Tndeer Logo

Page 4 of 5 <12345>
Topic Options
#3130264 - 01/18/13 10:13 PM Re: Odd situations that ruined one of your hunts [Re: pledbetter]
catman529
spiderboy
16 Point

Loc: Franklin TN

confused Online
 Originally Posted By: pledbetter
Wow , I would pay good money to witness a couple of these stories go down.

This past season I had hunted about a 15 acre woodlot almost exclusively , because of one particular buck that I knew was using it. My hunting buddy and I have had this 200 acre farm leased for 6 years , and we always had the understanding that if one of us were in a certain stand , that the other one would respect him and not enter the area.
Well , after not being able to hunt a bunch this year , because of work , I was finally able to figure out what I was gonna have to do to be able to get on these deer using the woodlot , and was not gonna be easy!!! So , on this particular morning we met up extra early and went to the farm. When I say early , I mean at 3:30 a.m. I was ready to start my 300 yard journey to my stand.
By 4:30 a.m. I was about 125 yards and I had to literally get down on my hands and knees and start crawling through one of the most dense thickets I have ever seen , and right in the middle of this thicket there is a creek that I had to cross. Let me just say that it was pretty cold that morning , but hey if it means a possible shot at a mature deer , i'll go to extreme measures , lol.
I finally made it to the stand about 20 minutes after daylight and I hadn't heard a single deer spook.
I had been in the stand about 45 minutes and was watching a group of does feeding about 30 yards from my stand when I heard what sounded like a deer running in a thicket about 100 yards in front of me. Then I heard the grunts coming from the thicket and started catching glimpses of a buck chasing another deer. I couldn't tell how big he was and definitely had no
getting a clear shot , just be patient I kept telling myself , maybe the doe will bring him out of the thick stuff. This goes on for about 10 minutes , then I get a text from my buddy saying "hey im gonna walk around , I aint seen a single deer". I tell him " man its only like 8 oclock and the deer are just now starting to move". He replied , "ok , im gonna go check the field where the shooting house is". (Which is on the back side of the farm , probably about 500 yards away from the stand I was hunting , so I think ok , if he goes back there it won't bother the deer i'm seeing.)
I text him back and say "ok just please don't come over here because i've got a buck chasing in this thicket".
He said "ok , good luck".
15 or 20 minutes later , BOOM BOOM , no more than 75 or 100 yards to my right , totally the opposite direction from where he said he was going and maybe 50 yards from the thicket where the buck is.
I text him and ask if that was him and he said "yep I decided to go to the truck and jumped a small doe ". I'm sitting there dumbfounded and pretty irritated because if he had been going to the truck he went the looooooong way around , which just so happens to take you right by the woodlot I was in.
He text again saying the doe ran toward me and that he was gonna check for blood. Before I could tell him to stay where he was , the buck in the thicket must've realized what was going on because he came full throttle out of the thicket , I figure he was about 2 counties before I ever had a chance to even think about trying to find him in the scope. Oh man , I was beyond mad. I have no idea exactly how many points he had , or what he might have scored , but I do know he was a definite shooter and he was biiig bodied.
I really didnt think I could've gotten any more upset , until I finally got down and found my buddy , who had already pretty much ran back to the spot where he started the morning out.
When I did finally get to where he was , I noticed he had a different gun than he usually hunted with. He had brought the 30/30 that he had bought the night before. He gave $100 for it and didn't even know if it even shot , much less if it was sighted in. I ask what in the h@#ll he was thinkin when he decided to use a gun that he had never even seen fired and he said he just wanted to test it out. That's when I totally lost it , I had been able to hold my tongue for the most part until he said that.
Needless , to say he is no longer a hunting buddy of mine !!! That was the last time I hunted this past season. I mean it was bad enough that he ruined any chance I might've had at that buck , but to use a gun that he had never even shot?!?!? I respect deer and enjoy hunting too much to share the woods with someone like that , but thats just me , lol.
So if anyone hears of a lease in bedford county or anywhere close , i'm definitely looking.
well dang, that sucks. Hope you find a new spot to hunt.

...since last deer season

#3130277 - 01/18/13 10:20 PM Re: Odd situations that ruined one of your hunts [Re: pledbetter]
redblood
16 Point

