washington and tell them what to do.

On a smaller scale, hunting shows are mostly about selling product.

Recently I have been engaged in talks with a outdoor TV show producer/creator. He is successful and looking to add another camera to his team from the South.
We got through all the equipment/sponsor requirements. Then discussed dialogue and story theme. It all sounded good.

But when it came to "money talk" guess what I found out? THere is NO PAY involved, just products.

So for all the hard work, editing, money shots, and expenses the guys in front of the camera are doing this popular show for ZERO pay. The shows producer said some shows do pay their hunters, but for his show, a hunter needs to be satisfied with "telling their story".

He also told me that there are MANY outdoor TV shows that operate this way. Only the owner/producer of the show makes any money. And according to him, not much. Most money is made by selling their own products, books, video, calls, etc. Not the show itself.

What does this say about "ego"?
SCAPAS.stay calm and pick a spot.

#3148942 - 02/02/13 08:00 AM Re: Hunting Shows [Re: 102]
BSK
Non-Typical

Originally Posted By: 102

We now live in a reality TV society. Everyone wants their 15 minutes of fame.

What does it say about our society when the the Kardashian sisters are famous celebrities for what reason, other than being public sluts? And Paris Hilton is a celebrity why...?

#3148961 - 02/02/13 08:28 AM Re: Hunting Shows [Re: BSK]
Poser
Mud Dauber
16 Point

content Online
Hunting shows are the equivalent to watching porn. The viewer watches the guy on tv do his thing and fantasizes, to some degree, about being that person who gets to kill the big buck.

Personally, I find porn more stimulating than hunting shows \:D

#3149395 - 02/02/13 06:19 PM Re: Hunting Shows [Re: BSK]
10 Point

Originally Posted By: BSK

What does it say about our society when the the Kardashian sisters are famous celebrities for what reason, other than being public sluts? And Paris Hilton is a celebrity why...?

Because her family has unreal amounts of money. And she got bored being the average rich girl. SO she sold her soul, or what was left of it, to publicity. She became very well known after someone, probably herself, shot video of her and her boyfriend copulating. Graphic, raw, and un-edited.

It got her attention. Just like the Khardashians, and Pamela Anderson.

Sex, and horn porn, sells.

Put Lee with an ugly, fat, and mean chick, even thought she may be a crack shot, and guess what? The show loses sponsors.

(no offense to Tiffany, she seems sweet and sincere but you get my drift)

One more thing. I can absolutely guarantee you that if some of these girls were not wearing clothes, the shows would sky rocket in ratings. And nobody would care about racks. (I mean antlers)

These shows are not educational but like porn, they are fantasies! If they offend you, turn them off. I do.

BTW, most of the "pros" are not. They are hunters looking to boost their own ego!

A few years ago, it all started out different. But money got in the way.

#3151016 - 02/04/13 07:29 AM Re: Hunting Shows [Re: DaveB]
benellivol
4 Point

Originally Posted By: DaveB
Spine shots with a Bow frequently do not kill the animal. The animal is paralyzed and requires a kill shot. Srictly an opinion, but in both instances not the ideal way to kill an animal. A gun shot to the spine normally causes sufficient bleeding by the time you get to the animal it has bled out and died.

I know it's not ideal, but it's better to put them on the ground and finish them off than to hit a little too far back and it die a few days later.

#3152928 - 02/05/13 02:50 PM Re: Hunting Shows [Re: 102]
Winchester
Non-Typical

Because her family has unreal amounts of money. And she got bored being the average rich girl. SO she sold her soul, or what was left of it, to publicity. She became very well known after someone, probably herself, shot video of her and her boyfriend copulating. Graphic, raw, and un-edited.

It got her attention. Just like the Khardashians, and Pamela Anderson.

Sex, and horn porn, sells.

Put Lee with an ugly, fat, and mean chick, even thought she may be a crack shot, and guess what? The show loses sponsors.

(no offense to Tiffany, she seems sweet and sincere but you get my drift)

One more thing. I can absolutely guarantee you that if some of these girls were not wearing clothes, the shows would sky rocket in ratings. And nobody would care about racks. (I mean antlers)

These shows are not educational but like porn, they are fantasies! If they offend you, turn them off. I do.

