Tndeer Logo

Page 2 of 2 <12
Topic Options
#3142452 - 01/28/13 12:55 PM Re: Property that joins a WMA. [Re: smstone22]
Football Hunter
Non-Typical

Loc: Wilson Co/Perry Co

Originally Posted By: smstone22
I wouldnt really want to deal with that personally, just because of the brown/down mentality that would likely be all over the WMA.
yep

You wont know,if you dont go!

#3145886 - 01/30/13 04:04 PM Re: Property that joins a WMA. [Re: tickweed]
tickweed
12 Point

Loc: medon,Tn.

content Online
 Originally Posted By: tickweed
but it, I'll go with you.
Sorry, thats BUY it! Then I will help you hunt it! I'll keep the people off of it.

#3145889 - 01/30/13 04:06 PM Re: Property that joins a WMA. [Re: tickweed]
tickweed
12 Point

Loc: medon,Tn.

content Online
Also, if you dont want it, step back, I'll buy it. Knowing where its at, its a good deal!

#3145926 - 01/30/13 04:29 PM Re: Property that joins a WMA. [Re: tickweed]
bbuck14
8 Point

Loc: West Tn.

If you buy it then get prepared. You'll spend just as much time chasing people off as you will do hunting. It'll always be when your trying to hunt, opening weekends, holidays, etc.
#3147282 - 01/31/13 06:52 PM Re: Property that joins a WMA. [Re: bbuck14]
dr
10 Point

Loc: USA

My property is within a quarter mile of a remote area of Catoosa WMA. I consider that a plus, and it has appreciated in value considerably. I bought it because I knew there would always be a good supply of wild game, and I wouldn't have to worry about any of that land being developed. Places I hunted in my youth are now subdivisions, and shopping centers. I have my property posted, and have zero problems with trespassers. I believe this is because most hunters on WMA property would rather hunt in the more isolated areas, away from people, and private property that they know I hunt.

#3147832 - 02/01/13 07:28 AM Re: Property that joins a WMA. [Re: dr]
Rick Dillard
4 Point

Loc: Gluckstadt, MS

As it has been stated several times before, the terrain/remoteness of the adjoining WMA can have a big influence on the impact it has on the adjoining private property. Rivers, swamps, steep terrain, thick cover, etc. near the property can discourage hunter use there. Distance to the nearest accessible road/atv trail can also influence the amount of use a particular section of public land receives. I know of instances where a private landowner owns only a small amount of land, but has the use of 100's of acres of public land with no competition from other hunters.
#3148020 - 02/01/13 09:33 AM Re: Property that joins a WMA. [Re: treefarmer]
BSK
Jerkasourous of the non-typical kind
Non-Typical

Loc: Nashville, TN

Originally Posted By: treefarmer
I adjoin the TN NWR on the Tennessee river and they do not manage the old forest so there isn't much game in the area. If your WMA has a good amount of deer/turkey you could create cover habitat that would draw in wildlife during hunting season. On the other hand if the WMA doesn't have good hunting you probably won't either and you will have the hunters to deal with.

Although I'm not exactly sure where treefarmer's property is, I suspect we are not far from each other. I also share a section of border with TN NWR along the Tennessee River. Low quality habitat on the Refuge is not a problem, as I border near some of the productive bottomlands of the Refuge. Our problem has been the Refuge's deer hunting regulations that are intended to greatly reduce the deer population, which have proven amazing successful. \:\(

We have had a few problems with trespassers coming off the Refuge, but I've recently marked our property line so well that there is no way someone could accidentally wander onto my place (which has greatly reduced trespassing, although not eliminated it).

Personally, I would not let an adjoining border with public hunting stop me from owning my own hunting land. As others have mentioned, if you turn your property into a big sanctuary, you can draw an amazing number of deer off the public hunting area during the highest pressure hunting times.