Loc: Lewisburg

this following event has haunted my dreams and occuppied my thoughts for the 20+ years since it happened. i am no closer to explaining it now that i was the blue skied mid october friday that it took place. i was 14 or 15 hunting on a farm that i still hunt to this day. it is the farm i cut my teeth hunting and it is still the best farm i have ever hunted. it was and is family land,owned by my uncle. his son was my best friend and classmate. it was the friday after parent teacher conference and one we never had to go school on in my home county. the farm i grew up on and lived was just a mile down a country rd from this one. That morning, like any other i hunted, i rode my honda 250 fourtrax atv to my uncles farm, crossed by his tyson chicken barns, opened the gate, road across a big field and drove the atv just inside the woods. i would walk the last 1/4 mile down the logging road to the oak knoll in the middle of a 60 acre woods. this morn was no different. It was a perfect day, cool clear with the slightest of breezes, just enough to make the orange leaves dance a bit. i remember seeing alot of deer, but none within bow range. mid morning, i would say 830 or so, i heard my atv fire up. i was shocked a bit, but not overly concerned. i figured my uncle might need to move it to access the logging rd, although i couldnt think why. i heard the atv meander back into the field at half throttle and putt around the big field a bit for heading through an adjacent woods and head to the back pastures. i eventually heard the engine purr out of ear shot, disguised in the rustling of the leaves. Finally at 10 or so, with deer movement dwindling, i made my way back out the logging rd to where i had left the atv. no surprise, it wasnt there. i followed where my mind told me the sound had led and picked up my tracks on a muddy lane seperating two fields and came across my atv in a small interior field sitting pretty much dead center in it. looking around i saw no one, i half heartedly called out looking for a responce i never got. i started it up and headed back out. as i pulled through the gate by the chicken barns owned by my uncle, i expected to see his old brown chevy truck sitting there laughing his arse off at his trick. instead i see a red ford pulling in. The man who got out of the truck was an old sour puss that lived down the rd. i knew him fairly well, he owned several chicken barns himself. he was nearly cripple and on the north side of 70. i asked him where my uncle was. he told me that my uncle and family used the long weekend to head to the smokies for a weekend getaway and he was watching the chicken barns while they were gone. i was shocked. when my uncle and cousin returned, i didnt tell them what happened i just asked what time they left. it turned out that they had left at noon the day before the event happened. remember this is a rural area on a friday during mid bow season. 1988-1989. very low hunting pressure at that time during rifle, much less during bow season. still think about that day each time i walk down that logging rd. still no answers.

#3130511 - 01/19/13 08:53 AM Re: Odd situations that ruined one of your hunts [Re: redblood]
Wes Parrish
16 Point

Loc: Knoxville-Dover-Union City, TN

Originally Posted By: redblood
. . . . . still no answers.

SOMEONE was in the process of stealing your atv?

#3130641 - 01/19/13 10:52 AM Re: Odd situations that ruined one of your hunts [Re: ]
Andy S.
TnDeer Old Timer
14 Point

Loc: Atoka, TN

Winchester - that's one of the funniest stories I have read in a long time. Thanks for sharing.

If I had saved all the money I spent on hunting, I'd spend it on hunting.

#3130664 - 01/19/13 11:18 AM Re: Odd situations that ruined one of your hunts [Re: Andy S.]
pressfit
10 Point

Loc: Giles Co. Tn

content Online
Winchester.. you win!!!!

#3130701 - 01/19/13 11:55 AM Re: Odd situations that ruined one of your hunts [Re: pressfit]
Vermin93
12 Point

Loc: Dallas, TX & Signal Mtn, TN

shocked Online
I have a story from this season but it's not nearly as good as Winchester's. On Dec 30th I hiked quite a ways back into some TVA land to hunt an oak flat that was loaded with fresh sign. One side of the oak flat bordered a strip of pasture that was private property. I climbed about 25ft up a red oak that was at least 50 yds inside the TVA land. I spent the early morning scanning across the oak flat and down into the creek bottom that bordered it. Occasionally I would turn my head and look into the pasture to see if any deer were coming from the private property onto the TVA land. Around 9am I look into the pasture and see blaze orange. A guy, presumably the land owner, was standing still in the middle of the strip of pasture. He was dressed in camo with a blaze orange hat and vest and a rifle over his shoulder and he was just standing there staring at me. I know I stood out like a bonfire in that tree because it was cold and I was wearing a big blaze orange parka. He just stood there staring at me for a few minutes and then he turned around and walked away into the woods on the far side of the pasture. I figured he must have decided to hunt elsewhere since he saw me. About 15 minutes go by and then I hear a truck in the distance and it sounds like it's coming closer. Sure enough, here he comes in his pickup down the edge of the pasture that borders the TVA land. He stares up at me as he drives by and then he goes down to the end of pasture and parks the truck and gets out and takes a leak. Then he gets back in the truck and drives up the other side of the pasture and stops the truck and gets out. He proceeds to dismantle some kind of ladder stand that apparently he had placed just inside the woods on the other side of the pasture. The stand was in sections and as he takes it apart he chucks each section into the pasture. The noise of metal clanging together must have echoed for over a mile. Each time he throws a new piece of the stand into the pasture he looks over at me. Then he proceeds to toss each piece of the stand into his truck bed, which makes even more racket as the pieces clang together. This whole episode lasts about 20 minutes. I pondered whether to climb down and relocate, but I didn't want to give him the satisfaction of running me off so I stayed put in my climber and just ate my lunch. Then he drives up to the top of the pasture and over a small hill out of sight, but he's not gone yet. I hear him stop the truck and get out. Next, he starts shooting his rifle. He fires about 5 or 6 shots over the course of a few minutes. Finally I hear him get in his truck for good and drive off. I didn't see or hear him the rest of the morning. I also didn't see or hear any deer the rest of the morning.