BTW, most of the "pros" are not. They are hunters looking to boost their own ego!

A few years ago, it all started out different. But money got in the way.

EXACTLY, good post!

#3153026 - 02/05/13 04:33 PM Re: Hunting Shows [Re: Winchester]
deerhunter10
10 Point

Loc: maury county tn

cant stand many many many of them about any of the shows on air now. about the only ones a can stand is major league bowhunter and buck commander. and that just because of the baseball players!

#3153121 - 02/05/13 06:03 PM Re: Hunting Shows [Re: deerhunter10]
bbuck14
8 Point

Loc: West Tn.

I watch them and all. Some I like, some I don't. But in all reality stick any of them on property like we have to hunt on and see how well they do. I'd be willing to bet there are numerous hunters on this forum that are just as good or better hunters then them on tv but don't have the places to hunt like they do. Let them hunt public land, small tracts, and areas full of hunting pressure and lets see what they can do then in our world.
#3153142 - 02/05/13 06:20 PM Re: Hunting Shows [Re: bbuck14]
PinchPoint
8 Point

Originally Posted By: bbuck14
I watch them and all. Some I like, some I don't. But in all reality stick any of them on property like we have to hunt on and see how well they do. I'd be willing to bet there are numerous hunters on this forum that are just as good or better hunters then them on tv but don't have the places to hunt like they do. Let them hunt public land, small tracts, and areas full of hunting pressure and lets see what they can do then in our world.
Exactly. I know for a fact some of these guys couldnt kill a good buck on public land, some dont seem they would have success anywhwere if their hand isnt held..

#3154939 - 02/07/13 11:39 AM Re: Hunting Shows [Re: PinchPoint]
Terence
4 Point

Guess I feel differently about hunting shows but there are only several that I watch. ( The Crush with Lee and Tiffany, The Bone Collector, And Jim Shockey) I'd pay alot of money to hunt with these people .
#3155163 - 02/07/13 03:25 PM Re: Hunting Shows [Re: Terence]
turkeyhunter
6 Point

Loc: collinwood tn

I really dont think there are any real experienced hunters that watch these shows and believe that they are realistic. But to a new hunter it could be very misleading. But like all of us they must live and learn. I watch very view hunting shows nowdays. When i do , its certain people at certain times during the show.

#3155535 - 02/07/13 08:24 PM Re: Hunting Shows [Re: BSK]
Hoss
TnDeer Old Timer
8 Point

Loc: Hendersonville , TN

I too am embarrassed for the hunting community when I see most hunting shows. In my opinion, they paint deer hunters in a very poor light. I would hate to think non-hunters are watching these shows and thinking that is what deer hunting is all about.

Bryan, I would hate to think that hunters are watching some of these shows and thinking that is what hunting is all about!

Edited by Hoss (02/07/13 08:25 PM)

A mere shadow of the man I once was... Me!

#3156174 - 02/08/13 12:08 PM Re: Hunting Shows [Re: Hoss]
BSK
Non-Typical

Originally Posted By: Hoss

Bryan, I would hate to think that hunters are watching some of these shows and thinking that is what hunting is all about!

I couldn't agree more. In fact, I blame TV hunting shows for the completely unrealistic expectations most hunters now have towards the deer they persue.

#3156623 - 02/08/13 06:37 PM Re: Hunting Shows [Re: BSK]
PinchPoint
8 Point

I couldn't agree more. In fact, I blame TV hunting shows for the completely unrealistic expectations most hunters now have towards the deer they persue.
Agreed 110%

#3159337 - 02/11/13 12:36 AM Re: Hunting Shows [Re: PinchPoint]
hunter0925
8 Point

Loc: TN, Rhea,

I can't say that I do not watch hunting shows but I do agree that they paint hunters in a bad light and also set unreal expectations for people. These same
'professionals" would probably not be able to kill anything on properties that I hunt and would be lost with out a guide sayin "sit in this tree and the deer will be here at 530 sharp." I am in no way a pro but I know where to go on my public properties to kill deer and to see bucks. I would also go so far as to say that many of these shows are turning people off to hunting because they believe that they should see a monster the first day and get discouraged when they don't.

#3159357 - 02/11/13 05:07 AM Re: Hunting Shows [Re: BSK]
10 Point

SO TRUE!

