Tndeer Logo

Page 1 of 2 12>
Topic Options
#3138893 - 01/25/13 12:32 PM I've come to the a conclusion
easy45
Non-Typical

Loc: Chester County

That all of hardeman and Fayette counties are already leased up for the next 10 years for hunting, I have literally spent the last 2 weeks calling people about farms and everything is leased except for a few that said they would not lease anymore because clubs out of memphis had abused there land so badly. I might just be stuck in the same hunting spots again.

#3138896 - 01/25/13 12:35 PM Re: I've come to the a conclusion [Re: easy45]
HuntingDicksonDTC
8 Point

Loc: Dickson

getting harder everywhere. lost a pretty good spot couple weeks ago.land is being sold

Treat a man as he could be & he will become what he should be.

#3138907 - 01/25/13 12:41 PM Re: I've come to the a conclusion [Re: HuntingDicksonDTC]
dh1984
10 Point

Loc: union county tennessee

Same here i lost the land next to mine that i been hunting for the last 10 years due to it sold to a nice fellow. But he don't allow any hunting on it.

all of the good hunting land is getting sold to non hunting people and it sucks big time.

#3139129 - 01/25/13 02:55 PM Re: I've come to the a conclusion [Re: dh1984]
stik
TnDeer Old Timer
18 Point

Loc: lenoir city,tn

i have said for a loooong time that leasing is the biggest threat to the future of hunting.

nothing makes a fish bigger than almost being caught

#3139177 - 01/25/13 03:31 PM Re: I've come to the a conclusion [Re: stik]
Phil1979
10 Point

Loc: Arlington, TN

content Online
Not good to hear. I just started looking for something in Fayette to lease.
#3139223 - 01/25/13 04:08 PM Re: I've come to the a conclusion [Re: stik]
TRIGGER
Michael Waddell stunt double
10 Point

Loc: Cunningham TN

Originally Posted By: stik
i have said for a loooong time that leasing is the biggest threat to the future of hunting.

Can you explain your thoughts? I'm not doubting you just curious.

#3139231 - 01/25/13 04:18 PM Re: I've come to the a conclusion [Re: stik]
randy
6 Point

Loc: gibson

Especially when a landowner "shops" for renters. I see this more than ever lately. Im not going to pay anybody to hunt. Luckily I have a few good places to go. And I will never get charged to hunt these places. But every year it seems like leases go up.

#3139233 - 01/25/13 04:19 PM Re: I've come to the a conclusion [Re: TRIGGER]
Diehard Hunter
CRAMP
12 Point

Loc: East Tennessee

content Online
 Originally Posted By: TRIGGER

I feel the same way, and here is why. In the past, landowners were willing to allow hunting. When hunters started competing for an ever shrinking pool of land, leasing came into being. It started in earnest when all the timber company land was sold. We have gotten to a point now where land is leased to the highest bidder. Each year it is up for bid again. What that means for most hunters is...no place to hunt other than public land. Very few hunters are going to pay going rates unless they are very serious. The majority of hunters are not very serious. It is also excluding those that simply cannot afford the extra money to lease land.

So, if you can't afford to lease land and are not satisfied wit public land opportunities, what do you do? The answer is....find another obey and give up hunting. It is getting worse every year. We are losing more and more public lands, many private lands are lost every year to development or to landowners who no longer want hunting on their land. It is getting so bad now, that many leases are for a single species. One person or group leases the land for deer, then a different group leases it for turkey, and so on. It is getting harder to get long term leases as well. Landowners are wanting higher prices for their land, and we as hunters are paying it. We will price ourselves out of this sport if we keep going down the path we are on. Well, some of us will anyways. There will always be those that have plenty of money that feel as long as they get what they want everything is OK.

#3139394 - 01/25/13 06:11 PM Re: I've come to the a conclusion [Re: Diehard Hunter]
Bambi Buster
14 Point

Loc: Middle Tennessee

Originally Posted By: Diehard Hunter
 Originally Posted By: TRIGGER

I feel the same way, and here is why. In the past, landowners were willing to allow hunting. When hunters started competing for an ever shrinking pool of land, leasing came into being. It started in earnest when all the timber company land was sold. We have gotten to a point now where land is leased to the highest bidder. Each year it is up for bid again. What that means for most hunters is...no place to hunt other than public land. Very few hunters are going to pay going rates unless they are very serious. The majority of hunters are not very serious. It is also excluding those that simply cannot afford the extra money to lease land.

So, if you can't afford to lease land and are not satisfied wit public land opportunities, what do you do? The answer is....find another obey and give up hunting. It is getting worse every year. We are losing more and more public lands, many private lands are lost every year to development or to landowners who no longer want hunting on their land. It is getting so bad now, that many leases are for a single species. One person or group leases the land for deer, then a different group leases it for turkey, and so on. It is getting harder to get long term leases as well. Landowners are wanting higher prices for their land, and we as hunters are paying it. We will price ourselves out of this sport if we keep going down the path we are on. Well, some of us will anyways. There will always be those that have plenty of money that feel as long as they get what they want everything is OK.

I would not necessarily argue the points you are making here, but what remotely practicable solution to the problem would you recommend?

#3139483 - 01/25/13 07:17 PM Re: I've come to the a conclusion [Re: Bambi Buster]
Backstrapcrazy
6 Point

Loc: powell , Tennessee

We have hunters just going on leases they do not have any permission to be on and screwing up those that do belong, and it gets ugly after that. No one respects others during draw hunts either.
Page 1 of 2 12>

Moderator:  RUGER, Unicam, gtk, Tennessee Todd, Lakeland Charlie, Cuttin Caller, CBU93, stretch, Outdoor Lady, TurkeyBurd, MAN, Bobby G, Kimber45, Crappie Luck, Kirk 
Hop to:
Top Posters
RUGER
Deer Assassin
BSK
Crappie Luck
spitndrum
Newest Members
bassassassin7, BBQ, Kornhunter, Afleming17, 260rem
13281 Registered Users
Who's Online
99 registered (Rockhound, TNLynn, in the dog house!, Southpaw, CountryBoy053, Timber Ghost, 15 invisible) and 162 anonymous users online.
Forum Stats
13281 Members
42 Forums
85184 Topics
1029519 Posts

Max Online: 788 @ 11/11/13 08:06 PM
Moon Phase
CURRENT MOON
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5
6 7 8 9 10 11 12
13 14 15 16 17 18 19
20 21 22 23 24 25 26
27 28 29 30
Forum Donations
The TnDeer.Com Deer Talk Forum is for Tennessee Deer Hunters by Tennessee Deer Hunters. If you enjoy using our Talk Forum and would like to contribute to help in it's up-keep. Just submit your contribution by clicking on the DONATE button below and paying with PayPal or a major credit card. Any amount is much appreciated. Thanks for your support!

TN Burn Safe

Generated in 0.241 seconds in which 0.001 seconds were spent on a total of 15 queries. Zlib compression enabled.