Tndeer Logo

Page 2 of 3 <123>
Topic Options
#3135802 - 01/23/13 10:09 AM Re: New Deer Tick disease [Re: BSK]
WMAn
8 Point

Loc: Williamson County

Odd question, but did you try beef from different sources? Supermarket versus grass fed from a local farm? Did the source not matter? Just curious.

#3135836 - 01/23/13 10:29 AM Re: New Deer Tick disease [Re: WMAn]
Poser
Mud Dauber
16 Point

Loc: Tennessee

Originally Posted By: WMAn
Odd question, but did you try beef from different sources? Supermarket versus grass fed from a local farm? Did the source not matter? Just curious.

and, to clarify, it was just beef? Pork etc had no effect?

Wild & crazy, can't be stopped. Only the strong will survive.

Keep your knife sharp and your skillet greasy.

http://www.GoCarnivore.com

#3135904 - 01/23/13 11:17 AM Re: New Deer Tick disease [Re: Poser]
Andy S.
TnDeer Old Timer
14 Point

Loc: Atoka, TN

Originally Posted By: Poser
Was wondering the same thing. What about venison?

If I had saved all the money I spent on hunting, I'd spend it on hunting.

#3136368 - 01/23/13 05:48 PM Re: New Deer Tick disease [Re: WMAn]
BSK
Jerkasourous of the non-typical kind
Non-Typical

Loc: Nashville, TN

Yup, tried everything, including free-range. For years we were convinced the problem was being caused by preservatives sprayed on the carcasses at the slaughter house--that is until Mammalian Meat Allergy was discovered.

"There is no reasoning someone out of a position he has not reasoned himself into." --Clive James

#3136376 - 01/23/13 05:54 PM Re: New Deer Tick disease [Re: Poser]
BSK
Non-Typical

Each person will show a slightly different list of meats that bother them. For me it was beef and some forms of cured pork, such as cured ham, brauts, and some sausage. But I could eat porkchops and bar-b-que. Venison was also OK.

For one of my sisters it is purely beef. For the other, every type of red meat is causing her problems, including venison.

But the defining aspect of Mammalian Meat Allergy isn't what meat the person displays allergic reactions to. It is the 4-6 hour delayed reaction, which as far as I know, is fairly unprecedented in food allergies. Most other food allergies will begin to display symptoms within 30-60 minutes of consumption.

For me, the delay was exactly 6 hours. You could set your wath by it the reaction time was so precise.

So far, there are only about 1,200 diagnosed cases of Mammalian Meat Allergy, but much of that is due to a lack of awareness by people who might have it. Of those diagnosed, I'm one of the earliest cases known (my symptoms appeared in 1991).

"There is no reasoning someone out of a position he has not reasoned himself into." --Clive James

#3139173 - 01/25/13 03:26 PM Re: New Deer Tick disease [Re: BSK]
Oak
Spike

Loc: Lawrence Cty

I've also dealt with this for several years. My worst reactions usually occur if I eat the cheaper high fat content beef (I.e. the cheap frozen hamburger patties are the worst). I am able to eat leaner cuts of beef and venison has never bothered me. It took a while for me to narrow it down to beef. As BSK stated I always assumed it was preservatives. I've had some serious reactions in the past, including trouble breathing, a serious colon pain, burning/itchy hives. Benedryl (or any other antihistamine) has been the only thing that can relieve the symptoms.
#3139761 - 01/25/13 10:04 PM Re: New Deer Tick disease [Re: Oak]
BSK
Non-Typical

Originally Posted By: Oak
I've also dealt with this for several years. My worst reactions usually occur if I eat the cheaper high fat content beef (I.e. the cheap frozen hamburger patties are the worst).

Yup. I first noticed the reactions, and the reactions were always worst, to high-fat fast-food hamburgers.

Quote:
I've had some serious reactions in the past, including trouble breathing, a serious colon pain, burning/itchy hives.

On the rare occassion I have a reaction these days, it is always the intense intestinal pain. It comes in waves, and is shockingly brutal. One of my sisters also experiences this symptom.

#3139768 - 01/25/13 10:08 PM Re: New Deer Tick disease [Re: BSK]
pass-thru
10 Point

Loc: va beach

Originally Posted By: BSK

Each person will show a slightly different list of meats that bother them. For me it was beef and some forms of cured pork, such as cured ham, brauts, and some sausage. But I could eat porkchops and bar-b-que. Venison was also OK.

For one of my sisters it is purely beef. For the other, every type of red meat is causing her problems, including venison.

But the defining aspect of Mammalian Meat Allergy isn't what meat the person displays allergic reactions to. It is the 4-6 hour delayed reaction, which as far as I know, is fairly unprecedented in food allergies. Most other food allergies will begin to display symptoms within 30-60 minutes of consumption.

For me, the delay was exactly 6 hours. You could set your wath by it the reaction time was so precise.

So far, there are only about 1,200 diagnosed cases of Mammalian Meat Allergy, but much of that is due to a lack of awareness by people who might have it. Of those diagnosed, I'm one of the earliest cases known (my symptoms appeared in 1991).

My mother has it several years now, and she can't eat any read meat whatsoever. I had never heard of it before and neither and she. She was diagnosed by an allergist through bloodwork.

#3139775 - 01/25/13 10:12 PM Re: New Deer Tick disease [Re: pass-thru]
BSK
Non-Typical

Originally Posted By: pass-thru
My mother has it several years now, and she can't eat any read meat whatsoever. I had never heard of it before and neither and she. She was diagnosed by an allergist through bloodwork.

They look for the alfagal proteins.

It's beginning to appear that there are other ways to develop this allergy other than a tick bite (as the allergy is starting to show up in a few people outside of the normal range), but tick bites (from a particular species of tick) appear to be the primary cause.

#3139778 - 01/25/13 10:15 PM Re: New Deer Tick disease [Re: BSK]
BSK
Non-Typical

Here's a link for anyone that wants to know more about Mammalian Meat Allergy or the tests used to diagnose it.

http://allergytomeat.wordpress.com/frequently-asked-questions/

Page 2 of 3 <123>

Moderator:  RUGER, Tennessee Todd, Unicam, Cuttin Caller, CBU93, stretch, Bobby G, TurkeyBurd, Kimber45, Mrs.Unicam, Crappie Luck 
Hop to:
Top Posters
RUGER
Deer Assassin
BSK
Crappie Luck
spitndrum
Newest Members
PGIC, jmccormick24, emtp, Hozzie, crushing
13529 Registered Users
Who's Online
122 registered (TeamMainStreet, THEdonkey0515, stilllookin, easy45, Arrowslanger, hoyt30, 13 invisible) and 249 anonymous users online.
Forum Stats
13529 Members
42 Forums
99089 Topics
1165141 Posts

Max Online: 788 @ 11/11/13 08:06 PM
Moon Phase
CURRENT MOON
November
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
2 3 4 5 6 7 8
9 10 11 12 13 14 15
16 17 18 19 20 21 22
23 24 25 26 27 28 29
Forum Donations
The TnDeer.Com Deer Talk Forum is for Tennessee Deer Hunters by Tennessee Deer Hunters. If you enjoy using our Talk Forum and would like to contribute to help in it's up-keep. Just submit your contribution by clicking on the DONATE button below and paying with PayPal or a major credit card. Any amount is much appreciated. Thanks for your support!

TN Burn Safe

Generated in 0.083 seconds in which 0.003 seconds were spent on a total of 15 queries. Zlib compression enabled.