Tndeer Logo

Page all of 6 12345>Last »
Topic Options
#3137456 - 01/24/13 12:52 PM Hevi-Shot
Chuck Norris
Spike

Loc: Tennessee

Are they worth the price? Any other shells shoot as good?
#3137483 - 01/24/13 01:02 PM Re: Hevi-Shot [Re: Chuck Norris]
REN
Good ol' Boys "Team Grizzly"
12 Point

Loc: Wilson County, TN

you are gonna get some opinions in this one, however lets be clear on a few facts.

They WILL pattern better out of the majority of guns then lead

They are heavier then lead so they WILL hit harder then lead

They are heavier then lead so you can use a much smaller shot size like #6 or #7 that will hit like a 4 or 5 in lead.

They are WAY more expensive then lead

NO it is not something you HAVE to HAVE to kill turkeys.

now with all that being said IMO it is well worth the change. My gun patterned MUCH better with it to further ranges. With that I gained much more confidence in shooting which equals more birds on the ground.

The way I look at it is you only shoot 4 in a year (if that many) so really it is not all that expensive in the grand scheme of things. In addition you spend tons of money on gear, guns and gas to hunt...why not get the best ammo you can.

just my opinion but I will shoot it as long as i feel the cost is worth it (which is about $24-$28 a box). If i found a lead load that would pattern how my gun does with Hevi i would be fine with shooting it though

John 3:16

#3137500 - 01/24/13 01:09 PM Re: Hevi-Shot [Re: Chuck Norris]
Spurhunter
8 Point

Loc: T County, TN

What REN said. Yes, they are worth it. I shot winchester extended range for several years until I tested them side by side with hevi shot. There was NO comparison. 2 gallons of gas cost more than a hevi shot shell making the shell the cheapest part of the hunt. AND the most critical.

#3137503 - 01/24/13 01:09 PM Re: Hevi-Shot [Re: REN]
woodsman87
8 Point

Loc: south TN

Originally Posted By: REN
you are gonna get some opinions in this one, however lets be clear on a few facts.

They are heavier then lead so you can use a much smaller shot size like #6 or #7 that will hit like a 4 or 5 in lead.

now with all that being said IMO it is well worth the change. My gun patterned MUCH better with it to further ranges. With that I gained much more confidence in shooting which equals more birds on the ground.

The way I look at it is you only shoot 4 in a year (if that many) so really it is not all that expensive in the grand scheme of things. In addition you spend tons of money on gear, guns and gas to hunt...why not get the best ammo you can.

just my opinion but I will shoot it as long as i feel the cost is worth it (which is about $24-$28 a box). If i found a lead load that would pattern how my gun does with Hevi i would be fine with shooting it though

Is it 24$-28$ a box for the five shell boxes or ten? If it is the ten shell boxes I gotta find them where you shop!

#3137511 - 01/24/13 01:17 PM Re: Hevi-Shot [Re: woodsman87]
woodsman87
8 Point

Also, I love the hevi-shot, but hate the brand Hevi-Shot and there are two big reasons. From my experience with the many many Hevi-shot brand Hevi-shot I have bought the actual shotshells are terrible. The ends come apart and the bb's and other things fall out the end. Also, the rim part of the brass gets bummed up really easy and my gun, Remington 11-87, would get to where it couldn't grab them to eject them. Both of these problems would start to happen midway through season after loading and unloading so much. I guess if you never unloaded your gun or killed one everyday it wouldn't do that.

When Remington owned Hevi-shot and first came out with the shells they were awesome, simply because they didn't dang fall apart.

I use the Winchester extended range now, same price as Hevi-shot brand, and I think it is the same kind of metal. The shells on them do not tear up. They pattern as good as Hevi-Shot does too, out of my gun/choke that is.

Maybe Hevi-shot shotshells have changed, and if one of you tells me they don't tear up anymore I may go get me some. But I quite using them, and I have gone through many of them before I finally got tired of fooling with them.

#3137519 - 01/24/13 01:22 PM Re: Hevi-Shot [Re: woodsman87]
woodsman87
8 Point

I have also had great patterns with, I think cannot remember fully, is just the lead federal Mag-shoks with the flight controlled wad in them. Twice as cheap as hevi-shot, and I am about as comfortable with them as I am with the heavy metal shells.

