Page 2 of 9 <12345>Last »
Topic Options
#3136137 - 01/23/13 02:14 PM Re: Question? Guns at work. [Re: scn]
Unicam Administrator
Grumpaw
16 Point

Loc: Dallas, GA. & Cookeville, TN

Originally Posted By: scn
Guns in parking lots was a contentious issue in the legislature last year, and supposedly cost one representative her seat. I will be surprised if it doesn't come back up again this year.

From what I've read, until the legislature changes the law employers do have the right to ban guns on their property including those of carry permit holders.

Good post sir!

John 15:13

#3136139 - 01/23/13 02:20 PM Re: Question? Guns at work. [Re: strutandrut]
Vermin93
12 Point

Loc: Dallas, TX & Signal Mtn, TN

shocked Online
They passed legislation for this down here in Texas in 2011. Some of you may be interested in what is and isn't legally allowed:

Texas Guns at Work Law

It would be good to see Tennessee join this list of States...

"Texas joins a number of other states that have enacted these so-called “parking lot” laws in the past several years, including Alaska, Arizona, Florida, Georgia, Indiana, Kansas, Kentucky, Louisiana, Maine, Minnesota, Mississippi, Nebraska, Oklahoma, and Utah. "

#3136140 - 01/23/13 02:22 PM Re: Question? Guns at work. [Re: Vermin93]
Unicam Administrator
Grumpaw
16 Point

Ours was passed in SB-308 or SB-89, cant remember which...I guess I need to ead up on my state a little more. Federal property is a little different for me though.

#3136146 - 01/23/13 02:28 PM Re: Question? Guns at work. [Re: scn]
Kimber45 Moderator
Peace Maker
16 Point

Loc: Close to Jackson, TN

Guns in parking lots was a contentious issue in the legislature last year, and supposedly cost one representative her seat. I will be surprised if it doesn't come back up again this year.

From what I've read, until the legislature changes the law employers do have the right to ban guns on their property including those of carry permit holders.

I believe you're right however, in order for them to have a right to search your vehicle you'd either have to:
* Agree by signing some agreement prior to or during employment
or
* Have been talking about what you have in your vehicle (at which point they could only ask you to leave if you refused)

Right?

#3136156 - 01/23/13 02:35 PM Re: Question? Guns at work. [Re: Kimber45]
Unicam Administrator
Grumpaw
16 Point

Originally Posted By: Kimber45

I believe you're right however, in order for them to have a right to search your vehicle you'd either have to:
or
* Have been talking about what you have in your vehicle (at which point they could only ask you to leave if you refused)

Right?

I know of a lady down here who was fired for not letting them search her vehicle, this was in 10 or 11 before the law changed.

#3136166 - 01/23/13 02:42 PM Re: Question? Guns at work. [Re: Kimber45]
scn
14 Point

Loc: Brentwood, TN US

Originally Posted By: Kimber45

or

Right?

I have no idea on what an employer can and cannot do. My training is on the LE end for searches.

#3136169 - 01/23/13 02:47 PM Re: Question? Guns at work. [Re: Unicam]
waynesworld
8 Point

Loc: Mboro, Tennessee

In TN you can be fired for any thing except for the protected reasons. Race and what not. But if you are fired you have a right for unemployment unless they prove you were fired for just cause. Most places a work would have trouble forcing you to allow them to search your vehicle and if you have your gun locked in a box in the trunk it would even be more difficult for them to make you open the locked box. But could you still be fired? Of course. There are some places that they may have ability to search, like working at the federal reserve, Nissan plant, correction facility.
#3136174 - 01/23/13 02:54 PM Re: Question? Guns at work. [Re: waynesworld]
89cherokeelimited
6 Point

Loc: TN, Sumner, Hendersonville

Originally Posted By: waynesworld
In TN you can be fired for any thing except for the protected reasons. Race and what not. But if you are fired you have a right for unemployment unless they prove you were fired for just cause. Most places a work would have trouble forcing you to allow them to search your vehicle and if you have your gun locked in a box in the trunk it would even be more difficult for them to make you open the locked box. But could you still be fired? Of course. There are some places that they may have ability to search, like working at the federal reserve, Nissan plant, correction facility.

That's my issue.
My work doesn't own our buildings or the parking lot but we work on federal and local government contracts.

#3136224 - 01/23/13 03:39 PM Re: Question? Guns at work. [Re: 89cherokeelimited]
GRAMPS
14 Point

Loc: Mount Carmel, TN

The last two jobs that I worked at made you sign an agreement that your car could be searched any time it was on company property. Had to sign this agreement on your first day of work. Both places also included knives along with guns.

I am seeing no guns, knives, or other weapons signs at more and more business's in Kingsport. Last two doctors offices I went to had new signs telling that no guns or knives were allowed in the building.

#3136237 - 01/23/13 03:50 PM Re: Question? Guns at work. [Re: strutandrut]
TAFKAP
14 Point

Loc: Memphis

Originally Posted By: strutandrut
I didn't want to hijack another thread so I thought I'd ask in a new one. Anyone who knows me knows I'm very Pro 2nd amendment, and I carry.

On the subject of guns at work and in parking lots...

If a business owner does not want guns on his property, does he have the right to refuse to allow it. Since it is his personal property, does he have the right to set the rules on his property?

Opinions?

Anything contained within the confines of a space supported by (4) tires I own is considered MY property under MY control. Pi$$ on anyone that says otherwise.

Page 2 of 9 <12345>Last »

Moderator:  RUGER, Unicam, gtk, Tennessee Todd, Lakeland Charlie, Cuttin Caller, CBU93, stretch, TurkeyBurd, MAN, Bobby G, Kimber45, Crappie Luck 
Hop to:
Top Posters
RUGER
Deer Assassin
BSK
Crappie Luck
spitndrum
Newest Members
camohunter3, mtd, Higdon23, blcmrr2008, Urban deer Hunter
13270 Registered Users
Who's Online
94 registered (jakebird, shaneb, JeepKuntry, redheadshooter, UTGrad, Doskil, 10 invisible) and 160 anonymous users online.
Forum Stats
13270 Members
42 Forums
93024 Topics
1087025 Posts

Max Online: 788 @ 11/11/13 08:06 PM
Moon Phase
CURRENT MOON
September
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Forum Donations
The TnDeer.Com Deer Talk Forum is for Tennessee Deer Hunters by Tennessee Deer Hunters. If you enjoy using our Talk Forum and would like to contribute to help in it's up-keep. Just submit your contribution by clicking on the DONATE button below and paying with PayPal or a major credit card. Any amount is much appreciated. Thanks for your support!

TN Burn Safe

Generated in 0.139 seconds in which 0.001 seconds were spent on a total of 15 queries. Zlib compression enabled.