#3138349 - 01/25/13 06:44 AM Social Security & Child Support - question -
ferg
Cancer Free
16 Point

Loc: At the TNDeer shirt factory %^...

I have a question -

My older brother is going to be 60 this year -

He's been thinking about his Social Security -

He owes back child support - now his children are 35 and 30 now - and he paid for many years while they were young.

Here is what happened:

He was ordered to pay child support and alimony -

He paid child support for years - the lost his job and he stopped paying - he child reached 18 and the child support stopped.

His wife did not get remarried for many years and the alimony that he wasn't paying just built up and built up -

She (his ex) went to the court and requested that 'if' the back owed alimony could be converted to 'child support' she would waive any future alimony payments.

And that seems to have happened.

I've been doing some research and it seem that 'child support' is one of only a handful of reasons that Social Security wages can be attached -

But what is not clear to me, is does that include 'back' support and is there no statue of limitations?

In addition, would an 'attachment' to SS be 100% or limited to some lessor number, 50%, like most 'other' debts?

Anyone have any experience in the arena ?

ferg....

USCG(Ret)
Semper Par !

#3138362 - 01/25/13 06:58 AM Re: Social Security & Child Support - question - [Re: ferg]
KPH
10 Point

Loc: Hendersonville Tenn

Need to ask Social Security to get a real answer.

#3138368 - 01/25/13 07:03 AM Re: Social Security & Child Support - question - [Re: KPH]
ferg
Cancer Free
16 Point

I know - I'm on their site now - but it's so full of mumbojumbobullchips \:\(

USCG(Ret)
Semper Par !

#3138369 - 01/25/13 07:05 AM Re: Social Security & Child Support - question - [Re: KPH]
archer19
10 Point

Loc: Erwin, TN

Child support ok.
But the bad place would freeze over before I would pay any kind of alimony no matter what they called it. If I can't live with them, I dang sure not gonna help support you.

SEC hater!

#3138371 - 01/25/13 07:07 AM Re: Social Security & Child Support - question - [Re: archer19]
Unicam Administrator
Grumpaw
16 Point

Loc: Dallas, GA. & Cookeville, TN

Ferg, I if a court finding on support is like a fine from a court for something else, there is no statute of limitations. Once the gavel falls its permanent.
John 15:13

#3138405 - 01/25/13 07:31 AM Re: Social Security & Child Support - question - [Re: Unicam]
mike243
16 Point

Loc: east tn

My stepfather paid back child support til he was almost 70,it only stopped when his exwife passed away.He went a lotta years without paying a nickle by working for his self & before that it was move from state to state til they enacted laws to track the deadbeat dads down

#3138425 - 01/25/13 07:46 AM Re: Social Security & Child Support - question - [Re: mike243]
BlackBelt
10 Point

Loc: SouthWest TN

I dated a woman for a few years who's ex owed her $47K in child support. He worked for himself (drywall installer) and used the systems flaws to evade the state workers trying to find him. The state workers would first identify themselves when calling, so he would say that he was somebody else, even though it was him. Once my girlfriend was in the workers office when they tried to call and had him on speakerphone. He denied that it was him. My girlfriend was telling the worker, "That IS him talking!". But the case worker said there wasn't anything they could do since he said he wasn't that person. Crazy rules.

To answer your question, you really need to contact the child services bureau in your county and ask them. Unless you are in Shelby County (Memphis) they should know and be able to tell you.
If it's Shelby county you are not likely to get an answer unless you ask for a manager.

#3138475 - 01/25/13 08:17 AM Re: Social Security & Child Support - question - [Re: BlackBelt]
ferg
Cancer Free
16 Point

Thanks BB - this a 25 year old case out of northern Michigan - I believe that, from what I've been able to read, that no more than 60% can be withheld from SS to collect on this old debt, but they can keep collecting until it's paid -

I believe that he owes in the neighborhood of 150k - most of that was alimony that was 'converted' over to CS \:\(

USCG(Ret)
Semper Par !

#3138497 - 01/25/13 08:30 AM Re: Social Security & Child Support - question - [Re: ferg]
Grizzly Johnson
Team Grizzly
16 Point

Loc: Tennessee

I'd tell that ----- to stick it up her ---..... back support.... get a dang job like everyone else and support your own lazy self....

Taking care of kids is one thing.... supporting your ex-wife is BS...

#3138509 - 01/25/13 08:34 AM Re: Social Security & Child Support - question - [Re: Grizzly Johnson]
ferg
Cancer Free
16 Point

Originally Posted By: Grizzly Johnson
I'd tell that ----- to stick it up her ---..... back support.... get a dang job like everyone else and support your own lazy self....

Taking care of kids is one thing.... supporting your ex-wife is BS...

That's pretty much what he did say -

so it just kept building up and building up

She didn't remarry for like 20 years so it piled up all that time and the she pulled the 'convert' it all to child support (the back stuff he owed) and we'll just stop the payment requirements and the courts went along with her request......

So all the back stuff is not considered Child support in the eyes of courts, which is too BS

USCG(Ret)
Semper Par !

Page 1 of 2 12>

Moderator:  RUGER, Unicam, gtk, Tennessee Todd, Lakeland Charlie, Cuttin Caller, CBU93, stretch, TurkeyBurd, MAN, Bobby G, Kimber45, Crappie Luck 
Hop to:
Top Posters
RUGER
Deer Assassin
BSK
Crappie Luck
spitndrum
Newest Members
yarddawg54, schiesser, bigdoc, Bggamehunter, willy2763
13605 Registered Users
Who's Online
2 registered (FrontierGander, volunteer1) and 59 anonymous users online.
Forum Stats
13605 Members
43 Forums
100233 Topics
1180121 Posts

Max Online: 788 @ 11/11/13 08:06 PM
Moon Phase
CURRENT MOON
December
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30 31
Forum Donations
The TnDeer.Com Deer Talk Forum is for Tennessee Deer Hunters by Tennessee Deer Hunters. If you enjoy using our Talk Forum and would like to contribute to help in it's up-keep. Just submit your contribution by clicking on the DONATE button below and paying with PayPal or a major credit card. Any amount is much appreciated. Thanks for your support!

TN Burn Safe

Generated in 0.008 seconds in which 0.001 seconds were spent on a total of 15 queries. Zlib compression enabled.