#3159507 - 02/11/13 08:45 AM Re: Hunting Shows [Re: 102]
Football Hunter
Non-Typical

Yeah,most hunting shows are unrealistic crap,but dont most people know that?Has anyone ordered anything from ACME after watching the Road runner and Coyote?

#3159859 - 02/11/13 01:58 PM Re: Hunting Shows [Re: Football Hunter]
BSK
Non-Typical

Originally Posted By: Football Hunter
Yeah,most hunting shows are unrealistic crap,but dont most people know that?

Unfortuntately, it is a proven scientific fact that propaganda subconciously overpowers rational thought. Just because someone "knows" TV hunting shows are for entertainment, their thoughts are still being influenced. If this wasn't a fact, manufacturers wouldn't spend the money they do on advertising.

#3162010 - 02/13/13 06:38 AM Re: Hunting Shows [Re: BSK]
Coach
16 Point

Unfortunately, like fake wrestling on tv, it's entertainment.

#3162323 - 02/13/13 10:56 AM Re: Hunting Shows [Re: freebird]
gator-n-buck
WAFL
18 Point

Loc: Knox, TN / Palatka, FL

When I hit the TV on button..... I know it's all entertainment..... \:\)
#3162430 - 02/13/13 12:47 PM Re: Hunting Shows [Re: gator-n-buck]
BSK
Non-Typical

Again, we can claim we conciously realize anything is "just entertainment." But if propaganda did not work subconciously as well as it does, advertisers would be out of business. Companies (and governments) spend so much money on advertising because it works, despite our best efforts to conciously ignore or devalue it.

#3162529 - 02/13/13 02:02 PM Re: Hunting Shows [Re: BSK]
Football Hunter
Non-Typical

Again, we can claim we conciously realize anything is "just entertainment." But if propaganda did not work subconciously as well as it does, advertisers would be out of business. Companies (and governments) spend so much money on advertising because it works, despite our best efforts to conciously ignore or devalue it.
Other than complaining on here,which is meaningless,what harm ,really,does having high expectations do?keeps me in the stand a few more minutes some cold mornings.

I guess wasting money on "deer lures" etc.

Same as most fishing shows,they rarely shape a show around small bass.

#3162542 - 02/13/13 02:10 PM Re: Hunting Shows [Re: Football Hunter]
catman529
spiderboy
16 Point

Other than complaining on here,which is meaningless,what harm ,really,does having high expectations do?keeps me in the stand a few more minutes some cold mornings.

I guess wasting money on "deer lures" etc.

Same as most fishing shows,they rarely shape a show around small bass.
unles you have unusually good success, high expectations would make you unsatisfied with your hunts and you probably won't be as happy of a hunter. I started last deer season with low expectations, just wanting to enjoy hunting and kill a deer or two. I came out with 10 deer including 2 mature bucks, a lot of which had to do with luck but I can't say how happy I am with my past deer season, it's one I will never forget. I'm not trying to brag here just want to use my personal experience as an example... Now that I set the bar high, I may have higher expectations next season however I always tell myself to enjoy the hunt even if I don't kill that big one I wanted. Just my 2 cents

#3162570 - 02/13/13 02:35 PM Re: Hunting Shows [Re: Football Hunter]
BSK
Non-Typical

Other than complaining on here,which is meaningless...

Actually, it's not meaningless.

Quote:
what harm ,really,does having high expectations do?

No harm in high expectations. Lots of potential harm in unrealistic expectations, and most of the TV hunting shows "sell" unrealistic expectations.

#3162734 - 02/13/13 04:26 PM Re: Hunting Shows [Re: BSK]
Football Hunter
Non-Typical

What meaning does complaining on here have?^^^^^^

#3162799 - 02/13/13 05:35 PM Re: Hunting Shows [Re: Football Hunter]
BSK
Non-Typical

Have you not seen just how quickly trophyist activists can rally like-minded hunters into taking political action? And politicians under voter pressure will quickly move to make constituents happy, with no regard for truth or facts.

