Tndeer Logo

Page 7 of 7 « First<34567
Topic Options
#3153851 - 02/06/13 01:11 PM Re: # of Sightings During A Season [Re: Football Hunter]
MUP
Non-Typical

Loc: Just North of Chatt-town

Originally Posted By: Football Hunter
 Originally Posted By: MUP
Although I had a record opening day in buck activity, my total sightings for the entire year were less than 15 total deer. I only hunted my property this season tho, no public or quota hunts.
Wow,how many times did you go,I saw that many,probably more opening weekend.

I went every Sat, morning and eve, minus one sat morning I believe, with some scattered evenings during the week. I do put in the time, it's just that there are only so many deer in my neck of the woods. I did manage to kill a good 7pt during ML, and a little broken 7pt during rifle, after letting a 110" 8pt get by me on opening day tho. Great season for me, and keeps getting better each year it seems for good buck sightings, just not a large quantity of deer as a whole.

ML 7pt:

Little broken, actually 6pt I called corkscrew that I had let pass on opening day, but, during a foggy morning saw him come thru after a doe up behind me and thought he was "Big Forky" a split main 6pt that I had seen on opening day and just couldn't let him pass thinking it was him when I saw the similarity, but still happy with him nonetheless:

Amateurs: Built the Ark

Professionals: Built the Titanic

#3154585 - 02/07/13 05:00 AM Re: # of Sightings During A Season [Re: BSK]
10 Point

Loc: Tennessee

Originally Posted By: BSK
 Originally Posted By: Winchester
Overlooked and out of mind, equals a great place most every time!!! This holds true a scary amount of time when dealing with public land

Thankfully, I don't hunt public land. But I bet finding de facto sanctuaries in high-pressure public land is absolutely key to killing older bucks.

For the benefit of those that do hunt public land Winchester (and 102, as I know you hunt a lot of public land as well), would you mind listing some of the things you look for in finding these de facto sanctuaries on heavily hunted public land?

Just found the post. I've been making a man cave in the basement.
I only get to come up for air on Thursday mornings.

Actually I have a GPS cell-phone adaptor that lets me track the where abouts of Winchesters cell phone. That leads me to his truck, and thus, the good stuff on public land!

But when this does not work out...

SHOE LEATHER!!!

I rarely use a map. I never have. Not because I can't, but because maps tend to tell EVERYONE who can read them where to go.

I begin by talking to as many people as I can, especially the area manager. Then I look for the nastiest, steepest, thickest, most hunter un friendly place I can find that is nearest the food source.

If this place is too obvious, I write it off. And move on to the next.

This does not always work, so to be completely honest, I have to say that finding these "public honey holes" simply takes time and experience.

But mostly time.

And sometimes, I find these hot spots in places that literally make my jaw drop.

Once I was hunting a well known WMA near some thick cover next to private land. I could see an old grown up barn in a honeysuckle/briar thicket about 100 yards over the line.
One evening I watched as a bruiser came out from under the old barn. I later left my stand and bow at my tree (before going home) and went to investigate. This buck obviously lived UNDER that old barn.

More later. Gotta go for now.
SCAPAS.stay calm and pick a spot.

#3154786 - 02/07/13 09:14 AM Re: # of Sightings During A Season [Re: catman529]
deerhunter10
10 Point

Loc: maury county tn

Originally Posted By: catman529
 Originally Posted By: deerhunter10
I cant speak for bsk...but i am glad i don't hunt it either. You don't got to worry about people getting in your spot or walking on you when your hunting. And you can manage the herd a lot easier. But i have a lot of respect for those that do tough hunting!
you can't manage the herd and people can walk in on you, but I enjoy hunting public land and it's rewarding killing a pressured deer. This upcoming season my goal is a 3.5 year or older deer on public land, if I put in my scouting and hunting work and have a good dose of luck it might be possible.

I have been hunting all of our farms for atleast 6-16 years and i have yet to ever have anyone walk in on me.. and noone hunts around us except one and we only kill mature deer us and him so we can manage a lot better then most.