And I always use #5s or #6s. I have never gotten good patterns with #4s. Or not as good as 5s or 6s at least.

#3137562 - 01/24/13 01:51 PM Re: Hevi-Shot [Re: woodsman87]
Andy S.
TnDeer Old Timer
14 Point

Loc: Atoka, TN

IMO, yes they are worth it IF your gun/choke combination will shoot them accurately (POA=POI) and uniformly without voids in your pattern. The two main things that stick out in my mind since switching to Hevi-Shot is the turkeys flop less right after the shot and they bleed a TON more. My .02

If I had saved all the money I spent on hunting, I'd spend it on hunting.

#3137588 - 01/24/13 02:07 PM Re: Hevi-Shot [Re: Andy S.]
Rockhound
10 Point

Loc: Lawrence Co. TN

Definitely worth it in my opinion! I said that i would not pay that price for shells when i was doing fine the way i was, until i shot a gobbler with the 2-3/8 oz load of #5's and he did not quiver! Killed another the next day with the same results. I killed two hens with one shot at 40 yds this past fall and let me tell you, i had a bloody mess! Broke wings broke legs and jelly heads.

Its high but i buy a box every time i can just so i have it, imfixing to invest in about 4 lb. Of tss so the hevi and federal heavyweight will be stockpiled.
Isaiah 40:31.... Those who wait upon The Lord .....shall renew there strength ......

#3137591 - 01/24/13 02:10 PM Re: Hevi-Shot [Re: Andy S.]
Spurhunter
8 Point

Originally Posted By: Andy S.
The two main things that stick out in my mind since switching to Hevi-Shot is the turkeys flop less right after the shot and they bleed a TON more. My .02

Andy, I believe this is due to the irregular shape of the pellets. Kind of like shooting a deer with an old round ball vs. a bullet that opens up on contact. I might be in left field with that analogy but it makes sense to me.

#3137605 - 01/24/13 02:24 PM Re: Hevi-Shot [Re: woodsman87]
REN
12 Point

Originally Posted By: woodsman87

Is it 24$-28$ a box for the five shell boxes or ten? If it is the ten shell boxes I gotta find them where you shop!

5 per box

I still find 3" magblends for $24 which is fine by me but i have a pretty good collection so i dont really HAVE to buy any any time soon.

Edited by REN (01/24/13 02:25 PM)

#3137616 - 01/24/13 02:28 PM Re: Hevi-Shot [Re: woodsman87]
REN
12 Point

Also, I love the hevi-shot, but hate the brand Hevi-Shot and there are two big reasons. From my experience with the many many Hevi-shot brand Hevi-shot I have bought the actual shotshells are terrible. The ends come apart and the bb's and other things fall out the end. Also, the rim part of the brass gets bummed up really easy and my gun, Remington 11-87, would get to where it couldn't grab them to eject them. Both of these problems would start to happen midway through season after loading and unloading so much. I guess if you never unloaded your gun or killed one everyday it wouldn't do that.

I use the Winchester extended range now, same price as Hevi-shot brand, and I think it is the same kind of metal. The shells on them do not tear up. They pattern as good as Hevi-Shot does too, out of my gun/choke that is.

Maybe Hevi-shot shotshells have changed, and if one of you tells me they don't tear up anymore I may go get me some. But I quite using them, and I have gone through many of them before I finally got tired of fooling with them.

1. i have not had any issues with quality, when i shot the straight #7 i tried to always get the same lot#s as there seemed to be good and bad, HOWEVER with the magblends i have not found an issue from lot to lot.

2. the Xtended range is not the same as the Hevi shot...Xtended range is 10% heavier then lead and Hevi is %20 if i remember correctly

I shot the Xtended range for a while but switched as the Hevi just shot way better in my guns.

#3137640 - 01/24/13 02:38 PM Re: Hevi-Shot [Re: REN]
muddyboots
12 Point

Loc: savannah, tn., usa

Worth it too me.

#3137677 - 01/24/13 03:11 PM Re: Hevi-Shot [Re: muddyboots]
Grizzly Johnson Moderator
Team Grizzly
16 Point

Only thing you will find better are NITRO shells (Production wise)..... they are about $8-$10 per shell.

Well that is unless you handload turkey shells..... that opens up a whole new game.

