Tndeer Logo

Page 2 of 3 <123>
Topic Options
#3132776 - 01/21/13 08:53 AM Re: Beech trees going down [Re: RiverRat213]
diamond hunter
6 Point

Loc: Goodlettsville Tennessee USA

Great idea,kinda what I wanted to do when a forester comes and to identify other lessdesirable trees.BTW does anyone think think we should save some of the larger more maature actually good looking beech just for the turkeys and overall forest beauty of just wack them all?Maybe leave 1 or 2 per acre literally for seed? Another question,would it benefit me to plant a loblolly in those treetops every little bit just to create even better bedding there? These beech trees that im cutting are in my strict sanctuary and here I go walking through it trying to make it better.

#3132824 - 01/21/13 09:27 AM Re: Beech trees going down [Re: RiverRat213]
Football Hunter
Non-Typical

Loc: Wilson Co/Perry Co

Originally Posted By: RiverRat213
Ive found that instead of killing myself all winter its easier to get a few rolls of flagging and take the kids on a nature walk and teach them what beevh are and mark them all that way if my cutting efforts get postponed due to work of honey do's i can get after them during the summer months as well with less effort in locating them. Just my 50 cents worth
Do it how you like,but I would rather do any chainsaw work when its cold as opposed to hot.

You wont know,if you dont go!

#3133048 - 01/21/13 12:52 PM Re: Beech trees going down [Re: diamond hunter]
lpo1981
6 Point

Loc: Dickson, TN

Originally Posted By: diamond hunter
Great idea,kinda what I wanted to do when a forester comes and to identify other lessdesirable trees.BTW does anyone think think we should save some of the larger more maature actually good looking beech just for the turkeys and overall forest beauty of just wack them all?Maybe leave 1 or 2 per acre literally for seed? Another question,would it benefit me to plant a loblolly in those treetops every little bit just to create even better bedding there? These beech trees that im cutting are in my strict sanctuary and here I go walking through it trying to make it better.

i planned on leaving some of my more mature beech trees for that reason.. Really planned on going through my property and whacking any tree less than 12-16" in diameter. I have several beeches that are almost 4ft in diameter..

#3133061 - 01/21/13 01:08 PM Re: Beech trees going down [Re: diamond hunter]
BSK
Jerkasourous of the non-typical kind
Non-Typical

Loc: Nashville, TN

Originally Posted By: diamond hunter

I only whack a bunch of beeches in two situations: 1) near some of my hunting set-ups I cut down all the small, young beeches that are greatly obscuring visibility (but not the mature trees); and 2) I cut the vast majority of beeches--young and old--in areas I have had heavily thinned through commercial logging. Not only do the mature trees block a huge amount of sunlight from hitting the ground (a single mature beech can shade a 1/4 to a 1/2 acre), but the young beeches will dominate the regrowth in the canopy-opened area if I don't remove them (I am trying to maximize oak regeneration in these heavily thinned areas).

"There is no reasoning someone out of a position he has not reasoned himself into." --Clive James

#3133285 - 01/21/13 04:21 PM Re: Beech trees going down [Re: treefarmer]
timberjack86
14 Point

Loc: Grundy county

Originally Posted By: treefarmer
Beech are of value if not hollow and are large enough for railroad cross ties so if you are planning a timber sale soon, leave them for sale. Cross ties don't bring a lot, but better than pulpwood prices.
x1000! They bring 30 cents a board foot.

Edited by timberjack86 (01/21/13 04:21 PM)

#3133371 - 01/21/13 05:29 PM Re: Beech trees going down [Re: timberjack86]
BSK
Jerkasourous of the non-typical kind
Non-Typical

Loc: Nashville, TN

Originally Posted By: timberjack86
Beech are of value if not hollow and are large enough for railroad cross ties so if you are planning a timber sale soon, leave them for sale. Cross ties don't bring a lot, but better than pulpwood prices.

I have so much Mountain Chestnut Oak that is used for cross-ties that I really don't need to worry about saving the few beeches that aren't hollow. In fact, on south-facing slopes, Mountain Chestnut Oak is the only tree I have with any value at all (besides chip/pulp).

"There is no reasoning someone out of a position he has not reasoned himself into." --Clive James

#3133378 - 01/21/13 05:33 PM Re: Beech trees going down [Re: BSK]
timberjack86
14 Point

Loc: Grundy county

Originally Posted By: BSK
 Originally Posted By: timberjack86

I have so much Mountain Chestnut Oak that is used for cross-ties that I really don't need to worry about saving the few beeches that aren't hollow. In fact, on south-facing slopes, Mountain Chestnut Oak is the only tree I have with any value at all (besides chip/pulp).
Hey bsk if you keep up with prices sometimes mountain chestnut oak can reach prices equal to good whiteoak logs. I have sold it for 90 cents to $1 a foot board feet. That sure beats 40 cents a board foot for cross ties.

#3133385 - 01/21/13 05:37 PM Re: Beech trees going down [Re: RiverRat213]
brmaster
6 Point

Loc: TN, Shelbyville

if ya just wanna cut trees, i got a few horse apple trees that need to come down,,,,,,,just saying,
cause if you come do it, I wont have to ,,,,,,

#3133675 - 01/21/13 08:08 PM Re: Beech trees going down [Re: brmaster]
ROUGH COUNTRY HUNTER
16 Point

Loc: FRANKLIN COUNTY

the tracts of land that we lease,the loggers never touched the first beech tree
#3133755 - 01/21/13 08:55 PM Re: Beech trees going down [Re: RiverRat213]
Bone Collector
14 Point

Loc: Murfreesboro, TN

Is that an oak tree laying in front of it?

“There are hunters and there are victims. By your discipline, cunning, obedience and alertness, you will decide if you are a hunter or a victim.”
General James Mattis

Page 2 of 3 <123>

Moderator:  Bobby G, Unicam, CBU93, stretch, Kimber45, Mrs.Unicam, Crappie Luck, gtk 
Hop to:
Top Posters
RUGER
Deer Assassin
BSK
Crappie Luck
spitndrum
Newest Members
yarddawg54, schiesser, bigdoc, Bggamehunter, willy2763
13605 Registered Users
Who's Online
2 registered (TennTurkeyHunter, larry.boy.k) and 63 anonymous users online.
Forum Stats
13605 Members
43 Forums
100233 Topics
1180122 Posts

Max Online: 788 @ 11/11/13 08:06 PM
Moon Phase
CURRENT MOON
December
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30 31
Forum Donations
The TnDeer.Com Deer Talk Forum is for Tennessee Deer Hunters by Tennessee Deer Hunters. If you enjoy using our Talk Forum and would like to contribute to help in it's up-keep. Just submit your contribution by clicking on the DONATE button below and paying with PayPal or a major credit card. Any amount is much appreciated. Thanks for your support!

TN Burn Safe

Generated in 0.007 seconds in which 0.002 seconds were spent on a total of 15 queries. Zlib compression enabled.