Tndeer Logo

Page 2 of 2 <12
Topic Options
#3132523 - 01/20/13 10:01 PM Re: Plantar fasciitis [Re: Vermin93]
TAFKAP
14 Point

Loc: Memphis

Originally Posted By: Vermin93
I think I might have this going on with my left foot. It's some major pain when it flares up. I'll be walking along just fine and then wham! It feels like the bottom of my foot just got stabbed with a knife. I limp around for a few minutes and the pain eventually subsides, sometimes for hours or even days. Then just about when I've forgotten about it wham! More stabbing pain. It's getting to the point where I'm afraid to walk too much.

I guess I'll break down and call a foot doctor in the morning.
Anybody else dealt with this?

I was told years ago to fill empty orange juice cans with water and freeze them. Roll them under the arch of your foot. For exercises, pace back and forth (short distances...20' or so) on your heels. Turn around, and do it on your tippy toes. You should develop longer and longer distances, and it should help strengthen the tendon giving you pain. Coupled with the ice, you should see improvement.

Have you considered new shoes? You may want something with substantial arch support, and never walk around barefoot for a while.

#3132549 - 01/20/13 10:19 PM Re: Plantar fasciitis [Re: Cottontop]
Vermin93
12 Point

Loc: Dallas, TX & Signal Mtn, TN

Thanks for all the suggestions. I'm going to try them for a while and see if I can avoid a doctor visit. Coincidentally, my neighbor just sold their house to a foot doctor. However, he doesn't move in for over a month. I may offer to trade him some venison for some medical advice.

#3132592 - 01/20/13 11:21 PM Re: Plantar fasciitis [Re: Vermin93]
ROB
TnDeer Old Timer
8 Point

Loc: Murray, KY USA

Advil/Motrin or Aleve would be a good idea, too.

#3133931 - 01/22/13 04:36 AM Re: Plantar fasciitis [Re: Vermin93]
beachguy
10 Point

Loc: USA

I need to lick this thing quick.

Haha.....not gonna happen. 12 years ago the dr said "we can make it better but it will never be gone". good luck!

#3134062 - 01/22/13 08:04 AM Re: Plantar fasciitis [Re: beachguy]
PalsPal
8 Point

Loc: TN

Originally Posted By: beachguy
I need to lick this thing quick.

Haha.....not gonna happen. 12 years ago the dr said "we can make it better but it will never be gone". good luck!

Sure it can. I had my only bout 3-4 years ago. It lasted a few months. It got worse when I was refereeing 3-4 games of basketball a day on Saturdays.

I did the stretches etc, which helped, but in fact it may have been turkey season that finally got it to ease up. Thankfully, I haven't had any issues since.

Good luck with it!

#3134220 - 01/22/13 09:53 AM Re: Plantar fasciitis [Re: PalsPal]
Bowdacious
Skillet
16 Point

Loc: over here

Stretches, exercise, frozen peas and good shoes. New balance is the best I e found for it. No waking barefoot and if its killing you, you can sleep in a hiking boot to keep it in a neutral position or buy a brace for it at the drug store. Trust me. \:\)

There is a difference between being proud and being conceited

Beware the skillet ---O

#3134246 - 01/22/13 10:09 AM Re: Plantar fasciitis [Re: TNCharlie]
EastTNHunter
10 Point

Loc: Rhea Co., TN

Originally Posted By: TNCharlie
Probably a good idea to see the dr.

The advice in the other notes is pretty much dead on. The frozen water bottle is especially good.

A very helpful exercise is to try to touch your shin with your toes. Stretch hard and you will feel the pull in the sole of your foot. That means it's working. Do this for 5 - 10 secconds as many times during the day as you think of it.

Lean forward and place your hands against a wall. Stretch the afflicted foot/leg out behind you and usng the toes of the hurting foot try to push the wall down.