#3137713 - 01/24/13 03:42 PM Re: Hevi-Shot [Re: REN]
Lawrence
8 Point

Loc: MT. Juliet Tennessee

I think so
The I shoot the 3" blends

BOOM

#3137742 - 01/24/13 04:13 PM Re: Hevi-Shot [Re: muddyboots]
Jarred525
8 Point

Loc: Giles Tennessee

Originally Posted By: muddyboots
Worth it too me.
x2

#3137743 - 01/24/13 04:13 PM Re: Hevi-Shot [Re: Lawrence]
deerhunter10
10 Point

Loc: maury county tn

worth every single penny imo

#3138067 - 01/24/13 08:26 PM Re: Hevi-Shot [Re: woodsman87]
JChunts
Spike

Loc: Cullman, Al/Wayne county TN

I have also had great patterns with, I think cannot remember fully, is just the lead federal Mag-shoks with the flight controlled wad in them. Twice as cheap as hevi-shot, and I am about as comfortable with them as I am with the heavy metal shells.

And I always use #5s or #6s. I have never gotten good patterns with #4s. Or not as good as 5s or 6s at least.

I shoot the federal 5s with the flight control wad. I've patterned them next to hevi-shot out of my 835 and can't tell much difference out to 40 yards other than the price.

#3138069 - 01/24/13 08:29 PM Re: Hevi-Shot [Re: JChunts]
JChunts
Spike

Loc: Cullman, Al/Wayne county TN

That still doesn't account for the knock down power you guys are talking about though. I have not shot a bird with the hevi-shots yet. I purchased some after last turkey season because my cousin raved about them.
#3138166 - 01/24/13 09:34 PM Re: Hevi-Shot [Re: REN]
Rockhound
10 Point

1. i have not had any issues with quality, when i shot the straight #7 i tried to always get the same lot#s as there seemed to be good and bad, HOWEVER with the magblends i have not found an issue from lot to lot.

2. the Xtended range is not the same as the Hevi shot...Xtended range is 10% heavier then lead and Hevi is %20 if i remember correctly

I shot the Xtended range for a while but switched as the Hevi just shot way better in my guns.

Xtended range and hevi shot are both 12 g/cc making them the same.
Isaiah 40:31.... Those who wait upon The Lord .....shall renew there strength ......

#3138178 - 01/24/13 09:43 PM Re: Hevi-Shot [Re: Spurhunter]
Rockhound
10 Point

Originally Posted By: Spurhunter
The two main things that stick out in my mind since switching to Hevi-Shot is the turkeys flop less right after the shot and they bleed a TON more. My .02

Andy, I believe this is due to the irregular shape of the pellets. Kind of like shooting a deer with an old round ball vs. a bullet that opens up on contact. I might be in left field with that analogy but it makes sense to me.

Hevishot is irregular shaped but it is way harder than lead, lead mushrooms or flattens on impact, hevi does not.

2 reasons Turkeys don't flop as much with hevi.

1. Harder shot equals better pattern so more shot on target/in killzone

2. Hevi is denser so it penetrates farther, breaking more bone, tearing more flesh and blood than lead. Even #6 and #5 hevi will penetrate to the heart and lungs and lead will not
I

#3138205 - 01/24/13 10:14 PM Re: Hevi-Shot [Re: REN]
booth
4 Point

Loc: TN

The old hevi 13 were 13g cc now they have dropped to around 12g cc. So a hevi 7 is equivalent to a lead 6.
#3138208 - 01/24/13 10:16 PM Re: Hevi-Shot [Re: Rockhound]
Spurhunter
8 Point

Rock, I was comparing hevi shot to xtended range which is round pellets of the same density. Sorry for the confusion.

#3138423 - 01/25/13 07:46 AM Re: Hevi-Shot [Re: booth]
Andy S.
TnDeer Old Timer
14 Point

Originally Posted By: booth
The old hevi 13 were 13g cc now they have dropped to around 12g cc.
This is news to me, when did this happen? I was under the impression that Hevi-Shot was 12g cc but Hevi-13 was 13g cc? Is this not the case?

HEVI-13 states "HEVI-13 pellets are about 20% denser than lead and penetrate far deeper." Lead density is 11.3g cc, so 20% denser would be 13.5 g cc. I could swallow 13 g cc, but if they are advertising their shot is 20% denser than lead and producing and selling something that is 6% denser, that is very misleading.

