Tndeer Logo

Page all of 2 12>
Topic Options
#3137706 - 01/24/13 03:37 PM Rub-line Secrets
Vermin93
12 Point

Loc: Dallas, TX & Signal Mtn, TN

Rub-line Secrets by Greg Miller. Anyone read this? I'm about half way through it. I think it's going to help me with my end-of-season and spring scouting.

#3137818 - 01/24/13 05:19 PM Re: Rub-line Secrets [Re: Vermin93]
mathews338
12 Point

Loc: jackson co.

never read it but the secret is to be there the day that the big buck walks by in daylight! J/K!
#3137901 - 01/24/13 06:24 PM Re: Rub-line Secrets [Re: mathews338]
bbuck14
8 Point

Loc: West Tn.

I read it a couple years ago. Very good book.
#3138090 - 01/24/13 08:43 PM Re: Rub-line Secrets [Re: mathews338]
JCDEERMAN
14 Point

Loc: NASHVILLE, TN

Originally Posted By: mathews338
never read it but the secret is to be there the day that the big buck walks by in daylight! J/K!

Right on! That is the big question....."when will he be there?"..... If I was betting my money, it wouldn't be during hunting hours. At the end of bow season is your best bet. Once you hit the rut, sorry, but I'm going to be in the best terrain feature. Even if your 100 yards from all the sign, you have a better bet. It's situational, but all sign tells you is that a buck has been there. This year I found a point that every cedar was rubbed to death, even as big as telephone poles. I'm talking at least 15 of them. I KNEW this wouldn't be a good place to kill that deer, and guess what, it wasn't. Even what I know, I still hunted it, and it didn't produce anything! I knew better but couldn't help myself. One morning when it was drizzling, I got up and still hunted where I was planning on hunting (which was about 200 yards away) , I jumped him. Should have stick with my instincts.

In God we trust

God bless the USA!

#3138167 - 01/24/13 09:35 PM Re: Rub-line Secrets [Re: JCDEERMAN]
Vermin93
12 Point

Originally Posted By: JCDEERMAN
 Originally Posted By: mathews338

Right on! That is the big question....."when will he be there?"..... If I was betting my money, it wouldn't be during hunting hours. At the end of bow season is your best bet. Once you hit the rut, sorry, but I'm going to be in the best terrain feature. Even if your 100 yards from all the sign, you have a better bet. It's situational, but all sign tells you is that a buck has been there. This year I found a point that every cedar was rubbed to death, even as big as telephone poles. I'm talking at least 15 of them. I KNEW this wouldn't be a good place to kill that deer, and guess what, it wasn't. Even what I know, I still hunted it, and it didn't produce anything! I knew better but couldn't help myself. One morning when it was drizzling, I got up and still hunted where I was planning on hunting (which was about 200 yards away) , I jumped him. Should have stick with my instincts.

Actually, if you were to follow the advice in this book you wouldn't have hunted that cluster of cedars unless there was a traceable rub line leading from the cedars to a bedding area. The book emphasizes that isolated rubs or isolated clusters of rubs are exactly that - isolated.

#3138242 - 01/24/13 11:06 PM Re: Rub-line Secrets [Re: Vermin93]
Mike Belt
TnDeer Old Timer
16 Point

Loc: Lakeland, Tn.

I keep rubs/rublines in mind when scouting...especially from one year to the next. True enough, most of them are probably made at night but I've seen bucks rubbing during the day. The time frame is when to concentrate on them. What time of the year are they generally made? If that buck wasn't killed last year and all things being equal the following year he's apt to follow that same general line of travel from the first of Oct up until the rut. That's the prime time for rub hunting.

#3138450 - 01/25/13 08:03 AM Re: Rub-line Secrets [Re: Mike Belt]
BSK
Jerkasourous of the non-typical kind
Non-Typical

Loc: Nashville, TN

Obviously, I've read it (see Chapter 4).

I don't agree with all of Greg's premisses, but I do agree he is on the right track.

"There is no reasoning someone out of a position he has not reasoned himself into." --Clive James

#3138559 - 01/25/13 09:16 AM Re: Rub-line Secrets [Re: BSK]
DntBrnDPig
8 Point

Loc: Cleveland, TN

I thought 'bedding area' was a buzzword used on hunting shows? I have never found 'a bedding area' but I have found deer beds and watched deer bed down just about every where.

I get more and more confused the longer I deer hunt.

#3138633 - 01/25/13 09:53 AM Re: Rub-line Secrets [Re: DntBrnDPig]
benellivol
4 Point

Loc: TN

Originally Posted By: DntBrnDPig
I thought 'bedding area' was a buzzword used on hunting shows? I have never found 'a bedding area' but I have found deer beds and watched deer bed down just about every where.

There's definitely areas where deer are more likely to bed.

#3138681 - 01/25/13 10:18 AM Re: Rub-line Secrets [Re: DntBrnDPig]
RiverBuck10
8 Point

Loc: Hamilton, Co TN

Amen brother

#3138686 - 01/25/13 10:20 AM Re: Rub-line Secrets [Re: benellivol]
Vermin93
12 Point

Originally Posted By: benellivol

There's definitely areas where deer are more likely to bed.

Yes, when the author refers to bedding areas in the book he means larger areas than what many of us assume he means. For example, he referred to a 2-acre bedding area as being a smaller bedding area. An entire swamp could be considered a bedding area. It's not one exact little spot where a buck goes frequently to bed.

#3140546 - 01/26/13 06:29 PM Re: Rub-line Secrets [Re: Vermin93]
Football Hunter
Non-Typical

Loc: Wilson Co/Perry Co

Yep,read it,good book

You wont know,if you dont go!

Page all of 2 12>

Moderator:  RUGER, Tennessee Todd, Unicam, Cuttin Caller, CBU93, stretch, Bobby G, TurkeyBurd, Kimber45, Mrs.Unicam, Crappie Luck 
Hop to:
Top Posters
RUGER
Deer Assassin
BSK
Crappie Luck
spitndrum
Newest Members
JPG3, red arrow, ICUFLY, east_tn_gk, cruiser sailor
13210 Registered Users
Who's Online
7 registered (dogman, Zulu, bassassassin7, shrek, BAMA BOW MERKER, BamaProud, 1 invisible) and 41 anonymous users online.
Forum Stats
13210 Members
42 Forums
91626 Topics
1070944 Posts

Max Online: 788 @ 11/11/13 08:06 PM
Moon Phase
CURRENT MOON
August
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Forum Donations
The TnDeer.Com Deer Talk Forum is for Tennessee Deer Hunters by Tennessee Deer Hunters. If you enjoy using our Talk Forum and would like to contribute to help in it's up-keep. Just submit your contribution by clicking on the DONATE button below and paying with PayPal or a major credit card. Any amount is much appreciated. Thanks for your support!

TN Burn Safe

Generated in 0.085 seconds in which 0.001 seconds were spent on a total of 14 queries. Zlib compression enabled.