These exercises will cure the problem - eventually. That's the other problem. It takes time for this to heal. Even though you will get some relief in the interim, expect real relief after a month to 6 weeks. Don't give up. I had decided that the exercises weren't doing any good but couldn't see any reason to stop doing them. It was about 6 weeks before one day I said, "Hey, my foot didn't hurt me today." Even though I'm cured I still do the exercises.

^^^^^^ This! And orthotic insoles. Dr. Sholes for around $15 at Wally World. They really support the arch and pad the heel and help to keep the ligaments from contracting, making the relief from stretching last longer.

Edited by EastTNHunter (01/22/13 10:11 AM)

#3134255 - 01/22/13 10:17 AM Re: Plantar fasciitis [Re: Bowdacious]
Vermin93
12 Point

Loc: Dallas, TX & Signal Mtn, TN

Originally Posted By: Bowdacious
Stretches, exercise, frozen peas and good shoes. New balance is the best I e found for it. No waking barefoot and if its killing you, you can sleep in a hiking boot to keep it in a neutral position or buy a brace for it at the drug store. Trust me. \:\)

So you are saying the days of spending the summer in a pair of flat, $6 flip flops is probably over for me?

#3134337 - 01/22/13 11:23 AM Re: Plantar fasciitis [Re: EastTNHunter]
TAFKAP
14 Point

Loc: Memphis

Originally Posted By: EastTNHunter
 Originally Posted By: TNCharlie
Probably a good idea to see the dr.

The advice in the other notes is pretty much dead on. The frozen water bottle is especially good.

A very helpful exercise is to try to touch your shin with your toes. Stretch hard and you will feel the pull in the sole of your foot. That means it's working. Do this for 5 - 10 secconds as many times during the day as you think of it.

Lean forward and place your hands against a wall. Stretch the afflicted foot/leg out behind you and usng the toes of the hurting foot try to push the wall down.

These exercises will cure the problem - eventually. That's the other problem. It takes time for this to heal. Even though you will get some relief in the interim, expect real relief after a month to 6 weeks. Don't give up. I had decided that the exercises weren't doing any good but couldn't see any reason to stop doing them. It was about 6 weeks before one day I said, "Hey, my foot didn't hurt me today." Even though I'm cured I still do the exercises.

^^^^^^ This! And orthotic insoles. Dr. Sholes for around $15 at Wally World. They really support the arch and pad the heel and help to keep the ligaments from contracting, making the relief from stretching last longer.

If you're at the point of having plantar, store-bought cheapies won't cut it. If good shoes won't fix the problem, a podiatrist fitting you for custom orthotics is where you need to be.

#3134502 - 01/22/13 01:23 PM Re: Plantar fasciitis [Re: TAFKAP]
beachguy
10 Point

Loc: USA

I had customs made for $400. But the powersteps for $22 were head and shoulders better, not even close actually. stretch your calfs religiously. Get off your feet.

Page 2 of 2 <12

Moderator:  RUGER, Unicam, gtk, Tennessee Todd, Lakeland Charlie, Cuttin Caller, CBU93, stretch, TurkeyBurd, MAN, Bobby G, Kimber45, Crappie Luck 
Hop to:
Top Posters
RUGER
Deer Assassin
BSK
Crappie Luck
spitndrum
Newest Members
yarddawg54, schiesser, bigdoc, Bggamehunter, willy2763
13605 Registered Users
Who's Online
1 registered (dfleming) and 47 anonymous users online.
Forum Stats
13605 Members
43 Forums
100233 Topics
1180122 Posts

Max Online: 788 @ 11/11/13 08:06 PM
Moon Phase
CURRENT MOON
December
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30 31
Forum Donations
The TnDeer.Com Deer Talk Forum is for Tennessee Deer Hunters by Tennessee Deer Hunters. If you enjoy using our Talk Forum and would like to contribute to help in it's up-keep. Just submit your contribution by clicking on the DONATE button below and paying with PayPal or a major credit card. Any amount is much appreciated. Thanks for your support!

TN Burn Safe

Generated in 0.007 seconds in which 0.002 seconds were spent on a total of 15 queries. Zlib compression enabled.