Tndeer Logo

Page 1 of 2 12>
Topic Options
#3136750 - 01/24/13 12:09 AM Just ordered some seeds
catman529
spiderboy
16 Point

Loc: Franklin TN

just placed two orders and will get the broccoli planted under the lights soon as it arrives. If I had done better last year and actually saved tomato seeds, I would barely have to buy any. I only saved ghost chili seeds from last year. Couldn't save my favorite cherry tomato though - sungold F1 (hybrid). Gotta buy that one every year.

The seeds I just bought are -

tomato - Sungold F1
tomato - Red Brandywine
tomato - Indian Stripe
Broccoli - Di Ciccio

I have a couple leftover seed packets for certain tomato varieties too. But I am not going to grow half the tomatoes I did last year. Too much to keep up with. I will use the extra space for cantaloupes and butternut squash and/or cheese pumpkins.

It's getting to be that time... still got a month before I plant pepper and eggplant seeds, and a little longer before I plant tomatoes, but I gotta make sure I have the seeds I want and it's already getting late to order seeds.

#3136910 - 01/24/13 07:28 AM Re: Just ordered some seeds [Re: catman529]
Nimrod777
Non-Typical

Loc: Spring Hill, TN

Man, can't believe I've already got my head in the garden forum. My first-time-plot had awfully sketchy results this past year.

#3137421 - 01/24/13 12:23 PM Re: Just ordered some seeds [Re: Nimrod777]
Crosshairy
10 Point

Loc: Bartlett, TN

Catman, do you can/jar your tomatoes or just eat lots of them as they grow?

I have never gotten into canning personally (only made my first jars of preserves last fall), but it seems like the ticket for stretching the fruits of your labor - pun intended - across several seasons.

Most folks in my family don't eat raw tomatoes, but we love them cooked into dishes. I'm thinking of growing some and then doing big batches of stewed tomatoes into jars.

#3137955 - 01/24/13 06:59 PM Re: Just ordered some seeds [Re: Crosshairy]
Diehard Hunter
CRAMP
12 Point

Loc: East Tennessee

Canning tomatoes makes the work worthwhile. I plan on growing enough to can this year. Not sure what variety yet. Planing on more okra, peppers, and beans too. The less I visit the grocery store this coming year the better.

#3138222 - 01/24/13 10:31 PM Re: Just ordered some seeds [Re: Diehard Hunter]
catman529
spiderboy
16 Point

Loc: Franklin TN

I dont have a pressure cooker to can them but I could if the acidity is high enough for a water bath. Haven't tried it though. Grew too many tomatoes last year, downsizing this year. More room for cantaloupes... speaking of which, gotta buy cantaloupe seeds too.

#3138401 - 01/25/13 07:30 AM Re: Just ordered some seeds [Re: catman529]
jb3
10 Point

Loc: Burns, TN

Canning and pickling tomatoes this year. Had a pastrami sandwich with pickled green tomatoes on it and it was awesome.
#3138416 - 01/25/13 07:39 AM Re: Just ordered some seeds [Re: catman529]
Diehard Hunter
CRAMP
12 Point

Loc: East Tennessee

Originally Posted By: catman529
I dont have a pressure cooker to can them but I could if the acidity is high enough for a water bath. Haven't tried it though. Grew too many tomatoes last year, downsizing this year. More room for cantaloupes... speaking of which, gotta buy cantaloupe seeds too.

We never used a pressure cooker for tomatoes. We did use a vey large pot to heat them in, then sealed the tops with a water bath. We did scald and peal the tomatoes before we canned them, and added a little salt to each jar.

#3138555 - 01/25/13 09:13 AM Re: Just ordered some seeds [Re: Diehard Hunter]
woodchuckc
8 Point

Loc: Hickman County, TN

Just a note regarding canning tomatoes with a water bath canner - some of the new hybrid varieties actually have a low enough acid content to not make them safe to can except using a pressure canner. You can add some vinegar to lower the pH to a safe level for water bath canning, as it is the low (acid) pH that prevents botulism and other nasties from growing (and why you cannot safely water bath can beans and other garden veggies or meats). Of course, all of the old heirloom / open pollinated tomatoes that we have canned for years are fine, but if you are growing some of the new hybrids (especially those that are marketed as being "low acid") you probably want to take that into consideration.
#3138890 - 01/25/13 12:31 PM Re: Just ordered some seeds [Re: woodchuckc]
Crosshairy
10 Point

Loc: Bartlett, TN

Originally Posted By: woodchuckc
Just a note regarding canning tomatoes with a water bath canner - some of the new hybrid varieties actually have a low enough acid content to not make them safe to can except using a pressure canner. You can add some vinegar to lower the pH to a safe level for water bath canning, as it is the low (acid) pH that prevents botulism and other nasties from growing (and why you cannot safely water bath can beans and other garden veggies or meats). Of course, all of the old heirloom / open pollinated tomatoes that we have canned for years are fine, but if you are growing some of the new hybrids (especially those that are marketed as being "low acid") you probably want to take that into consideration.

Good info that I was completely ignorant of. I guess that's why pickling was so common back in the day, huh?

#3142351 - 01/28/13 11:35 AM Re: Just ordered some seeds [Re: Crosshairy]
wlf89
8 Point

Loc: Lawrence County

hey catman have you ever tried the gurneys giant canteloupe? i did 2yrs ago and had some about 14+lbs and they was sweet to. the best all around one i have tried but the seeds are kinda pricey. out of the 2 vines that didnt drown in a flood we had i bet i had 15-20 of them and none of them under 8-10lbs
Page 1 of 2 12>

Moderator:  gtk, TeamTndeer, Cuttin Caller, Unicam, RUGER, Bobby G, Kimber45, Mrs.Unicam, Crappie Luck 
Hop to:
Top Posters
RUGER
Deer Assassin
BSK
Crappie Luck
spitndrum
Newest Members
yarddawg54, schiesser, bigdoc, Bggamehunter, willy2763
13605 Registered Users
Who's Online
1 registered (dfleming) and 47 anonymous users online.
Forum Stats
13605 Members
43 Forums
100233 Topics
1180122 Posts

Max Online: 788 @ 11/11/13 08:06 PM
Moon Phase
CURRENT MOON
December
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30 31
Forum Donations
The TnDeer.Com Deer Talk Forum is for Tennessee Deer Hunters by Tennessee Deer Hunters. If you enjoy using our Talk Forum and would like to contribute to help in it's up-keep. Just submit your contribution by clicking on the DONATE button below and paying with PayPal or a major credit card. Any amount is much appreciated. Thanks for your support!

TN Burn Safe

Generated in 0.005 seconds in which 0.001 seconds were spent on a total of 15 queries. Zlib compression enabled.