These have always been the density values that I learned and used in my calculations:

Steel - 7.5g cc, Bismuth - 9.6g cc, Unplated Lead - 11.3g cc, Hevi-Shot & Remington HD - 12g cc, HEVI-13 - 13g cc, Federal heavyweight - 15.2g cc, and Tungsten Super Shot - 18g cc.

#3138433 - 01/25/13 07:50 AM Re: Hevi-Shot [Re: Spurhunter]
Andy S.
TnDeer Old Timer
14 Point

Andy, I believe this is due to the irregular shape of the pellets.
I agree 100% and so does my good friend who has been shooting Nitro's since they first hit the market 10 or more years ago. We both agree the irregular shape of the shot is a key player in the killing power, as well as the denser shot, thus more penetration at similar velocities.

#3138484 - 01/25/13 08:21 AM Re: Hevi-Shot [Re: Grizzly Johnson]
sellsman11
6 Point

Loc: Adamsville

Originally Posted By: Grizzly Johnson
Only thing you will find better are NITRO shells (Production wise)..... they are about $8-$10 per shell.

I agree 100%. They are $6 around here.

#3138495 - 01/25/13 08:28 AM Re: Hevi-Shot [Re: sellsman11]
Andy S.
TnDeer Old Timer
14 Point

Originally Posted By: sellsman11
I agree 100%. They are $6 around here.
FWIW, I paid $8/shell last year including tax for H517T 3.5", and I called my local vendor just now and he quoted me $45.89 including tax for those same 5 shells, so that is $9.18 per shell. My buddy just placed an order with Nitro last week and he too said the prices had went up some from last year.

Edited by Andy S. (01/25/13 08:29 AM)

#3138585 - 01/25/13 09:34 AM Re: Hevi-Shot [Re: Andy S.]
Rockhound
10 Point

Originally Posted By: booth
The old hevi 13 were 13g cc now they have dropped to around 12g cc.
This is news to me, when did this happen? I was under the impression that Hevi-Shot was 12g cc but Hevi-13 was 13g cc? Is this not the case?

HEVI-13 states "HEVI-13 pellets are about 20% denser than lead and penetrate far deeper." Lead density is 11.3g cc, so 20% denser would be 13.5 g cc. I could swallow 13 g cc, but if they are advertising their shot is 20% denser than lead and producing and selling something that is 6% denser, that is very misleading.

These have always been the density values that I learned and used in my calculations:

Steel - 7.5g cc, Bismuth - 9.6g cc, Unplated Lead - 11.3g cc, Hevi-Shot & Remington HD - 12g cc, HEVI-13 - 13g cc, Federal heavyweight - 15.2g cc, and Tungsten Super Shot - 18g cc.

It has been like that for a couple of years now, het still advertise the same and no one would know it if handloaders had not measured the density.

#3138609 - 01/25/13 09:43 AM Re: Hevi-Shot [Re: Andy S.]
Rockhound
10 Point

Andy, I believe this is due to the irregular shape of the pellets.
I agree 100% and so does my good friend who has been shooting Nitro's since they first hit the market 10 or more years ago. We both agree the irregular shape of the shot is a key player in the killing power, as well as the denser shot, thus more penetration at similar velocities.

I dont see how.that is possible, the one big thing is penetration, but the biggest thing is more pellets on target.

With lead you break one vertebrae where hevi that patterns better will break 10 vertebrate ( just an example)

Hevi patterns great but i guarantee that if EM produced perfectly round shot it would pattern even tighter. Deformed shot causes flyers.

Square bullets wouldn't kill any better than round ones...

#3138629 - 01/25/13 09:51 AM Re: Hevi-Shot [Re: Rockhound]
Andy S.
TnDeer Old Timer
14 Point

Originally Posted By: Rockhound
....if handloaders had not measured the density.
Did you measure the density? If so, how? If not, who did? If not you, provide the source as I would like to read about their experiment and results. Thanks.

#3138640 - 01/25/13 09:57 AM Re: Hevi-Shot [Re: Rockhound]
Andy S.
TnDeer Old Timer
14 Point

Deformed shot causes flyers.
How do you figure this to be the case? If it is true, one sure could not tell it by looking at my paper targets.