#3162887 - 02/13/13 06:29 PM Re: Hunting Shows [Re: BSK]
r'ville a-bolt
4 Point

Loc: nc graham

big Levi & Samantha Morgan fans, 75 yards to him is like 25 yards to most bowhunters.
#3163402 - 02/14/13 05:35 AM Re: Hunting Shows [Re: r'ville a-bolt]
farmin68
16 Point

Loc: In a tree clinging to my guns ...

Originally Posted By: r'ville a-bolt
big Levi & Samantha Morgan fans, 75 yards to him is like 25 yards to most bowhunters.

Don't know who he is, but I'm sure the 75 yards to 25 comparison is bovine scatology.

#3163787 - 02/14/13 11:04 AM Re: Hunting Shows [Re: farmin68]
Football Hunter
Non-Typical

Originally Posted By: farmin68

Don't know who he is, but I'm sure the 75 yards to 25 comparison is bovine scatology.
\:\) good one

#3163809 - 02/14/13 11:17 AM Re: Hunting Shows [Re: BSK]
Football Hunter
Non-Typical

Have you not seen just how quickly trophyist activists can rally like-minded hunters into taking political action? And politicians under voter pressure will quickly move to make constituents happy, with no regard for truth or facts.
I assume you are right,but I havent seen,or at least remember any big changes in a states overall regs in a while.Besides the recent Ohio changes,which I guess they have a good reason for,but dont know.

#3164287 - 02/14/13 07:10 PM Re: Hunting Shows [Re: Football Hunter]
r'ville a-bolt
4 Point

Levi morgan at just 23 years old owns several world records,as well as numerous national titles.competitive shooting gave him the opportunity to chase his true passion hunting! Mathews pro staff member his wife also a world class archer.their show name the game is great they do take what most consider long or unethical shots.they have shown time and again that they're qualified for such shots.above all they give Jesus Christ full credit for all they've accomplished.that's what impressed me about these two.not bad for a small town country boy.
#3164912 - 02/15/13 11:12 AM Re: Hunting Shows [Re: r'ville a-bolt]
Football Hunter
Non-Typical

Levi morgan at just 23 years old owns several world records,as well as numerous national titles.competitive shooting gave him the opportunity to chase his true passion hunting! Mathews pro staff member his wife also a world class archer.their show name the game is great they do take what most consider long or unethical shots.they have shown time and again that they're qualified for such shots.above all they give Jesus Christ full credit for all they've accomplished.that's what impressed me about these two.not bad for a small town country boy.
Thats cool,glad they are good shots,but sooner or later one of those long shots will go bad,deer moves,gut shot,ham shot etc.Bet they wont show that one.

#3165024 - 02/15/13 12:35 PM Re: Hunting Shows [Re: Football Hunter]
r'ville a-bolt
4 Point

actually he hit one far back on one episode from 35 yards.the shot made him sick he got lucky and hit the femeral artery for a pretty quick recovery.your right most shows don't show what really happens on those shots.This is the main reason I like their show even though they're world class archers they show their mistakes and it's not always monster bucks.
Page all of 8 12345>Last »

Moderator:  RUGER, Tennessee Todd, Unicam, Cuttin Caller, CBU93, stretch, Bobby G, TurkeyBurd, Kimber45, Mrs.Unicam, Crappie Luck 
Hop to:
Top Posters
RUGER
Deer Assassin
BSK
Crappie Luck
spitndrum
Newest Members
OfficerBuck, rapalabuck, medic2fpc, MachDR, pop
13308 Registered Users
Who's Online
101 registered (eastTN270, SEC, THEdonkey0515, HDUKE1986, KyRick, tnbucs1, 12 invisible) and 194 anonymous users online.
Forum Stats
13308 Members
42 Forums
94046 Topics
1098626 Posts

Max Online: 788 @ 11/11/13 08:06 PM
Moon Phase
CURRENT MOON
October
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Forum Donations
The TnDeer.Com Deer Talk Forum is for Tennessee Deer Hunters by Tennessee Deer Hunters. If you enjoy using our Talk Forum and would like to contribute to help in it's up-keep. Just submit your contribution by clicking on the DONATE button below and paying with PayPal or a major credit card. Any amount is much appreciated. Thanks for your support!

TN Burn Safe

Generated in 0.128 seconds in which 0.003 seconds were spent on a total of 14 queries. Zlib compression enabled.