"There is no reasoning someone out of a position he has not reasoned himself into." --Clive James

#3148106 - 02/01/13 10:38 AM Re: Property that joins a WMA. [Re: BSK]
landman
10 Point

Loc: TN & Western KY

Like I said its the best at times and the worst at times.
I have steep bluffs and ridges with some hollows joining a Refuge
hunting stops at a certain time every year, it gets better after that, but hunters have to walk a long ways to get to some of these areas and still cross over to me. Lines are marked very well, I've
even had a GW ask me to look at pic's posted on this very site to see if I could tell were they were taken. Do to the fact the GW,
felt that a certain member on here was hunting my land...

http://www.JimmySettleLand.com

#3148234 - 02/01/13 12:40 PM Re: Property that joins a WMA. [Re: BSK]
SEC
6 Point

Loc: TN

Originally Posted By: BSK
 Originally Posted By: treefarmer
I adjoin the TN NWR on the Tennessee river and they do not manage the old forest so there isn't much game in the area. If your WMA has a good amount of deer/turkey you could create cover habitat that would draw in wildlife during hunting season. On the other hand if the WMA doesn't have good hunting you probably won't either and you will have the hunters to deal with.

Although I'm not exactly sure where treefarmer's property is, I suspect we are not far from each other. I also share a section of border with TN NWR along the Tennessee River. Low quality habitat on the Refuge is not a problem, as I border near some of the productive bottomlands of the Refuge. Our problem has been the Refuge's deer hunting regulations that are intended to greatly reduce the deer population, which have proven amazing successful. \:\(

We have had a few problems with trespassers coming off the Refuge, but I've recently marked our property line so well that there is no way someone could accidentally wander onto my place (which has greatly reduced trespassing, although not eliminated it).

Personally, I would not let an adjoining border with public hunting stop me from owning my own hunting land. As others have mentioned, if you turn your property into a big sanctuary, you can draw an amazing number of deer off the public hunting area during the highest pressure hunting times.
The WMA that would join me is only 60 acres and open with the statewide season . I just cant help but think it will be full of hunters during the entire season shooting everything that just looks like a deer. I cant think of a worse neighbor to have. At least the TN NWR is only gun hunted a few days out of the year. The propety that I would be next to would be under an all out attack for 60+ days what they dont kill will be way over pressured. Or am I just over thinking this.

#3148262 - 02/01/13 01:03 PM Re: Property that joins a WMA. [Re: SEC]
BSK
Jerkasourous of the non-typical kind
Non-Typical

Loc: Nashville, TN

SEC,

The hunting pressure on the Refuges is much greater than you think. Other than the 3-4 quota hunts (which are full), these lands are open to archery equipment without permit throught bow season.

"There is no reasoning someone out of a position he has not reasoned himself into." --Clive James

Page 2 of 2 <12

Moderator:  Bobby G, Unicam, CBU93, stretch, Kimber45, Mrs.Unicam, Crappie Luck 
Hop to:
Top Posters
RUGER
Deer Assassin
BSK
Crappie Luck
spitndrum
Newest Members
TNDeerHunter270, rmyers@atpro1, ojf, Muwasi, Brad1
13550 Registered Users
Who's Online
138 registered (J Chapman, lung-buster, Eric Kilby, dralarms, chubacabra, Ken45, 7 invisible) and 222 anonymous users online.
Forum Stats
13550 Members
42 Forums
99300 Topics
1168151 Posts

Max Online: 788 @ 11/11/13 08:06 PM
Moon Phase
CURRENT MOON
November
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
2 3 4 5 6 7 8
9 10 11 12 13 14 15
16 17 18 19 20 21 22
23 24 25 26 27 28 29
Forum Donations
The TnDeer.Com Deer Talk Forum is for Tennessee Deer Hunters by Tennessee Deer Hunters. If you enjoy using our Talk Forum and would like to contribute to help in it's up-keep. Just submit your contribution by clicking on the DONATE button below and paying with PayPal or a major credit card. Any amount is much appreciated. Thanks for your support!

TN Burn Safe

Generated in 0.045 seconds in which 0.001 seconds were spent on a total of 14 queries. Zlib compression enabled.