Square bullets wouldn't kill any better than round ones...
Our thinking is the irregularities in the shot cut and destroy flesh, tissue, organs and such jut as a serrated knife would when compared to a smooth blade knife. The result is a more nasty wound if you will. We do not have any scientific data to support this, just something we have theorized over the years of shooting Nitro and Hevi shells and witnessing their destruction on turkeys.

#3138674 - 01/25/13 10:15 AM Re: Hevi-Shot [Re: Rockhound]
REN
12 Point

Xtended range and hevi shot are both 12 g/cc making them the same.

ok good to know, I for some reason thought Xtended said they were 10% heavier and Hevi was %15-%20 and Heavyweight was like %30. those could all be WAY off though

#3138697 - 01/25/13 10:24 AM Re: Hevi-Shot [Re: Andy S.]
Rockhound
10 Point

....if handloaders had not measured the density.
Did you measure the density? If so, how? If not, who did? If not you, provide the source as I would like to read about their experiment and results. Thanks.

I haven't measured it personally, im going to p.m. you a link

#3138709 - 01/25/13 10:27 AM Re: Hevi-Shot [Re: Rockhound]
Andy S.
TnDeer Old Timer
14 Point

10-4, thanks Rockhound.

#3138724 - 01/25/13 10:36 AM Re: Hevi-Shot [Re: Andy S.]
woodsman87
8 Point

Im not a "shellologist" like yall, yall got me to thinking alot though.
Are Hevi-shot and Winchester Xtended the same or not?

I have seen Hevi-shot and Hevi-13, what are the differences in those? I have heard of Nitros, but I will not pay that much when I know Hevi or just lead can kill turkeys too.

So, which is the best shell besides Nitros? I'm going shell shopping soon.

#3138729 - 01/25/13 10:40 AM Re: Hevi-Shot [Re: Rockhound]
Roost 1
10 Point

Loc: KY

I think y'all are over-thinking this....more uniform pellets would fly better than irregular shaped ones... The reason the hevi shot is more destructive isn't because it's heavier than lead its because there is more of it in the shells. Most of these shells (3 1/2") have at least 2 1/4 0z of shot. Nitros may have more.. The weight plus the added number of pellets causes the patterns to be better. It's like hitting something with one pellet as opposed to hitting same target with 30. End result is same but way more damage with more shot on target..the shape of shot doesn't matter and actually because lead does deform it actually does more damage but not as much of it in target.. Hevi shot is hard like steel...you need more of it to do the job but it works. This is why people like the hevi 7s there are so many more pellets in a shell it just patterns great and it devastating.. This is all just my opinion for what it's worth.... I will say this I am getting to point I don't care to pay these high prices for these shells when anything will kill a turkey at 30-35 yards and that seems to be the average shot for me.

Z7extreme
Savage 10ML 2
Remington 700P .308

#3138734 - 01/25/13 10:44 AM Re: Hevi-Shot [Re: Roost 1]
woodsman87
8 Point

30-35 yard is definately about my average shot Roost 1.

And I have never used the #7s, and not at all saying they dont work but I would think for more down range energy and knockdown power #5s or #6s would be better, but of course it is less pellets.

Yall fill me in, I may just try the 7s

#3138739 - 01/25/13 10:45 AM Re: Hevi-Shot [Re: woodsman87]
Andy S.
TnDeer Old Timer
14 Point

So, which is the best shell besides Nitros?
If Nitro went out of business tomorrow, I would have zero worries shooting the 3.5" Hevi-Shot MagBlends in my setup as they shoot great too. I have witnessed their devastating results on turkeys as well.

#3138744 - 01/25/13 10:48 AM Re: Hevi-Shot [Re: Andy S.]
woodsman87
8 Point

I may try the Hevi MagBlends Andy. My dad uses them and he loves them. It is always best to try a shot pattern out of your set-up before you hunt, but I hate buying a box of five shells for nearly 30$, and then using a shell to see.

Any of yall shoot an 11-87 super mag 3.5" Hevi Magblends with a Primos Tight wad choke? Not sure what constriction no my choke is.

#3138753 - 01/25/13 10:52 AM Re: Hevi-Shot [Re: woodsman87]
Roost 1
10 Point

30-35 yard is definately about my average shot Roost 1.

