Tndeer Logo

Page 1 of 1 1
Topic Options
#3137962 - 01/24/13 07:02 PM Being mobbed attacked
Encore Eye Candy
10 Point

Loc: 2 Chron. 7:14: Refs signature

sick Online
If you were being attacked by a mob of kids or adults "fear of life", no weapons presented at you. Would you be in trouble for "standing your ground" in Tennessee?

http://www.wavy.com/dpp/news/local_news/norfolk/oreilly-attacks-norfolk-race-relations

NORFOLK, Va. (WAVY) - The controversial mob attack on two Virginian-Pilot reporters in Norfolk is getting national attention. Fox News commentator Bill O'Reilly spoke about the attack Monday night after sending a crew to cover the story over the weekend.

During the show, his producer Jesse Watters said many people in Norfolk felt it was a racially motivated attack: "I think there is a lot of racial animosity in Norfolk."

Here's what concerns many leaders in Norfolk: The producer made this observation after spending Sunday in Norfolk, after ambushing the Pilot editor while he was getting into his car, and flagging down a couple of others he met on the street to get their reaction.

"I was a bit taken back when I saw the O'Reilly factor piece last night," said Norfolk Vice-Mayor Anthony Burfoot who has lived in the city his entire 44 years. "I am out here everyday, and I do not hear that there is this deep racial tension and racial animosity in Norfolk."

Watters goes on about the attack, which even the victims claim was not racially motivated, "(The event) was a lid on the powder keg and all of a sudden it exploded," Watters said.

Burfoot got calls about it, "I had friends that called me from California. They asked, 'What's going on there in Norfolk? Hell, what is going on? I didn't know you had race problems in Norfolk,' and all I could say was we don't have anything going on here," Burfoot said.

Norfolk Mayor Paul Fraim told WAVY.com, "The citizens of Norfolk are concerned about crime wherever and whenever it occurs." Mayor Fraim has lived in Norfolk his entire 62 years, and was especially incensed by this Jesse Watters conclusion, "And a lot people in the black community are using the Trayvon Martin as a leverage to explode." Fraim responded, "We are insulted by that, and that they would link this to something that happened in Florida is ridiculous."

Burfoot goes further than that, saying the Bill O'Reilly producer enflamed to get a reaction, "They are not getting the response that they wanted. They didn't get the reaction, so they then sensationalized it." That, of course, is the negative stereotype of reporters, "Creating a story that is fictitious, and that there is a powder keg in this community, and that race relations are not good, but the relations are good," said Burfoot.

Wardence Butler, who works in Norfolk said in response to the racial animosity allegations, "There will always be racial problems, but there is no overwhelming problems between the races here. There are racial issues, but I don't think it's a powder keg. I don't think we are going to have a revolution anytime soon."

Kent Lee, Sr., felt strongly on the issue, saying, "A powder keg with its top about to blow? No, we are one community out here. We look out for each other, so I don't see the powder keg." Lee's 19-year-old son, Kent Jr. said, "I got white friends. I still play ball with them, so i don't see that powder keg at all."

Longtime City of Norfolk critic, Michael Muhammad, who is always concerned about racial issues in Norfolk, told WAVY.com, "Well, the reality is there is a lot of racial animosity in Norfolk, but it has nothing to do with this story."

Muhammad thinks racial tension in any community like Norfolk deals a lot with economic disparity.

10 On Your Side called O'Reilly producer Jesse Watters, but he did not return our call. Pilot reporter Dave Forster e-mailed us back saying the Norfolk Police have asked him not to speak anymore on this issue.

Edited by Encore Eye Candy (01/24/13 07:03 PM)

#3137982 - 01/24/13 07:15 PM Re: Being mobbed attacked [Re: Encore Eye Candy]
Diehard Hunter
CRAMP
12 Point

Loc: East Tennessee

I did not get in trouble, but I never pointed the gun at any of them. I was able to keep them at bay long enough for the police to get there simply by having the pistol in hand.

I will add that the policeman asked me a couple of very specific questions.

1) did I fear for my life? I answered yes.
2) what made me fear for my life. I answered there were 8 of them and one of me and they were making threats.
3) did I point the gun at them? I answered no, if I had one or more of them would be dead. I only point a gun at something I intend to shoot.

Other witnesses corroborated what I said. Two of the teens went to jail and I went home.

Those were the exact questions and the exact answers that day.

#3138030 - 01/24/13 07:56 PM Re: Being mobbed attacked [Re: Diehard Hunter]
Encore Eye Candy
10 Point

Loc: 2 Chron. 7:14: Refs signature

sick Online
Thanks for sharing Diehard. I see something like this happening here.

I had a friend that was in a wreck and before the police got there a mob grab my friend out of the vehicle and took what they wanted. Even though you cannot protect property in this aspect it could have gotten worst.

What was funny the other car that was in the accident they did not even touch.

Page 1 of 1 1

Moderator:  RUGER, Unicam, gtk, Tennessee Todd, Lakeland Charlie, Cuttin Caller, CBU93, stretch, Outdoor Lady, TurkeyBurd, MAN, Bobby G, Kimber45, Crappie Luck, Kirk 
Hop to:
Top Posters
RUGER
Deer Assassin
BSK
Crappie Luck
spitndrum
Newest Members
PEhunter, Amy pesterfield, Blood seeker, fghijk604245, top_of_the_foodchain
13289 Registered Users
Who's Online
77 registered (fullstream, MidTN, Buckykm1, Encore Eye Candy, Master Chief, Roost 1, 9 invisible) and 155 anonymous users online.
Forum Stats
13289 Members
42 Forums
85412 Topics
1032019 Posts

Max Online: 788 @ 11/11/13 08:06 PM
Moon Phase
CURRENT MOON
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5
6 7 8 9 10 11 12
13 14 15 16 17 18 19
20 21 22 23 24 25 26
27 28 29 30
Forum Donations
The TnDeer.Com Deer Talk Forum is for Tennessee Deer Hunters by Tennessee Deer Hunters. If you enjoy using our Talk Forum and would like to contribute to help in it's up-keep. Just submit your contribution by clicking on the DONATE button below and paying with PayPal or a major credit card. Any amount is much appreciated. Thanks for your support!

TN Burn Safe

Generated in 0.214 seconds in which 0 seconds were spent on a total of 14 queries. Zlib compression enabled.