#3156162 - 02/08/13 11:58 AM Re: # of Sightings During A Season [Re: catman529]
BSK
Jerkasourous of the non-typical kind
Non-Typical

Loc: Nashville, TN

Overlooked and out of mind, equals a great place most every time!!! This holds true a scary amount of toime when dealing with public land

Thankfully, I don't hunt public land. But I bet finding de facto sanctuaries in high-pressure public land is absolutely key to killing older bucks.

For the benefit of those that do hunt public land Winchester (and 102, as I know you hunt a lot of public land as well), would you mind listing some of the things you look for in finding these de facto sanctuaries on heavily hunted public land?
just curious BSK, why are you glad you don't hunt public land?

Because of the control we have over our family owned and hunted land.

We control who is hunting and where they are hunting. We hunt cooperatively, in that we discuss before every hunt where everyone is going to be hunting, so we don't negatively affect each other. In addition, because we keep such detailed records, before someone choosing a spot to hunt, a hunter will know how many times it has been hunted previously and what has been seen from that area.

And most importantly, every hunter is basically on the same page management-wise. We all know the goals of our management, know the rules, and know the status of the management effort, working cooperatively to advance that management effort.

"There is no reasoning someone out of a position he has not reasoned himself into." --Clive James

#3156208 - 02/08/13 12:31 PM Re: # of Sightings During A Season [Re: BSK]
catman529
spiderboy
16 Point

Loc: Franklin TN

Overlooked and out of mind, equals a great place most every time!!! This holds true a scary amount of toime when dealing with public land

just curious BSK, why are you glad you don't hunt public land?

Because of the control we have over our family owned and hunted land.

We control who is hunting and where they are hunting. We hunt cooperatively, in that we discuss before every hunt where everyone is going to be hunting, so we don't negatively affect each other. In addition, because we keep such detailed records, before someone choosing a spot to hunt, a hunter will know how many times it has been hunted previously and what has been seen from that area.

And most importantly, every hunter is basically on the same page management-wise. We all know the goals of our management, know the rules, and know the status of the management effort, working cooperatively to advance that management effort.
makes sense from a management perspective. Have you hunted much public land in the past, and if so, did you like that type of hunting where management isn't much of a factor and its more about killing a wary, high pressure deer among other hunters?

#3157182 - 02/09/13 09:28 AM Re: # of Sightings During A Season [Re: catman529]
BSK
Jerkasourous of the non-typical kind
Non-Typical

Loc: Nashville, TN

makes sense from a management perspective.

And simply an enjoyment perspective. Not having to worry about other hunters wandering in on you at any time of day is huge.

Quote:
Have you hunted much public land in the past, and if so, did you like that type of hunting where management isn't much of a factor and its more about killing a wary, high pressure deer among other hunters?

I have not hunted public land since we bought our property in '87. In fact, buying land for hunting only became a priority after the incredibly negative experiences I had hunting public land.

"There is no reasoning someone out of a position he has not reasoned himself into." --Clive James

Page 7 of 7 « First<34567

Moderator:  RUGER, Tennessee Todd, Unicam, Cuttin Caller, CBU93, stretch, Bobby G, TurkeyBurd, Kimber45, Mrs.Unicam, Crappie Luck 
Hop to:
Top Posters
RUGER
Deer Assassin
BSK
Crappie Luck
spitndrum
Newest Members
TnDear, buckslayer85, crose84, Fisher 1959, AKeys
13384 Registered Users
Who's Online
30 registered (reloadxx, muzzy76, DIRTTRAX, BluegrassDan, dh1984, Hangnail, 4 invisible) and 118 anonymous users online.
Forum Stats
13384 Members
42 Forums
95877 Topics
1122696 Posts

Max Online: 788 @ 11/11/13 08:06 PM
Moon Phase
CURRENT MOON
October
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Forum Donations
The TnDeer.Com Deer Talk Forum is for Tennessee Deer Hunters by Tennessee Deer Hunters. If you enjoy using our Talk Forum and would like to contribute to help in it's up-keep. Just submit your contribution by clicking on the DONATE button below and paying with PayPal or a major credit card. Any amount is much appreciated. Thanks for your support!

TN Burn Safe

Generated in 0.044 seconds in which 0.001 seconds were spent on a total of 14 queries. Zlib compression enabled.