And I have never used the #7s, and not at all saying they dont work but I would think for more down range energy and knockdown power #5s or #6s would be better, but of course it is less pellets.

Yall fill me in, I may just try the 7s

I don't use 7's either for above mentioned reasons. But this may be old school thinking because hevi shot is different than lead... However at 30-35 yds lead will do the job and has done it very nicely over the years... Heck at 35 yds lead and a full choke gets the job done... Thing is is everybody today wants to be able to put x number of pellets in 10" target. Not knocking anyone but it has become a pissing contest... I would bet some guys shoot way more targets than turkeys... I am more interested in killing birds than bragging on how many pellets I can put in a 10" target at 40yds..... I am sure I just opened a can of worms.... Oh well!!!

Z7extreme
Savage 10ML 2
Remington 700P .308

#3138758 - 01/25/13 10:54 AM Re: Hevi-Shot [Re: Roost 1]
REN
12 Point

I shot 7s for a few years with AWESOME results, i switched to Magblends mainly because they are MUCH easier to find locally or online and usually are a tad cheaper.

I got tired to trying to find 7's and find ones with the lot numbers i wanted. as far as performance they are pretty nasty!

#3138759 - 01/25/13 10:54 AM Re: Hevi-Shot [Re: Roost 1]
Andy S.
TnDeer Old Timer
14 Point

Originally Posted By: Roost 1
...I am getting to point I don't care to pay these high prices for these shells when anything will kill a turkey at 30-35 yards and that seems to be the average shot for me.
Very plausible statement. I, too, oftentimes tell myself and others that it sucks to pay $5-8/shell, but then I put it into perspective by reminding myself that one weekend of gas for me is more than a season of turkey shells needed if just hunting in TN. Just another way to look at it I guess.

#3138767 - 01/25/13 10:56 AM Re: Hevi-Shot [Re: Roost 1]
woodsman87
8 Point

Im still a young man, but a grew up with a couple of old-school turkey hunters that used to hunt way back when with rabbit ear double barrel 12 gauges with just regular high brass 2.75" #4s

And Hevi-shot and Nitros is definately way better and I always want to try to use any of the heaver than lead shells. But lead will still do it to it.

#3138780 - 01/25/13 11:03 AM Re: Hevi-Shot [Re: Andy S.]
Roost 1
10 Point

...I am getting to point I don't care to pay these high prices for these shells when anything will kill a turkey at 30-35 yards and that seems to be the average shot for me.
Very plausible statement. I, too, oftentimes tell myself and others that it sucks to pay $5-8/shell, but then I put it into perspective by reminding myself that one weekend of gas for me is more than a season of turkey shells needed if just hunting in TN. Just another way to look at it I guess.

I agree... That is my reasoning as well but there will come a time when I decide enough is enough... However the lead Winchester high velocity shells are upwards of $20/box so prolly can't win either way... Lol

Z7extreme
Savage 10ML 2
Remington 700P .308

#3138836 - 01/25/13 11:37 AM Re: Hevi-Shot [Re: Roost 1]
Andy S.
TnDeer Old Timer
14 Point

.... the lead Winchester high velocity shells are upwards of $20/box ....
These are the lead shells I would shoot if I had to switch to lead today. I shot them for 10 years and was very pleased with their results.

#3138865 - 01/25/13 12:06 PM Re: Hevi-Shot [Re: Andy S.]
Grizzly Johnson Moderator
Team Grizzly
16 Point

.... the lead Winchester high velocity shells are upwards of $20/box ....
These are the lead shells I would shoot if I had to switch to lead today. I shot them for 10 years and was very pleased with their results.

Those are the ones I started with as well in #5's ..... with a Kicks .665 in the ole 870sm.

#3138873 - 01/25/13 12:13 PM Re: Hevi-Shot [Re: Grizzly Johnson]
REN
12 Point

same here, I shot the WHV for a long time with pretty good results. as stated previously i dont mind paying it at the moment but there will be a limit at some point. I have told myself when they get to $30 a box i am done!

