Tndeer Logo

Page 1 of 2 12>
Topic Options
#3132823 - 01/21/13 09:27 AM Shrimp-Crawfish Boil
rabbit hunter
14 Point

Loc: Beech Bluff, TN

I love going to these. I am wanting to do my own boil. Anyone have any good recipes or tips? Thanks

#3132847 - 01/21/13 09:53 AM Re: Shrimp-Crawfish Boil [Re: rabbit hunter]
BamaProud
12 Point

Loc: Shelby County, TN

content Online
I used to do a bunch of them when I lived in Mobile.

There isn't much to them you can add whatever you want new potatoes, corn, whole okra, sausage, mushrooms whatever you like. Make sure the corn and potatoes are added well ahead of the seafood so they have time to cook. I like the Zatarans liquid(oil) crawfish/crab boil. it helps make shrimp(and somewhat the crawfish) easier to peel. But I also throw in a couple of the seasoning bags.

I wouldn't try to do shrimp and crawfish together. Shrimp only take 2-3 min's to boil, Crawfish take a few more min's and need a longer(20 min's or so) post boil soak. I guess you could do one, then do the other.

if you do multiple batches, the later batches will get better and better.

#3132861 - 01/21/13 10:04 AM Re: Shrimp-Crawfish Boil [Re: BamaProud]
Redfred16
8 Point

Loc: Hartland, WI

My in-laws say the trick is to toss each batch in a cooler, then sprinkle with the dry seasonings. Close the lid till the next batch is ready. The steam gets trapped in the cooler and gives the meat an extra flavor burst.

I don't know if it works like that, but they make some darn good crawfish.

"Recon Ready"
Airborne and Air Assault Blood Wings Worn Here

#3132932 - 01/21/13 11:19 AM Re: Shrimp-Crawfish Boil [Re: Redfred16]
BamaProud
12 Point

Loc: Shelby County, TN

content Online
 Originally Posted By: Redfred16
My in-laws say the trick is to toss each batch in a cooler, then sprinkle with the dry seasonings. Close the lid till the next batch is ready. The steam gets trapped in the cooler and gives the meat an extra flavor burst.

yes! I should have posted that step. Also, I have never been a fan of putting then in ice immediately after removing them from the boil to "stop the cooking process". Lots of people do it, I just don't think they turn out as tasty.

#3132950 - 01/21/13 11:32 AM Re: Shrimp-Crawfish Boil [Re: BamaProud]
TAFKAP
14 Point

Loc: Memphis

Originally Posted By: BamaProud
I used to do a bunch of them when I lived in Mobile.

There isn't much to them you can add whatever you want new potatoes, corn, whole okra, sausage, mushrooms whatever you like. Make sure the corn and potatoes are added well ahead of the seafood so they have time to cook. I like the Zatarans liquid(oil) crawfish/crab boil. it helps make shrimp(and somewhat the crawfish) easier to peel. But I also throw in a couple of the seasoning bags.

I wouldn't try to do shrimp and crawfish together. Shrimp only take 2-3 min's to boil, Crawfish take a few more min's and need a longer(20 min's or so) post boil soak. I guess you could do one, then do the other.

if you do multiple batches, the later batches will get better and better.

At work, we toss the skrimps in about 2 minutes before we're ready to pull the entire thing.....right after cutting off the burner.

#3132953 - 01/21/13 11:34 AM Re: Shrimp-Crawfish Boil [Re: BamaProud]
TAFKAP
14 Point

Originally Posted By: BamaProud
 Originally Posted By: Redfred16

yes! I should have posted that step. Also, I have never been a fan of putting then in ice immediately after removing them from the boil to "stop the cooking process". Lots of people do it, I just don't think they turn out as tasty.

A coonass buddy of mine would freeze 2L bottles of water, then put them in the cooker after his cooking process was done. Remove the now thawed ice bottles, and let the bugs soak in their own cooking water for a while.

It works great, but really diminishes your ability to put out more than one batch in a reasonable amount of time.

#3133206 - 01/21/13 03:15 PM Re: Shrimp-Crawfish Boil [Re: TAFKAP]
Nitro
Spike

Loc: Chattanooga, TN

Ordered 20 lbs crawfish last spring from Louisiana crawfish co. They overnited and all were alive in a cooler at my doorstep next day. Get the jumbo's.
#3134232 - 01/22/13 10:03 AM Re: Shrimp-Crawfish Boil [Re: Nitro]
Bayou Buck
10 Point

Loc: Spring Hill / Perry Co

I usually boil about 40 lbs at a time and here is a basic recipe. Fill pot with the correct amount of water. Add a few onions, lemons (sliced in halves and sqeezed), several cloves of garlic, celery, a few bay leaves, 1 large container of Zatarans crawfish boil season powder, one medium bottle of crab boil liquid. (red potatoes would be added now) Bring to a rolling boil.

Add crawfish and bring back to a rolling boil. Then turn off the pot. At this point add some sweet corn and mushrooms. Spray down the outside of the pot with cold water to cool it off. Let the crawfish soak for about 20 to 25 minutes or until they all sink from the surface. (This means they soaked up the liquid.) Check occasionally to see if they are ready. If they are overcooked they will be hard to get out the shell.

#3134242 - 01/22/13 10:06 AM Re: Shrimp-Crawfish Boil [Re: Bayou Buck]
Bayou Buck
10 Point

Loc: Spring Hill / Perry Co

Oh yeah, some people like to add a little lemon oil right at the end.
#3134386 - 01/22/13 11:54 AM Re: Shrimp-Crawfish Boil [Re: Bayou Buck]
TAFKAP
14 Point

I always love to add a few artichokes and a bag or 2 of Brussels sprouts.

Page 1 of 2 12>

Moderator:  Bobby G, RUGER, Unicam, gtk, CBU93, stretch, Kimber45, Kirk, Crappie Luck 
Hop to:
Top Posters
RUGER
Deer Assassin
BSK
Crappie Luck
spitndrum
Newest Members
PEhunter, Amy pesterfield, Blood seeker, fghijk604245, top_of_the_foodchain
13289 Registered Users
Who's Online
82 registered (chimneyman, DaveB, mimitk, TIGGREM2, John3, ImThere, 13 invisible) and 175 anonymous users online.
Forum Stats
13289 Members
42 Forums
85382 Topics
1031704 Posts

Max Online: 788 @ 11/11/13 08:06 PM
Moon Phase
CURRENT MOON
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5
6 7 8 9 10 11 12
13 14 15 16 17 18 19
20 21 22 23 24 25 26
27 28 29 30
Forum Donations
The TnDeer.Com Deer Talk Forum is for Tennessee Deer Hunters by Tennessee Deer Hunters. If you enjoy using our Talk Forum and would like to contribute to help in it's up-keep. Just submit your contribution by clicking on the DONATE button below and paying with PayPal or a major credit card. Any amount is much appreciated. Thanks for your support!

TN Burn Safe

Generated in 0.267 seconds in which 0 seconds were spent on a total of 15 queries. Zlib compression enabled.