#3130847 - 01/19/13 03:00 PM Re: Odd situations that ruined one of your hunts [Re: Wes Parrish]
redblood
16 Point

Originally Posted By: Wes Parrish
 Originally Posted By: redblood
. . . . . still no answers.

SOMEONE was in the process of stealing your atv?

i dont think so. there is no exit on the backside of the property and he never even drove to any boundary.

#3131710 - 01/20/13 11:07 AM Re: Odd situations that ruined one of your hunts [Re: Vermin93]
redblood
16 Point

Originally Posted By: Vermin93
I have a story from this season but it's not nearly as good as Winchester's. On Dec 30th I hiked quite a ways back into some TVA land to hunt an oak flat that was loaded with fresh sign. One side of the oak flat bordered a strip of pasture that was private property. I climbed about 25ft up a red oak that was at least 50 yds inside the TVA land. I spent the early morning scanning across the oak flat and down into the creek bottom that bordered it. Occasionally I would turn my head and look into the pasture to see if any deer were coming from the private property onto the TVA land. Around 9am I look into the pasture and see blaze orange. A guy, presumably the land owner, was standing still in the middle of the strip of pasture. He was dressed in camo with a blaze orange hat and vest and a rifle over his shoulder and he was just standing there staring at me. I know I stood out like a bonfire in that tree because it was cold and I was wearing a big blaze orange parka. He just stood there staring at me for a few minutes and then he turned around and walked away into the woods on the far side of the pasture. I figured he must have decided to hunt elsewhere since he saw me. About 15 minutes go by and then I hear a truck in the distance and it sounds like it's coming closer. Sure enough, here he comes in his pickup down the edge of the pasture that borders the TVA land. He stares up at me as he drives by and then he goes down to the end of pasture and parks the truck and gets out and takes a leak. Then he gets back in the truck and drives up the other side of the pasture and stops the truck and gets out. He proceeds to dismantle some kind of ladder stand that apparently he had placed just inside the woods on the other side of the pasture. The stand was in sections and as he takes it apart he chucks each section into the pasture. The noise of metal clanging together must have echoed for over a mile. Each time he throws a new piece of the stand into the pasture he looks over at me. Then he proceeds to toss each piece of the stand into his truck bed, which makes even more racket as the pieces clang together. This whole episode lasts about 20 minutes. I pondered whether to climb down and relocate, but I didn't want to give him the satisfaction of running me off so I stayed put in my climber and just ate my lunch. Then he drives up to the top of the pasture and over a small hill out of sight, but he's not gone yet. I hear him stop the truck and get out. Next, he starts shooting his rifle. He fires about 5 or 6 shots over the course of a few minutes. Finally I hear him get in his truck for good and drive off. I didn't see or hear him the rest of the morning. I also didn't see or hear any deer the rest of the morning.

sounds like he didnt want any competition

#3132386 - 01/20/13 08:38 PM Re: Odd situations that ruined one of your hunts [Re: redblood]
jjake40lb
Spike

Loc: TN, USA

Went hunting one afternoon during muzzle loader and found a couple (in there 50's) having sex in my foodplot. Wasn't 30 yards from my treestand.
#3132444 - 01/20/13 09:11 PM Re: Odd situations that ruined one of your hunts [Re: jjake40lb]
rem270
18 Point

Loc: south fulton

happy Online
 Originally Posted By: jjake40lb
Went hunting one afternoon during muzzle loader and found a couple (in there 50's) having sex in my foodplot. Wasn't 30 yards from my treestand.

Ive heard at that age if the opportunity arises dont let it go to waste no matter where your at \:D

Its not what happens in life, but how you react to it that matters.

Page 4 of 5 <12345>

Moderator:  RUGER, Tennessee Todd, Unicam, Cuttin Caller, CBU93, stretch, Bobby G, TurkeyBurd, Kimber45, Mrs.Unicam, Crappie Luck 
Hop to:
Top Posters
RUGER
Deer Assassin
BSK
Crappie Luck
spitndrum
Newest Members
zatoan, DanParchman3, saddleman1, Jculber301, Mik475
13282 Registered Users
Who's Online
164 registered (Hardwoodmaterials, trap55555, Columbia Scott, Rob R., RUGER77MAN, Remington742, 22 invisible) and 224 anonymous users online.
Forum Stats
13282 Members
42 Forums
93329 Topics
1089734 Posts

Max Online: 788 @ 11/11/13 08:06 PM
Moon Phase
CURRENT MOON
September
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Forum Donations
The TnDeer.Com Deer Talk Forum is for Tennessee Deer Hunters by Tennessee Deer Hunters. If you enjoy using our Talk Forum and would like to contribute to help in it's up-keep. Just submit your contribution by clicking on the DONATE button below and paying with PayPal or a major credit card. Any amount is much appreciated. Thanks for your support!

TN Burn Safe

Generated in 0.097 seconds in which 0.001 seconds were spent on a total of 15 queries. Zlib compression enabled.