Edited by REN (01/25/13 12:14 PM)

#3139095 - 01/25/13 02:29 PM Re: Hevi-Shot [Re: Roost 1]
Rockhound
10 Point

I think y'all are over-thinking this....more uniform pellets would fly better than irregular shaped ones... The reason the hevi shot is more destructive isn't because it's heavier than lead its because there is more of it in the shells. Most of these shells (3 1/2") have at least 2 1/4 0z of shot. Nitros may have more.. The weight plus the added number of pellets causes the patterns to be better. It's like hitting something with one pellet as opposed to hitting same target with 30. End result is same but way more damage with more shot on target..the shape of shot doesn't matter and actually because lead does deform it actually does more damage but not as much of it in target.. Hevi shot is hard like steel...you need more of it to do the job but it works. This is why people like the hevi 7s there are so many more pellets in a shell it just patterns great and it devastating.. This is all just my opinion for what it's worth.... I will say this I am getting to point I don't care to pay these high prices for these shells when anything will kill a turkey at 30-35 yards and that seems to be the average shot for me.

Exactly what i have said in previous comments

#3139106 - 01/25/13 02:37 PM Re: Hevi-Shot [Re: Rockhound]
Rockhound
10 Point

Ok sorry andy my phone died and i fell asleep before i p.m. you the link.

Roost is dead on its about more pellets on target that does the killing.

Hevi has went to 12 g/cc

13 g/cc is now known as mega weight and sold by nitro ray but not in hevi brand ammo.

Federal heavyweight is currently running about 15-15.5g/cc

Tss is 18g/cc

One thing that tells me that it is not possible for the shape of the shot to make enough difference to mean anything is, tss shot is perfectly round and a tss #8 or #9 load will kill birds harder and farther than a hevi 5,6,7 ever even thought about

#3139345 - 01/25/13 05:36 PM Re: Hevi-Shot [Re: Roost 1]
Andy S.
TnDeer Old Timer
14 Point

I would bet some guys shoot way more targets than turkeys.....
Not I.

I am more interested in killing birds than bragging on how many pellets I can put in a 10" target at 40yds.....
Same here.

#3139374 - 01/25/13 05:58 PM Re: Hevi-Shot [Re: Andy S.]
muddyboots
12 Point

Im like andy if nitros werent available i would use mag blends. I use nitros because if he hangs up at 50 yards i know i can put him in the back of the truck. JMO

#3139553 - 01/25/13 07:58 PM Re: Hevi-Shot [Re: muddyboots]
Rockhound
10 Point

Im like andy if nitros werent available i would use mag blends. I use nitros because if he hangs up at 50 yards i know i can put him in the back of the truck. JMO

I started using hevi in case they hung up at 50, i started using heavyweight in case they hung up past that, im going to tss 8's in case.... well we wont go there...

#3139625 - 01/25/13 08:41 PM Re: Hevi-Shot [Re: Rockhound]
muddyboots
12 Point

I started using hevi in case they hung up at 50, i started using heavyweight in case they hung up past that, im going to tss 8's in case.... well we wont go there...

yea I sugar coated it.

Page all of 6 12345>Last »

Moderator:  RUGER, Bobby G, Unicam, Cuttin Caller, CBU93, stretch, TurkeyBurd, Kimber45, Mrs.Unicam, Crappie Luck, Grizzly Johnson 
Hop to:
Top Posters
RUGER
Deer Assassin
BSK
Crappie Luck
spitndrum
Newest Members
lovetohunt96, Csfraley, Big Dc, JaxTN870, IDOT
13410 Registered Users
Who's Online
110 registered (Homebrewer, 444 Fan, Clay Criner, wjohnson1983, Beekeeper, piney, 11 invisible) and 172 anonymous users online.
Forum Stats
13410 Members
42 Forums
96561 Topics
1130675 Posts

Max Online: 788 @ 11/11/13 08:06 PM
Moon Phase
CURRENT MOON
October
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Forum Donations
The TnDeer.Com Deer Talk Forum is for Tennessee Deer Hunters by Tennessee Deer Hunters. If you enjoy using our Talk Forum and would like to contribute to help in it's up-keep. Just submit your contribution by clicking on the DONATE button below and paying with PayPal or a major credit card. Any amount is much appreciated. Thanks for your support!

TN Burn Safe

Generated in 0.056 seconds in which 0.001 seconds were spent on a total of 14 queries. Zlib compression enabled.